PDA

View Full Version : 15year old law to 25?

Pages : [1] 2 3

ottamania
08-10-2007, 10:19 AM
so does anyone know that when is this law will be passed?importation of 15 years to 25 years..

QuasarCav
08-10-2007, 10:19 AM
3 days!

Tik-Tok
08-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
3 days!

I heard 2-1/2, good thing my JDM import is going to be here in 2 days... oh crap, wait... customs isn't open on Sunday! NYOOOOOOOO!

SilverRex
08-10-2007, 10:22 AM
does anyone know what the reason behind changing this to 25 yrs? to cut down the amount of imports? I just dont get it. I can see from 15 to 20 or something but to 25? sounds like they are totally wanting to discourage imports if not all.

JRSC00LUDE
08-10-2007, 10:22 AM
I didn't know canadian importation laws carried so much weight in Istanbul.....

Tik-Tok
08-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by SilverRex
d sounds like they are totally wanting to discourage imports if not all.

:thumbsup: More imports means more paperwork for the government, and less new cars sales for Canada. All in the name of "safety" though.

ottamania
08-10-2007, 10:29 AM
I live in calgary

PINOY-X
08-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by ottamania
I live in calgary

?.......

the rule from 15-25 is for canada im pretty sure just not some cities

Tik-Tok
08-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by PINOY-X

?.......

the rule from 15-25 is for canada im pretty sure just not some cities

He's responding to JRS's comment. His "location" is Istanbul

ottamania
08-10-2007, 10:39 AM
so whats the verdict on that thing. is it passing in 2 days or what?

if so even if u have jdm car , will u be able to still drive it?

Hakkola
08-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Of course, they can't take away your car that was legally imported.

Toms-SC
08-10-2007, 10:41 AM
so whats the verdict on that thing. is it passing in 2 days or what?

if so even if u have jdm car , will u be able to still drive it?

I heard it passed this afternoon :dunno:

No, if you are caught driving a RHD car the police will crush it.

Crymson
08-10-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm sure where it would have "passed" -- house of commons is adjourned until september?

Ah , i get it.

Well actually the 15 year rule is in the MVSR, not the MVSA. I don't know what the process would be for ammending the MVSR, but i'm pretty sure you'd need the house of commons the ammend the MVSA.

death to RHD's.

bobby_lu
08-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

No, if you are caught driving a RHD car the police will crush it.

Yeah, they have a new polic truck with a mobile compactor :rofl:

Toms-SC
08-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by bobby_lu

Yeah, they have a new polic truck with a mobile compactor :rofl:

Thats right. They are going to start the crack down right away. I can see Hawks flying outside my window, most likely looking for illegal JDM's on Deerfoot.

avow
08-10-2007, 10:50 AM
what? when did all this happen? I'm so confused :banghead:

calgarygts
08-10-2007, 10:57 AM
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/15yearrule.htm

There's a link half way down that you can use to make comments on this proposal.

TE4MFaint
08-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Looks like the price on a lotttt
of RHD cars just went up. :drama:

PINOY-X
08-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

He's responding to JRS's comment. His "location" is Istanbul

ohh gotcha ooopss ... haha sorry

CRX-R
08-10-2007, 11:17 AM
where are you guys getting 2-3 days from? I can't even find it being published in the Gazette yet...

ottamania
08-10-2007, 11:25 AM
I dont know, i was askin same question when is it gonna pass?

LEB MAFIA
08-10-2007, 11:38 AM
I got a 90

if the 25 yr thing gos wat will be the max year you can impoprt???

PINOY-X
08-10-2007, 11:40 AM
with the 15 years rite now ... its a 92 for the latest so......

add nother 10 years ...

tictactoe2004
08-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by LEB MAFIA
I got a 90

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TE4MFaint
08-10-2007, 11:43 AM
I got a 90

Talk about self ownage here:rofl: :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
08-10-2007, 11:43 AM
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/JRSC00LUDE/dreddss.jpg

Your JDM is in violation of the 25 year importation rule.

How do you plead? I thought so, guilty.

Schwa
08-10-2007, 11:44 AM
my BRAINNNNNNNN

I heard they're gonna push it back to 50 years, and only V8s will be allowed.

LEB MAFIA
08-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Im just so mad right now i cant think straight i bet alot of you are so thanks for the laughs :whocares: :rofl: (theres one bak)

CRX-R
08-10-2007, 11:45 AM
I got a 90

here's your helmet... the short bus is around the corner...

PINOY-X
08-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint

Talk about self ownage here:rofl: :rofl:

bahaha +1 ....

oh welllll :rofl: :rofl:

QuasarCav
08-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Im just so mad right now i cant think straight i bet alot of you are so thanks for the laughs :whocares: :rofl: (theres one bak)

I'm so fucking pissed that 16 year olds in JDM beaters wont be ripping down my street at full throttle.

1990 + 25 = 2015, so around the time you are old enough to drive everything should be good.

LEB MAFIA FOR LYFE

LEB MAFIA
08-10-2007, 11:53 AM
:whocares: Get a life haha :burnout: How can u talk like that (Those kids never had a choice mang)- the short bus pffft

LEB MAFIA
08-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Bro im 17 so chill out and stay on topic

culebra
08-10-2007, 12:03 PM
What if I import Euro spec(LHD) german vehicle from Japan Does it still have to be 82 or older?

ZorroAMG
08-10-2007, 12:10 PM
What if I buy a canadian 240 with a hello kitty dash toy, am I screwed? That's JDM...im so confuzed!

Trini
08-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/JRSC00LUDE/dreddss.jpg

Your JDM is in violation of the 25 year importation rule.

How do you plead? I thought so, guilty.
^^:rofl: :rofl:

but damn this is fcuked up..dreams going down the drain now then.

Trini
08-10-2007, 12:21 PM
http://www.ivoac.ca/pn/index.php
and
http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55972&perpage=15&pagenumber=3

has no mention of this!

The Cosworth
08-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by culebra
What if I import Euro spec(LHD) german vehicle from Japan is it. Does it still have to be 82 or older?

you're importing it still aren't you? I dont think the importing laws specify japan only.

so I would think once this passes you need to have a car older than 1982.

Leb Mafia, you should chill, it was pretty funny. And I dont see how your age is relevent

SR240SX
08-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
What if I buy a canadian 240 with a hello kitty dash toy, am I screwed? That's JDM...im so confuzed!

It all depends on what side of the dash the hello kitty is sitting on:nut:

Z_Fan
08-10-2007, 12:32 PM
I still can't figure out for the life of me why kids are content to import what is very definitely another countries JUNK. These are just worn out, old junk cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side. Another countries scrap metal coming over here and our youth are stupid enough to actually pay for this shit. Baffles me.

25 years would be a nice change. But I think 50 would be better. So then our Country wouldn't be so receptive to other countries waste automobiles. :poosie:

ottamania
08-10-2007, 12:44 PM
if some one is gonna say something off topic, they should open up their own thread...

ianmcc
08-10-2007, 01:06 PM
So, the government in their infinite wisdom and desire to protect us from ourselves, has determined that a 25 year old car will be safer than a 15 year old car.
The link...http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/15yearrule.htm
Quote:
"Based on the departmental study and the significant differences between Canadian motor vehicle safety standards and those of other countries, the department is proposing to amend the exclusion threshold from 15 to 25 years, in order to return the regulation to its original intent, which is to promote the safety of the traveling public by requiring that all imported vehicles less than 25 years old be compliant or capable of being made compliant with CMVSS."
Yet in the same review they contradict themselves-quote
"These safety performance requirements have to be engineered at the design stage and manufactured into the vehicle at the time of assembly. By and large, the standards cannot be met via retrofitting a vehicle using after-market or salvaged parts. "
So, wouldn't it stand to argue that a newer car, built to higher safety standards and with fewer kilometers on the odometer be safer than a 25 year old car with substantially more mileage, questionable history and adhering to older crash and emission regulations?
No, of course not. That isn't the real reason behind the proposed changes.
Quote:
"...the department is proposing to amend the exclusion threshold from 15 to 25 years, in order to return the regulation to its original intent..."
Which was...
"BACKGROUND: History of the 15-Year Importation Exclusion
The Department of Finance regulations prohibit the importation of used vehicles less than 15 years old from all countries. Since the MVSA came into effect on January 1, 1971, vehicles 15 years old in 1986 were then subject to the MVSA and could not enter Canada unless the vehicles were fully compliant with CMVSS. The analysis done at that time indicated that few vehicles over 15 years were being imported, most of them generally being collector’s items originating from the U.S."
"With the advent of the Free Trade Agreement with the U.S., the Department of Finance regulations prohibiting the importation of used vehicles less than 15 years old were gradually removed for vehicles purchased in the U.S. The Department of Finance prohibition on the importation of used vehicles less than 15 years old from countries other than the U.S. is still in existence. The MVSA was also amended and on April 12, 1995, under the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) program, vehicles less than 15 years old that were originally manufactured for the U.S. market were allowed to be imported. This change to the MVSA allows Canadians the opportunity to import a number of models of vehicles that would otherwise be denied entry into Canada, provided they are modified to comply with CMVSS prior to being presented to provincial or territorial authorities for licensing in Canada."
There's that word modified again.

"Given the substantial recent increase in the importation of vehicles over 15 years old, the provincial and territorial authorities have been seeing more of these imported older vehicles being used on their roads. The authorities are questioning whether the safety of the traveling public is being compromised as these vehicles are excluded from having to comply with the CMVSS. Since the year 2000, the number of vehicles over 15 years old imported into Canada has increased significantly, with annual levels of 16,000 to 17,000 vehicles. The cumulative total at the end of 2006 stood at over 73,000 vehicles. Transport Canada initiated a statistical analysis to ascertain the number and type of vehicles in that age group that are being imported, as well as their representation in collisions and other types of road safety issues."
The original intent was for the Department of Finance to prohibit the importation of cars less than 15 years old. And wouldn't auto dealers like to have access to these 16000-17000 annual sales?
And tell me this has nothing to do with the majority of imported cars being (theoretically) high-performance cars.
Young kids buying, racing and crashing these cars. High-profile street racing news stories-these are what is really driving this legislation
Safe cars my ass, they should make safer drivers.
Can anyone provide a link to this proposed legislation?

SteveyBoy
08-10-2007, 01:19 PM
i appologise there's ALOT to read here does any one know if this Has or Hasn't passed and if it's a legitimate threat in the near future? .... if so i gotta grab a couple more for inflation heheh

Toms-SC
08-10-2007, 01:58 PM
K just got off the phone with the AMA. They are pulling my insurance on my Skyline. My buddy with a 240 told me that he was pulled over but the cop let him go with a warning to get 'the car' safe before they take it away. I heard if you search you just may find the truth that this has been brought up many times before. So if you've read this far everything I've said is bullshit but I am just getting people who refuse to search worked up. Deerfoot at lunch was crazy, tons of cops looking for JDMs to crush! I saw the mobile crusher, its based off of an F350, be careful!!!! They had a RX7 getting ready to be crushed, they were taking the plate off! :eek:

ottamania
08-10-2007, 01:59 PM
hey ,

i dont know weather its passed or not. some one has to know....

or we should call transport canada and ask them wtf is goin on?

JRSC00LUDE
08-10-2007, 02:01 PM
READ BETWEEN THE FUCKING LINES FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!!! :guns:

Question: How many smartass answers does it take to get a point across?

Answer: Still Unknown.

Toms-SC
08-10-2007, 02:02 PM
hey ,

or we should call transport canada and ask them wtf is goin on?

DONT! They will track the phone call and check what your driving.

JRSC00LUDE
08-10-2007, 02:07 PM

Look out the window! If the season's have changed and it's winter then YES!!! The weather has passed!

Milk2%
08-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
K just got off the phone with the AMA. They are pulling my insurance on my Skyline. My buddy with a 240 told me that he was pulled over but the cop let him go with a warning to get 'the car' safe before they take it away. I heard if you search you just may find the truth that this has been brought up many times before. So if you've read this far everything I've said is bullshit but I am just getting people who refuse to search worked up. Deerfoot at lunch was crazy, tons of cops looking for JDMs to crush! I saw the mobile crusher, its based off of an F350, be careful!!!! They had a RX7 getting ready to be crushed, they were taking the plate off! :eek:

!!!!

:rofl: :rofl:

JCX
08-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan
I still can't figure out for the life of me why kids are content to import what is very definitely another countries JUNK. These are just worn out, old junk cars with the steering wheel on the wrong side. Another countries scrap metal coming over here and our youth are stupid enough to actually pay for this shit. Baffles me.

25 years would be a nice change. But I think 50 would be better. So then our Country wouldn't be so receptive to other countries waste automobiles. :poosie:

Damn straight. Not a popular view around here, but certainly correct. We're saving Japan having to deal with disposal of literal garbage. I honestly think 25 years is fair, that leaves it open for people who want legitimate collector automobiles that will mainly be garage ornaments. My understanding is this was the original spirit of the 15 year old rule. As opposed to the current situation where the law allows rat bagged pieces of shit to be saved from Japanese wrecking yards and be daily driven (often in a maniacal fashion). For every one remotely decent 15 year import I see at least 10 utter piles of excrement.

I won't even mention the LHD / RHD thing and the Canada Post / garbage truck excuse is bunk. Those are purpose built utility vehicle, not daily driven commuter vehicles.

ottamania
08-10-2007, 02:43 PM
i asked to couple car dealers bout this. they said 25 year rule already passed but it takes one year to take an action. so they said we can still bring cars untill jan.

TE4MFaint
08-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Oh well.
Doesnt really make me cry too much, however all those kids who are 15 are pretty sad they can't get a JDM tyte yo~ skyline gts-t for $5000!!! :eek:

TheCheff
08-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan

I completely agree good riddens RHD hopefully it goes through before people can import MK4's :guns:

em2ab
08-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

:thumbsup: More imports means more paperwork for the government, and less new cars sales for Canada. All in the name of "safety" though.
They should force the auto companies here to stop making crappy cars. :dunno:

I reject your proposal and substitute my own......"Sir, we've vitoed the bill for the 25 year rule. Instead we have Harry Doe here from CDM auto to confess his sins of making crappy cars and the promise he won't do it again."

ottamania
08-10-2007, 03:05 PM
i totally agree.

calgarygts
08-10-2007, 03:09 PM
There are a lot of shiet imports here but I was looking forward to being able to import an ST205 in 2009, and if this does end up going through that won't happen. That really sucks.

Schwa
08-10-2007, 03:28 PM
I think for every car some idiot teen wants to import, he needs to deport one of his friends.

heavyD
08-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

They should force the auto companies here to stop making crappy cars. :dunno:

I reject your proposal and substitute my own......"Sir, we've vitoed the bill for the 25 year rule. Instead we have Harry Doe here from CDM auto to confess his sins of making crappy cars and the promise he won't do it again."

Hmmm. Some of the worst looking beaters on the streets are the jdm imports. The auto companies that make cars in Canada include Honda & Toyota so I don't see your point.

For those of you that don't have a clue, the point of adding ten years to the law is due to the high percentage of the drivers of the imported rhd cars being teens which happen to be the highest risk group. The law was never made for teens to attain affordable high end japanese performance cars. It was for collectable cars that would be driven on occasion only. Importers took full advantage for a few years but all good things must come to an end and so will the importation of junkyard Japanese cars. I for one am very happy with this ruling.

smontyLS1
08-10-2007, 05:03 PM
+1 ^

I am glad that these pos rhd cars will not be available.

I'm not sure what the ruling will be on parts though?
I would still like access to the engines...

wintonyk
08-10-2007, 05:55 PM
from what i heard is that when and if it passes it will take effect January 1, 2008.

Deetz
08-10-2007, 06:00 PM
This law will only affect incoming cars for the future that haven't been registered here. RHD cars that have been imported and already registered will be fine.

A3GTiVR6SC
08-10-2007, 06:01 PM
:werd: Z_Fan & Heavy_D :werd:

Spoons
08-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Damnit why do we ALWAYS have these conversations. You get all the JDM fan boys fighting that it will never happen and you get all the JDM haters saying it will.

I AM a JDM fan boy... and even with that said I believe it is going to change. You don't understand is that the reason they have these laws is not that they are unsafe, but simply to protect the canadian car economy. They still see alot of people buying JDM even with the 15, so they will bump it to 25 to deter you even more. Why would the Canadian government want you buying your cars from another market and not their own.

It's going to happen, people that like to believe it won't to make them sleep easier at night are probably going to be mistaken.

Even so like I said I am a JDM fan boy, but I will feel so much better that there will be less dip shit kids rippin around in their skylines bought with mommy and daddys money.

em2ab
08-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Hmmm. Some of the worst looking beaters on the streets are the jdm imports. The auto companies that make cars in Canada include Honda & Toyota so I don't see your point.

For those of you that don't have a clue, the point of adding ten years to the law is due to the high percentage of the drivers of the imported rhd cars being teens which happen to be the highest risk group. The law was never made for teens to attain affordable high end japanese performance cars. It was for collectable cars that would be driven on occasion only. Importers took full advantage for a few years but all good things must come to an end and so will the importation of junkyard Japanese cars. I for one am very happy with this ruling.
Don't be stupid, you know what I mean. Honda's engineering team as far as I know are based in Japan and that is where many of the design cues come from. It doesn't really matter where they're physically built.

Nissanaddict
08-10-2007, 06:13 PM
I don't think they should make the rule 25 years old. They should make similar rules as Japan to make 15 year old cars harder to register in general, as 15 years does wonders for emissions technology. They should lift the ban altogether. If I import a car from Europe or Asia, I should be forced to make the lighting adhere (side markers and the like) but not much else. I'd be importing an Alfa Romeo Brera right now if I could, but I can't.

Hakkola
08-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by smontyLS1
+1 ^

I am glad that these pos rhd cars will not be available.

I'm not sure what the ruling will be on parts though?
I would still like access to the engines...

LOL, why would they ban access to parts? You could buy all the parts to a 1999 Nissan Skyline and build it here in Canada legally if you have the money.

If you do a search a guy on Beyond did it with the newest gen MR2 Spyder.

Originally posted by culebra
What if I import Euro spec(LHD) german vehicle from Japan Does it still have to be 82 or older?

If the vehicle is sold in Canada and is on the allowable import list you can bring it regardless of the year. If you wanted to you could import a 2005 SLR from Japan as long as it passes inspection here in Canada and is up to our safety standards.

red99600
08-10-2007, 06:32 PM
sooner the better, good riddance

these pieces of garbage are lowering the value of their lhd counterparts in north america.

F*ck JDM cars, save up some more money and get the proper car in your location.

and those cars that we don't get .. such as the old ass GTR.. who cares, they are old POS cars anyways.

the new GTR is coming out
so just get that, and if you can't afford it , then you don't deserve it anyways.

ca18det240sx
08-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by red99600
sooner the better, good riddance

these pieces of garbage are lowering the value of their lhd counterparts in north america.

F*ck JDM cars, save up some more money and get the proper car in your location.

and those cars that we don't get .. such as the old ass GTR.. who cares, they are old POS cars anyways.

the new GTR is coming out
so just get that, and if you can't afford it , then you don't deserve it anyways.

im not even gonna get into this one, simply put...youre an idiot.

Soren1989
08-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by ca18det240sx

i 2nd that

misterrick
08-10-2007, 06:44 PM
so does that mean that a new fairlady/350z might be legal as long as it passes OOP and such?

yeah 69th post

red99600
08-10-2007, 07:10 PM

im assuming you own one of those crappers

Trini
08-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Soren1989

i 2nd that
i agree as well

gpomp
08-10-2007, 08:09 PM

ah, the 07 trolls. :rofl:

i saw the mobile car crusher yesterday, that thing looks crazy. i would not want to run into that if i drove a RHD car.

red99600
08-10-2007, 08:14 PM
new is always better than old.

Originally posted by gpomp

ah, the 07 trolls. :rofl:

i saw the mobile car crusher yesterday, that thing looks crazy. i would not want to run into that if i drove a RHD car.

ca18det240sx
08-10-2007, 08:15 PM

no, actually i drive a LHD 240sx....but thanks for coming out.

i was just pointing out the obvious, and that is....god this is becoming cliche.....youre an idiot

Annoyingrob
08-10-2007, 08:17 PM
Why do these threads ALWAYS degrade into a flame war.

I don't recall the title of this thread being "What are your opinions of JDM cars". It was a thread about if the change in legislation has been passed. :rolleyes:

ca18det240sx
08-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Annoyingrob
Why do these threads ALWAYS degrade into a flame war.

I don't recall the title of this thread being "What are your opinions of JDM cars". It was a thread about if the change in legislation has been passed. :rolleyes:

True, getting off topic. Sorry

Redlyne_mr2
08-10-2007, 08:47 PM
I hope this doenst happen Id actually like to get a 96 mr2 when theyre available.

IncredibleToad
08-10-2007, 08:54 PM
If the JDM vehicle you want to import doesn't have the entire Ultraman figure collection on the dash, its not coming to Canada

Trini
08-10-2007, 09:01 PM
man it sucks esp. when you are working towards buying the car you want.
any hard evidence that this law has been passed?

heavyD
08-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by em2ab

Don't be stupid, you know what I mean. Honda's engineering team as far as I know are based in Japan and that is where many of the design cues come from. It doesn't really matter where they're physically built.

Actually Nissan, Mitsubishi, etc have design offices in the U.S. While alot of the engineering happens in Japan, no car company relies on one country for their model lines. It's not so much that Japan is smarter than anyone else, as much as the big 3 being crippled by the labor unions. Plus the fact that some of the most unreliable cars come from Japanes carmakers like Mazda & Nissan. Japanese cars owned the 90's but since then it's getting pretty close now. Some GM models are amongst the most reliable cars you can buy. This is a little off topic but your statement about North America building crappy cars is retarded and shows how little you know in general about vehicles. Now run along back to your jdm forums and petition with all the other fanboys that Optimus Prime should have been a Skyline.....:closed:

red99600
08-10-2007, 09:33 PM

no, actually i drive a LHD 240sx....but thanks for coming out.

i was just pointing out the obvious, and that is....god this is becoming cliche.....youre an idiot

more ignorant comments,
thanks for coming out :poosie:

ca18det240sx
08-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Oooook, now that hes got that out, this topic can get back on track maybe?

Trini
08-10-2007, 09:44 PM
hmm so all these people who make a living out of this industry what will happen to them?
I really need to see some hard evidence that this law has been passed to believe it.

ca18det240sx
08-10-2007, 10:01 PM
I dont think the government is taking seriously any businesses that profit on importing cars from japan. I believe their main goal is to protect the market here, and force you to spend you money HERE, not in another country. Its BS but what are you going to do.

misterrick
08-10-2007, 10:12 PM
kind of off topic but igot my 200 going evan, when do you wanna race? lol

mx73someday
08-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
Damnit why do we ALWAYS have these conversations. You get all the JDM fan boys fighting that it will never happen and you get all the JDM haters saying it will.

Because so many e-thugs like to post their opinions as facts. Some people like to take away the freedom of choice of others because they think they know everything.

I swore against buying new after I bought a new '99 Civic, I was already buying 15+ year old cars when I started importing cars 4 years ago. JDM 15 year old cars beat the shit out of Canadian 15 year old cars. So you stay in your lane and I'll stay in mine, quit telling me what I can and can't buy. You don't see me posting about how I think only faggots drive Neon's, I keep that to myself because it's opinion not fact.

heavyD
08-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday

Because so many e-thugs like to post their opinions as facts. Some people like to take away the freedom of choice of others because they think they know everything.

I swore against buying new after I bought a new '99 Civic, I was already buying 15+ year old cars when I started importing cars 4 years ago. JDM 15 year old cars beat the shit out of Canadian 15 year old cars. So you stay in your lane and I'll stay in mine, quit telling me what I can and can't buy. You don't see me posting about how I think only faggots drive Neon's, I keep that to myself because it's opinion not fact.

Ha Ha Ha Ha...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You are the epitome of why JDM drivers are looked down on. I'm not telling anyone what they can or can't buy, it's the government that is regulating what is brought into this country and they have every right to do it. Call me a faggot, that's fine as I won't resort to childish name calling.:thumbsup:

gpomp
08-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Now run along back to your jdm forums and petition with all the other fanboys that Optimus Prime should have been a Skyline
nice!

mx73someday
08-11-2007, 01:07 PM

You are the epitome of why JDM drivers are looked down on.

How am I the epitome?

heavyD
08-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by mx73someday

How am I the epitome?

Spouting off about how these 15 year old jdm cars are so much better than 15 year old Canadian cars. Give your head a shake. Maybe one out of ten jdm import cars are in nice condition, how is that so much better than a Canadian car? Plus it's almost impossible to get a bone stock jdm car. Most of them come with hideous body kits or ricey interior mods and trashed interiors. Many come with undercarriage rust that we don't see in Western Canada. Lets call a spade a spade. A 15 year old car is a 15 year old car regardless of where it comes from. 15 year old cars are a few years from the scrap heap no matter what make or country. Take a look at Calgary streets. You don't see many cars older than mid-90's.

As I said before, the 15 year rule was never made so teenagers could import cheap Japanese vehicles for daily drivers and it has nothing to do with taking sales away from north american cars and everything to do with safety. New cars come with much more safety equipment than even five years ago so you can see why the government would prefer that drivers in the 'riskiest' age groups not drive cars that are; RHD, 15 years old with no airbags, never built or intended for this market, lack safety features that the government demands on new cars. It's not just there to protect you but innocent passengers or other drivers.

Nobody is telling you what you can or can't drive but Canada is entitled to regulate what you bring into the country. If you don't like it, move to Japan.

mx73someday
08-11-2007, 03:15 PM
[B]
Plus it's almost impossible to get a bone stock jdm car.

This isn't true. If you source from Japan, it's easy to get bone stock cars. It might be true that the majority of the imported cars aren't bone stock, this is a reflection of what the majority of buyers want. We import mostly modified or modified looking vehicles, typically only by request do we get stock cars.

Most of them come with hideous body kits or ricey interior mods and trashed interiors.

This is relative to your opinion, I somwehat agree with you but this isn't an argument supporting why they shouldn't come in. It comes down to people's choices, you don't get to make that decision for people.

Many come with undercarriage rust that we don't see in Western Canada. Lets call a spade a spade. A 15 year old car is a 15 year old car regardless of where it comes from. 15 year old cars are a few years from the scrap heap no matter what make or country. Take a look at Calgary streets. You don't see many cars older than mid-90's.

Are you blind? I see EK Civic's rusting out on Calgary streets, 15 year old Canadian cars don't have rust??!! There is an incredible difference between 15 year old Japanese and Canadian vehicles. Most Canadian examples have 200k-300k km on them. The average Japanese car has 100,000km. I can't believe you think that JDM's are rustier than 15 year old Canadian cars.

Take the 240SX for example, it's hard to find clean examples without rust in Canada. In Japan, there are all kinds of variety without rust or body damage.

As I said before, the 15 year rule was never made so teenagers could import cheap Japanese vehicles for daily drivers and it has nothing to do with taking sales away from north american cars and everything to do with safety. New cars come with much more safety equipment than even five years ago so you can see why the government would prefer that drivers in the 'riskiest' age groups not drive cars that are; RHD, 15 years old with no airbags, never built or intended for this market, lack safety features that the government demands on new cars.

You're misinfored, Japanese imports have airbags just as often as their North American counterparts (it's funny that you think airbags make a car safer).

Why are you comparing 15 year old Japanese standards to *new* Canadian standards? Should we force 15 year old Canadian cars to be retrofitted to new standards also?

I don't really care what teenagers drive, that's a completely different argument and it could be used against all sports cars, not just JDM's. Like a kid in an SRT-4 isn't dangerous. You can't penalize responsible drivers for the actions of untrained idiots.

If you don't like it, move to Japan.

At least they allow both LHD and RHD in Japan, just like all of Europe. They even allow shitty American cars to be imported. Look at the three major car manufacturing countries: US, Germany and Japan. In Germany the majority of cars are German, in Japan the majority are Japanese, in the US only half are American.

The speculative rule change has nothing to do with safety, IVOAC has proven that the collision numbers and lack of fatalities show that these cars are in fact more safe. I strongly feel that officials at Transport Canada are simply reacting to this new trend, that they feel if it gets too popular it might cause some unknown effect beyond their control. There is no doubt that if we were allowed to import any year of cars from Japan that it would influence our market, whether this is a good thing or not is subjective (I'm not scared of change, I'm happy to see any trend involving smaller cars with smaller engines or diesel powered vehicles). Transport Canada simply doesn't want to be liable in the case that it influences our market poorly.

Take a look at motorcycles, they are without a doubt more dangerous than any other vehicle on the road. They don't offer the same protections as new Canadian cars. Even passengers can ride on a motorcycle, proving that it is perfectly acceptable to subject a passenger to lesser safety. Motorcycles reflect the freedom we deserve to choose the vehicle of our choice, because they offer lesser safety but they aren't banned yet.

Deetz
08-11-2007, 03:24 PM

Spouting off about how these 15 year old jdm cars are so much better than 15 year old Canadian cars. Give your head a shake. Maybe one out of ten jdm import cars are in nice condition, how is that so much better than a Canadian car? Plus it's almost impossible to get a bone stock jdm car. Most of them come with hideous body kits or ricey interior mods and trashed interiors. Many come with undercarriage rust that we don't see in Western Canada. Lets call a spade a spade. A 15 year old car is a 15 year old car regardless of where it comes from. 15 year old cars are a few years from the scrap heap no matter what make or country. Take a look at Calgary streets. You don't see many cars older than mid-90's.

As I said before, the 15 year rule was never made so teenagers could import cheap Japanese vehicles for daily drivers and it has nothing to do with taking sales away from north american cars and everything to do with safety. New cars come with much more safety equipment than even five years ago so you can see why the government would prefer that drivers in the 'riskiest' age groups not drive cars that are; RHD, 15 years old with no airbags, never built or intended for this market, lack safety features that the government demands on new cars. It's not just there to protect you but innocent passengers or other drivers.

Nobody is telling you what you can or can't drive but Canada is entitled to regulate what you bring into the country. If you don't like it, move to Japan.

Well i do no totally agree with all that. I have a few cars myself, one of them being a stock rhd 1992 model celica. The car had a history of being parked in a garage most its life, and sits in new condition as i have it. No rust, not evewn a spot anywhere on the car, top, bottom or the underside. Car has all the latest safety features including airbags, and ABS. It has 90k on it, and i like to think of it as somewhat of a collectors car being that is a convertable model.

I agree, there are a number of rough looking car that get imported into the country. Not sure how they get approved inspections, or what people pay money at all for some of the models out there.

As for the law passing, it kind of a shame, cause some models really are worth bring in.
Does this law apply to only rhd cars, or all imported car. Countries like Japan have many left hand drive european models to offer too.

banned3x
08-11-2007, 03:46 PM
i was driving down to calgary and i saw a check stop, i thought it was a one of those long weekend drinking and driving check stops, so when the cop came up to me he said you can go son, and i was like whats this all about? and he said oh were looking for japanese imports... something like that so any ways i saw like 7-8 cars on the road but there was nobody inside them but when i drove pâst them, i saw the drivers on the other side. crazy man i didnt see the mobil crusher there, but there was a big ass monster truck probably getting ready to take them out.

ottamania
08-11-2007, 05:16 PM
i dunno about pulled by police and all that. cause we still have time till january plus they cant take your car away from u that is already imported legally. what kind of bs is that?

banned3x
08-11-2007, 05:21 PM
i was joking about the monster truck but the rest is real

95EagleAWD
08-11-2007, 05:25 PM

15 year old cars are a few years from the scrap heap no matter what make or country.

That is a pretty big generalisatoin.

Graham_A_M
08-11-2007, 05:34 PM
I Agree a lot with what Heavy D is saying, but its almost difficult to find a JDM import with ANY rust on it, To the best of my knowledge, they dont use salt on their roads during winter time, I've only seen a very very small handful of JDM cars with so much as a spec of rust on them.

Although what he said about these 16-19 year old kids getting these RHD turbocharged cars and getting into horrendous accidents with them holds very true.
If I was to import a car, it would be a LHD one such as a BMW or Benz. :thumbsup:

ninjak84
08-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Why do so many people deem 15 year old Japanese cars as in-appropriate for teenagers to drive? It's my opinion that they're a pretty good choice. They're cheaper, faster, and have more style than what the North American market can offer.

When I was 16, I easily spent twice as much money on my North American S13 than I would have if I had the option of importing a Japanese S13. Now I can afford newer and nicer .... but if there were JDM brokers around ~10 years ago, I'd have bought one.

Regardless of opinion, I'm siding with freedom to choose on this issue. If it's unsafe, keep it off the boat. But we should have the freedom to drive whatever we want within reason.

jsn
08-11-2007, 06:30 PM

15 year old cars are a few years from the scrap heap no matter what make or country. Take a look at Calgary streets. You don't see many cars older than mid-90's.

I agree with you in some ways, but this is a huge generalization. Actually I see a lot of mid 90s and late 80s cars driving around and although some have rust, many are not even close to hitting the scrap heaps. All depends on the owner of the car and how they take care of it. My 86 mr2 still has a long time to go :thumbsup: