PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Lien

TegLover
08-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey i was wondering if any of you guys can help me out here.

Heres the situation; I was about to purchase this vehicle and found out it had a lien on it so i told the owner to get that cleared up before i bought the car. The owner agreed but he did not know about this lien so he checked with his bank and turn out BMO put the lien on the previous owner. The previous owner says he paid it off in full already and bmo fucked up. So today i get this letter stating:

"Please be advised that BMO Bank of Montreal no longer holds any interest in the above mentioned vehicle. If you have any questions or concerns, please do no hesitate to contact me directly at the phone number below.

From what this letter says, does that mean they released the lien?

Also i got a copy from CSRS AB discharge request. This request was submitted yesterday but i checked this morning at the registry and the lien is still on the vehicle. What the heck do i do now?

Weapon_R
08-02-2007, 11:38 AM
The first letter states that BMO no longer has a lien on the vehicle.

The lien still looks like its registered at the registries. You just wait it out until they can update their system.

Tik-Tok
08-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Clearing a lien can take a couple of weeks to process, as long as both your letters are legit from the actual bank, you're good to buy the car lien free.

Euro_Trash
08-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Along the same topic, if I get a sheet back saying "No matches found", that indicates there are no liens found right, not that a car matching the VIN I gave them could not be found? I screwed up the first time and gave them I's where there should have been 1's, but fixed it the 2nd time.

bobby_lu
08-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Yes, all that is needed is the letter from the bank. Registry's time to process it will vary.

I just dealt with this whole process a couple months ago.

TegLover
08-02-2007, 11:59 AM
thanks so much

I was kinda sketched about buying it since its cause so much headache, its been over 2 weeks now before they finally sent this letter. Everything checks out and i called the bank they even said it will take some time for the registry to renew their database.

Now on the bill of sale i'm assuming no lien, so say in 1 month time i check again and there is a lien can i still hold the previous owner responsible because the bill of sale states that i bought the car with no lien?

bobby_lu
08-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by TegLover
thanks so much

I was kinda sketched about buying it since its cause so much headache, its been over 2 weeks now before they finally sent this letter. Everything checks out and i called the bank they even said it will take some time for the registry to renew their database.

Now on the bill of sale i'm assuming no lien, so say in 1 month time i check again and there is a lien can i still hold the previous owner responsible because the bill of sale states that i bought the car with no lien?

I'm pretty sure there is something along the lines of "car is sold free of liens/encumbrances"

But just get the buyer to write it "car is free of any lien" , so you have his signature with that.

If you have the bank letter (lien holder's) letter, there shouldnt be any problem though.