PDA

View Full Version : Pre-wax cleaner?

HiSpec
08-14-2007, 12:56 AM
I was detailing one of the car in the family. I was able to squeeze in wash, clay, polish and one layer of wax. Not that I didn't want to do few more layers of wax, but just didn't have time left to do so. So my question is, before I proceed to apply another couple layers of wax within the next week or so. Do I have to re-wash, clay the car before applying the wax again? Or just get a pre-wax cleaner??

Thanks

Hemi RT
08-14-2007, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec
I was detailing one of the car in the family. I was able to squeeze in wash, clay, polish and one layer of wax. Not that I didn't want to do few more layers of wax, but just didn't have time left to do so. So my question is, before I proceed to apply another couple layers of wax within the next week or so. Do I have to re-wash, clay the car before applying the wax again? Or just get a pre-wax cleaner??

Thanks

No, just give it a good wash with an automotive soap, not dish soap as it will remove the wax you have already put down. Then if you want give it a quick wipe down with a quik detailer then wax as normal giving it 2 lite coats of a good quality wax, then every once in a while after washing touch it up with a quik detailer.

KKY
08-14-2007, 11:33 AM
wouldn't pre-wax cleaner remove the wax previously applied?

sneek
08-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Yes a prewax cleaner such as Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 1 or Mothers Step 1 would remove the other layers of wax. What kind of wax are you using? A lot of "over the counter" waxes have cleaners in them, so you would be removing the previous coat by applying a new one.

HiSpec
08-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by sneek
Yes a prewax cleaner such as Meguiars Deep Crystal Step 1 or Mothers Step 1 would remove the other layers of wax. What kind of wax are you using? A lot of "over the counter" waxes have cleaners in them, so you would be removing the previous coat by applying a new one.

I am using Klasse AIO an acrylic protection/wax. And planning to do a layer of Meg's Gold Class wax paste (or the blueish Zymol available at CT) then Klasse sealant on top of both.

I was planning to use either Mother's cleaner wax, or Sonus Paint Cleaner.

BTW, is there much difference in result between liquid wax and wax paste?

sneek
08-15-2007, 02:10 AM
Ya, I don't think you want to use a cleaner wax or a paint cleaner before hand. Just give it a really good wash. This is the order.

AIO (you did already) -->Klasse SG--> Meguiar's Gold Class.
Klasse SG is a sealant so you want to do it before your wax. Follow up the sealant with a wax for look and a bit more protection. The Zymol from CT is made by turtle wax. It is a huge rip off considering essentially the same product can be had for 7.99. The blue stuff is Cleaner wax, so it will remove the previous coat.

The difference between a liquid and a paste....oohh I don't want to start a war here. I think it depends on the company. I believe that Turtle Wax claims that pastes have more cleaning ability, where as Meguiar's claims that there is no difference between liquid and paste. From my personal testing I have found that I like NXT paste more than NXT liquid, although there is not supposed to be a difference. I find myself using much less product when I use a good paste.

:P

http://www3.telus.net/cyu/mini-Picture%20001.jpg
vs
http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/forums/photopost/data/500/medium/mini-Glasses.jpg
....yes I own too many waxes, but they are all very good :)

HiSpec
08-15-2007, 08:53 AM
So you recommend I do the Meg's Gold before the SG? Not doubting your recommendation, but why wouldn't I put the SG over the Meg's Gold so it will seal over the wax?

And where did you get the Meg's #16!!!!?!?!?!?!? Those will be used just like Klasse's SG I assume.

KKY
08-15-2007, 11:31 AM
wax doesn't bond with your paint as good as sealant can. So if you put sealant over your wax, the sealant would come off along with the wax. Whereas if you put on sealant first, it would last longer. All you have to do then is to reapply your wax regularly.

M16 is a wax. you would use it like Meguiar's Gold Class Wax. you can get some at eshine (or maybe sneek would sell you one :D ).

BTW, AIO is a cleaner as well. so don't try to use it over your wax unless you plan to start fresh.

HiSpec
08-15-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by KKY
wax doesn't bond with your paint as good as sealant can. So if you put sealant over your wax, the sealant would come off along with the wax. Whereas if you put on sealant first, it would last longer. All you have to do then is to reapply your wax regularly.

M16 is a wax. you would use it like Meguiar's Gold Class Wax. you can get some at eshine (or maybe sneek would sell you one :D ).

BTW, AIO is a cleaner as well. so don't try to use it over your wax unless you plan to start fresh.

Crap, since I already put on a layer of Klasse AIO, i guess the best option now is to apply the SG then Meg's Gold Class.

Is M16 more durable or more glossy then Gold Class?

sneek
08-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Yes, M16 is more durable than gold glass. I really like the look and durability of it...as you can tell. A can of M16 applied properly lasts much longer that gold class. I think there are advantages and disadvantages of both waxes, but it is really a personal preference.

KKY: If you want a can shoot me a PM, I kind of owe you one, considering you delivered my eshine order!

If anyone else wants one shoot me a PM as well, I have more cans than I need. I didn't know it went on so thin! Supposedly I have enough to last me 292 years, so I could part some out for a fellow detailer.

HiSpec
08-15-2007, 11:56 PM
^^ you have PM!!

Since you have such a big collection of products. Just in case you want to add to your collection

Zymol Royale (http://www.vertar.com/zymol/)

sneek
08-16-2007, 12:01 AM
hahahaha, yes but if i got it I would have to sell my car....then I would have nothing to wax. But hey. it has life time refills, buy you pay shipping on that massive crystal container