PDA

View Full Version : Motivational/Business books

Mr_John
08-10-2007, 12:06 AM
So what are some good reads that everyone recommends?

I've heard The Secret is a good book. Also Donald Trump's Why We Want You to be Rich.

Anything else that anyones read thats helped or motivated you more?

sCream
08-10-2007, 02:37 AM
Winning, by Jack Welch

Gainsbarre
08-10-2007, 07:03 AM
Don't bother with anything by Donald Trump. He only offers ridiculous, unpractical advice like "to succeed at business, you must sleep no more than 4 hours a night". I got one of his books for free and I feel ripped off.

Schwa
08-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Also stay away from Kiyosaki, who's "non-fiction" has been proven false.

He also overgeneralizes way too much to be useful or practical.

dmtx
08-10-2007, 09:46 AM
i haven't really read any of the business motivational books but you can try books how they started ebay, google, yahoo and girls gone wild....

l8braker
08-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
Don't bother with anything by Donald Trump. He only offers ridiculous, unpractical advice like "to succeed at business, you must sleep no more than 4 hours a night". I got one of his books for free and I feel ripped off.

Agreed! My roommate has one by Trump and I put it back after the first chapter. The whole book seemed like it was written by a child.

A great one i'm reading right now is called "If first you don't succeed" and it's a great read for anyone who has some entrepreneur inside of them. I'd also recommend the bio of Howard Schultz from Starbucks and the Google story that chronicles its creation by Page and Brin.

asuth077
08-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by sCream
Winning, by Jack Welch

I also highly recommend this book.

Good to Great by Jim Collins is also very good.

The Tipping Point and Blink are good "idea" books as well by Malcolm Gladwell.

Evro
08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
the science of getting rich, kindof what the secret was based on, good read, written in 1911, cant remember authors name

R-Audi
08-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Power to Focus (and for students)

ringmaster
08-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Think and Grow Rich!!!, The magic of thinking BIG, and although untrue, I found the work of Kiyosaki to be somewhat insightful.

Schwa
08-10-2007, 11:27 AM
How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie

Mckenzie
08-10-2007, 05:11 PM
+1 for Blink and the Dale Carnegie Classic- I think this is one of the best books on business AND dealing with people. I have read it 3 times.

I would not even wipe my ass with Trump's book...I put about 4 hrs into that and will never get it back.

The best part was when he devoted an entire chapter to how to live like a millionaire- "I personally like Mercedez BEnz- they make fina automobiles...." blah bla bla bla you are a loser.

Mr_John
08-10-2007, 05:33 PM
I guess the Trump book is out. Figured so since it looked very useless while skimming through a couple chapters at the bookstore yesterday.

Got a lot of great suggestions so far. Keep em' coming.

kenny
08-10-2007, 05:42 PM
The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss. Recommended read :)

liquid1010
08-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Take the $20 you'd spend on a book, and put it in a savings account ;) J/K.... :D

I know a lot of people are really looking to hit it big and be rich... and I think it's great to have a good work ethic. However, I think our generation (18-30) really needs to start thinking about more than money in our position. I recently read "confessions of an economic hitman" by John Perkins, and highly recommend it.

Mckenzie
08-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by liquid1010
Take the $20 you'd spend on a book, and put it in a savings account ;) J/K.... :D

I know a lot of people are really looking to hit it big and be rich... and I think it's great to have a good work ethic. However, I think our generation (18-30) really needs to start thinking about more than money in our position. I recently read "confessions of an economic hitman" by John Perkins, and highly recommend it.

:werd:

This book kinda fucked me up lol....amazing read and it puts the world as we see it and have seen it in a very interesting perspective.

I think I'm gonna read it again.

broken_legs
08-11-2007, 04:27 PM
I thought Rich Dad Poor Dad was a great INSPIRATIONAL read

Although Kyosaki doesn't tell you really exactly how to do anything he opens a lot of doors to ideas and ways of thinking that perhaps the average person may not have been exposed. Plus its an easy read ;-)

I haven't read the Million Dollar Mind, but i hear its good too from friends.

liquid1010
08-13-2007, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

:werd:

This book kinda fucked me up lol....amazing read and it puts the world as we see it and have seen it in a very interesting perspective.

I think I'm gonna read it again.

Definitely... makes you realize how much is beneath the surface. It really made me re-think a lot.

bamboo403
08-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Rich Dad Poor Dad is awsome.

Hakkola
08-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Mr_John

I've heard The Secret is a good book.

Don't waste your time.

Weapon_R
08-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Automatic millionaire for some tricks and ideas on how to reduce your mortgage payments, how to invest money, and other things everyone should know and practice.

Mckenzie
08-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Automatic millionaire for some tricks and ideas on how to reduce your mortgage payments, how to invest money, and other things everyone should know and practice.

:werd: This is a good book- many basic principles that most people dont know or practice (including myself at times haha).

Evro
08-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Don't waste your time.

you my friend obviously did not read the book carefully or at all - and if you did read it and disagreed with what it had to say its still stupid to tell someone not to read it just because you havnt become a success as a result of reading it. I absolutely recommend everyone read the secret, if nothing else to get a new perspective on wealth and abundance.
The same goes for the trump books which i have not yet personally read (although i hear the art of the deal is great), the man is a Billionaire multiple times over, im sure you can benefit from reading what he has to write.

liquid1010
08-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Evro

you my friend obviously did not read the book carefully or at all - and if you did read it and disagreed with what it had to say its still stupid to tell someone not to read it just because you havnt become a success as a result of reading it. I absolutely recommend everyone read the secret, if nothing else to get a new perspective on wealth and abundance.
The same goes for the trump books which i have not yet personally read (although i hear the art of the deal is great), the man is a Billionaire multiple times over, im sure you can benefit from reading what he has to write.

The Secret may be "cute", but I don't give it much merit. Following that logic, as quoted from Mcleans Magazine..... "Silly Jews, during the holocaust all they needed to do was start thinking happy thoughts" :thumbsdow

I think there is something to the idea that you gravitate towards what you constantly have on your mind, but I wouldn't take that to far beyond face value.

Mckenzie
08-13-2007, 03:50 PM

I wont comment on the Secret as I have not read it. As for the Trump books, I've heard the Art of The Deal is very good but I think you are off on the latest Trump books- they are crap. How are you supposed to take anything away from someone who says "Dont use a computer, thats what an assistant is for...I dont use a computer so why shoud you?". Or how about his entire chapter devoted to living like a billionaire? How is that anything but a rich guy blowing his horn? or the 100+ pages devoted entirely to the apprentice and its development? Again, there was nothing of use in those sections.

Trust me when I say you will be floored at the quality of advice and level of arrogance in his books- they are crap. IMO, there are much better books out there that deliver all you expect/desire from a business book with far less filler and garbage than trumps latest two.

Hakkola
08-13-2007, 05:22 PM

:rofl:

D. Dub
08-13-2007, 06:35 PM
you my friend obviously did not read the book carefully or at all - and if you did read it and disagreed with what it had to say its still stupid to tell someone not to read it just because you havnt become a success as a result of reading it. I absolutely recommend everyone read the secret,

Ummmmmmmm...... You're kidding right?

The Secret is utter and complete bunk. New age, mystical, mumbo jumbo.

Like most get rich books -- it only succeeds in getting the author and the publisher rich. (and in this case Oprah even richer)

Hakkola
08-13-2007, 11:59 PM
I grew up in a privileged neighbourhood, and know many, very successful people both here in North America and in Europe, and at the end of the day they got to where they are with a good education and a lot of hard work, that's all there is to it. They didn't read crap like "The Secret" to get to where they are.

I'm all for motivational books, and from what I read of Rich Dad Poor Dad it was great, but as Broken_legs said, it was mostly inspirational. There are good books with tips, especially when it comes to money management and social interaction, but to put "The Secret" in a list of good motivational/business books is a fallacy if you're looking to actually learn anything, IMO.

So Evro, I'm not here to insult your intelligence, so if you could humour me and tell me how "The Secret" changed your perspective on wealth and abundance, please inform me. Maybe it will give me more ammunition against "The Secret" lovers, or maybe it will make me respect it, if only a little.

By the way, do you know what credentials the author of "The Secret" holds?