PDA

View Full Version : Question about Walkie Talkie's

Dooms_Bane
08-14-2007, 01:33 AM
i was looking to purchase a pair of walkie talkies but i have no idea on which pairs are good or best bang for the buck.
basically will be transmitting between 2 cars usually traveling

or on a construction site.

any help on picking out good walkie talkies or what to look for like functions and what not or brands.

Thanks in advance!

Supa Dexta
08-14-2007, 01:41 AM
cobra, motorola,etc.. anything with a half decent brand name.. find ones you like the looks of/size of.. I think there usually good for 10-20km depending on what you spend.. mine are 13km.. It's also good to go buy good rechargeable batteries though, the shitty ones mine came with were never that great...

Dooms_Bane
08-14-2007, 01:42 AM
ah awesome. do you mind if i ask for a picture of yours?
and hows the reception wise? do like hills and what not make a real big difference?

JAYMEZ
08-14-2007, 02:27 AM
At all the nightclubs I've worked at we have used Motorolas. Awesome reception , and I have driven a few blocks away from work and I could still talk to people. :thumbsup: .,.. Kinda pricey though!

iblizzard
08-14-2007, 03:02 AM
Another vote for Motorolas.
I spent a little much to get a pair for myself, but they are well worth the money.
Can't find the info on the motorola site, but here's a link to the pair I have:
http://www.motorola2wayradios.com/sx-700-radio.html
Never had a problem with them, and they have great range. Very clear even with hills and obstacles in the way. From my house (in the suburbs, dense housing) I got approximately 1km distance still with very clear reception.

JordanAndrew
08-14-2007, 03:07 AM
I don't mean to hack this thread but where is a good place to buy some really nice walky talkies? I want the real ones, not those small ones, heck even the small motorolla ones suck on long drives through BC.

We went on a roadtrip and we got a lot of static and weren't hearing everyone within 1km range on the small motorolla ones.

This is why I am looking to purchase those bigger size walky talkies as I would assume those work better than their JR counter parts. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Supa Dexta
08-14-2007, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Dooms_Bane
ah awesome. do you mind if i ask for a picture of yours?
and hows the reception wise? do like hills and what not make a real big difference?

I don't know the model number off hand.. And I won't be home for a while.. they've been good, used them all over the hills at lake Louise

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=2+way+radio+reviews&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Maddog55
08-14-2007, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
I don't mean to hack this thread but where is a good place to buy some really nice walky talkies? I want the real ones, not those small ones, heck even the small motorolla ones suck on long drives through BC.

We went on a roadtrip and we got a lot of static and weren't hearing everyone within 1km range on the small motorolla ones.

This is why I am looking to purchase those bigger size walky talkies as I would assume those work better than their JR counter parts. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Were you using the older FRS radios? (roughly a year or two ago) Because the newer FRS/GMRS have a way longer range. (up to 25 km under ideal conditions) They also run on Nimh batteries instead of the older Nicad batteries.

I have a pair of motorola FRS/GMRS that are rated at 25 km range. We travelled to Salmon arm with two cars and could easily talk to each other even 3 or 4 km's apart, around the mountains. They're rechargeable and will last around two days on one charge. I think I paid about $100 at Home Depot. The price varies according to the range.

The "real" radios (ie: Motorola MTX950 portable two-way radio) you're talking about are a couple-hundred bucks a piece.

teggypimp95
08-14-2007, 08:24 AM
My gf just bought some for the same reason, they worked great between cars. We bought the cobra ones. They go 17 miles in an open area. They have vibrate, and all kinds of good stuff. think she paid like 45 bucks.

Dooms_Bane
08-15-2007, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
I don't mean to hack this thread

oh by all means your not hi jacking the thread! if anything your helping find me find one hahaha.

Wow cool guys! i guess i will stop by home depot and future shop and check out a few pairs.
seems it's just the 2 main brands cobra/Motorola.

is there a specialty place like a mountain climbing place that may sell better walkie talkies? or will future shop/Best buy do? or do you guys think they will be selling like just the good old common ones that will need to be replaced in a few years.

kamatayan
08-15-2007, 01:14 AM
I have this... .. .

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s79/Kingkalag/Image000-1.jpg

CanadianBoy69
08-15-2007, 11:11 AM
The Source By Circuit City has some pretty nice motorola ones

http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Motorola_Radios&product=2111888

these are pretty much the best ones they have

eb0i
08-15-2007, 11:58 AM
I bought a set of walk talkies from Futureshop in 2002 because I traveled a lot and it was a good way to keep in contact without using cell phones. I bought the Motorola Talkabout T5725. It was pretty pricey back then at around $130 for the pair. It came with charger and rechargeable batteries. I used them for other things beside traveling such as snowboarding, Stampede, camping and road trips to communicate between cars (works great for passing on single lane highways with a lot of twists in the road). They are actually still going strong after being banged around for 5 years. The only thing is that the batteries don't hold their charge for as long as they used to.

I have seen newer ones at Walmart for around $50 for the same capabilities as mine. However I think I am going to upgrade to ones that are about $80-90 that have 2-3 times the range and more channels.

Motorolla FTW! :thumbsup: