PDA

View Full Version : why do games play funny in widescreen mode?

HiTempguy1
08-05-2007, 10:46 AM
I know that the thread title sounds wierd, but I am having a problem playing Xbox/Xbox 360 games in widescreen mode on my HD plasma TV. It is an LG 42" (if it matters, I can grab the actual model number). It is an actual HD LG, not one of the EDTV models that look exactly the same.

ANYWAYS, when I play games in widescreen (or even set the TV and xbox/xbox 360 to play in 4:3), the controls are majorly messed up. Obviously, the buttons work fine, but the analog stick ends up moving whatever is on screen too fast or not as expected (hard to describe).

For instance, playing Colin McRae 04' on the Xbox (or 360), having the TV set to widescreen and the console set to widescreen, you can virtually not keep the car on the road. Setting the TV to 4:3 and the consoles to 4:3 produces a slightly less exaggerated problem... is there a way to fix this? I am dissapointed that I have a HD TV that will make somebody splooge in their pants when they see tiberium wars on it, but does not play like a regular tv set. I also found once I had played (with an incredible amount of effort), I slowly was getting more used to the way the widescreen gameplay was... but even my buddy said that it was f*&ked up. Thoughts?

HiSpec
08-05-2007, 11:17 PM
i think the case here is that if the game doesn't support widescreen, setting the console to widescreen will just stretch the game wider, but the native format for the game it's still 4:3.

Also, shouldn't the TV automatically adjust for the input format from the game? The widescreen option is just an effect option i believe.

I'm sure someone can chime on this one as well.

z2two
08-06-2007, 12:52 AM
you have component cables right?

btw all 360 games support widescreen so thats not the problem.

HiTempguy1
08-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Yep, have the HD component cables (it was originally a core system, went out and purchased new cables). The thing that seems strange about it is that I can manually set the tv to play in 4:3 (as in the screen is not widescreen, and is only about the size of a 32" flatscreen on the TV itself), set the 360 to a standard tv setting, and it still doesn't work properly.