PDA

View Full Version : The first Caliber SRT4?

heavyD
08-09-2007, 01:28 PM
I didn't know they were on sale yet but I guess they are:

http://www.caliberforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4468

I'm on the fence with this car but we'll have to see some numbers.

PINOY-X
08-09-2007, 01:33 PM
wow it actually doesnt look dat bad ... :burnout:

SunniSunShine
08-09-2007, 01:38 PM
if you read the thread, they are not on sale until september - this guy got a pre-production model on some sort of fast feedback program?

JGerke
08-09-2007, 01:38 PM
haha...one of the comments was 'engineering at its best'...right buddy. Anyways, i'm quite suprised at the looks. Everything is seriously pronounced. I can't stand the underhood covers though, it looks like something I would find in the trash...go track rated...

heavyD
08-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by SunniSunShine
if you read the thread, they are not on sale until september - this guy got a pre-production model on some sort of fast feedback program?

I believe it's a 12 month lease where the customer provides feedback on problems, suggestions for improvement, etc.

The big wheels and hood actually don't look too bad. I'm sure it will be a worthy successor to the original. Love it or hate it, cars like this in the market are good for enthusiasts.

finboy
08-09-2007, 01:51 PM
:hitit:

that thing is hot, can't wait for the resale value to drop in the states so i can snag one on the cheap :burnout:

BrknFngrs
08-09-2007, 02:02 PM
Does anyone else see the Dodge Caravan resemblance in the front end? Nothing screams performance like the caravan

SunniSunShine
08-09-2007, 02:06 PM
why the hate?

I actually like this thing, its rare that Honda ever releases a "track rated" vehicle.

Civic Si does NOT count

heavyD
08-09-2007, 02:16 PM
why the hate?

I actually like this thing, its rare that Honda ever releases a "track rated" vehicle.

Civic Si does NOT count

Some of the hate comes from the CUV styling which is justified, and truth be told, some of the hate comes from the fact it's a domestic. If it had an Honda or Toyota badge, there would be drooling.

BrknFngrs
08-09-2007, 02:17 PM
its not random hate, compare the front grills to the grand caravan

finboy
08-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
Does anyone else see the Dodge Caravan resemblance in the front end? Nothing screams performance like the caravan

turbo caravan

1989-1990

many run 13's daily driven w/o breaking a sweat, fastest one in the states is 11's iirc, you can also get koni suspension, bigger sway bars, etc. because it shares the chasis with the daytona of the same era.

Orbie
08-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Definite Mini-van resemblance, not for me but like was mentioned before, at least manufacturer's are thinking about enthusiasts with these models. HeavyD if you're on the fence between this and the EVO X, I think the latter would be the only choice.

jersturbo
08-09-2007, 03:44 PM
gawd...they are the fugliest thing ever!

Boost Infested
08-09-2007, 04:18 PM
christ... you guys are ugly.. lol

BigBadVlad
08-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Well it's the best looking Caliber I've seen...:D
That said it still seems disproportionate in some areas, front bumper, wheel arches. Like many new cars it will probably grow on me as I see more of them on the road (like mold):angel:

Jason04S1
08-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Its a beauty..
I wonder how much they are!

heavyD
08-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Orbie
Definite Mini-van resemblance, not for me but like was mentioned before, at least manufacturer's are thinking about enthusiasts with these models. HeavyD if you're on the fence between this and the EVO X, I think the latter would be the only choice.

Oh I'm not on the fence between the two cars as it wouldn't be even close. There's no car out now or coming out that will even present a comparison. I'm preparing to get an EVO X.

smontyLS1
08-09-2007, 05:04 PM
looks good, I'd like some numbers. I wish they made it more sporty though. using a station wagonesque chassis doesn't make it all to appealing to me. had the first srt-4 not been on a neon chassis I would probably be driving one, either way I am very intersted in seeing some track results.

D. Dub
08-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

and truth be told, some of the hate comes from the fact it's a domestic. If it had an Honda or Toyota badge, there would be drooling.

NOOOOOO domestic hating on Beyond?!?!? :eek:

crewchaud
08-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by smontyLS1
looks good, I'd like some numbers. I wish they made it more sporty though. using a station wagonesque chassis doesn't make it all to appealing to me. had the first srt-4 not been on a neon chassis I would probably be driving one, either way I am very intersted in seeing some track results.

Some might be interested to know that the Dodge Caliber SRT/4 shares the same chassis as the Mitsu Evo X :D

Revhard
08-09-2007, 05:26 PM
I don't care who built it, a high center of gravity and huge wheels don't point to the track for me at all.

The motor is an improvement on a good platform, that is a plus.
It looks alright to me, just think they went the wrong way with the concept.
A 2-door sport compact would have been quite favoured.

ZorroAMG
08-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Looks quite cool! I like all the new dodge products right now...can't wait to see the new 300C eventually. I don't think I'd buy this though, it's a little small and too "entry level" feeling for me. 300 SRT8 FTW.

dmtx
08-09-2007, 08:27 PM
yup, 300 SRT 8 FTW.... that would be my first domestic car.....

SRT-4 has been proving a lot but this Caliber isn't for me....

95EagleAWD
08-09-2007, 09:35 PM
why the hate?

Civic Si does NOT count

So because Chrysler puts a "track rated" badge on the car, that means something...

:rolleyes:

I think a Civic Si would handle any track (NOT a dragstrip) way better than this.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

I think a Civic Si would handle any track (NOT a dragstrip) way better than this.

That could be a bit premature, I'm willing to wait for someone to test it before making comments like that.

95EagleAWD
08-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

That could be a bit premature, I'm willing to wait for someone to test it before making comments like that.

I dunno.

The Caliber has a high CoG, heavier, less aero, etc.

Considering a Civic Type R can keep up with an NSX Type S, I'd be willing to bet the Si can keep ahead of the Caliber.

But, time will tell.

They don't even look that bad to me. Pretty tough and mean looking.

Xtrema
08-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Everything looks good except the Tracked Rated decal.

Trail Rated means something because it means it passes a tough terrain. But WTF is track rated even means? Which track?

pattyt
08-09-2007, 11:19 PM
the nascar tracks ;) lol ..imagine that testing ...

"O YEA! I CAN TURN LEFT AT HIGH SPEEDS!!YAHHH LETS GO NUTS WITH A TRACK RATED BADGE!"

;)

finboy
08-10-2007, 12:07 AM
if its anything like the acr neon's, it should do allright.

give it a couple years, NO ONE on beyond liked the srt-4 when it came out, search for the threads in 03/04, then some of them started running 11's/12's in town and they get quite a bit of respect on here. with time, i think the same will happen with this, and as a bonus, i could use the extra room to fit all my amps/guitars, stock neon's suck for room :(

ecstasy_civic
08-10-2007, 12:15 AM
If you read the thread, the tester put that badge on himself... dont ask why lol

Jason04S1
08-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
If you read the thread, the tester put that badge on himself... dont ask why lol

:werd:

three.eighteen.
08-10-2007, 02:36 AM
needs to be shorter and have more of a hot hatch look to it...i like what they've done with it, but the caliber is just kind of ugly to begin with

D. Dub
08-10-2007, 07:29 AM
^^^

Well at least it's not as generic looking as the civic. :D

403Gemini
08-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I hate the calibur... HATE it...

but why do i enjoy the looks of this one?! Its like that episode of friends of Emma's birthday where the birthday cake is in the shape of a penis and joey yells out "Is it bad i still think it looks delicious? IM SO CONFUSED!"

... i feel that way right now lol

4doorj
08-14-2007, 08:42 AM
that actually looks pretty good!
it looks like a monster!!!
drag strip monster :thumbsup:

civicluva
08-14-2007, 12:07 PM
is that bitch awd?

arian_ma
08-14-2007, 12:14 PM
why the hate?

Civic Si does NOT count

Yeah...pretty rare. Good thing the 2008 Honda S2000 Club Racer just came out though hey?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/2008hondas2000crrear.jpg

And the new Civic Type-R
And the NSX-R before that
and the Integra Type-R before that
And the Civic Type-R before that

Edit: Anywho, that car looks super good, I am always kind of hesitant giving opinions on a car that has just come out. We'll see what everyone says.

Fadi
08-14-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Yeah...pretty rare. Good thing the 2008 Honda S2000 Club Racer just came out though hey?

And the new Civic Type-R

Edit: Anywho, that car looks super good, I am always kind of hesitant giving opinions on a car that has just come out. We'll see what everyone says.

hahahah
u just beat me to it haha

finboy
08-14-2007, 04:28 PM

And the new Civic Type-R

aside from the fact that the owner of that car was the one that put the "track rated" on it, iirc the only car that you listed that made it to north america so car were the ITRs

arian_ma
08-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by finboy

aside from the fact that the owner of that car was the one that put the "track rated" on it, iirc the only car that you listed that made it to north america so car were the ITRs

And the S2000 CR

doublepostwhore
08-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Curiosity sake : How many SRT-4's/SRT's in general are floating around in japan, or europe on the whole?

On this side of the pond, without question be have the b-list cars.

finboy
08-14-2007, 08:31 PM

And the S2000 CR

if its an '08, wouldn't it be next month until the dealerships let them loose here? :dunno:

heavyD
08-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by doublepostwhore
Curiosity sake : How many SRT-4's/SRT's in general are floating around in japan, or europe on the whole?

On this side of the pond, without question be have the b-list cars.

Some people just want the fastest car, not the most refined. SRT-4 crushes anything with an H-badge in a straight line. For some people that's all they are interested in. Plus the SRT-4 won't rust as fast in our side of the pond. Anyone that ever owned an Integra knows all too well of the issues with premature cancer building in the bottom of the doors and wheel wells.

You realize pretty fast that there are differing opinions on ideal cars when you read threads like the Mugen Civic Si where people are gushing about a $30K, 15 second car with a body kit. Different strokes for different folks that's all.

403Gemini
08-15-2007, 01:34 PM
To me it sorta looks like a pissed off/angry mazda protege 5... i like :D seriously its growing on me! OH NOES haha

mslbebiz
08-22-2007, 03:09 PM
As much as I've been trying NOT to like this, I just can't. I like it. A lot.

The same thing happened with the Neon SRT-4, I tried so hard to hate it but couldn't do it.

403Gemini
08-22-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by mslbebiz
As much as I've been trying NOT to like this, I just can't. I like it. A lot.

The same thing happened with the Neon SRT-4, I tried so hard to hate it but couldn't do it.

I know this feeling all too well.

Have they confirmed if its going to be their AWD platform or just FWD? (Last i heard it was FWD)

stevo 27
08-22-2007, 06:40 PM
i think it looks good hopfully its the same as the neon srt 4

whats better than buying a 4 banger off the dealers lot that blows half the shit on the road away WITH warrenty

GenerationX
08-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
yeah thats what i was gonna say.
other than it doesnt look too bad