PDA

View Full Version : Reasons not to buy type r?

sillyd
06-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Ok i got some great advice about driving this car in winter, i'm not worried about this anymore. I'm deciding between the r and gs-r. For a guy who drives a lot, is hard on cars, and works hard for his money, what are the reasons why a type r may not be the best choice??

Tks for your input.

max_boost
06-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Because you can't afford it, that is the only reason :rofl:

Reason why I didn't get SLK32 AMG or M3, because it's more than I can afford :rofl:

kevie88
06-26-2003, 11:15 AM
Type R owns, but what's the difference in price?

max_boost
06-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Actually, I can think of a couple things now. Type-R's don't come with leather seats and early models had no Air Conditioning! I think difference in price about $4000?:dunno:

V6-BoI
06-26-2003, 11:18 AM
If you can afford it, then there is no reason for you not to get the type R.

V6-BoI
06-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Actually, I can think of a couple things now. Type-R's don't come with leather seats and early models had no Air Conditioning! I think difference in price about $4000?:dunno:

Leather seats is no problem, get the 2001 model with the red seats :D
As far as A/C goes.. just open the window, haha

bksze
06-26-2003, 11:22 AM
Don't buy one if you like having leather seats or a sunroof.

Buy one if you love driving.

redline
06-26-2003, 12:14 PM

Canadian models never had a/c standard but as a option in all years.

2000+ us models had a/c standard.

Moonracer
06-26-2003, 12:19 PM
Go for the type R of course and if I need to say why then don't get one....lol
If I had a type R I wouldn't want ac anyway, it's all about performance not luxury.

Redlyne_mr2
06-26-2003, 12:20 PM
Most if not all used type r's have been beat on hard, they can take it but only for so long

Abom
06-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Moonracer
If I had a type R I wouldn't want ac anyway, it's all about performance not luxury.

I dunno, when the sun's out on a hot summer day and it's 35 degree out and you're stuck in traffic, that really sucks.

Moonracer
06-26-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Abom

I dunno, when the sun's out on a hot summer day and it's 35 degree out and you're stuck in traffic, that really sucks.

Yeah but that only happens a few days out of the summer...:dunno:

Khyron
06-26-2003, 12:47 PM
Just curious if the insurance company knows enough to ding "Type R" owners or if it's something you just don't mention.

Khyron

Paul
06-26-2003, 12:55 PM

I drive a 1997 Acura Integra Type R. It has factory A/C.

and the only con i can think of for a Type R...no rear wiper :rolleyes:

Paul
06-26-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
Just curious if the insurance company knows enough to ding "Type R" owners or if it's something you just don't mention.

Khyron

When i told my insurance company i bought a new car, they asked for the VIN# and right away they knew it was a Type R, I don't think theres anyway around it.

Insurance isn't that bad, i'm 23 with a clean record and my insurance is under 2 hun/mo. I don't know how i have a clean record though :nut: i drive like an idiot half the time.

B17a
06-26-2003, 01:03 PM
The only bad thing about owning and ITR I can think of is, its such a easily identifiable car, you'll have every ricer on the road trying to race you at every light. Not sure if that's the case for you ITR owners but I can just imagine it!:)

Paul
06-26-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by B17a
The only bad thing about owning and ITR I can think of is, its such a easily identifiable car, you'll have every ricer on the road trying to race you at every light. Not sure if that's the case for you ITR owners but I can just imagine it!:)

yeah...you're right...it does happen more often than when I drove my nissan altima. You get a lot of stupid people driving like idiots around you, especially if you have anything done to it.

ACS-e36
06-26-2003, 01:18 PM
hmm reasong not to get a type r... its FWD! having no AC is a bitch sometimes on those days when its REALLY hot

redx2nv
06-26-2003, 03:03 PM
i wouldnt have got it if it didnt have ac, luxury has more precedence than performance sometimes..

shadowz
06-26-2003, 03:46 PM
What are you talking about no leather Suede seats !!! lol

bksze
06-26-2003, 03:49 PM
you should stop being so wishy washy and just buy mine haha

got AC too!!!

Paul
06-26-2003, 04:05 PM
ask to see his shaved SR logo....it's kinda hidden if you know what i mean *wink-wink*

Doodle
06-26-2003, 06:12 PM
Werd, I think most r's have been driven as hard as can be.

Seanith
06-26-2003, 06:28 PM
Theres one type r at the u of c thats driven by some hot chick...i'm sure that car is prime pickings! She doesn't seem to bag on it at all...

FiveFreshFish
06-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Your car can get very hot inside even when it isn't very hot outside. It'll be cooking inside if it's only a sunny 25ºC day and you've parked for an hour or more.

Scat
06-26-2003, 08:08 PM
Just get a GS-R
its not quite a type-r but you can get some nice mods with the money you would save

cocoabrova
06-26-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by sillyd
what are the reasons why a type r may not be the best choice??

Tks for your input.
There are none. Buy bksze's.
That is all.
:thumbsup:

RiceCake
06-27-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by ACS-e36
hmm reasong not to get a type r... its FWD! having no AC is a bitch sometimes on those days when its REALLY hot

A/C is definately a nice thing to have, but damn who cares if a Type R is FWD, its still a damn well built machine! :D

Originally posted by cocoabrova

There are none. Buy bksze's.
That is all.
:thumbsup:

:werd: Just buy bksze's! :thumbsup:

redline_13000
06-27-2003, 01:16 AM
Who cares about leather seats and A/C, buy the damn car :thumbsup:

dsm69
06-27-2003, 01:23 AM
type r's are to damm slow

redline_13000
06-27-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by dsm69

so what, its about the quality. Not to mention handling and looks :)

SPooLiN
06-27-2003, 01:45 AM
Its really up to you, but here are some things to think about:

- For the price of a type r, you could buy a GSR and still have money to play with and depending on how you spend that money, that GSR will eat the ITR.

- As was said before, pretty much all the ITRs are bagged to shit. There is a reason why people bought the ITR in the first place and it wasnt to drive grandma to church on sunday.;)

-Basically the ITR is an "out of the box" racecar. There isnt much you can do to the car other than some bolt-ons unless you want to go re-doing the internals and stuff ( essentially changing what makes it an ITR in the first place). However, if you are looking for a good track/auto x car this would be as close to perfection for the $$$.

I once wanted an ITR myself, but after rethinking my options I decided that there are much better ways to spend 20g+ when looking for a car to buy. IMO you arent getting much for what you pay for except for the ability to say "I own a type r" and not just a "regular" integra.

In no way am I bashing the ITR or people who own them, they are awesome cars and I do really like them but I just have my priorities different. :werd:

bksze
06-27-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by SPooLiN
Its really up to you, but here are some things to think about:

- For the price of a type r, you could buy a GSR and still have money to play with and depending on how you spend that money, that GSR will eat the ITR.

- As was said before, pretty much all the ITRs are bagged to shit. There is a reason why people bought the ITR in the first place and it wasnt to drive grandma to church on sunday.;)

-Basically the ITR is an "out of the box" racecar. There isnt much you can do to the car other than some bolt-ons unless you want to go re-doing the internals and stuff ( essentially changing what makes it an ITR in the first place). However, if you are looking for a good track/auto x car this would be as close to perfection for the $$$.

I once wanted an ITR myself, but after rethinking my options I decided that there are much better ways to spend 20g+ when looking for a car to buy. IMO you arent getting much for what you pay for except for the ability to say "I own a type r" and not just a "regular" integra.

In no way am I bashing the ITR or people who own them, they are awesome cars and I do really like them but I just have my priorities different. :werd:

actually with the money you save from buying a GSR as opposed to an ITR, there isn't much left for you to do, compare mine selling at 17500 to a GSR selling for ~14 (same year, same amount of km) , IHE, and cams or pulleys will still have it lookin at my ITR's taillights . . . mine comes with IE and cams haha
(shameless plug hahaha http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14248)

not all ITR's are bagged to shit, most people who buy ITR's want performance as well as a daily driver . . . but how many people do you know redline their car in daily driving? maybe for the first couple of weeks of owning the car . . . either way, it comes down to who owns the car . . . i can honestly say i've bagged my ITR, but has the service been maintained, yes quite diligently

as far as tuning potential . . . why start with an engine that has 170hp when you can have one with 197hp, there is nothing that comes close to the reliability of stock hp and if i could choose, any car i buy would be the highest power output from the factory that i could afford . . . which is why i bought the S4 as opposed to the a4, I could've saved myself up to 10g . . . besides, lots of boosted ITRs in the states, as well as here, ls/vtec boosted his and he got 250whp on a mustang dyno

as far as autocross is concerned, i agree with you and how you spend your 20gs, i also agree . . . don't get an ITR if you're not into performance, in this car, performance takes precedence over luxury, but if you're just learning how to drive, i'd have to say the iTR is one of the funnest cars out there . . . honestly more fun to take out than my S4 . . . but then again I'm 20 years old, what do i know?

max_boost
06-27-2003, 02:42 AM
But if you are going to spend $20K, I just spend $3k more and buy itsalebaron's civic.....low kms, nicely modded with lots of warranty to boot!! Dam....I want it but I have no use for it but IMO, nicest civic in town.....yes, I dare say that haha

Wildcat
06-27-2003, 02:45 AM
id buy a typeR for the sticker... its JDM

Blue Devil 2
06-27-2003, 02:46 AM
i cant believe there's a thread on why not to buy a type r...

bksze
06-27-2003, 02:48 AM
But if you are going to spend $20K, I just spend $3k more and buy itsalebaron's civic.....low kms, nicely modded with lots of warranty to boot!! Dam....I want it but I have no use for it but IMO, nicest civic in town.....yes, I dare say that haha

true that, the color on that civic is PIMPSHIET haha

very much so worth the money . . . only thing is, it'll be hard to sell later on when you do decide to get rid of it . . .

Speed_RaSiR
06-27-2003, 12:00 PM
How can you even debate this?? If you have the money get an R

sillyd
06-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Blue Devil 2
i cant believe there's a thread on why not to buy a type r...

Haha
Thanks guys for all the great input. Technically speaking i know all about this car, i was just wanting people's opinions to any "real world" disadvantages to owning one. You all had good points, and now i think i'm pretty much convinced that i want one. I autocross and do a lot of fun driving so i can imagine the thrill this car would be. On the other hand, i still have a year of school left, no real job, not much $, and have abused every car i've ever driven. Shouldn't i be saving for a house instead? Anyways, with a little good fortune and a lot of effort, i'll be able to get my hands on around $25k for a car if i want to. I'm just not sure if a person in my position needs (and can afford) such a car. If not i'll just get some other (cheaper) teg.

SPooLiN
06-27-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by bksze

actually with the money you save from buying a GSR as opposed to an ITR, there isn't much left for you to do, compare mine selling at 17500 to a GSR selling for ~14 (same year, same amount of km) , IHE, and cams or pulleys will still have it lookin at my ITR's taillights . . . mine comes with IE and cams haha
(shameless plug hahaha http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14248)

not all ITR's are bagged to shit, most people who buy ITR's want performance as well as a daily driver . . . but how many people do you know redline their car in daily driving? maybe for the first couple of weeks of owning the car . . . either way, it comes down to who owns the car . . . i can honestly say i've bagged my ITR, but has the service been maintained, yes quite diligently

as far as tuning potential . . . why start with an engine that has 170hp when you can have one with 197hp, there is nothing that comes close to the reliability of stock hp and if i could choose, any car i buy would be the highest power output from the factory that i could afford . . . which is why i bought the S4 as opposed to the a4, I could've saved myself up to 10g . . . besides, lots of boosted ITRs in the states, as well as here, ls/vtec boosted his and he got 250whp on a mustang dyno

as far as autocross is concerned, i agree with you and how you spend your 20gs, i also agree . . . don't get an ITR if you're not into performance, in this car, performance takes precedence over luxury, but if you're just learning how to drive, i'd have to say the iTR is one of the funnest cars out there . . . honestly more fun to take out than my S4 . . . but then again I'm 20 years old, what do i know?

I didnt realize that you are selling your ITR for so cheap :) . Usually they sell for around the 20g+ range so thats what I was basing my "bang for the buck" comparison for the GSR and ITR. In that case I would take your ITR over a GSR. (assuming everything on your car was in order).

Ya I do know that there are a few boosted ones running around but how long are they gonna last with such high compression until something blows and you have to rebuild them. Personally if I was going to build the motor I would keep it all motor and swap in the toda cams and everything. Nothing sounds crazier than reving to 11k rpm.:nut:

And with the daily driving thing, my friend actually owns a type R and when I drive with him I notice that he never shifts below 7000 rpm. Mabey thats why his motor blew up :dunno: haha.... Im not saying all ITR drivers drive like that, but I would try to get the background of the car before considering it. Its not really any different than buying any "preformance orientated" vehicle... I bought my MR2T from 2 mid 30 year olds who were the original owners and had to sell cause they had a baby. Im pretty sure I can safely say that I probably drove that car harder for the first couple weeks than it ever had before in its entire lifetime :) .
Since then Ive calmed down tho... I want to put some big numbers down and you cant do that with a worn out motor.

Weapon_R
06-27-2003, 07:59 PM

If not i'll just get some other (cheaper) teg.

I regretted having this attitude 3 years ago man...

Well...not so much anymore tho :)

Joe Malms
06-27-2003, 08:16 PM
reasons not to buy a type R?

its a honda.

*puts flame suit on*

DonJuan
06-27-2003, 11:03 PM
what are the reasons why a type r may not be the best choice??

Tks for your input.

Reason #1: IT A HONDA!!!! haha honda sux "whirrrr" I can hear the flame throwers already! hehe, oh no! aaaaahhhhh! FLAMES!!
:guns:
kiddin' Type R cuz u dont need comforts like AC, and leather. Much less back seat, side seat, dash, roll down glass windows, carpet, headliner, heater etc... winters here arn't that cold! HAHA!

bksze
06-28-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by SPooLiN

And with the daily driving thing, my friend actually owns a type R and when I drive with him I notice that he never shifts below 7000 rpm

your friend must be CRAZYYYYYYYYYy haha, i'd hate to ride in his car, he must be braking all the time or accelerating hard all the time . . . unless he drives the speed limit a gear low and drives deerfoot at gear 2 or something shit haha

Originally posted by Joe Malms

its a honda.

*puts flame suit on*

haha no need for a flame suit . . . people have different opinions, i'd never buy a mazda for the same reason i'd never buy a ford . . . but then again, there are a million people who swear they would never purchase audi/vw, yet i just bought me one . . .

as far as the type R is concerned though, it's honestly one of the best bang for the buck cars out there . . . in the 20g range, the only other cars i would consider are preludes . . . everything else seems to be too little power or too much maintenance . . . with honda, you have reliability, that's proven time and time again

Doodle
06-29-2003, 08:35 PM
What I wouldn't do for a civic type R instead of a ITR mmmmmm what would a civic r be worth here?

Weapon_R
06-29-2003, 08:52 PM
Reasons not to buy type r?

1) You are gay.

That is all.

lammer
06-29-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Doodle
What I wouldn't do for a civic type R instead of a ITR mmmmmm what would a civic r be worth here?

one million dollars....Muahahah hahah hahah.

redx2nv
06-29-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by bksze
[B]

your friend must be CRAZYYYYYYYYYy haha, i'd hate to ride in his car, he must be braking all the time or accelerating hard all the time . . . unless he drives the speed limit a gear low and drives deerfoot at gear 2 or something shit haha

Hah, you'd hate to ride with me then.... :nut: I'ts hard not speed in this car..WOT blasts with the aem is pure fucking extacy, this car is BADASS :clap:

Soon to be jdm itr pistons, skunk2 stage 2's, skunk2 valve springs, skunk2 cam gears, skunk2 valves, heavy p/p, header(not sure), 2.5 n1 exhaust, spoon 2 layer, spoon fw, spoon pp, spoon clutch disk, hondata...all motor baby! :bigpimp:

Abom
06-29-2003, 09:49 PM
I don't care what anyone says, but A/C is something you will miss in the summer heat. I had a car with a power sunroof, and it was a coupe, so larger door windows, and even with all 3 open, it was still hotter than hell in the car. And I don't really mind heat in a car, but that was AWFUL. I wouldn't sacrifice A/C for anything.

redx2nv
06-29-2003, 09:52 PM
yup and a/c kit is discontinued by the dealer(not to metion is costs like $1800).. mine was installed at 800 miles, i guess the previous owner got fed up and got it installed...

finboy
06-29-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by dsm69

Originally posted by Joe Malms

its a honda.

*puts flame suit on*

air_mikey
06-29-2003, 11:12 PM
i wish i had ac...even with the top off, every red light is a bitch. gets so hot. but i guess in an itr it wouldnt be as bad cuz there isnt a sunroof or anything so the sun wouldnt be on you as bad. i would have to pick the itr even if it didnt have a sunroof or ac.

theken
06-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Because you can't afford it, that is the only reason :rofl:

Reason why I didn't get SLK32 AMG or M3, because it's more than I can afford :rofl:
dont lie :D why dont u buy me an s2000 as well :thumbsup:

Abom
06-30-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by air_mikey
i wish i had ac...even with the top off, every red light is a bitch. gets so hot. but i guess in an itr it wouldnt be as bad cuz there isnt a sunroof or anything so the sun wouldnt be on you as bad. i would have to pick the itr even if it didnt have a sunroof or ac.

Just an idea for ya, but you can have your sunroof limo tinted to keep the sun out :thumbsup:

air_mikey
06-30-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Abom

Just an idea for ya, but you can have your sunroof limo tinted to keep the sun out :thumbsup:
i have targa. but i came to the conclusion today that its not as bad when the top is still on and all the windows down.