PDA

View Full Version : Bonds hits No. 756 - Breaks HR record

SuPhistiKatEd
08-07-2007, 11:19 PM
http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=215683&hubname=

Good for him, but I still hate the guy. I'm still convinced he's on the Juice and should be banned...but it is what it is. He won't be back next year anyway. Major scuffle involved trying to get the lucky ball though. Yikes.

TheCheff
08-07-2007, 11:30 PM
HE was better before he even started doing the roids back in the day when he could actually field and won some gold gloves he just needed the juice to continue playing baseball into his old age, Amazing accomplishment with or without roids. Congrats to Barry.

forced_eg
08-07-2007, 11:31 PM
do you realize how much that ball is worth??? can you believe the mob that was after it??

Hakkola
08-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Really, do people care about roids or do they just pretend? People want to be entertained, steroids allow atheletes to do amazing things, and we are entertained. So I could care less.

I would be much more interested in a sport where players take roids and hit 70 homers than a sport that is clean with players hitting 10 home runs. :zzz:

01RedDX
08-08-2007, 12:03 AM

Hakkola
08-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Maybe... but maybe some players still CHOOSE to be drug-free.

Should they play in a different league?

No, they just choose to make less money. In a sense it is a little unfair to those who lead clean healthy lifestyles, but the players who takes roids generally pay for it by dying prematurely. IMO that is the ultimate sacrifice, and if they want to live shorter, yet more exciting lives, then in another sense, can't that be seen as heroic?

At the end of the day, professional sports is about entertainment. I want to be in awe, not slightly intrigued.

SoSlowDx
08-08-2007, 12:26 AM
I don't think baseball fans even care about the whole steroids thing now. 756 is an amazing accomplishment.

scboss
08-08-2007, 12:35 AM
im glad he did it at home it was awesome

01RedDX
08-08-2007, 12:47 AM

max_boost
08-08-2007, 12:47 AM
Yeah I wouldn't want to pay too much for that baseball. If A-Rod stays healthy he will easily pass Bonds.

I really wanted to see Griffey Jr challenge the record but injuries really got the best of him the past 5 years.

So when will Bonds retire? After he hits #800?

habsfan
08-08-2007, 08:10 AM
sorry barry, your record is tainted. he's a good player, there's no questioning that, but he was great before the roids, a more balanced and complete player is alot more respectable to me than a juiced up power hitter that can't field or run worth shit anymore.

harv91
08-08-2007, 08:11 AM
I was excited for him. Congrats to him and his family, it was a moment that'll go down in sports history, im just happy i got to see it :D

viff3r
08-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Pretty cool to watch, and glad he did it at home.

Man Barry has a big dome. Like a friggin watermelon

Originally posted by max_boost
Yeah I wouldn't want to pay too much for that baseball. If A-Rod stays healthy he will easily pass Bonds.

Good point...I wonder what Todd MacFarlane ever did with his $3 million Mark McGuire 62 HR ball...:rofl:

l8braker
08-08-2007, 08:29 AM
756*

Gorilla
08-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Congrats Barry!

- Ben Johnson -

Hahaha

viff3r
08-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Amazing coincidence -

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=215685&hubname=mlb

aram1000
08-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Its a great accomplishment, but in my eyes is a tainted one, to me, part of the entertaining part of sports is to see these amazing athletes achieve such feats naturally which to me shows their true abilities, which makes me more amazed then those who use substances which are questionable and deemed illegal in some cases and other advantages to enhance their already great abilities to stand out or break records. Just my 2 cents.

ken-gsr
08-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Yeah but the fact remains that when he did use the juice - steroids weren’t illegal in the sport. It is a well known fact that players (especially in baseball) have been using them. They have now made them illegal - but they were not at the time. How can you say that he did something wrong? I mean sure he took performance enhancing drugs (so everyone claims) but so did many other players. Maybe not steroids, but I am sure that Henry and Babe took something in their day.

98type_r
08-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by l8braker
756*

:werd:

ARod should in all likelihood beat the record before he retires though.

bobby_lu
08-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola

No, they just choose to make less money. In a sense it is a little unfair to those who lead clean healthy lifestyles, but the players who takes roids generally pay for it by dying prematurely. IMO that is the ultimate sacrifice, and if they want to live shorter, yet more exciting lives, then in another sense, can't that be seen as heroic?

At the end of the day, professional sports is about entertainment. I want to be in awe, not slightly intrigued.

This is true, whether its wrong or not at the time they could have gotten away with it so why shouldnt they. Society works the same way unfortunately, why shouldnt sports.

Originally posted by max_boost

I really wanted to see Griffey Jr challenge the record but injuries really got the best of him the past 5 years.

So when will Bonds retire? After he hits #800?

Griffey would have almost been a no-doubter to break it. But he is still 5 years younger than bonds. So for him to avg 30-35 HR a year for 5 years isnt totally out of the realm of possibility.

A-Rod should break it in 5-7 years. Hell he could even get to a 1000 lol, hes only 32 :nut:

Congrats Barroid!

sputnik
08-08-2007, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by viff3r
Amazing coincidence -

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story/?ID=215685&hubname=mlb

I doubt it was a coincidence.

bobby_lu
08-08-2007, 10:21 AM
LOL, sucks for the Bacsik's

breen
08-08-2007, 10:36 AM
Well its pretty obvious that he juiced but regardless you still have to be an unreal hitter to do it. I mean its not like the roids helped him hit the ball

BerserkerCatSplat
08-08-2007, 11:12 AM
756*

:werd:

Mr_John
08-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by bobby_lu

This is true, whether its wrong or not at the time they could have gotten away with it so why shouldnt they. Society works the same way unfortunately, why shouldnt sports.

Congrats Barroid!

Because sports athletes are role models for the youth. To have them breaking records and becoming elite players on a substance only shows the youth that cheating/steroids will get you further and better. Working hard wont get you anywhere unless you're on the juice thus making the youth do it and possibly dying from it.

I dont hate Bonds because of his steroids because so many players in baseball do it. I hate him because of his attitude in his entire career.
Hope A-Rod destroys this record.

bobby_lu
08-09-2007, 10:44 AM
756*

Then it should be...
1 Barry Bonds (23) 757 *
2 Hank Aaron 755
3 Babe Ruth 714
4 Willie Mays 660
5 Sammy Sosa (16) 604 *
6 Ken Griffey, Jr. (26) 589
7 Frank Robinson 586
8 Mark McGwire 583 *
9 Harmon Killebrew 573
10 Rafael Palmeiro 569 *

And who knows who else...

Originally posted by Mr_John

Because sports athletes are role models for the youth. To have them breaking records and becoming elite players on a substance only shows the youth that cheating/steroids will get you further and better. Working hard wont get you anywhere unless you're on the juice thus making the youth do it and possibly dying from it.

I dont hate Bonds because of his steroids because so many players in baseball do it. I hate him because of his attitude in his entire career.
Hope A-Rod destroys this record.

And A-rod has a much better attitude/likeability compared to Barry? I dont think so.

Unfortunately, this is the truth of society nowadays, people getting ahead by wrong doing, cheating, drugs, or money, or whatever it maybe. Its even more frustrating when you work hard and are competing against cheaters..but thats the way society works these days...who knows what will end up being 5, 10, 20 years down the road.

Society FTL

:thumbsdow

rage2
08-09-2007, 11:08 AM
US Tax laws suck, immediate capital gains taxation.

The dude that caught the ball, is automatically and immediately subject to capitals gains tax. IRS estimates the ball to be worth $600,000, so his tax bill is $210,000. The dude's a student, so he'll most likely be forced to sell the ball right away.

We're lucky in Canada, we're not subject to capital gains taxes till we sell.

SilverRex
08-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by bobby_lu

Griffey would have almost been a no-doubter to break it. But he is still 5 years younger than bonds. So for him to avg 30-35 HR a year for 5 years isnt totally out of the realm of possibility.

A-Rod should break it in 5-7 years. Hell he could even get to a 1000 lol, hes only 32 :nut:

Congrats Barroid!

this just proves another point why the record breaking ball now shouldnt be worth anything, kuz sooner or later, others will break the record, its not like the chances are slim, no, chances are someone will break the current record.

Mr_John
08-09-2007, 01:17 PM
TSN had reactions to the bond's record breaking and all players just agreed that A-Rod will break the record anyways. Cherish the moment Bonds.

bigboom
08-09-2007, 03:34 PM
with baseball so much of it has to do with hand eye co-ordination that a lot of times steroids may help but if you arent gifted with the co-ordination to begin with steroids wont help anything. and the fact is he has NEVER tested positive or even been found guilty of anything so i think people should leave the guy alone. the reason why barry is the way he is, is the way the media has treated him. if the media kept bashing you and intruding on your privacy would you treat them with any respect? most likely not.