PDA

View Full Version : Roll Cage?

Trini
07-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Is there any law against having a roll cage in your street car?
Cause I've seen some cars with built in roll cages driving around.
IMHO this isn't safe at all, one smack of your head against that metal and you could be dead.

avow
07-30-2007, 08:53 PM
i always thought that the bars were covered in foam in most applications.

Trini
07-30-2007, 08:58 PM
even with foam it wuld still be a hard hit

4wheeldrift
07-30-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't think there's a law against it that I can recall, but driving a car with a full cage on the street would suck lol getting in and out through the windows is not so good for popping by your local 7-11. Anything you can smash your head into has to be covered with a special type of energy absorbing foam with most sanctioning bodies, but without wearing a helmet it would still ring your bell pretty good.

That being said I do know people who drive cars with fairly extensive cages on the street and I don't really see an issue with it. There's plenty in the car to slam your head into as it is. Hitting the window or the A pillar would hurt just as much as hitting the cage.

avow
07-30-2007, 10:11 PM
oh yea, i forgot that you normally cant use the doors with a roll cage. baha, that would be so funny to watch someone at safeway do :rofl:

arian_ma
07-31-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by avow
oh yea, i forgot that you normally cant use the doors with a roll cage. baha, that would be so funny to watch someone at safeway do :rofl:

Well...it really depends on how intense your roll cage is, most of them don't block the doors I don't think...

teggypimp95
07-31-2007, 08:43 AM
Yeah most of them just have a bar that comes down at a angle so you need to slightly step over it but u can still open your door no problem.

And saying you will smack your head on it is a pretty weird thing to say
Usually those with roll bars have racing seats and 4 or 5 point harnesses so if you need roll or crash you usually dont move that much. ALso as mentioned above, the areas that might be close to your head are covered in a crash foam. Which would probably hurt no less than hitting your head on the pillar or window.

They are legal.

Trini
07-31-2007, 08:45 AM
oh well once u got the harness you should be safe..as said above it would keep you in place.

thanatos1111
07-31-2007, 08:52 AM
For those that really care, there's Swing out kits that you can install on the doors that connect the roll cage from the rear hoop to the front by your feet. Roll cages are way safer than what you'd think.... Properly installled and designed ones anyway. In street stock I hit the wall at around 60mph dead on when my rear axle pulled out, and I got a minor seat belt burn and it barely tweaked the front frame rail. A regular street car would probably have been piled up right up to the firewall...

CSMRX7
07-31-2007, 08:55 AM
I would not drive a full caged car on the street without a helmet (which would lokk pretty crazy).

Even a padded cage is a huge hazard on the street. All it takes is a small fender bender to end up hurt or dead. Its happened way to many times (including this city) to risk it.

If you have a car in need of a full cage it shouldn't be street driven.

Trini
07-31-2007, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by CSMRX7
I would not drive a full caged car on the street without a helmet (which would lokk pretty crazy).
unless you are the stig from top gear

Lo)2enz0
07-31-2007, 07:17 PM
i have a 5 point safety 21 cage and i would have to admit, pad it cause i have tapped my head a couple of times on it. but a full cage is nuts

Redlyne_mr2
07-31-2007, 11:51 PM
I have super low seats so my head is like 2 feet from the roof, Im so far from the cage and once im strapped in I dont move anywhere.

Milk2%
08-01-2007, 12:06 AM
its all comes down to how good your seats are/4 point+ harness seatbelt. a roll cage without a 4point or with stock seats is not a good idea, but it can also save your life. Also i'd hope you would take the car to a track with a rollcage, not just for show.