PDA

View Full Version : MRC - Business and Admin. - Accounting Anyone?

Dayclone
08-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Hey guys I might be going to MRC now, after I found out the CDI is all a SCAM!!! and they shouldn't even be called a damn college! Wow...

Alrighty so anyone taking this program? or how it's like?
Who to try to avoid? etc...?

Thanks,
Steve

DUBBED
08-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Mount Royal Accounting Degree = Good

D. Dub
08-09-2007, 01:26 PM
^^^^ X2

however.....

The only problem with the MRC Degrees is that they are "Applied Degrees". Which means that if you should decide to go on to a Master's Degree someday it may be difficult to do so.

Dayclone
08-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
^^^^ X2

however.....

The only problem with the MRC Degrees is that they are "Applied Degrees". Which means that if you should decide to go on to a Master's Degree someday it may be difficult to do so.

Couldn't I like attend U of C and get a Degree like a Bachelors... then upgrade to a Master's?? or that's the process your saying is "difficult"??

Thanks,
Steve

D. Dub
08-09-2007, 01:56 PM
The applied degrees from SAIT and MRC are not designed to be a typical undergrad degree from which you can go on to a graduate degree. They are a "tech-school" degree.

Of course the UofC program is designed to go on to grad studies.

JGerke
08-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Dayclone

Couldn't I like attend U of C and get a Degree like a Bachelors... then upgrade to a Master's?? or that's the process your saying is "difficult"??

Thanks,
Steve

well ya, but then you'll be in schoool till your 30

Dayclone
08-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Then why the hell it takes 4 years! wtf...

Well just to know how much money would I be making with an applied degree?? I'm planning to also designate into CGA or CMA.

D. Dub
08-09-2007, 02:07 PM
They take 4 years becuae there is a big work experience component.

IhateDomestic
08-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Get into something you enjoy, you can't put a specific salary based on just a degree and you shouldn't be looking on your education as a financial incentive.

There could be people with the degree that make from $40,000 and maybe someone with the same degree with a different degree of experience that makes $100,000
it's all on how well you do what you do-with any area regardless of accounting.

MilanoRedTeg
08-09-2007, 02:10 PM
You can still go for your master's with an applied degree as far as I know. But you also need 2 years of full-time working experience before you can apply for your masters at most schools. They don't usually except undergraduates right out of their degree programs.

D. Dub
08-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by MilanoRedTeg
You can still go for your master's with an applied degree as far as I know. But you also need 2 years of full-time working experience before you can apply for your masters at most schools. They don't usually except undergraduates right out of their degree programs.

I disagree. From my understanding it's a rare exception for an applied degree to be able to get into a Master's program.

The applied degree is based solely on "applied knowledge"and doesn't have the research and theory components in it that a university degree does; research and theory are the critical underpinnings for graduate studies.

IhateDomestic
08-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Actually if you want to get your masters after your Bachelor's there's no specific requirement stating you MUST have 2 years of work experience. It depends on your application, GPA, and your portfolio on what you have to offer to the masters program (depending on faculty).

Another route you could approach is doing 2 years at MRC then transferring to the UofC Haskayne and finish the 2 years for the Bachelors Degree, and then persue the Masters.

Keep in mind you must have a relatively higher GPA whilst studying @ MRC to compete with the other transfer students who wish to do the same.

DUBBED
08-09-2007, 03:54 PM
The program at Mount Royal is endorsed by the CAs of Alberta, it points you in that direction instead of the graduate degree. A Master's may not be as useful in the business world as a designation, most people don't even recognize their masters degrees anymore unless they are teachers or lawyers.

Anyway, that's a bit far into the future. The bottom line is if you complete the program at Mount Royal you will have all the courses you need to pursue a CA or CMA plus 12 months of work experience. You will be very well-trained in Accounting but very out of the loop when it comes to the "elective" subjects like economics or even sociology, which you may not find important but can be in terms of broadening you perspective on how business operates within the world.

Unless you do a CA, expect to be working in payroll or accounts payable etc.

C_Yu
08-22-2007, 11:03 PM
I AM!

I'm taking the big move from Saskatoon to Calgary to attend Business - Accounting/Arts And Science (Open Studies or whatever its called). Attempting to get into Nursing after or in between my Accounting degree.

...Is there only two of us on here taking this program?