PDA

View Full Version : Cookie Recipes o_O

Vagabond142
08-13-2007, 01:24 AM
Cookies = yummy

This thread must = yummy if people post recipes

I post this because I just made the most kickass batch of oatmeal cookies I have EVER made, mostly discovered by trial and error and a little blind luck :D

So come on... I would love to know how you all make your chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, chewy peanut butter, whatever cookies :D COOKIES ROCK! :thumbsup:

----------------------
VAGABOND'S CHEWY OATMEAL COOKIES! :D:D

My recipe and baking instructions (I use VERY arbitrary measurements, as I do all my measuring by feel and by sight, but seeing as I was planning this thread, I kept track of how much I used) :

-1 cup flour, fork sifted (just jiggle a fork through it to break up the big clumps)
-1/2 teaspoon salt (my measurement was two generous pinches, so I'm guessing 1/2 a teaspoon)
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-3/4 cup margarine or butter, left out for 10 mins to be nice n soft
-1 1/2 cups brown sugar (white sugar or golden sugar works too, but brown has the nice caramelly taste)
-1 egg
-1/4 cup water (this was usually done by feel, but I measured it this time around)
-(optional) 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used "a dash" so I'm guessing 1 tsp)
-3 cups rolled oats (again, usually done by feel, but again, measured it out this time :D

Need: 1 mixing bowl, 1 regular bowl, large-ish fork (if you have a dish set with two fork sizes, use the bigger one, or the largest eating for you have. Longer prongs = better), two baking sheets (mine are 10 x 14 ish)

How to make:

1) Combine flour, baking soda, salt in regular bowl. Fork stir with dry fork to combine and aerate a bit. Set aside.

2) In mixing bowl, dump in margarine/butter and ALL the sugar. Take fork, cream together (for those not familiar with baking terms, this means to take the fork and rake the margarine, get sugar into the rake marks, then use some elbow grease and stir it all together) until smoothish. If you take a taste, it should feel grainy but light on the tongue.

3) While mixing, slowly add water, egg and optional vanilla extract. Mix until ingredients are combined.

4) While mixing, slowly add the dry mixture set aside earlier. Take the time to make sure it all combines, and then stir that bitch a few more times to really get it combined.

5) Add oats slowly (they can be rolled, quick cooking, fresh, no matter) and fold entirely into the dough. This should take between 3-5 minutes of continous stirring. It should be stiff but still stirrable.

6) Turn oven on to 350 F/175 C. Take your baking sheets and grease em up with baking/cooking spray or a bit of margarine spread around with a basting brush or the back of a wooden spoon. Should cover the entire surface of the baking sheet but be barely visible, ie you don't want it heavy.

7) Dollop the dough in a tablespoon onto the sheets (for smaller cookies or a higher yield, use smaller spoon, like a teaspoon or sugar spoon), in mounds (don't flatten them). Should fit 6-10 cookies per sheet, depending on cookie size.

8) Once oven is at temperature, pop dem biznitches in and bake for 12 minutes. Take a peek ~11 minutes. Cookies should look wet but bubbly (ie air bubbles should have popped the surface). At 12-15 minutes (depending on the firmness you like), turn the oven all the way to broil for 15 seconds, then turn it off, let the cookies sit for another 10 seconds in the oven, then remove. This step is to firm up the tops of the cookies.

9) Let sit on the sheets for ~3-5 minutes, until you can slide a spatula under them without them bending in half. Put on cookie racks or a large plate to finish cooling.

10) Pour large glass of milk, take 1-2 cookies with you, and enjoy :D

Yield: Depending on size, 10-30 cookies. Cowboy cookies will get 6 or so cookies out of this recipe (cowboy cookies are ones that you make in 6 inch cake pans)

Texture and flavor: These cookies are chewy and soft, and very VERY hearty. I can eat two before I start to feel my stomach go "Whoa, gettin a little full here." Very strong oaty frontness with a nice sweet backflavor, with a hint of vanilla if extract was added. Very good snacking cookie. Will stay soft ~3-4 days, and are viable another few days after that before going stale.

Vagabond's tip ;) : To add extra sweetness, dump in 1 cup of dried sweet raisins (what you usually buy in the supermarket) and reduce oats to 2 cups to make this into oatmeal raisin cookies. Also, if you want it to have a bit more a punch to counteract the sweetness and the oatiness, then add a couple of pinches of cinnamon to the dry mix at the start of the recipe. Basically do it to personal preference

Baked, cooled on racks, and served on a big plate (note: for this batch, I ran out of brown sugar, so I used white sugar, hence the lighter coloring):
http://members.shaw.ca/simon142/yummycookies.jpg

Ya think I cook too much? I love coming up with recipes and trying other peoples recipes, so post em up. :drool:

Gondi Stylez
08-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Looks yummy! Oatmeal FTW! :thumbsup: :drool:

I will consider posting my cookie recipes since they will soon be published in my book.

I have a few others that I'm not considering so when I get a chance I will put them up!

Vagabond142
08-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Oatmeal ftw, but my god they are filling :D

Tik-Tok
08-15-2007, 11:58 AM
My recipe goes to the grave with me.

doublepostwhore
08-25-2007, 02:30 AM
Recipe on the back of tollhouse for the win (phoebe can be credited with this sucess).

JAYMEZ
08-25-2007, 02:32 AM
Anyone have any receipes for ANZAC cookies??

dj_rice
08-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Anyone have any receipes for ANZAC cookies??

In Australia this light and crunchy cookie is equal in popularity to our chocolate chip cookie. Traditionally, it was a homemade cookie they baked for soldiers (ANZAC stands for Australian and New Zealand Corps) as well as for children coming home from school. This recipe was given to us by our former assistant pastry chef, Australian Kerry Caloyannidis.

* 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
* 1/2 cup rolled oats
* 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut* (see Note)
* 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 5 tablespoons sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon boiling water
* 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest

Preheat the oven to 350F

In a medium saucepan over medium heat melt two tablespoons of butter and stir in the oats. Cook, stirring often, until the oats are lightly browned. Cut the remaining butter into small pieces and add to the pan. Remove from the heat and stir until the butter is melted.

Spread out the coconut on a baking sheet and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until lightly toasted.

Add the flour, sugar, dissolved baking soda, zest and coconut to the oats and butter. Stir together and let cool to room temperature.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Shape the dough into 1 inch balls ( you should have about 20) and place on the baking sheet. Press down on each ball to flatten. Bake for 15 minutes, until lightly golden. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Store in an airtight tin rather than a cookie jar.

JAYMEZ
08-25-2007, 01:37 PM
^^ Hahah sweet!! I love Anzac cookies

Vagabond142
08-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Another thing is, ANZAC cookies last for freakin months.... and I'm not cooking. They seriously never go stale o_O Scary that...

Being a kiwi by blood, I grew up with an ANZAC cookie in my lunch almost every day for school :D Very tasty :) Of course, now I'm gonna have to go bake some >.<