PDA

View Full Version : Question for the hardcore drivers

T5_X
07-26-2002, 01:19 PM
My friend and I were talking last night about his old 240sx. He said that he didn't like the handleing because drifting around corners, the AWS would screw him up and was really hard to deal with. I asked him why he didn't just lay into the trottle to bust the rear tires loose and he said the AWS still screwed him up. I just don't see how, when the tires are spinning like mad, and tilted slightly or not, that they have much impact at all on control of the vehicle, until he regains grip. What do you guys think?

And why did AWS pretty much get phased out of cars? The prelude had it, 240sx, 300zx, stealth/3000gt but now, they're only putting it on big trucks to lessen turning circles in parking lot speeds.

Redlyne_mr2
07-26-2002, 01:22 PM
the reason why aws sucks is because it adds uneaded weight to the car, at slower speeds the handlign is great but once the speeds increase the car can become very unstable. Stillen actually sells a brace for the 300zx's that prevents the rear wheels from turning with the rest fo the car.

boi-alien
07-26-2002, 01:24 PM
i think vipers had AWS too... correct me if i'm wrong

Audi Kid
07-26-2002, 01:31 PM
my buddies 240sx handles like a MAD basterd....we took this corner at 100 it was a 90 degree corner...little drift but it took it soo nice manl....wew

Ben
07-26-2002, 01:37 PM
I never was a fan of AWS, a buddies prelude had it and I thought it was ass...felt good for small corners, but anything at speed and it was just not the sensation I enjoyed...

I can also see it being a fark of alot more expensive to fix when something goes wrong

rage2
07-26-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
My friend and I were talking last night about his old 240sx. He said that he didn't like the handleing because drifting around corners, the AWS would screw him up and was really hard to deal with.

I drove the last generation 240sx (1996?) hard around some back roads, and it was awesome around corners. I really liked the car... just needed more power. Not sure if that one had Super Hicas or not.

4wheeldrift
07-26-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
My friend and I were talking last night about his old 240sx. He said that he didn't like the handleing because drifting around corners, the AWS would screw him up and was really hard to deal with. I asked him why he didn't just lay into the trottle to bust the rear tires loose and he said the AWS still screwed him up. I just don't see how, when the tires are spinning like mad, and tilted slightly or not, that they have much impact at all on control of the vehicle, until he regains grip. What do you guys think?

And why did AWS pretty much get phased out of cars? The prelude had it, 240sx, 300zx, stealth/3000gt but now, they're only putting it on big trucks to lessen turning circles in parking lot speeds.

Even when the tires are spinning, there is still a bit of frictional force that is acting to turn the car (and, in this case accelerate it). While it would definetly make the effects of the all wheel steering less noticeable, it would still be there to a degree. The problem is, with all wheel steering or breaking the rears loose either way you end up with a lot of oversteer all of a sudden. It doesn't sound like your friend is terribly comfortable driving the car with his right foot yet. My advice to him would be either drive a little easier on the street so the AWS doesn't kick on all the time, or come to a solo 2 and drive the car hard with the AWS and learn how to deal with it in a safe environment.

All Wheel Steering got phased out for several reasons. The systems were very complex and extremely unreliable, needing constant care and adjustment to keep them working properly. They were also quite heavy. Last though, is the symptom your friend is fighting. The systems didn't engage right away, they kicked in only when you turned a certain amount, and this tended to make the cars very twitchy at high speed. All of a sudden the rear wheels would start to turn and the car is turning WAY sharper than you want. Most of the nissan race cars that were on platforms with Super HICAS eliminated the system entirely for these reasons.

GT2NV
07-27-2002, 12:47 AM
civic_rida made me love 240's:hitit: ahhh the good old days of drifting every corner , and doing donuts in every empty parking lot.... lol
ps - justin your a crazy driver:thumbsup: