PDA

View Full Version : Fitness Goals

bigbadboss101
07-30-2007, 10:36 PM
You guys should put your realistic but assertive fitness goals here. Report back regularly and see how you and others are doing.

My goals:

- 32" waist
- Squat 225+ live weights
- Not much above 10% bf
- 4.4 on the 40 yard dash
- Be stronger and more flexible all around

Currently:

- 195 lbs
- 5'8"
- Asian (now and forever)
- 34-35" waist
- Squat 160 live weight, 180 or so deadweight.
- High high teens in bf.

I play many sports but want to be faster, stronger, last longer etc.

How about you?

TVG
07-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Physique-wise,

Right now I am 5'7 180, 14% bf

Cutting in September, hope to get down to 10%. Actually, I don't hope, I will. Hoping not to lose much muscle while I do it.

Goal by next summer is to be 190 8% bf. So basically I have to lose 10 pounds of fat and gain 20 pounds of muscle. I think I should be OK with the fat, but I did not gain 20 pounds of solid muscle this past year so that may be hard.

Lifts-wise,

I am at 305 max squat and 395 max dead right now. I don't barbell bench, but I use 105's for 6 on DB bench.

Hoping to get squat to 365, dead to 445 and DB bench to 120s would be sweet.

I also need to work on my cardio, because right now I am basically at the level of a beginner cardio wise.

kerry
07-31-2007, 08:30 PM
I have some ridiculous goals that are attainable but taking their toll recently lol.

I was REALLY fat but have gotten my bf down to about... 18% maybe a bit higher.
Went from basically 270lbs with not much strength/muscle to 255 and quite a bit
more muscle/power since March 15th.

When I started training (I'm using a very generic but easy to understand way of
explaining) I could only bench press 180. I got up to my body weight (255 now)
and stopped trying for more. Cardio is much better than before and overall
endurance has gone up significantly as well.

I'm 6'0 and always have been a huge dude. I have a big body structure and
won't (and to be honest don't really want to) ever be under 200. I'm just
too big which is fine by me. Just want to get bf down more.

Gained significant definition in arms, back, legs but still have q decent amount of
fat on my stomach area. It's really weird actually.

In any case my goal (yes it's a cheezy one but too bad)

I want to be able to dress up as King Leonidas for Halloween this year and do a
decent job of pulling it off. I have the muscle mass but alas am still too fat. =) You can pull
off a lot in 3 months though.

I wish I could DB bench 120's. Only at 100's hahaha.

PeterGTiR
07-31-2007, 10:41 PM
How do you guys know your body fat percentage?

Currently at:
157 lbs
5'7"
30" waist
Runs a 10K in 53:55

Goals:
Run a 10K in 47:30

kerry
08-02-2007, 12:06 AM
You can goto pretty much any physio office and get them to do a test. They
either use pinchers or a neat new electric current they send through your
body. It's very weak so it won't harm you, but it'll give you body fat %
based on how long it takes this current to go from one hand to the other.

1-Bar
08-02-2007, 12:15 AM
caliper 7 pt. test = ftw

Electrode test can be skewed by h20 levels/smoking/alcohol/food

pinoyhero
08-02-2007, 06:02 AM
Some other goals for you to consider:

1. Bench + Squat + Dead = Total Weight
2. 1K run
3. Body Fat

Darkane
08-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
caliper 7 pt. test = ftw

Electrode test can be skewed by h20 levels/smoking/alcohol/food

That's correct.

The absolute best way is to be submerged in a tank of water, But I don't think anyone offers that anymore.

My goals are simple for now:

Increase Basal metabolism. Still a little low from a while of reduced caloric intake. I didn't know how to diet properly 2 years ago and screwed my thyroid doing 2000cals and under. People, this is a sure way of failure. But I think I caught myself just in time. Do a G-Flux diet instead. More food + More work = More body recomposition.

Rehab my lower back into shape again. JUST able to do some squats again for 185x6. Hope to get back up to 250+ soon.

Start doing Deads again If I feel i'm up to it

Keep Increasing Bench.

I don't have set numbers or anything, I believe that would deter me If I didn't hit them so I go along making gains, any gains. Better than loses ;)

TrevorK
08-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
The absolute best way is to be submerged in a tank of water, But I don't think anyone offers that anymore.

Actually, I think the water displacement test has been replacement by a DEXA test.

The DEXA test uses Xrays to scan density and estimate lean muscle/body fat. It's advantage is that there is no way for the person being tested to influence the readings. With the water weighing, there are variables that are directly related to the person doing the test, which can increase the margin of error.

DEXA scans can be done in private labs, and the last place I talked to charged $80-90 for one (Health care typically doesn't cover it).

Hakkola
08-02-2007, 06:34 PM
My goal is to get stronger, feel good, and look good. I don't care how much I can lift, or how much I weigh, as long as I look good and toned. :thumbsup:

That said I could probably use another 10-15 pounds. I think I'll be happy with my size at around 190.

bigbadboss101
08-02-2007, 06:47 PM
I'll give you 15 lbs :-). I think for me, 185-190 is good.

Darkane
08-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
My goal is to get stronger, feel good, and look good. I don't care how much I can lift, or how much I weigh, as long as I look good and toned. :thumbsup:

That said I could probably use another 10-15 pounds. I think I'll be happy with my size at around 190.

But in the end you should care how much you can lift because then you will know when to "personalize" your lifting. Many many trainers believe the best way to come through is focus on the big lifts until about 500/400/300 and then personalize.

Once you can do that, most of the time the size you have in the isolation muscles like Bi's will most likely be fairly big already :)

wintonyk
08-02-2007, 06:55 PM
i wanna get my mile to 5 minutes. I am currently running a mile in about 6 to 6:30.

I am a hard gainer with huge dietary restrictions (ie Celiac Disease).

I went from 140 a year and half ago to 160 this past january and presently I am floating between 170 and 180. I have a 5% bf but am having a hell of a time increasing it. Sounds stupid cuz i am opposite of everyone.

Doctor has been telling me to get the results i am looking for i need to be consuming upwards of 5500 kcal and over 200g of fat.

As for lifts... my biggest goal is to complete the "300" workout in less then 20 min. I am not too concerned about my strength b/c its definetly at my standards but I would like to work on endurance. I have only done the 300 workout twice. The first time was about 35 min and th 2nd time was about 26 min.

By the way check out www.gymjones.com and http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html

for some incredible ideas to help burn and gain muscle at same time. The key is multi range activities with limited rest.

1-Bar
08-02-2007, 10:59 PM

IIRC UofC has the "dunking for apples" equipment at their disposal :thumbsup: Costs about the same as said bone scan as posted above :thumbsup:

Darkane
08-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by 1-Bar

IIRC UofC has the "dunking for apples" equipment at their disposal :thumbsup: Costs about the same as said bone scan as posted above :thumbsup:

Interesting.. I might have to check that out. Thanks for the tip!

TrevorK
08-03-2007, 05:53 PM

But in the end you should care how much you can lift because then you will know when to "personalize" your lifting. Many many trainers believe the best way to come through is focus on the big lifts until about 500/400/300 and then personalize.

Once you can do that, most of the time the size you have in the isolation muscles like Bi's will most likely be fairly big already :)

In all fairness, the vast majority of people who lift weights will never hit big numbers.

Setting a goal is all about making it attainable, and for some people they have no desire to squat 400lbs or bench 300lbs. Instead, they'd rather focus on how they look in the mirror, which is perfectly fine.

bigbadboss101
08-03-2007, 11:30 PM
I like to look a certain way and be strong to a degree. Bulky is not my goal, but I do want to be toned, and strong for my size. Will take hard work to get there but that's good.

PeterGTiR
08-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Found a website that measures body fat percentage:

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

My body fat is 9.5% and I weigh 157lbs - I think my ideal weight is 150 - and only 15 lbs is fat. For a while there, I was going to the gym to get to my ideal weight...but that's probably not too healthy to go after...

WWJAI
08-05-2007, 09:24 PM
My goal for the next 8 months:

Currently 5'8 1/2", 167 lbs, and Asian

Cut down 10-15 pounds
Lift stronger (especially chest) and finally show some abs
Be able to run on the treadmill for 25 minutes at a decent speed

Not looking to get get body builder big..fairly happy with size and would just like to get a lil bigger and cut down on body fat and get toner. Am pretty confident I can do it in less than 8 months though.

kongaj
08-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Currently 255 and 6'6"
Came down alot this summer. Was 275 in March.
Looking to get down to 230-240 and have a nicer stomach and toned upper body. My legs are fine from all the biking ive been doing.
Need to do more cardio, I have quite a bit of fat in unwanted places.

Ive also been wanting to start running for sooo long. Need to start doing that.

mdeluxe
08-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by kongaj
Currently 255 and 6'6"
Came down alot this summer. Was 275 in March.
Looking to get down to 230-240 and have a nicer stomach and toned upper body. My legs are fine from all the biking ive been doing.
Need to do more cardio, I have quite a bit of fat in unwanted places.

Ive also been wanting to start running for sooo long. Need to start doing that.

hey, have you tried hot yoga, its a good and "easy" way to cut down