PDA

View Full Version : Chicken on the Way!

JRSC00LUDE
08-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Been meaning to stop in there for about 10 years and finally did.

Salty + greasy + corn fritters = :drool: I haven't been this pleased with fried chicken for quite some time!

Also, just a block back towards 10th in the little strip mall on the right was a place advertising mexican pizza. We went in and had a burrito. Real nice guy runs that place, pizza looked good but already had a schwarma and four pieces of chicken and two corn fritters. Needed to save some room for tubby dog!

avow
08-07-2007, 12:36 PM
i love chicken on the way so much. im going to have to stop there tonight now :D

PINOY-X
08-07-2007, 12:37 PM
chicken on the way!!!!!!!!!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmm i love it ! ... its wayyy better than kfc !! :thumbsup:

WWJAI
08-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Me too.. I love chicken on the way. Hungry man deal.:drool:

Kritafo
08-07-2007, 12:42 PM
that is all I wanted for dinner last night... there is just something about chicken on the way...haha! In all it's artery clogging goodness, you have to get it all, the fritters, honey, gravy...Heart attack in a box.

:drool:

speaking of greasy chicken...Dixie Lee is opening a new location in Royal Oak. We use to call this Ghetto chicken, I first had it 26 years ago in Ontario. I will have to have it just to remember how bad it was. I know there was a location in the NE but I never tried it from there.

KappaSigma
08-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
that is all I wanted for dinner last night... there is just something about chicken on the way...haha! In all it's artery clogging goodness, you have to get it all, the fritters, honey, gravy...Heart attack in a box.

speaking of greasy chicken...Dixie Lee is opening a new location in Royal Oak. We use to call this Ghetto chicken, I first had it 26 years ago in Ontario. I will have to have it just to remember how bad it was. I know there was a location in the NE but I never tried it from there.

My extended family use to own and operate the NE one. Man, chicken was good. BUT it was all about the loaded potatoe spuds. SOOO good. I look forward to the new location being opened (no not my family doing it either).

KFC SUCKS!

bobby_lu
08-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Popeye's and Churchs FTW

Kritafo
08-07-2007, 01:09 PM
I hate KFC in Canada. But in the states...the thighs and leg bucket...with mashed potatoes...and gravy. Heaven in a bucket!

I am looking forward to the new Dixie Lee, it just says opening soon. HURRY! It's where the Mary Browns used to be.

lewdvig
08-07-2007, 01:17 PM
You know it is good Fried Chicken when there is a line of natives at the door. Those folks know their fried chicken.

That reminds me; there is a chicken joint on the Samson reserve near Hobema that I keep meaning to try. Sign is near the highway but I am always in too much rush to stop and try it.

HybridTheory
08-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Their corn fritters are so good but so bad for you :drool:

KappaSigma
08-07-2007, 01:23 PM
On a side note..if you are ever drivign say to lethbridge and pass through Clarseholm...stop at the 7/11. There chicken inside is quite tasty and super fresh!

Kritafo
08-07-2007, 01:56 PM
If anyone ever has the chance to go to Dolly Partons http://www.dixiestampede.com/

It's the most awesome meal I have ever had. No utensils at all...!! Very fun show

SunniSunShine
08-07-2007, 01:59 PM
i just came back from the states and shit do they have it good

POPEYES is amazing but extremely overpriced, they have these new buffalo chicken nugget thingamabobbers WOW!

at their mcdonalds they have slurpees.. :drool:

we stopped on the way home at some random gas station and they had pizza - it was better than any shit i ever had in Calgary!

Oh and for the sake of being on topic, i think chicken on the way is pretty terrible, at least it was when i last tried it a couple years ago

GOnSHO
08-07-2007, 02:01 PM
corn fritters FTW!!! i can eat jus those and be happy

JRSC00LUDE
08-07-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by SunniSunShine
i just came back from the states and shit do they have it good

POPEYES is amazing but extremely overpriced, they have these new buffalo chicken nugget thingamabobbers WOW!

Popeyes expensive? I thought it was super cheap AND DELICIOUS!!!!

Originally posted by SunniSunShine
Oh and for the sake of being on topic, i think chicken on the way is pretty terrible, at least it was when i last tried it a couple years ago

Go try it again, you were likely just young and stupid the first time. :D

SilverGS
08-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Chicken on the way is fantastic.

Must say though Popeyes in the states is better though. Too bad not in Canada.

Darkane
08-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by KappaSigma
On a side note..if you are ever drivign say to lethbridge and pass through Clarseholm...stop at the 7/11. There chicken inside is quite tasty and super fresh!

That 7-11 is probably the best chicken ever! Strips meal with honey mustard sauce and wedges. Nothing else to say....

SunniSunShine
08-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Popeyes expensive? I thought it was super cheap AND DELICIOUS!!!!

Go try it again, you were likely just young and stupid the first time. :D

CHEAP?

ma fucka, 10 bucks American for a 5 peice chicken strip meal is expensive, thats like $10.54 Canadian OMGGGGG :eek:

JRSC00LUDE
08-07-2007, 02:19 PM
^

I don't go for the gourmet shit like that, I just get chicken and popcorn chicken with a biscuit!

98type_r
08-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
corn fritters FTW!!! i can eat jus those and be happy

i could go for some fritters right about now...

szw
08-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS
Chicken on the way is fantastic.

Must say though Popeyes in the states is better though. Too bad not in Canada.

Going to toronto in a few days, i am going to eat an assload of greasy popeyes!

frozenrice
08-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Is Mary Brown's still kicking around? They opened here a few years ago.

clem24
08-07-2007, 03:41 PM
Mary Brown's...... UGH. It's basically salt served with some chicken. :barf: Thy're still around. Royal Oak I think? By blackfoot motorcycle, NE in Falconridge, probably a couple more. Chicken on the way FTW!

bulaian
08-07-2007, 03:44 PM
mmm Popeye's has the best chicken.... hot crispy chicken with a butter biscuit :drool: :drool:

never tried Mary Brown's yet, how does it compare? What about Nando's in the NE?

Kritafo
08-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Mary Browns use to be good like 15 years ago when I had it in London ON...and Churchs chicken use to be great as well, they had corn on the cob, and fried okra... mmm mmm good don't forget the fried apple pies...

I love Popeyes! I miss Cinnabon too! have some of that while your in Toronto too!

We had our fill of Cinnabon while in the states the last week. Cinnzeo sucks

Everything is better down there. We use to have Cream of Broccoli & Cauliflower cheddar soup, as well as a soup of the day at McD's in Detroit. It was always good, it was like .75 cents

msommers
08-08-2007, 12:40 PM
Two reasons I've never been to Chicken on the Way:

1) The smell surrounding the place is horrendous

2) In my lifetime, I've counted 4 times I've driven by there on 14st going south and saw an paramedics with someone on a gurney. Ironically, it's been really fat people on the gurney every time:rofl:

tylere
08-08-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Mary Brown's...... UGH. It's basically salt served with some chicken. :barf: Thy're still around. Royal Oak I think? By blackfoot motorcycle, NE in Falconridge, probably a couple more. Chicken on the way FTW!

Mary Brown's closed in Royak oak and there is now a Dixie Lee, I never checked out MB but I heard some mixed reviews about Dixie Lee. I will have to check it out considering I live right across the street, I can see it from my deck.

D. Dub
08-08-2007, 04:56 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

fritters

^AznDragon
01-03-2008, 01:59 AM
fritters make u od

icecreamvan
01-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by ^AznDragon
fritters make u od

bumping old threads without adding value makes you stupid.

dino_martini
01-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I've never had Chicken on The Way. I'll have to try it this weekend.

wardpr68
01-03-2008, 01:32 PM
my buddy works there and gave me a 12 piece meal free one time. It tasted quite good... but 30 mins later i thought i was going to die.

rmk
01-03-2008, 01:39 PM
i tasted some over the christmas break (2 day old combo) while drunk and it was surprisingly good. the fritters were tasty.

rated_R
01-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Had some last year...twas good while eating it at the time but a couple of minutes later I felt like throwing up:barf:

Mr. Burns
01-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I love Chicken on the Way. I always get a 2 peice combo with Breast and wing, and then 3 fritters. Douse the fries in vinegar, good to go.

Canmorite
01-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Delicious, but oh so bad.

tirebob
02-05-2008, 06:56 PM
I finally went here for the first time and I gotta say, best damn fried chicken I ever had! The corn fritters were pretty damn yummy too... I am hooked!!!

Redlyne_mr2
02-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Awesome Phuqu and I have been talking about doing dinner there for some time. The suspense is killing me!

WWJAI
02-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Awesome Phuqu and I have been talking about doing dinner there for some time. The suspense is killing me!

You can't do dinner there. There's no chairs nor tables to sit at. Bring home and dine.

AutodreamMarvin
02-05-2008, 07:59 PM
They have a table set up outside.

I don't know what the weather in Calgary is like right now though...

theken
02-05-2008, 08:26 PM
:barf: :barf: I would never eat there, delivered there a few times, almost :barf: ed

Donmega
02-05-2008, 08:56 PM
wish it was closer to the NE! :(

Eleanor
02-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Went there a couple nights ago. Wayyyyy better then KFC :thumbsup:

Now i've got a pizza place and a chicken place, I just need to narrow down my options for a chinese place ha ha

rmk
02-05-2008, 09:02 PM
They used to cook it up in the truck outside your house and bring it to you back in the day.

Rocky
02-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Isn't there a Mary Brown's in the NW? Coventry area by the Future Shop and EB...?

Donmega
02-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by theken
:barf: :barf: I would never eat there, delivered there a few times, almost :barf: ed

its not the same as before :(. Ill try it again one more time, but man that last 4 pc special was disgusting.

Trini
02-12-2008, 08:15 PM
will have to sample food from this fine establishment

theken
02-12-2008, 09:01 PM
hey speaking of chicken, i just had christies or whatever in lancaster yesterday, my fucking god was that the best chicken i have ever had in my life, mesquite ftmfw

FiveFreshFish
02-12-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
Isn't there a Mary Brown's in the NW? Coventry area by the Future Shop and EB...?

Yes.

http://www.marybrowns.com/storefinder/index.php?province=AB

VWEvo
02-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Went there a couple nights ago. Wayyyyy better then KFC :thumbsup:

Now i've got a pizza place and a chicken place, I just need to narrow down my options for a chinese place ha ha

What's your pizza place???

Kangol
11-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

nonlinear
11-16-2008, 08:42 PM
^^HOLY THREAD FROM THE DEAD. notice first and only post for this guy... looks like he's trying to promote his restaurant for free. (it's better than ANY chicken place i've been to LMFAO)

+1 for ban

1997GSR
11-16-2008, 08:46 PM
CHICKEN ON THE WAY :drool:

mrcoolawesome
11-16-2008, 08:52 PM
I've heard that place is good. I always laugh to myself when I drive past it because it looks like something you would see in a Grand Theft Auto game.

max_boost
11-16-2008, 09:03 PM
oh snap!
i just had chicken on the way last night haha the skin was a bit too salty for me but so i just ate the meat. damn it was so freaking good too. i had 6 pieces! :eek: and fast too, i think it took less than a minute after i paid and the lady goes, here ya go! lol

will be back for more!

toyboy88
11-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Kangol
You guys should check out this new place called Chicken Cottage in the NE it is way better than ANY other chicken place i've been to. It's a franchise from the UK and taste is awesome...get some BRITISH Flava in ya!!! www.chi.ca :clap:

Lame post. :rolleyes:

nonlinear
11-16-2008, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by toyboy88

Lame post. :rolleyes:

totally, not to mention how completely lame that menu looks! very poor selection, looks like low-grade COSTCO food (LOL chicken nuggets MMMMMM), tons of misspellings, etc. looks like shameless self promotoin. don't think i'd ever eat there.

Pollywog
11-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Kangol
You guys should check out this new place called Chicken Cottage in the NE it is way better than ANY other chicken place i've been to. It's a franchise from the UK and taste is awesome...get some BRITISH Flava in ya!!! www.chickenshitters.ca :clap:

Ill have to pass on that. I mean, other than their convincing mission statements:
"We have the Chickenology do you have the Passion...?" or ""Taste the secret".
I dont like secrets in my food.

Chicken on the Way = :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

RY213
11-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Chicken On The way is pretty good, what I really liked about it was the fries though. I liked how they were kinda soggy, they reminded me of how KFC fries were way back in the day.

As for Mary Browns, I thought the food was ok, but what really turned me off was the staff at the location on Blackfoot. There was a mom and teenage daughter working there last time I went (~2 yrs ago). They were arguing in front of the whole restaurant and it was so unprofessional. It made me cringe having to listen to them...

tabouli
11-16-2008, 11:56 PM
haha I've driven by this place a thousand times
After the supporting posts .... and the backlash against the tool trying to promote his own chicken .... it might be time to stop in

2BLUE
11-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Im not a big fan of the chicken..But the chicken outside is now Pink!

jahobo
11-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by theken
hey speaking of chicken, i just had christies or whatever in lancaster yesterday, my fucking god was that the best chicken i have ever had in my life, mesquite ftmfw

hahah my mommy used to work there until they changed owners

man it was freeking goooood thats how i gained soo much weight =(

Pihsiak
11-17-2008, 06:55 PM
I just heard on the radio that someone painted the chicken pink or somthing

tom_seng
11-19-2008, 05:09 PM
try living beside the place

you smell deep fry every afternoon...and even morning :banghead:

sometimes it's intoxicating...then you have bums begging for food and $$

krazynammer69
11-20-2008, 07:43 PM
u gotta try the chicken with sweet chili sauce it taste amazing

bashir26
11-20-2008, 10:48 PM
use to be better. i hate it now

davidturner
11-21-2008, 11:56 PM
i love chicken on the way so much. now i m feeling very hungry.

Sentry
07-14-2010, 03:45 PM
Bumping.

Not normally a fan of fried chicken but I tried it today and GOD DAMN.

Chicken, corn fritter, fries, gravy, everything was great. And a good amount for the price.

gyu
07-14-2010, 05:08 PM
What kind of prices should I be expecting? KFC?

legendboy
07-14-2010, 10:34 PM
truth be told, chicken on the way IS the best fried chicken in the city

yes its greasy, but thats what your paying for in fried chicken.

when i was going to sait i would hit it up every couple days

now, i crave it something fierce! It is a good hit

bignerd
07-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by gyu
What kind of prices should I be expecting? KFC?

I think they are cheaper than KFC and bigger pieces of chicken as well. $8-9ish for a three piece meal with fries, coleslaw and fritters I think.

Goodfella
07-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Chicken on the way is disgusting now :barf:
it "use" to be good back in the day. If anyone wants
to try the best fried chicken in the city and a great bang for your buck goto Fritou Chicken up in the northeast....mmhhhhmmmm....:drool:

Nissan_Fanboy
07-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Been eating Chicken on The Way for the past 17 years and counting. Grandparents lived north of calgary and would drive into calgary just to get it.
its like a tradition.

SO GOOD!

Kritafo
07-15-2010, 08:02 AM
Nothing tastes the same from there...I use to go just for corn fritters. I never loved there chicken but I didn't hate it either, definitely better than KFC. Can only do it occassionally though. Will check out the other chicken place mentioned in the NE

Anyone try the new chicken place on 4708 unit B 16th Ave NW? it's where the bottle depot was behind the liquor store. It has Advance Pizza and Tasty Chicken on the Way which appears to be not the same as chicken on the way after looking at the menu. We stopped in for pizza one night had meatzza, it was that spiced bologna everyone seems to use and they call it pepperoni, the sauce was funky, but we were also there just after it opened in June. ...wasn't very good but here is the special from their flyer

16" x-large pick up special is 13.00 with 4 topping

Chicken 2 can dine for 20.99 8 piece chicken 1 large fry and 2 litre of pop

Doorway debit/visa/mastercard

r3ccOs
07-21-2010, 08:26 AM
"though" Chicken on the way, or any fried chicken or fried food isn't "great" for you... I doubt it is as bad as any other fried chicken.

They passed the law that nothing can be cooked in Trans fat, so its likely the Chicken is being cooked in Canola as most is...
The fries are fresh hand cut, and the Fritters are really cooked no different than donuts.

I always find their product to be good to exceptional, and perhaps it varies from bird to bird, as opposed to how its made... as I'm sure they haven't changed that in the last 50 years (or more, I can't remember)

They do use fresh hutterite chickens, and I generally find the pieces more substantial, and tender than the frozen crap you get at KFC or anywhere else.

Value for dollar? Its amazing... depending on specials... they once had 3 piece meals for $5.99 w/ 2 corn fritters and a huge mound of fresh cut fries

I've also heard their Fish & Chips are highly underrated

gts_gurl
07-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Goodfella
Chicken on the way is disgusting now :barf:
it "use" to be good back in the day. If anyone wants
to try the best fried chicken in the city and a great bang for your buck goto Fritou Chicken up in the northeast....mmhhhhmmmm....:drool:

:werd: Fritou Chicken is sooooooooooooo delicious :drool:

Proyecto2000
07-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by gts_gurl

:werd: Fritou Chicken is sooooooooooooo delicious :drool:

:werd: I love when they leave it a tad spicy and the pizza is also pretty good :drool:

btw have any of you fritou customers tried their chinese food? I wonder if it is any good as the owners/cooks are all east indian.

brownchild
08-01-2010, 12:13 PM
no there not.

Their mid eastern.

Chicken King in the NE on 68th ave was the best, to bad they shut down, now theirs a place in the foothills my work ordered off of, it was so damn good.

G-ZUS
08-01-2010, 12:30 PM
I finally tried it and it's nothin special. I like Chicken Cottage in the NE, goood chicken but overpriced

Benny
08-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Chicken on the Way fills that grease fix if you're really jonesing, but I can't bring myself to eat it otherwise. Last time I had it I remember everything tasting the same. :dunno:

gts_gurl
08-05-2010, 01:17 PM
I just noticed a new Fritou Chicken location in Canyon Meadows (right on the drive), by the Mac's, across from the white townhouses... mmm :love: Gotta check it out to see if it's as good as the on in the NE!

Energykenji
08-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Mmmm corn fritters!

nickynine
08-17-2010, 04:27 PM
I remember back in the day when their "Corn Fritters" actually had "corn" in them! Now they are just balls of battered dough :cry:

clem24
08-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by nickynine
I remember back in the day when their "Corn Fritters" actually had "corn" in them! Now they are just balls of battered dough :cry:

TOTALLY UNTRUE. Last corn fritter I had had AT LEAST 4 kernels in it.

Graham_A_M
09-07-2010, 10:50 PM
I cant believe you guys eat this shit, honestly. :barf:
The one time I ate at Chicken on the Run: I was sick and lethargic for the next 3 days.
That was the last time I ever let my GF suggest a place to eat. :thumbsdow
Im primarily amazed you guys pay money to inject this shit into your bodies. :nut:
Tasting good is one thing, then there is this stuff...... :banghead:

JDMMAN
09-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Yes the Corn Fritters are awesome! :drool:

clem24
09-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
The one time I ate at Chicken on the Run:

Chicken on the Run was some shit hole across from Collingwood Elementary.... The lethargic comment is true though hahahaha

hondazone
09-09-2010, 01:36 AM
They should call it JUNIOR Chicken on the floor, there chicken is so small now and all bones, less burnt fries, Sure not what is used to be like it went down hill, not worth the price.

Shunsui
09-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Oh man guys, Fritou. That's what's gud nukkah. :drool: :drool:

turbotrip
09-12-2010, 08:28 PM
^ werd up playa; i gotta hit that saddleridge fritou atleast once a week

flipstah
09-12-2010, 08:46 PM
I don't know how Popeye's got this aura of awesomeness. I had it in San Diego and while it was crispy, it was 'meh'; the meat was bland and tasteless.

And maybe because I haven't done it before but biscuits with chicken? My mouth became SO dry after that... :nut:

How's Fritou? There's one in Saddleridge so might try that out... :drool:

But, YES! Chicken on the Way, Kensington = THE SHEIT! :drool: :drool:

But best chicken, hands down... El Pollo Loco. They should have this in Calgary!