PDA

View Full Version : Drywall advice...

Tik-Tok
07-30-2007, 09:45 PM
I've started to put up the drywall boards in my basement, for those who are pro's, I'm wondering how many drywall screws should I use to keep the ceiling ones up (4x8's, 1/2").

Also, whats the biggest gap I should have between the boards for mudding/taping, obviously the closer the better, but in a few awkward area's I've have some space between the sheets, is 1/2" going to screw the mudding/taping up?

Freeskier
07-30-2007, 09:52 PM
1/2" is a big gap, it'll take a lot of grout. When we installed ceiling pads we put screws in 1 foot intervals around the edge, so 4x8 and then a few thrown in the center. 5 i think. But whether that's industry standard i dont know, I just did what they told me.

Annoyingrob
07-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Last time I laid drywall, I was told one foot intervals with screws.

1/2" is a pretty decent gap. The problem is you're going to have to put a lot of mud in it to fill, and that super thick chunk of mud is going to take a loooong time to try. It'll probably sag too. My advice, mesh it first, then mud it, and if it's not looking right, depending on the length of the seam, you may have to patch it with some new drywall.

bosanel
08-01-2007, 09:45 PM
9-12 screws

a minimum of 2 millimeters (about 1/8 of an inch) but do try to keep it as close as possible.

Anel

Masked Bandit
08-02-2007, 08:47 AM
You're fine with the 1/2". The tape will cover it. I think for the ceiling stuff you are supposed to use slightly longer screws as well.

clockworkboy3
08-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Use 2 inch nails on the ceiling. On the butt joints screws should be about 7 inches apart and 12 inches in the center. Always cut the drywall so that the cut ends sit on half of a joist. Thats called the butt end. Make sure you are putting it up horizontal each end on a joist. 1/2 an inch is no problem as long as you take your time mudding.

Tik-Tok
08-02-2007, 09:37 AM
thanks guys, I appreciate the info.

MtYurmom
08-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob
Last time I laid drywall, I was told one foot intervals with screws.

This is correct. I used to do drywall for a company here when i graduated highschool. 1 foot is great spacing for the screws. Dont just throw some in the middle though, line them up, do it right the first time, you wont have to come back in 2 years and do it again.

As for your 1/2" gap, if its just one spot, consider taking it down and redoing that spot. Just a suggestion, and i assume thats the reason you said it to begin with. Any other choice would be to pack it with mud. And the worst thing you could is pack it all at once. it wont dry fast at all, and it'll crack. SO small amounts, let it dry, add some more.