PDA

View Full Version : what are teh different types of cars(rwd, fwd.. etc)

KPDrag0n
06-24-2003, 08:30 PM
kick me for not knowing but how does rear wheel drive and 4 wheel drive and such(are there any more) make a differnce in the performance of the car? do u have to drive differently for each type? what are the pros and cons for each type? thanks :D

Ekliptix
06-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Read This:

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/43847/article.html?tid=edmunds.o.landing.advice.tech.5.*

redline_13000
06-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Too lazy to type alot, but rwd is better for drag racing as weight transfers to the back of the vehicle under acceleration..more grip. Front wheel drive isnt too good for drag racing since the weight is transfered off the front to the back wheels. AWD is best for grip but doesnt help much while rolling, might lag a vehicle a bit also since theres more parts(heavier)

ryder_23
06-24-2003, 09:17 PM
RWD is also used heavily in racing, not only in a straight line...better cornering abilities, i feel that the car is more predictable when rwd...

Ekliptix
06-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
RWD is also used heavily in racing, not only in a straight line...better cornering abilities, i feel that the car is more predictable when rwd...

I wouldn't say "better".
weight, weright distribution, suspension etc have a greater impact I think.

redline_13000
06-24-2003, 09:23 PM
Also, rwd tends to oversteer, fwd understeer. I prefer oversteer:D

Ekliptix
06-24-2003, 09:26 PM
untill it happen while you're going over 80km/h

ryder_23
06-24-2003, 09:26 PM
Me too. understeer is harder to control when u go into a skid that oversteer, well atleast i believe...rear u can control it with the throttle, etc...

and yes the weight distro is alot better...i just prefer the control of rwd, but i still enjoy the fwd...rwd fun in the winter :thumbsup:

GTS Jeff
06-24-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by redline_13000
Also, rwd tends to oversteer, fwd understeer. I prefer oversteer:D actually, almost all rwd cars will still tend to understeer a bit. understeer and oversteer tendencies are function of suspension tuning. my car, a so-called "jdm drift machine" still naturally understeers.

Ben
06-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Understeer is traditionally safer in the hands of an inexperienced driver and as such, nearly all vehicles on the road understeer in their stock form.

ryder_23
06-24-2003, 09:50 PM
ya, i still think fwd more than rwd tho...but yes, both do understeer...if u go into a bad oversteer its harder to regain control the understeer, i just like the more challenging aspect of it

GTS Jeff
06-24-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
ya, i still think fwd more than rwd tho...but yes, both do understeer...if u go into a bad oversteer its harder to regain control the understeer, i just like the more challenging aspect of it most ff cars understeer more than rwd cars because of weight distribution...

and as for controlling oversteer, thats where a cars tendency to understeer comes in handy. for example, once u begin to oversteer, the only way to regain control is counter that oversteer with understeer. if u didnt, the car would just spin in circles.

THREE40SEVEN
06-24-2003, 10:40 PM
You guys forgot one thing.... FWD cars are typically SLOW:poosie:

Ekliptix
06-24-2003, 11:21 PM
uh oh, I sense trouble.

and IBTL.

redline_13000
06-24-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
untill it happen while you're going over 80km/h

not really, ive oversteered many times while well over 80kmh. Nothing much you can do about understeer though.

KPDrag0n
06-25-2003, 12:12 AM
ahem.. whats oversteer and understeer? sorry :(

^SkylinE^
06-25-2003, 12:28 AM
There is also AWD full time and AWD control systems.
A skyline is for the most part a rear wheel drive car only when the rear wheels start to slip does the computer send more power to to front wheels. And correct me if im wrong but aren't Audi TT's for the most part front wheel drive but also when the front wheels begin to slip the power is transfered to the rear wheels.

KPDragon

Under steer is when the front wheels begin to lose traction and the car tends to go straight instead of cornerin the direction that you want it to.

Over steer is when the rear wheels tend to lose traction and the back end comes out thus over rotating the car in a trun and oversteering!

^SkylinE^
06-25-2003, 12:29 AM
AWD talons are Full time AWD ! sorry forgot about that .

KPDrag0n
06-25-2003, 12:38 AM
ah thanks(includes everyone who replied ;))

mad_psyentist
06-25-2003, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by KPDrag0n
ahem.. whats oversteer and understeer? sorry :(

Oversteer is when your rear tires go past their traction limit faster than the front tires...so the back end drifts out.

Understeer is the opposite. It's like, you're going too fast to get into a corner and you slide straight past the corner and miss it. It's like trying to turn on ice. You turn the wheel but the car goes straight. The front tires have lost traction and slide.

DonJuan
06-25-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN
Ha ha, I was waitin for that to come out. Not bad Ford guy, Not bat at all!:burnout:

Oversteer gets the chicks, untersteer gets second place.
- Pimpin' Bible 3:16:thumbsup:

moyam
06-30-2003, 12:01 AM
Oh ok. But what are the acronyms FF and FR stand for? Is it the same as FWD or RWD or AWD?

GTS Jeff
06-30-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by moyam
Oh ok. But what are the acronyms FF and FR stand for? Is it the same as FWD or RWD or AWD? it refers to drivetrain layout.

FF = Front engine, Front wheels
FR = Front engine, Rear wheels

i imagine u can figure out what MR stands for..

Ashkente
06-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

i imagine u can figure out what MR stands for..

I'm glad someone mentioned it. My favorite :thumbsup:

THREE40SEVEN
06-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan

- Pimpin' Bible 3:16:thumbsup:
Is this available at chapters?:D

Boostn
06-30-2003, 07:50 PM
It's not just the drivetrain layout but involves engine placement as well. What's ideal depends on the individual and the application. Here's some different combinations and examples:

Front engine, front drive - Integra, Civic, Celica
Front engine, rear drive - Supra, Corvette, 300ZX
Front mid engine, rear drive - RX7, 350Z?
Rear mid engine, rear drive - MR2, NSX, Ferraris
Rear engine, rear drive - Porsche 911, old Beetles
Front engine, all wheel drive - DSM, Stealth, WRX, Evo
Rear engine, all wheel drive - Porsche 911 Turbo, Carrera 4

FWD is fine for daily street use but for racing it would be preferable to have something with RWD. AWD cars are heavy and have more complex drivetrains, although great traction... would produce some great 1/8, 1/4 times. Then again have you ever seen the Realtime Racing Integra Type R's? I dunno, it's all personal preference I guess. Others with much more racing/autocross experience can answer better.

moyam
06-30-2003, 08:28 PM
OK, so whats a Ford Mustang? I believe it's FR. Also how can you tell if it's mid front or mid rear?

Seanith
06-30-2003, 11:15 PM
a mid rear engine is literally in the rear of the car! In front of the rear wheels but behind the driver, and i don't know too much about front mid engine configs... a front mid engine car is usually a 2 seater or a 2+2 where teh driver is further back and the engine is farther back on the chassis..someone with better knowledge of this help me out! ;)

for the rear mid just think mr2 :)

GTS Jeff
06-30-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by ~$eanith~
a mid rear engine is literally in the rear of the car! In front of the rear wheels but behind the driver, and i don't know too much about front mid engine configs... a front mid engine car is usually a 2 seater or a 2+2 where teh driver is further back and the engine is farther back on the chassis..someone with better knowledge of this help me out! ;)

for the rear mid just think mr2 :) front midship...think 350z/g35c

Boostn
07-01-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by moyam
OK, so whats a Ford Mustang? I believe it's FR. Also how can you tell if it's mid front or mid rear?

It all depends on where the engine is situated in relation to the axle. A front mid engine vehicle will have the motor located on or just behind the front axle. The RX7 is a perfect example of this and can achieve this feat due to the tiny size of it's 1.3L rotary. A rear mid will have it on or just forward of the rear axle, good example would be the MR2. These designs try to optimize weight balance to achieve the ideal 50/50 distribution between front and rear. Not all succeed but they do come closer than any of the other layouts. And yes the Mustang is a front engine, rear wheel drive.

Ashkente
07-01-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
front midship...think 350z/g35c
RX-8 too, I believe

fast95pony
07-02-2003, 08:58 AM
Moyam's transport = RR ..... City Bus !!!!

:D

HillBilly
07-02-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN

It seems no one wants to play with you on this thread. Keep pushin those ricers:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mad_psyentist
07-03-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Boostn

Front mid engine, rear drive - RX7, 350Z?

Mmm... aren't engine/drivetrains classified in relation to the driver? There's just FR, FF and MR (Don't think something like an MF exists? Could be wrong) I'm certain my RX7's engine isn't 'mid' anything. The only true "front-mid" engine I've ever seen is in the Caterham Super Seven ... like anyone drives those.

HillBilly
07-03-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by mad_psyentist
Don't think something like an MF exists?

Sure it does. "Motherfucker":poosie:

mad_psyentist
07-03-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Stealth R/T

Sure it does. "Motherfucker":poosie:

How'd I miss that one?

:thumbsup:

Seanith
07-03-2003, 05:15 PM
its not the relation to the driver that matters.

Alpine Autowerks
07-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Front engine, front drive - Integra, Civic, Celica
Front engine, rear drive - Supra, 300ZX
Front mid engine, rear drive - RX7, Corvette, 350Z?
Rear engine, rear drive - Porsche 911, old Beetles
Front engine, all wheel drive - DSM, Stealth, WRX, Evo
Rear engine, all wheel drive - Porsche 911 Turbo, Carrera 4
Rear mid engine, all wheel drive - Diablo VT

Vettes have #1 plug behind the front axle, they started (sometimes) calling it front mid after Mazda first used it for the
RX-7