PDA

View Full Version : Air Bag Light Gremlin and the dealership...

paulbare
07-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Anyone have any luck getting the dealership to spring for the upgraded under-seat wiring / connector / harness that causes the Airbag light to come on in pretty much every E36 car?

My understanding is that there is a TSB floating around related to the wiring harness / seatbelt tensioner and this very common problem, and the instruction is not to replace the tensioner, but to replace the connectors / harness under the seat with a newly designed / improved one.

My thought is that this is a safety issue that has been identified by BMW, and addressed with an upgraded part, and that would likely be covered on a "good will" basis (I know, "good will" and dealership aren't ever used in the same sentence).

Anyone have any experience?

Dayclone
07-30-2007, 11:25 PM
Well I personally have an E46 and the airbag light is on... I really don't care. Yes it's a saftey issue but drive safe :D.

I'll get it into a dealership or Shendi's or w.e. it is one of these days... maybe he can fix it.

Steve

paulbare
07-31-2007, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I talked to Shenni, and its either a wiring harness upgrade under the seat, or a seat belt tensioner. About a 2hr fix give or take, as they have to take the seat out.

Dayclone
08-01-2007, 02:24 PM
How much were they going to charge you?

Steve

Glenn 328is
08-03-2007, 08:41 AM
Can you find that TSB? I have had my airbag light on for so many years, it is fading. I wouldn't mind finding out about this upgraded harness.

Originally posted by paulbare
Anyone have any luck getting the dealership to spring for the upgraded under-seat wiring / connector / harness that causes the Airbag light to come on in pretty much every E36 car?

My understanding is that there is a TSB floating around related to the wiring harness / seatbelt tensioner and this very common problem, and the instruction is not to replace the tensioner, but to replace the connectors / harness under the seat with a newly designed / improved one.

My thought is that this is a safety issue that has been identified by BMW, and addressed with an upgraded part, and that would likely be covered on a "good will" basis (I know, "good will" and dealership aren't ever used in the same sentence).

Anyone have any experience?

HillBilly
08-04-2007, 08:27 AM
same bullshit is happening to the E39's. I am glad I have a Peake SRS tool to take care of that annoying light.

Dayclone
08-04-2007, 09:17 AM
I was planning to buy a ODB II Code Reader, and plug it into my Bimmer and see what was wrong... but this is just too much of a hassle...

e36bmw///
08-06-2007, 08:37 PM
nm