PDA

View Full Version : tradeing cars that aren't registered in Alberta

5G_celica
08-11-2007, 06:24 PM
hi all,

I'm trying to find out some info about trading cars. the car I want it registered in manitoba and my car is registered in BC.

we both obviously don't have an Alberta drivers licence.

is there aneasy way to swap registrations easily before getting it registered in alberta?

does any one know the quickest and best way to do that?

Thanks for your help.

schurchill39
08-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Unless you plan on moving to manitoba and the guy getting your car is moving to BC your going to need to get out of province inspections done on each vehicle before registering it in a new province. I would recommend going out and getting this done before you make the trade that way if anything pops up you will know before the vehicles change hands. Once that is done simply write up a bill of sale and take that and your inspection sheet to your local insurance agency and put insurance on it, then go and get registration.

Simple as pie.

EDIT: I just re-read your thread and noticed you dont have alberta drivers licences. Dont quote me on this but I think you may have to switch your licences over to alberta in order to register the cars here. I am pretty sure thats as easy as going down and paying a fee. Once that is done you should be good to go.

Your best bet is to call up your local registries and ask them. I know the first half of my response is right but I am not sure about the licence part, maybe some one else can chime in?

brucebanner
08-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
EDIT: I just re-read your thread and noticed you dont have alberta drivers licences. Dont quote me on this but I think you may have to switch your licences over to alberta in order to register the cars here. I am pretty sure thats as easy as going down and paying a fee. Once that is done you should be good to go.

Your best bet is to call up your local registries and ask them. I know the first half of my response is right but I am not sure about the licence part, maybe some one else can chime in?

I am not from Alberta, and I had purchased a car here in Alberta, I still have my provincial licence from NB. I had no problems what so ever when trying to get insurance or registering the car.

I would think that you guys are good to go from my experience..

schurchill39
08-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Go figure, I guess I was wrong about the licence part of it. Thanks for clearing that up bruce!

5G_celica
08-17-2007, 10:10 AM
thanks for the info guys,

but it seems like it might be a hassle so I'm not gonna bother with that.

jus wondering, does anyone know if dealers take out of province cars as trade ins? I feel like upgrading my car. don't really want to inspect my car if I'm just going to get rid of it

brucebanner
08-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Theres really only one way to find out, just stop by a dealer with your car and ask.

Only thing they could say that you don't want to hear is no..

5G_celica
08-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by bruceod
Theres really only one way to find out, just stop by a dealer with your car and ask.

Only thing they could say that you don't want to hear is no..

That would make the most sence.

Thanks