PDA

View Full Version : Registration right after buying vehicle

Euro_Trash
07-31-2007, 06:20 PM
You think I would know this after buying so many used cars, but I don't. I will be picking up a new vehicle on Thursday, and I need to drive from NW to Okotoks before I can register it the next day. I will have insurance set up already.
My question is: I have heard that you have 24 hours immediatly after buying a cars where you don't have to register the car. Is this true? Or do I need to get my insurance AND registration done before I can drive the car.
Thanks

ca18det240sx
07-31-2007, 06:22 PM
you have 14 days for registration, as long as you have insurance.

Team_Mclaren
07-31-2007, 06:22 PM
its 14days to transport your car without registration, but you'l need insurance iirc

Euro_Trash
07-31-2007, 06:23 PM
Its cool if I dont have a plate?

gram
If you currently have registration you have 14 days to renew your registration on the new used car. If you do not have registration you can go to the registry and get a temp plate (it's a peice of paper you affix to the window-replaces the licensce plate and reg for a certain period of time)

ercchry
when i got a ticket for no registration the cop said if i check with my insurance company and its cool with them i could hav grabbed the other plate off my registered car and used that

Euro_Trash
07-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Perfect thanks everyone.

Hemi RT
07-31-2007, 07:11 PM
If it is a replacement for a written off vehicle, just put your old plate on it, have the form you got from the insurance company and your old pink slip, you will be coverd by your old insurance for 7 days; this gives you time to contact your insurance company to have the policy transfered to you new vehicle. I've had to do this once.

schurchill39
07-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by ca18det240sx
you have 14 days for registration, as long as you have insurance.

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
its 14days to transport your car without registration, but you'l need insurance iirc

...see I saw rage's post about "having to have insurance before you drive the car" in BlkMaxima's thread, but I am going to have to disagree. It must be different with every insurance company because I specifically called up my old insurance company (co-operators) and asked them and they told me I had 14 days before I had to get the insurance switched over but they werent sure about registration. I called up the registries and they told me my registration was also 14 days.

Now with my new insurance company (Thompson Schindler Green RE: Axa insurance) its also the same concept... 14 days before I had to update my insurance.

Euro_Trash
07-31-2007, 07:31 PM
Well I will have insurance anyways, I just wanted to make sure about the registration

watch_obsessed
07-31-2007, 08:01 PM
You should inquire with the dealer if they will include registration for you. My dealer registered my new car for me.

Hemi RT
07-31-2007, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39

...see I saw rage's post about "having to have insurance before you drive the car" in BlkMaxima's thread, but I am going to have to disagree. It must be different with every insurance company because I specifically called up my old insurance company (co-operators) and asked them and they told me I had 14 days before I had to get the insurance switched over but they werent sure about registration. I called up the registries and they told me my registration was also 14 days.

Now with my new insurance company (Thompson Schindler Green RE: Axa insurance) its also the same concept... 14 days before I had to update my insurance.

It's not the insurance company you have to worry about; it's the provincial laws - You can NOT operate a vehicle on a public roadway without proper insurance.

Team_Mclaren
07-31-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39

you cannot be anymore wrong. Tell me, what happens if you got into an accident when you dont have insurance? you current insurance company sure as hell wont care as they have no record of your new vehicle.

Annoyingrob
07-31-2007, 11:38 PM
Getting a vehicle added to your insurance, and getting the proof of insurance faxed or emailed to yourself takes what, 5 minutes? Geeez, it's not that hard guys.

Any car I've bought, I called up the insurance company, got the insurance, went and bought the car, left the car and took the proof of sale document over to the closest registry, got a plate, then went back and got my car. Takes an hour and you have no legal worries.

schurchill39
08-01-2007, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

you cannot be anymore wrong. Tell me, what happens if you got into an accident when you dont have insurance? you current insurance company sure as hell wont care as they have no record of your new vehicle.

When I bought my truck from fishnchips here on beyond, thats when I called my old insurance company up and asked them what I should do. They were the ones who specifically told me that I have 14 days to insure any new vehicle I get. They told me as long as I have the bill of sale as well as my pink insurance card from my old car and my registration from my old car I was good to go. This was with the Co-operators, I also asked my new insurance company (Thompson schindler green Re: AXA insurance) and they have the same policy in place.

Originally posted by Hemi RT

It's not the insurance company you have to worry about; it's the provincial laws - You can NOT operate a vehicle on a public roadway without proper insurance.

I also disagree with this because I was pulled over when I got back to the hat with my truck because the plates didnt match the vehicle. When the officer came to ask for all my info I explained to him I just bought the truck. I showed him the bill of sale and the papers for the car that matched the plates and he just told me to have a nice night and "enjoy my new ride".

I pm'ed rage inquiring about this because of his replies in BlkMaxima's thread and he agrees that it varies from company to company but there is no set in concret rule. Best thing to do is call your insurance company beforehand or if you have the opportunity to... go get insurance for it like has been suggested. In my case I wasnt sure if I was even going to buy the truck until I actually saw it so I just brought my stuff from my old car.

EDIT: I also asked the co-operators when I was with them about moving a vehicle to a mechanics or something along those lines (I was working on my 240 but driving a beater pontiac 6000 at the time) and they told me I just need to call before I move the uninusred vehicle and let them know where I am taking it and they will put a note on my file saying its going to such and such mechanics place etc. Then the same deal applies: proof that car is mine then the other insurance card and registration card.

bobby_lu
08-01-2007, 08:21 AM
1. Get your insurance company to give you a slip for your new vehicle.

2. Bill of sale in the car up to 14 days (with old car's registration/plate) is ok. But thats providing the old car is not being used anymore.