PDA

View Full Version : need help with full memory - no virus protection

mb935
08-05-2007, 08:25 PM
I was able to check and my computer states I have plenty of space on my drive - however my virus protection is not working because the "disk is full".

I tried scanning the disk and it took forever so i gave up (dont know if i should have done that).

I opened in safe mode and tried to save the settings from 2 weeks ago. (not sure if i explained that correctly - but i know ive done it before - but couldnt remember where the option is). I tried the system tools under the start button and in the control panel and cannot find it!!!

PLEASE someone let me know how to fix this - i was told that it may be a virus and once i have the computer "running" from a previous date I can start the anti-virus program to hopefully catch it - but right now i have zero protection and im really nervous even being here. :)

thanks

mb935
08-05-2007, 09:07 PM
RESTORE - i think is the word im looking for. i want to restore the computer to a few weeks ago - how do I do that?

My computer is now running very slowly. im really scared something will happen

Sharpie
08-05-2007, 09:21 PM
I would turn it off and never use it again.. The government could be tracking you....

Doozer
08-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore; then follow the instructions.

Any date on the calendar there that's bold will be a date where a restore point was created. Just pick one from the time you're looking for.

mb935
08-05-2007, 10:17 PM
I thought it would be there - I dont have that option though!! Under system tools - i have system info but not restore. I have windows 2000 if that means anything.

Any other options???

THANK YOU!! (DOOZER)

Doozer
08-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Well that's an important piece of info, since Win2000 didn't come with the system restore option. Even Win2000 Pro didn't. That was new for XP. So I wouldn't spend any more time trying to do a restore, unless you have an actual backup somewhere.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you can always do an online virus scan if your regular one doesn't work. The one I've used in the past is here: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ but there are a ton out there. I have a list somewhere that I'll see if I can try and find.

mb935
08-07-2007, 08:01 AM
I do have a backup disk.

But let me know if Im just freaking out over nothing - apparently the jerk who responded thinks so...

I just dont have any space on my hard drive and i havent downloaded anything in months... and if it is a virus - that worries me - i will try the online virus scan - thanks