PDA

View Full Version : Experiencing computer "lag"

lammer
06-26-2003, 03:59 AM
Ever since I got this new harddrive into my computer, i have experienced many hardcore "lag" spikes.

i just stuck in a 40 gig harddrive. and its killing me. everytime i load up games, it lags mroe than usual. when i restart my computer it takes a minute to start up rather than the usual 15 seconds. i can't take it anymore!!!

is there a way i can speed it up? or get rid of the "lag"?

Ashkente
06-26-2003, 04:22 AM
Did you stick it on the same channel as another drive? How fast are both drives? The slowest one on a channel will be the fastest that channel goes. Also, try checking your DMA settings.

benyl
06-26-2003, 07:28 AM
I had that same problem. Make sure that you have the master drive on the correct location on the ribbon if you have your drives on the same channel.

BlaCkPlaGUE
06-26-2003, 12:01 PM
So with this new drive, did you get your data copied over to it? or did you just re-install everything?
As easy as it sounds, try a defrag, if a program is spread out all over the drive, then it takes forever to load and will make the hard drive work like crazy. Defragin organizes all the programs and files into chunks on the disk that can be read in a single area.

Other than that, make sure dma is enabled, you can check it by right clicking "my computer", click on properties, click on the device manager tab, then click on the "+" sign besides "disk drives" and then goto the properties for the hard drive. Under the settings tab, dma should be "ticked" off.
If you got win2k then click on the hardware tab, then device manager to find it.

lammer
06-26-2003, 12:06 PM
I have WINXP home edition, i can't seem to find that DMA thing you guys are talking about.

Strider
06-26-2003, 12:13 PM
right click "my computer" > Properties > "Hardware" tab > "Device Manager" > "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" > right click primary > properties > "advancded settings" tab > "transfer mode" should say "DMA if available"

sml
06-26-2003, 05:36 PM
put a smaller turbo or twin turbo to get rid of "lag"... :rofl: