PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver and nice cars

bigbadboss101
08-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Here in Vancouver for the weekend. Lot of nice cars here. In Calgary we have some nice cars, and some beaters. In Fort Mac where I work there aren't many beaters and in general people drive decent cars, mostly trucks. Now in Vancouver, at least in Richmond it seems everyone drives nice cars.

My question is, do people feel they have to fit in? I am sure there are people who drive nice cars cuz they car afford to. There are people who get a nice car to keep up with the Wongs (lol) and impress girls and friends. Of course there are normal people with their normal cars.

Now I am Chinese, so don't say I am prejudice. I might reverse discriminate instead. Lot of young male in Vancouver with nice cars. What's the deal? Some might make $40,000 and put all the $ into their cars. Some might have rich parents. Others have good jobs to justify. Honestly some Chinese, or Asian in general should buy cheap so cars cuz they can't drive. A lot of people like to park by backing in. First of all, it take then 2 minute to park the car the normal way. Backing in take them longer. And it takes them a day and half to get out of a parking spot.

My friends always tell me I should go for this or that Asian female (friend) but my head is tainted. I always think of Asians (Chinese) as being spoiled, materialistic, like to play volleyball and badminton and avoid other sports they are bad at. In a way it's my loss cuz I have some good good female friends but I tend to be attracted to petit White gals who are quite sporty.

Back to nice cars. Saw a RS4 here. Sweet car, but $100k though. Must be some CEO driving it. Or it could be a guy making $50,000 figuring he can spend $1200 a month financing it :-).

urban.one
08-11-2007, 07:23 PM
lots of grow ops out there

frozenrice
08-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Without sounding prejudice myself (I'm Asian as well), but I think it is just the Asian way of life. I discussed this topic numerous times with a few Asian friends and they concur that it has a lot to do with pride. Stems from older generations that had to go through a lot of hardship to make something for themselves. Somewhere along the way material things made their way as an indication that they succeeded. This eventually has become a way of life for some people. A lot of Asians on here have probably experienced pressure from their parents to do well in school so they can become doctors, lawyers, engineers etc. This way they can make money so they can buy lots of things. Part of the mentaility too is that they will do everything to make it as easy as possible for their kids to be happy so their kids don't have to suffer as much as the parents did to have a "happy" lifestyle. Part of this is to buy them whatever they want.

Redlyne_mr2
08-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Same thing goes for all those people in FT. Mac who drive trucks they cant afford and their wives drive massive SUV's that they cant drive.

jay42w8
08-12-2007, 12:52 AM
a lot of CBC's there, including some of my friends there have semi-decent jobs but still live at home...that's how they afford their payments....but most of the young Asian kids you see there with nice cars...just have rich ass parents

beyondpinoy
08-12-2007, 01:02 AM
i know what you mean.. i was there about 3 years to buy a car for myself (im asian too), and i was looking into buying a integra GSR, and when i was driving around Vancouver.. i felt like my GSR was a toy compared to all the nice high end cars down there..

TegLover
08-12-2007, 01:38 AM
Thats cause vancouver or richmond doesn't have the redneck attitude like we do in calgary where everyone needs a truck because their uncles, friends, and co workers drive one. I actually see alot of trucks being used for work in van or richmond whereas here they buy them to drive LOL.

Blue CRX
08-12-2007, 03:11 AM
ive been living in richmond for about 3 months and have seen tonnes of nice ass cars in and around surrounding areas. RS4 is nothing compared to the numerous amount of lambos, porshes, ferrarris etc. everyone drives high end bimmers and benz and damn mini coopers. i see more bmw's than civics, corollas combined

98type_r
08-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Blue CRX
i see more bmw's than civics, corollas combined

:werd: It seems to me that out there the 3 series is their Civic.

rage2
08-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Oh man I could write a 10 page essay on my theories of asian wealth, materialism and gold digging :rofl:.

I'm asian, and I hate that style of living.

max_boost
08-12-2007, 10:37 AM
It's because most of the Asians in Vancouver are from Hong Kong and HK is well known for its consumerism and strong materialistic values.

bigbadboss101
08-12-2007, 10:43 AM
I am sure there are some nice, down to earth, and giving Asians but in Van City it seems everyone have their blings. Newest phones, gadgets, nice wheels. Not a bad thing if they allocate their $ to the other things first (eg. debt, family, charity) but having a car worth twice your yearly salary is another thing. When I see a cheapo/normal car I smile. When I see one driving a nice Benz and can't park or drive I tell them go buy a Yugo, take the bus.

My folks live in Richmond, and a few of my friends are now working in Vancouver, moved from Calgary. I do contemplate working in Van. I think my first choice is still Calgary. Warmer climates would be considered as well. Vancouver has nice food, summer weather, parks, and in general the gals are fitter. But I don't like to be in a population with so many Asians (is that reverse Racism?). I don't think I will stay in Fort Mac too much longer. Make a few bucks and then go. No restaurants, no shopping, not enough sports clubs/events that doesn't involve drinking, no good single women, etc etc. Good think about Van is one can drive a decent car a year and don't need a beater. A $20,000 or less car, not $50,000+.

max_boost
08-12-2007, 10:50 AM
^^
I'm not sure if you are just making an observation or if you are bothered by it. No one said you have to keep up with the Jones.

Vancouver is great but $700K house + PST makes it expensive to live in.

Does the luxury car tax still apply there? Something like an additional 3.5% for cars over $60K. That would blow paying 17% tax on a new car! :eek:

Xamim
08-12-2007, 11:22 AM
I guess its just the way people live. I know people who drive some nice cars and have big houses. But when you walk into the house all the furniture looks like it was passed down for 6 generations, looks like shit basiclly. Or people that have really nice homes, inside and out...but drive shit cars. Its just their way of life...look good in front of others.

frozenrice
08-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Xamim
I guess its just the way people live..................Its just their way of life...look good in front of others.

Good example is Tony and Anita Koo. Thy ripped off that South American millionaire oil guy. Millionaire lifestyle on a salary of $35,000/year (or something like that).

QuasarCav
08-12-2007, 11:43 AM
When I stayed in Richmond for a week the lowest class car I saw was a C class, I've never seen so many AMG badges in my life.

Hakkola
08-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
When I stayed in Richmond for a week the lowest class car I saw was a C class, I've never seen so many AMG badges in my life.

Half of them are probably rebadged as AMG's. :rofl:

Xamim
08-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Half of them are probably rebadged as AMG's. :rofl:
:werd:

That proves my point I mentioned earlier, look good in front of others.

ZorroAMG
08-12-2007, 05:45 PM
EXACTLY. The dealers here in van badge everything as AMG..

LOL@ B200 ///AMG :rofl:

HiSpec
08-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Ever want to drive a big F350 super cab (if F350 comes in super cab trim) in Richmond? And double park? I like to see all those rich/"rich" teenagers with their nice car's reaction hahah

But to the op, I know exactly how you feel. When I was down there few years back, I rented a car down there. My friend who lives down there was told to tell me and my friends to hop in their cars... it was sweet to get to ride in a TL-S when they first came out, but now to think about it, it was kinda rude.

Antonito
08-12-2007, 08:17 PM
A. Lots of rich parents. In my highschool there were kids driving Beemers that their parents bought with cash. It was discouraging to say the least :( Vancouver attracts a lot of rich people.

B. Drug trade. An almost equally high percentage were dealers who spent all their money on the cars. Karma usually takes them down though as once they get to be of legal age the justice system eventually gets them

C. Normal young adults (ie not rich kids, not selling drugs) that still live at home at 25 and get to spend 99% of their wages on their cars/clothes/whatever. My buddy did that, he was making $1500 a month and was paying $1100 a month for his $65,000 Infinity SUV

Team_Mclaren
08-12-2007, 08:55 PM
Tons of Asians in Richmount live off parents working from oversea, mainly hk of course.Tthere are tons of rich people in HK of course(the S500 made it to top 10 best selling cars).

nismodrifter
08-12-2007, 08:59 PM
<Waiting for a mainlander comment from Jeff.....>

:rofl: :rofl:

TheCheff
08-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
It's because most of the Asians in Vancouver are from Hong Kong and HK is well known for its consumerism and strong materialistic values.

yes I just came back from Hong Kong and I noticed it is extremely materialistic, every highend brand they have about 8 stores of it lol & all they drive is bmw audi mercedes and porsche. but I thought Hong Kong was bad then I went to singapore and that put Hong Kong to shame.

Originally posted by Antonito
My buddy did that, he was making $1500 a month and was paying $1100 a month for his $65,000 Infinity SUV

How did he even get the approval making only 1500 a month wtf???

TomcoPDR
08-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
Tons of Asians in Richmount live off parents working from oversea, mainly hk of course.Tthere are tons of rich people in HK of course(the S500 made it to top 10 best selling cars).

There are a lot of those in Calgary too though.

Antonito
08-12-2007, 10:46 PM
^^^ how many of them are being driven by 17 year olds?

adam c
08-12-2007, 10:56 PM
i was in van, richmond, langely, burnaby, etc.. for the long weekend and i didn't see anything remotely nice as to calgary.. i saw one ferrari and maybe 6 g35's... maybe a few beemers... but nothing compared to calgary.. yesterday i saw a bently and ferrari and a few m3's..

Blue CRX
08-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by adam c
i was in van, richmond, langely, burnaby, etc.. for the long weekend and i didn't see anything remotely nice as to calgary.. i saw one ferrari and maybe 6 g35's... maybe a few beemers... but nothing compared to calgary.. yesterday i saw a bently and ferrari and a few m3's..

man those are the ghetto neighborhoods, the ferraris and lambos are all hanging out in downtown vancouver where they should be

these days, im seeing more 6 series bmw's / verts around, even tonnes of m6's. i even saw a cls 500 coupe which was fuckin nice!

S206
08-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by jay42w8
a lot of CBC's there, including some of my friends there have semi-decent jobs but still live at home...that's how they afford their payments....but most of the young Asian kids you see there with nice cars...just have rich ass parents

That's right. Next time you see the young asians drive a nice car, just presume they have rich parents. However , you also can get it in the future if you work hard and the feeling is the way better than your parents buy you one. 4 out of 10 chinese students are not spending their life on study. They just come here and contribute to the canada's GDP. If u have some chinese friends around you then you will know it's ture.

blinkme_210
08-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Xamim
I guess its just the way people live. I know people who drive some nice cars and have big houses. But when you walk into the house all the furniture looks like it was passed down for 6 generations, looks like shit basiclly. Or people that have really nice homes, inside and out...but drive shit cars. Its just their way of life...look good in front of others.

The difference with Richmond is that 90% of the asians who live there have the bank accounts to back up their over the top lifestyle. This applies to Hongers, not so much with mainlanders, haha. The mainlanders are the ones working the food stalls, and restaurants in Richmond.

blinkme_210
08-13-2007, 05:01 PM

Yeh... you obviously didn't even go near Richmond, haha. Take a drive down Bridgeport Rd & No. 3, the epicenter of rich asians in Richmond, and you will witness firsthand what everyone in this thread is talking about.

Xtrema
08-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by TheCheff
How did he even get the approval making only 1500 a month wtf???

Co-signed. Many asian parents even if there's loaded in debt will co-sign their kid's cars.

Knew a kid who's works @ $14/hr data entry and driving around $38K RAV4.

This used to be Asian way of life. But I think the general public is catching on. Every race is now the same, as long as they have $$, they will shower their kids with it.

jay42w8
08-13-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by HiSpec
Ever want to drive a big F350 super cab (if F350 comes in super cab trim) in Richmond? And double park? I like to see all those rich/&quot;rich&quot; teenagers with their nice car's reaction hahah

they would be like....wAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH so big! (big, like the way Russel Peters says it hahahaa)

S206
08-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210

The difference with Richmond is that 90% of the asians who live there have the bank accounts to back up their over the top lifestyle. This applies to Hongers, not so much with mainlanders, haha. The mainlanders are the ones working the food stalls, and restaurants in Richmond.
haha! Never ever under estimate the mainlanders. They are the way richer than the Hongers.

googe
08-14-2007, 01:35 AM
Heh these threads are so lame. Everyone gets bent out of shape about what other people are buying and how they are paying for it. Then they have to take shots at them and why what they have isn't valid to justify why they can't do the same. Really, :whocares:

Machi
08-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210

Yeh... you obviously didn't even go near Richmond, haha. Take a drive down Bridgeport Rd &amp; No. 3, the epicenter of rich asians in Richmond, and you will witness firsthand what everyone in this thread is talking about.

:werd: or go to the aberdeen mall parking lot and i guarantee you'll see more benz/bmw/etc. compared to civics, and whatnot..

Artega
08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
talk about HK ppl being materialistic...

I saw the CL63 AMG about 2 weeks after it was introduced parked at the HK football club parking lot

There were, seriously, more Mercedes in HK than civics and other beaters

snow_daniel
08-14-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Machi

:werd: or go to the aberdeen mall parking lot and i guarantee you'll see more benz/bmw/etc. compared to civics, and whatnot..
I just been there last weekend...and you are right
I only saw BMW or Benz in the parking lot other than that there is some really nice Import car with highly Mod, G35, STI or TSX.
I can't even find a single Honda/Toyota car @ the parking...
what else in the parking lot is Brand new Acura or Lexus (CSX or IS350)

Even you found Honda Civic hatchback they had been highly Mod with after market parts:nut:

If you know where E-sport in Richmond...you won't see a normal stock car but all high end Mod car over there:drool:

Team_Mclaren
08-14-2007, 04:29 PM
materialistic or not, there are tons of rich fuckers in hk who can actually afford that shit. I think some of you are just jealous. You also have to realize that import tax is 100% in hk. So they pay double of what we pay here.

bigbadboss101
08-14-2007, 10:40 PM
I am sure some peeps here can afford nice cars but choose otherwise. Some actually give $ to the poor, volunteer, and help their family out.

It's about having to keep up or fit in that's annoying. It's like teenage gals wanting to look like a star singer or actress thinking they have to be like them.

Team_Mclaren
08-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
[B]I am sure some peeps here can afford nice cars but choose otherwise. Some actually give $ to the poor, volunteer, and help their family out.

you dont get it do you, there's a different between being able to afford them and being rich. They are not bad people, they are just rich. They have money, sounded like you are just jealous and bitter.... like many out there...

like seriously... if you make a million a year, would you and buy a civic? I sure as hell wouldnt :rolleyes:

max_boost
08-15-2007, 12:30 AM

you dont get it do you, there's a different between being able to afford them and being rich. They are not bad people, they are just rich. They have money, sounded like you are just jealous and bitter.... like many out there...

like seriously... if you make a million a year, would you and buy a civic? I sure as hell wouldnt :rolleyes:

bigbadboss101 needs to be a little less concerned with how people are spending their money.

I mean really, who gives a fuck!

BoS_DC2
08-15-2007, 01:23 AM

take a trip down robson street or anywhere in downtown van and you'll see a handful of ferraris/porsche. Probably over 2 dozen newer bmws and a few bentleys in one day.. That's what I saw today lol -_-.

frozenrice
08-15-2007, 06:45 AM

bigbadboss101 needs to be a little less concerned with how people are spending their money.

You need to get off of bigboss's back. He's expressing an opinion and has started a discussion that has led to where it's at. Some how you've taken this personally and single him out for his comments. You're entitled you own opinions too, but leave personal attacks out of it.
Reading back to the OP, it's clear that it wasn't his intent to take the discussion in this direction. In fact I myself may have steered it to where it's at, so my apologies if you don't like where it ended up.

bigbadboss101
08-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Exactly. It's like I say people who beat up women and abuse children should be punished and you can say who gives a F. No jealousy here cuz I can afford to go buy a nice car but didn't. I can go and dope up which I don't (or others here do not want to). I can sleep around and I don't (which others might or might not do). If we all live with deaf years and blind eyes, the world would be a much different place.

I did not knock the people who car afford ithe nice cars. I am looking at those who live beyond their means. Look at the USA. Lot of people maxed our their credits and buy buy buy. When the job market goes, or the economy goes south, people sell, bail and panic. If my posts made you feel guilty or self conscious, that's your problem. And if you want to meet me somewhere to talk cars and hash other things out, I can do that too.

Team_Mclaren
08-15-2007, 12:21 PM
First of all, i respect your opinion,

I think you have misread what i wrote. I'm not talking about personal choices, but more or less the fact that they are RICH, and rich people buy shit. Simply as that. Again, its not only because they "can", its because they have the money to spend and people who are rich normally spend on nice and good shit. You assumed that they buy nice cars because they are materialistic . But the fact is that they have money, and money buys nice stuff.

Its funny for people to make shit up just to knock the guys with wealth and actually spend on nice stuff... Why cant u just accept the fact that they are better off than most of us

blinkme_210
08-15-2007, 01:50 PM
bigbadboss101: The Asians that live in Richmond BC, or Richmond ON, are rich mofos, no question about it, and they love to flaunt it. I don't want to come across as a racist or anything like that, but most 1st generation asians are very good with their finances. They will rarely ever live above and beyond the lifestyle they can afford.

The traditional Asian mindset is to make money and pass on that fortune to their children; whether they have a lot of money or not. Compare that to the Caucasian mindset of, "once the kids turn 18, we let them loose, and they can live their life however they want"; this is a generalization, but you get what I mean. Asians who do have money will buy luxury cars for their 16 year old, or heck, some will even buy a house for their children who is living in the SAME city.

max_boost
08-15-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm not taking anything personally and I don't need to meet up with any of you to hash anything out. :rofl:

I'm just wondering why are you so concerned/interested with the materialistic culture of the Vancouver area? It is what it is. The higher concentration of rich people automatically will mean the higher number of luxury goods etc.

There will always be people living beyond their means and always people who live within their means. Some like to flaunt, others not so much. What's the big deal?:drama:

bigbadboss101
08-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Everyone is different I guess. I know people who said to mind their own business. I ones knew this gal who was dating this guy. The guy had previously dated other gals I know and they really got messed up. So some guy would say mind your own business and don't do a thing. I did and the gal wasn't happy at first to hear what I said. Then afterward she thanked me for minding other people's business and warn her about the guy.

I tell my roomie don't spend every $ you got cuz tomorow your job might be not there. That's my point. People don't plan ahead. Yeah a lot of the people are rich. But there are those who aren't and still live the millionaire lifestyle.

GTS Jeff
08-16-2007, 11:28 AM
Guys, why are we talking about mainlanders in a nice car thread? You know what the main mainlander mode of transportation is right?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2005/10/14/2002561259.jpg

GTS Jeff
08-16-2007, 11:29 AM
haha I just noticed the token white guy in the left...

Every asian crowd has it's one token white guy....:rofl:

TomcoPDR
08-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Guys, why are we talking about mainlanders in a nice car thread? You know what the main mainlander mode of transportation is right?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2005/10/14/2002561259.jpg

Looks like the next epsiode of MXC on spike.

Xamim
08-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
haha I just noticed the token white guy in the left...

Every asian crowd has it's one token white guy....:rofl:

I dont think he's white. Just looks like he has white hair:dunno:

On another note, The CEO of a company I used to work for drives a minivan... a fucking minivan and yet he makes shit load of money. So its just the way you spend your money.

googe
08-17-2007, 11:18 AM

Probably the people that were stepped on so that fortune could be acquired. And rightly so.

It's material gluttony, no matter how you justify it.

See sig :thumbsup:

bobby_lu
08-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Looks like the next epsiode of MXC on spike.

LOL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: