PDA

View Full Version : Debit Fraud PANDEMIC?

Gibson
08-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Hello all, I'd just like to check around to see if anyone else on here has recently been debit card frauded? Just from checking around in my close group of friends, I know EIGHT people who have been debit frauded in the past week. Two with BMO, three with First Calgary, and three plus myself with RBC. I got a call, but some of my other friends never did and their transactions were denied. The person who called me said that my card had been copied with intent of fraud and that they had frozen my account. I'm going down today to get a new card and reset my pin and stuff, but I have to check if they took any money and how/where/when my card was copied. Anyways, keep a careful watch on your cards guys.

phreezee
08-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Another reminder to check your statements. In my case it was my M/C, 2 charges from Air Canada for close to $700. Called it in right away, with no hassles.

Dayclone
08-07-2007, 01:27 PM
Yeh with TD Bank and they cancelled my debit to a deposit only... and this was 2 weeks ago.

joyridder
08-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Mine was 3 weeks ago I think, but yeah kinda scary when it happens to yourself....I have now decided that the "ole traditional method called cash" has helped ease my mind immensely!

thrasher22
08-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Literally half the people I work with got their's cancelled a couple weeks ago (including myself) 4 women I work with directly had between 700 and 1800 withdrawn... Watch your online banking

BrknFngrs
08-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Gibson
Hello all, I'd just like to check around to see if anyone else on here has recently been debit card frauded? Just from checking around in my close group of friends, I know EIGHT people who have been debit frauded in the past week. Two with BMO, three with First Calgary, and three plus myself with RBC. I got a call, but some of my other friends never did and their transactions were denied. The person who called me said that my card had been copied with intent of fraud and that they had frozen my account. I'm going down today to get a new card and reset my pin and stuff, but I have to check if they took any money and how/where/when my card was copied. Anyways, keep a careful watch on your cards guys.

on the off chance that its from the same place, you should get together with your friends and compare transactions then post up the places that match.

I always hate how the banks wont tell you who is being investigated

joyridder
08-07-2007, 03:27 PM
^^^:werd:

My transactions were basically from using a3rd party ATM, Macs, and 711. That was about it.....I figured that it must have been from that ATM.

googe
08-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Buddy of mine out here in Vancouver got his account cleaned out last week as well. Not just a precautionary call and canceling the card, he actually woke up to a $0 bank balance.

Dunno if you guys had the same story run but in the paper out here it showed that they are actually switching the portable pin entry pads when the cashier isn't looking with a modified one that stores the card info. Kinda slick!

Gibson
08-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Well I haven't used my debit card for awhile now, and the few places I have don't have anything in common with my buddies. The lady who issued me a new card said that once a case is reported where money actually goes missing, they sent it to the National Fraud Group who then go out and investigate. She said she doesn't know why mine was canceled. The last places I used mine were Empire Studio 16(Silver City), a few Vietnamese places around town, and Futureshop.

Recca168
08-07-2007, 05:10 PM
I've never had a problem with debit. but a friend of mind had this happen to him last week. It was harsh, him, his brother and his dad all had their accounts cleaned. All with First Calgary. Shitty thing was that first calgary never even called them about it.

88CRXGUY
08-07-2007, 07:14 PM
^^this is why I'm happy I'm with RBC.

Keep any eye on your accounts everyone..anyone, everyone could be a target.

Alterac
08-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Ive had mine sniped at gas stations mostly..
I now never use my debit card to pay for gas or anything at a gas station.. VISA only.

Pay at the pump if you can.

bignerd
08-08-2007, 01:09 PM
It is easy-protect your PIN.

bignerd
08-08-2007, 01:10 PM
It is easy-protect your PIN. And don't let your card out of your sight, I hate it when cashiers take it and hold onto it while you complete your transaction. There is no need for that. I ask for mine back.

eblend
08-08-2007, 04:24 PM
My friend had hers frozen because of this just this weekend. She is with Pres Choice

l/l/rX
08-08-2007, 04:39 PM
today i've had 5 people come in to change get new cards. since last monday to today i've had about 30 some people come in to change their cards.

they either get a call, or td automatically changes their account to deposit only.

most of the time people come in to change their cards just because td has informed them that they used their card somewhere, where debit card fraud has hit them alot.

FungusMonkey
08-08-2007, 04:55 PM
I had my account frozen as well, i got a phonecall about 2 weeks ago saying theres been attempted fraud. So i had to go in and get a new card, my brother also had this problem about a month ago. Seems thieves are being sneakier, or theres problems with the system :dunno:

em2ab
08-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Try searching.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/183522/debit-fraud/
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/181573/debit-card-fraud/

googe
08-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
It is easy-protect your PIN.

Wrong. Did you read the thread? :)

88CRXGUY
08-08-2007, 07:54 PM
haha obviously you haven't read this thread or anything else about debit and credit card fraud. There is a new way to where the criminal change the key pad part of the debit machine(switching them with a rigged key pad) when the clerk isn't looking or is distracted. When you punch in your pin, hidden or not they are going to get your pin number. Bascially covering your pin number would be useless.

googe
08-08-2007, 08:00 PM
These were found in Vancouver recently:

Authorities in a number of states have reported local instances of a new high-tech crime: Crooks replacing or "bugging" checkout keypads at grocery and convenience stores. The rigged keypads record your credit card number or the personal identification number (PIN) that you key in when using your debit card. The crooks later return to collect the keypads--sometimes by ripping them from checkout aisles--and use the intercepted data to siphon large sums of money from unsuspecting store patrons.

Usually, the keypad devices show no outward signs of tampering. But inside, authorities say, scammers attach skimming devices that pass along customer data to the merchant (just as a normal keypad would), but also collect and store every credit card number, name, and debit card PIN entered on them.

The amounts that authorities suspect keypad thieves of stealing vary. Las Vegas police say that the total take in a crooked keypad scam in their jurisdiction may have been in the "millions of dollars"; representatives from the other affected states--California, Florida, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island--put the estimated cost to consumers at around $100,000 in each case. The magnitude of the actual losses may never be known, authorities say.

In Las Vegas, for example, hundreds of people had their financial information stolen when they stopped at convenience stores to grab a snack or fill up their gas tanks, according to the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department. Both in-store point-of-sale keypads and gas-pump keypads were compromised in a number of locations in the city, police say. Law enforcement officials are still investigating complaints, but no arrests have been made.

In Rhode Island, the Coventry Police Department says that it had better luck catching keypad crooks. In February, with help from U.S. Secret Service agents, four suspects from California men were arrested for having replaced checkout-lane keypads with the equivalent of electronic bugs. Investigators discovered bugs designed to steal customers' account information in keypads at Shop & Shop grocery stores in Bristol, Coventry, Cranston, Providence, and Warwick, Rhode Island, and in Seekonk, Massachusetts.

Subsequently, Coventry police, together with Rhode Island State Police, arrested the men when they returned to collect compromised keypads from affected stores, says detective Marcos Saenko, amember of the financial crimes unit of the Coventry police. The four suspects, all of whom are natives of Armenia, face two federal charges each: credit-card fraud and aggravated identity theft. Conviction on the first charge carries a penalty of up to five years in prison, while a finding of guilt on the second charge carries a mandatory two-year sentence.

full article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/18/AR2007051800060_pf.html

lilmira
08-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I wonder if they can rig the keypad of bank machine too. I usually don't use debit to pay at any store but I use the bank machine for cash. It would suck to have to line-up at the bank for cash.

doublepostwhore
08-09-2007, 11:52 AM
well at all bank machines, they have cameras in the units incase the units themselfs are stolen. all it takes for them to nail a criminal at the ATM is matching transaction time, to camera time.

I have found that my card has been fraudulently used where PORTABLE debit machines were used.

The Cosworth
08-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
I wonder if they can rig the keypad of bank machine too. I usually don't use debit to pay at any store but I use the bank machine for cash. It would suck to have to line-up at the bank for cash.

Drive thru ATM's are constantly targeted. My step mom had her's copied from the CIBC near silver city a year or so ago. They say the put them there because there is less surveillance than inside ones.

My girlfriends mom was a fraud investigator at CIBC and she once had some 'biker guys' from Montreal get off a plane here, take a cab to a ton of different banks and withdraw the money, then get back on the plane. Luckily they have surveillance systems that monitor your account and if you try to take out large amounts of money (especially not from your home town) or too close together, an operator keys into the ATM's security camera and takes a look at what is going on. In case it's not you or you are being robbed.

Sasuke_Kensai
08-09-2007, 12:32 PM
With regards to checkout pads: is it that easy to change them out that you can do it in a freaking grocery store??? Don't they often have customer service facing out or grocery baggers walking around?

Any steps being taken to help prevent the switcheroo? Sounds like it's getting pretty rampant, I'm sure it would be in the banks' interests to fight this to save them a lot of headaches and potentially angry customers.

Doozer
08-09-2007, 02:09 PM
On my debit card, I have a max daily withdrawal limit of $300. Not only does it keep criminals from completely draining me via debit fraud, it also kept me from losing more than that amount per day when I went to Vegas a couple years ago. :thumbsup:

I've gone to my bank and requested specific limit increases on a per-day basis (for example, when I bought my wife's engagement ring on debit), and then I go back when I'm done and they drop it back down for me.

I also keep a separate credit card with a $500 limit that I use for all my online transactions that again, won't drain me if it gets nicked.

This obviously doesn't cover everything, but it's a good starting point.

Amysicle
08-09-2007, 02:37 PM
^^ Sounds like a good plan. I might have to do the same. It's crazy how the scammers are just getting away with it.

Ajay
08-10-2007, 03:46 PM
CIBC FTW

dropdat
08-11-2007, 11:24 AM
do the banks give you any money back or anything if you get drained? noone's talked about that.

sh0ko
08-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Ajay
CIBC FTW

just the other day someone took 65 bux outta my account.. son of a b^#$%

FiveFreshFish
08-11-2007, 12:58 PM
This is why I don't use debit. Cash or credit card only.

98type_r
08-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
This is why I don't use debit. Cash or credit card only.

:werd:

i try to avoid using the debit card as much as possible.

oilerfan4lyfe
08-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by dropdat
do the banks give you any money back or anything if you get drained? noone's talked about that.

For now, most of them do.

And yes, there's a TON of debit cards being skimmed recently...and the worst part is that a lot of people have actually lost money out of their account.

Supa Dexta
08-14-2007, 07:00 AM
there was a show on a yr or 2 ago interviewing banks asking why they don't implement tougher security features.. I cant remember the total, but high into the millions it was it was costing the banks, and they said it wasn't really that big of an issue.. "xxx number of millions isn't an issue?!" "umm, not really" haha

cc for me, debit hardly ever comes out of my wallet.. I also want to keep an eye on my balance, but I don't want to be signing in and out of online banking all the time either.. Anyone ever heard of people running into problems using online banking?

max_boost
08-16-2007, 11:38 AM
It's crazy how many people are so clueless when it comes to using debit. I work in a small restaurant and every week someone will put their PIN number as the TIP on the pad. I tell them after and they are like :confused: LOL

SilverRex
08-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
It's crazy how many people are so clueless when it comes to using debit. I work in a small restaurant and every week someone will put their PIN number as the TIP on the pad. I tell them after and they are like :confused: LOL

are you serious? no wonder you can afford an AMG, haha
j.k :burnout:

eina15
08-18-2007, 06:47 PM
About two weeks ago I tried to use debit at a deli for lunch and was declined, I asked the clerk why and she said she had never seen the reason code before. I shrugged it off and paid cash instead, assuming the machine was not working. I tried using it again last week and the print out said "Card Access Denied" or something like that.

I just called RBC, and apparently they restricted the card because I used it at a known location where copying was occuring. Apparently they just cancel it automatically. Would have been nice to get a phone call, but the auto-cancellation is still pretty cool.

88CRXGUY
08-18-2007, 07:49 PM
There is a fraud agency that RBC uses and they are suppose to notify you when your card is being blocked or cancelled. I'm not sure how long they take before they notify you though, thats what I was told when I had my debit card blocked a few months back.