PDA

View Full Version : Precision Drilling

Pages : [1] 2

chathamf
08-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Has anyone ever worked for Precision before? I am looking at going to work with them as a floorhand or a leasehand and am wondering a few things.

How long do you work for, then how long do you have downtime? Do they arrange for you to travel to the rig? Do they feed you and give you lodging or just give you money for food and a hotel?

Graham_A_M
08-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Everything is paid for, you just have to show up. And that includes accomidations and transportation from the camp/hotel to the rigsite.

But goodluck getting on with them, the oil patch is still dead slow, in fact most people say its the slowest now as its been in the last decade. There are HOARDS of very experienced rig personelle that are doing other jobs just to make ends meet until things pick up again... and they'll be the first to be called back (experience and work history) long before they hire a new guy right out of the gate.

But on the brighter side of things: their the biggest and best rig company to work for, with Nabors drilling being second.

The typical shift rotation is 21 on, 7 off, or some have 14 on, 14 off. I'm pretty sure Precision is 14 on, 7 off.
Expect 12 hour days, as there is a 7-1900 shift, and a 1900-0700 shift, which rotates.
The work is beyond shitty, you have no idea until you've been on a rig for a while... they pay lots, because if they dont nobody would do such brutally intense work at such work conditions. Enjoy a 12 hour shift outside on an elevated platform when the temp drops below -33 with strong winds. :thumbsup:
all the while being way up north, sometimes hours away from the nearest town.

jay42w8
08-16-2007, 12:53 PM
just out of curiousity...how much DOES it pay?

adamc
08-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Drilling Rig Crews

Driller $37.25
Assistant Driller $32.00
Derrickhand $31.00
Motorhand $26.50
Floorhand $24.50
Leasehand $21.00

+ $50 per day if you are staying in camp, or $140 a day if you are staying in town (you are responsible for your own food/hotel in that case, which the $140 will cover easily)

I've been with PD for a long time, and I'm having a hard time getting steady work right now, so I wouldn't get your hopes up about getting out right away..

jay42w8
08-17-2007, 12:00 AM
that's it???...are those starting rates????... I was just wondering cuz everyone's talking about how much money they make up there and what not...people are forgoing a proper post secondary education (be it in the trades or something else like Accounting) just to work their asses off (and risk life and limb) for that amount of money? :dunno:

Schwa
08-17-2007, 12:20 AM
You're forgetting the OT ^

It comes out to a lot if you bring your own trailer too and save your daily allowance.

Perfect Dark
08-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Take home for some of these guys is very substantial, the OT is definitely what does it.

Plus, if you stick it out and make it to Toolpush then you are in the serious money.....approx $1200/day.

adamc
08-17-2007, 11:34 AM
working 2 weeks on, and 1 week off, a roughneck will pull 6000-6500 a month net.

jay42w8
08-18-2007, 09:50 AM
yea but how many of you oil rig guys been sitting around now for months on end?...its not exactly stable work...but I yeah, I'm all for going up there to make the shitloads of money while you can....but I'm just saying, its not a good long term plan

adamc
08-18-2007, 11:11 AM
better shelf that attitude before you start packing your bags for the rig, won't last long like that

Graham_A_M
08-19-2007, 12:07 PM
^ yeah I've met guys that have taken home $8k/every three weeks worked as derrickhands.

And its not "life and limb" There are plenty more dangerous jobs then working on the rigs... but I'll agree to say that it definately is dangerous.

Its quite the lifestyle choice though:dunno:

adamc
08-28-2007, 10:45 AM
http://www.precisiondrilling.com/files/PD%20Booklet%20for%20Web.pdf

precision drilling redesigned their website, and now have a complete guide to working on the rigs (if that link doesn't work, navigate to it in their career section)

teggypimp95
08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
I worked for them for a while through a temp agency. I hated it there. All there computers,phones and everything was so out dated. Such a lame group of people, they all had sticks up their bums and lots of small stuff made it very unpleasent to work there. Thats just my opinion for experience. I was in the billing department. I am now at a bigger oil company and been in a few departments and what a huge difference.

The Cosworth
08-28-2007, 10:57 AM
I worked up on site for 6 weeks with Schlumberger, I was on Nabors 49 and 67 in the Panther Valley.

I can tell you that, I PERSONALLY, cannot do that job.

I went up to the doghouse to watch them trip from 4000m and they were using the Iron Roughneck and the work was still intense. I couldn't imagine the old days were it was nothing but tongs.

I was on a triple crown and triple crown AC rig and my understanding of it, the smaller the rig the harder and faster the work is.

IMO get the schooling, I am contemplating going back and getting either my Engineering Degree or Economics Degree (right now I am an electrical engineering technologist) and from what I have seen in both field and office work, nothing beats school.

Also you I spent a lot of time watching TV and on the internet as we were in the shacks on the site.

Masked Bandit
08-30-2007, 01:34 PM
So when you guys say that the work is shitty / hard, what exactly are we talking about here?

teggypimp95
08-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Most guys on the rigs get about 3 hours a night of sleep and the rest work.

Supa Dexta
08-30-2007, 02:53 PM
lotta pansies in here.. And a couple that actually know whats going on..

The shitty part of things is it is hard ass work, 12 hrs of full out balls to the wall work... most of the time.. and when its slow they get you washing and cleaning, if they are waiting to get something fixed, or waiting on a service company for something. Some rigs yell a lot, its dirty as hell, wet and cold a lot of the time.. But it is 12hrs, after that you go back to camp or your motel and forget about the rig all together. Some crews party a lot, others chill out and play video games/work out in the gyms on location/ whatevers available to them, some bring there quads and bikes out, boats if theres a lake and go fishing..etc.. And it all depends where you are working as to how fast you will be drilling, project pad work in the oil sands will be very repetitive, doing a well every day or 2 (or3), or if your out towards the mountains or whatever you can drill for months on the same hole.. You don't have to be a big rugged guy to do the work, but you do have to be able to work your ass off, and most of time its the lean mean mutha fuggas that get shit done and done fast.. But there are a lot of big, dumb roughnecks out there.. I imagine being on a crew that fits you would be the biggest thing, to enjoying yourself.. Put up with the yelling at first and shit tasks, and you'll get their respect and in a month or so it'll be your turn to give someone new shit...

You also know you only have to be there for 2 and 1's or whatever their sched is, where as a guy like myself could be out for a month or more at a time, with a service company, and not have the luxury of 12hr days..

broken_legs
08-30-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
I worked up on site for 6 weeks with Schlumberger, I was on Nabors 49 and 67 in the Panther Valley.

I can tell you that, I PERSONALLY, cannot do that job.

I went up to the doghouse to watch them trip from 4000m and they were using the Iron Roughneck and the work was still intense. I couldn't imagine the old days were it was nothing but tongs.

I was on a triple crown and triple crown AC rig and my understanding of it, the smaller the rig the harder and faster the work is.

IMO get the schooling, I am contemplating going back and getting either my Engineering Degree or Economics Degree (right now I am an electrical engineering technologist) and from what I have seen in both field and office work, nothing beats school.

Also you I spent a lot of time watching TV and on the internet as we were in the shacks on the site.

sILLY mwd

Apparently you couldn't handle sitting in a shack and watching TV either from the sounds of it. :rofl:

The work is definitely faster on a smaller rig and from what I've witnessed personally its a lot LESS safe on a single as opposed to a double or triple. Not to mention that you're doing rig moves all the time on smaller rigs and the leases will be much muddier and shittier to work on.

teggypimp95
Most guys on the rigs get about 3 hours a night of sleep and the rest work.

Maybe if you're getting wasted every night... I haven't met a rig crew yet that doesn't get in some good nappy time when they're drilling.

Masked Bandit
So when you guys say that the work is shitty / hard, what exactly are we talking about here?

Shitty work would mean getting wet and dirty, covered in invert, standing in 2 feet of water in the cellar working on the stack, heavy lifting, running your ass off, eating shitty camp food, working 12 hour tours days/nights, in all weather conditions.
^^ All of that being multiplied on a smaller rig

teggypimp95
08-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Maybe if you're getting wasted every night... I haven't met a rig crew yet that doesn't get in some good nappy time when they're drilling.

[/B]

I work for an oil company and i have talked to a few dereks from the rigs, and they were telling me how they have been out there a few months at a time with only 3-5 hours sleep most nights. The come home completly bagged and pretty much sleep through there whole break. Im sure every company, rig and rig size is differnt. Im just talking about the few guys iv spoke too.

Supa Dexta
08-30-2007, 02:59 PM
aren't you mwd too broken?

^ as for this 3 hrs a night bull shit, their just trying to sound cool or sumtin.. I've been with dozens of crews and can't say I ever see that day in and day out..

broken_legs
08-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
aren't you mwd too broken?

^ as for this 3 hrs a night bull shit, their just trying to sound cool or sumtin.. I've been with dozens of crews and can't say I ever see that day in and day out..

Yes I am an MWD. But I can handle sitting in a shack watching TV... LOL Gives me time to post on Beyond...!

Supa Dexta
08-31-2007, 08:40 AM
ha yeah I hear ya! I'm on vacation, back out next week.. rig counts are down again, should give us a breather, we were full out there for the summer with tons of ppl being off.. I was on nights all summer, so I slept thru it... :bullshit:

Euro_Trash
08-31-2007, 08:48 AM
I wouldn't expect this winter to pick up all that much either

Supa Dexta
08-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Ah, I dunno... We've been hearing it's gonna be crazy for us.. we'll see.. .

Audio_Rookie
08-31-2007, 01:20 PM
I see every oil place is hiring. I expect it to pick up. More and more ads requesting oilfield personal.

Crymson
08-31-2007, 01:36 PM
There have been 10,000 job cuts in the oil and gas service industry since January. May be hard to find work right now.

BlackArcher101
08-31-2007, 07:44 PM
A lot of work down south in the States right now. If you don't have a criminal record and have some knowledge it would be pretty easy to get on with someone.

Chris88CL
08-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Aside from vacation days that I booked off for houseboating I've only had 2 days off in August and doesnt look like any more days off until September 20th when we have more vacation booked.

This however is oilfield surveying, so not on the rig. My work is usually a pre-cursor to the rigs though. So if Im busy now, you guys likely will be in a few months. Afterall you cant drill a well or put in a pipeline unless it has been surveyed.

I'd expect it to pick up pretty quick here. Especially up north where winter drilling and ice roads are common practice.

Supa Dexta
09-01-2007, 08:42 AM
yeah like I said, We've been hearing its going to be as busy as ever this winter... :dunno: We'll see...

seadog
09-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Black Archer,

Out of curiosity how is it easy to get on with a company in the states? I looked into it and it was just more and more BS about visas then any company wants to deal with, not to mention like 3 month application time. Am I missing something? I applied to a few companies, (oil and otherwise) they called me up assuming I had dual citizenship, then as soon as I said I didn't despite the fact they were in love with me they said good bye. Either that or they simply redirected my application to their Canadian counterparts.

Cheers

broken_legs
09-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by seadog
Black Archer,

Out of curiosity how is it easy to get on with a company in the states? I looked into it and it was just more and more BS about visas then any company wants to deal with, not to mention like 3 month application time. Am I missing something? I applied to a few companies, (oil and otherwise) they called me up assuming I had dual citizenship, then as soon as I said I didn't despite the fact they were in love with me they said good bye. Either that or they simply redirected my application to their Canadian counterparts.

Cheers

You need a company to sponsor you then a lawyers office to write up the visa documents. I've had it done twice and it takes about a week not three months. The way i understand it is if no one is giving you a job first you wont be getting a visa.

www.rigzone.com if you want to see some jobs in the US go to the career thing and take a peek; Some of those companies may actually want to bring you over. US land is hurting for people bad, they never had a slow down like we did in Canada.

seadog
09-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Do you recall the type of visa or the details? The only ones I thought were available were:

TN1 - apply at border(so perhaps a week if you involed a lawyer but not required), but is only applicable for temporary employment up to a year, but renewable indefinately.

HB1 - Long application time, good for 3 years, subject to a quota of 65k, and by April 2 after the April 1 opening they closed it having received 150k applications for work starting Fall of 07

L1 - you have to already be employed with a company for a year, then transfer to their US counterpart.

What were the deailts of your job? Were they intercompany transfer or did you just find ads online and apply? Were they also for MWD stuff? What companies?

I applied to Halliburton who referred me to Calgary, then 2 headhunters in LA found my resume and interviewed me, said they had tentitive offers based on my visa situation, I told them of the TN1 scheme, never heard back. You are right that you need a job first, but it seems so many companies are unwilling to deal with the associated work.

BlackArcher101
09-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Black Archer,

Cheers

It's quite easy. You can do it two ways. You can do it via broken_legs method and get a company to sponsor you down there, or you can get a job with a company in Canada who sends crews down there.

Graham_A_M
09-09-2007, 04:41 PM
^ Thats crazy, I didn't know it was that easy to get your paper work. But the min. amount of time that needs to be spent down in the states has to be three months right? so by having the work Visa expire before then, they bypass any inclination of declaring US citizen ship while on a work spree... is that about right? The US housing market is in a huge slump right now, so its worth checking into.

seadog
09-09-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm going to through a little info out there with a bit more detail since I've looked at this for some time after wanting to get out of the cold for a bit on a working holiday.
I would actually term it anything but "quite easy" based on my experience and what I've heard from others.

If you're a professional in theory you can just apply at the border with job offer in hand and it has to outline certain things. Of those being the technical nature of the job and that its temporary for one year. Takes 30 mins to process at the border, maybe a week if you want to involve a lawyer, which might not be a bad idea, rejection at the border is around 40% on account of offer wording usually. From what I've experienced the 'temporary' wording, plus the ideas of visas in general scare most companies. But this is the TN1 visa and most Canadian's best shot. Getting the offer in the first place is tricky. Is for Canadians only though. Only costs $55. Renewable inedefinately, though not commonly used for route of green card (stay in country forever and work for any employer) or citizenship.

Other wise is whats called an HB1 visa. You need a degree, but not as strict as TN1 as to who can apply. Takes about a month at best and I've heard usually closer to 3 to process, several thousand in legal costs, its good for 3 years, you can renew once. The down side is you're competing against Mexicans and Indians and everyone else in the world, you aren't special as a Canadian. They have a quota of 65k, this year they received 2.5 times that number on the first day. So in addition to the above hassles, you need to have your application arrive on April 1 2008, be lucky enough to get selected, have a preexisting offer, to start work fall of 08. If you're looking for greencard or citizenship, this is your best bet.

Finally is the L1 visa, another good bet but you need to already be employed with a company for a min of 1 year that operates in both Canada and the US. Otherwise not too difficult, Not sure the costs but likely the company will cover it. Good for 3 years, you can renew it twice at 2 years each for a total of 7.

If you'd like to just go down and find your own job you need a green card which you need most commonly to do via the HB1 method and it takes well over a year and many thousands of dollars, citizenship you're looking at about 7 years total. Or you could just marry someone. That takes the time down to essentially waiting on paperwork and is about 6 months.

All visas are only good for the employer that sponsors you.

This is just what I've found. I was really surprised how hard it was and the stigma there was from companies about being a foreigner. I really thought being right next door to the US they would have an attitude closer to Europe (any countries nationals can work for any other country in the EU no problem) but they don't. The number of HB1 visas has been slashed in the past few years, and the republican gov't doesn't generally take a welcoming view of outsiders. Bush tried to introduce more liberal immigration reform earlier this year, and it was one of the few bills that saw support at less than 50% inside his own party and it died. If anyone has any more comprehensive info I personally would like it because I'd still like to get away from the cold winters.

broken_legs
09-14-2007, 02:38 AM
FYI:

Panterra Drilling had an ad in the SUN looking for rig hands

FYI:

Last Panterra rig I knew about fucked up their hole and burned down their camp

LOL

Audio_Rookie
09-14-2007, 02:56 AM
buddy at work (weatherford ampscott) starts at precision monday. No h2s class even....no certificates.

broken_legs
09-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Big story in the Financial Post was that alberta will have a hard time filling oilfield jobs because so many people have been laid off and gone on to other things

It goes on to say that the guy who runs Ensign expects there will be a utilization of around 600 of the 800 or so rigs in AB this winter due to lower prices, but the only challenge will be staffing them.

They are expecting a labour shortage again...

But don't fret, the best cure for low gas prices is low gas prices :thumbsup:

adamc
09-15-2007, 12:43 PM
do you have a link to that story?

myself and everyone I know that works out in the field are sitting right now, waiting for it to get cold.

Supa Dexta
09-15-2007, 06:07 PM
We've been busy as hell the last few months.... mwd..

:dunno:

adamc
09-15-2007, 07:15 PM
who you with dexta?

Mike w
09-15-2007, 07:40 PM
dude just dont get with a service rig, drilling rigs are the way to go. and a big company like precision is definatly a good one to work for. bring the right clothes for the right conditions, and dont be affraid to get ur hands dirty. its just a learning experience. alota my friends work the rigs, some on drilling some on service, i have a buddy that actualy just transfered to texas to work, and hes doin a 1month on week and a half off i believe and he loves his job. just give it a shot, its not like u have to stay up there for the rest of your life. dont listen to the pussys in here, go get er done

Supa Dexta
09-15-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by adamc
who you with dexta?

sperry

broken_legs
09-15-2007, 10:42 PM
We've been busy as hell the last few months.... mwd..

Dont you guys do Sag D which should obviously be going insane with the price of oil these days... The slowdown is due to Natural Gas prices imo

EDIT:
I just talked to a guy from high schoool whos drilling for Precision in the states now in CO i think. They are short guys there big time.

Also check that rigzone site, lots of jobs there for derrick hands and drillers international

adamc
09-16-2007, 01:00 AM
Might have to get my first line

Supa Dexta
09-16-2007, 12:02 PM

Don't you guys do Sag D which should obviously be going insane with the price of oil these days... The slowdown is due to Natural Gas prices imol

Yes, we do, and I myself mostly stick to sagd or huff and puff types of jobs.. But for the number of guys we have, not a whole lot are involved on that end, or the "high end tools" that go along with it.. So there must be work elsewhere.. Unfortunately with this type of work, you never get to see the other guys much, or hear whats going on outside your own little area... I'm actually on a job out swan hills area for a change, and its brutal! 5m/hr or so, where as I get used to 200-500 in the sands, lot's of beyond time on my hands...ha But yes, there is no doubt the slowdown is due to gas, just look at fort nelson.. This whole bit about, having to get service company prices in check of , I believe is a pawn... With oil at record prices, gas companies should take their lumps and get in line again to make huge profit, they can't break records every yr

broken_legs
09-16-2007, 06:32 PM

Yes, we do, and I myself mostly stick to sagd or huff and puff types of jobs.. But for the number of guys we have, not a whole lot are involved on that end, or the "high end tools" that go along with it.. So there must be work elsewhere.. Unfortunately with this type of work, you never get to see the other guys much, or hear whats going on outside your own little area... I'm actually on a job out swan hills area for a change, and its brutal! 5m/hr or so, where as I get used to 200-500 in the sands, lot's of beyond time on my hands...ha But yes, there is no doubt the slowdown is due to gas, just look at fort nelson.. This whole bit about, having to get service company prices in check of , I believe is a pawn... With oil at record prices, gas companies should take their lumps and get in line again to make huge profit, they can't break records every yr

That was my point about about you guys doing sag D. Sag D is drilling for OIL.

The price of Natural Gas (which by far the most drilling in our little basin is directly related to) is in the crapper so some industry is booming while everything Natural Gas related is sucking the suck.

SLB does almost exclusively nat gas in D&M... We are sucking the suck right now.

Supa Dexta
09-16-2007, 09:28 PM

That was my point about about you guys doing sag D. Sag D is drilling for OIL.

Whats the mean? I was agreeing with you... Oil eh', who would have thought, I thought they were after sand...ha... no worries though man, hope things pick up for you... Theres big rumors afloat which could potentially cause a lot of guys to jump ship with us.. we'll see...

chathamf
10-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Any updates on how busy the patch is lately?

Have any of you guys gotten called to go back with Precision? Hoping to get on with someone soon myself, just wondering if it's worth my while to try to get on.

cosmok
10-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
Any updates on how busy the patch is lately?

http://www.nickles.com/rig/?WT.svl=Rig_Side

Graham_A_M
10-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Mike w
dont listen to the pussys in here, go get er done

I'm guessing that was probably directed at me since I know Supa Dexta's was.

Its funny that you guys are jumping to those conclusions. I used to do wireline for Schlumberger, I've spent more then a few hours working on and around the rigs too. I know what to expect, and not for a second is the work too hard for me, its not... honestly.

But it is for the majority of these kids fresh out of highschool that have posted rig-related questions in threads much like these, they think that the work is moderately easy, and they just throw wads of $100 bills at you everyday your there. And thats not the case. My old co-worker of ages gone past re-defied slacker, he was fired for slacking at a golf-course of all things, he like many people "wanted to go work on the rigs" and I just laughed under my breath.
Its hard work without a doubt, and most people just dont have what it takes, they just dont day in and out.

The purpose of saying what I said in the earlier portion of this thread was to scare away lots of these kids that are just going to blow lots of time and money getting their tickets and trying out this "rig thing" only to find out that its not easy work, and later quit after a week or get fired for whatever reason.

Some people love it, some dont, some fucking hate it.
All I was trying to do is to not paint a rosy picture of how "nice" it is, and to let people make a better informed decision of its pluses and negatives.
If they know the bad aspects of what can happen, they wont be so blind sided when the find out they have to work the 12hour night shift when the thermometer drops below -30.
I met a guy from Slave lake that worked in -52 once. He's lost everysingle one of his fingernails over the 7 years he did it.....
Just so long as people know what to expect, I think they'd be better prepaired. Thats all :dunno:

adamc
10-09-2007, 06:20 PM
My first year I worked in -54.5 (not factoring in the light breeze), this was northwest of grande prairie.

It sucked, but I'd rather do that with full winter coveralls on than having to work in -5 with soaking wet coveralls, not being able to go change because the work has to get done or your driller is a stunned cunt and won't let you go.

Supa Dexta
10-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

I'm guessing that was probably directed at me since I know Supa Dexta's was.o:

mine was what? I wasn't saying anything bad about your posts... I meant the guy's whining about how hard it was and no sleep...

Graham_A_M
10-11-2007, 05:00 PM
lotta pansies in here..

I was assuming that was directed at me as well since I know I was sounded like a whiney little bitch in my posts.....but I guess I assumed wrong.

Sorry Dustin, my bad:banghead:

chathamf
11-30-2007, 08:28 AM
I got a call from Precision yesterday to get in for an interview for a leasehand. Just wondering if anyone else has been called in to get back to work with them recently and how busy things are.

Supa Dexta
11-30-2007, 11:37 AM
things aren't busy, but that will change right away since it's been cold as hell all week..

Graham_A_M
12-01-2007, 03:55 PM
^I was called as well, but the industry seems extremely volatile with the royalty deal going down, otherwise I'd hop on it.
its annoying. Ever since I was layed off at SLB, I wanted to work the rigs the make some coin, but now its pretty crazy with whats happening in the industry.
which is annoying as fuck:banghead:

chathamf
12-01-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm going in for a drug test/physical next week, followed by a 2.5 day orientation. Anyone do the physical before?

Graham_A_M
12-01-2007, 09:37 PM
^ yes, for multiple companies. they'll be checking for your level of flexibility, your range of movement, your core strength, etc, oh and probably your eye sight and amount of periphrial vision.
its nothing too much.:thumbsup:

dub_c
12-03-2007, 04:53 PM
PD in South Sask is full force rocking right now boys. YEEE HAW. Needing derrickhands like a mother fucker though. :nut: :nut:

nobody wants to work i guess :drama:

Crymson
12-04-2007, 05:53 PM
What rig no's you guys work on?

Graham_A_M
12-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by dub_c
PD in South Sask is full force rocking right now boys. YEEE HAW. Needing derrickhands like a mother fucker though. :nut: :nut:

nobody wants to work i guess :drama:
I'm guessing near Estevan? My dad has a farm 1hr south of Swift Current

dub_c
12-04-2007, 08:15 PM

I'm guessing near Estevan? My dad has a farm 1hr south of Swift Current

You bet.

Originally posted by Crymson
What rig no's you guys work on?

722, the rig of nignog madness.

:nut: :nut: :nut: :nut:

dub_c
12-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Has anyone heard of anything in Northern Sask ????? Estevan is making me nutty :nut: :nut:

adamc
12-04-2007, 08:33 PM
what size rig you working on bro?

I'm tempted to come out.

dub_c
12-04-2007, 11:01 PM
what size rig you working on bro?

I'm tempted to come out.

Double trouble :rofl: Probably the best crew I've worked with. Drug free, and like to have a good time, no bull shit or anything. Every Friday the push takes us for steaks :love:

dub_c
12-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Honestly Adam, it's stupid busy. Birds keep chirping we're busier than AB right now, which is kind of crazy :confused:

Graham_A_M
12-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by dub_c

Double trouble :rofl: Probably the best crew I've worked with. Drug free, and like to have a good time, no bull shit or anything. Every Friday the push takes us for steaks :love:
if their looking for leasehands/roughnecks, let me know. :thumbsup:

dub_c
12-05-2007, 12:43 AM

if their looking for leasehands/roughnecks, let me know. :thumbsup:

shoot me a resume.

Graham_A_M
12-05-2007, 12:05 PM
^ I'll send it to you via email

colinderksen
12-05-2007, 03:15 PM
All guys going down to the States for PD right now have to have had 10 months in a row working with only their scheduled time off.
You'd think that the list to go down to the US would have gotten bigger with guys wanting to work, but it really hasn't. No one wants to work 28 on and 14 off I guess.
And as with everything else, it's who you know that gets you down there. Not nessessarily what you know.

Graham_A_M
12-05-2007, 03:20 PM
yeah no kidding. Actually if you visit www.rigzone.com , thats a fantastic resource for over seas & US based jobs.
I had an offer through Rigzone to go do wireline work in Kzakastan (or however its spelt, the place Borat is from).... I just politely turned it down. I'll bet it would be a eye opening experience, but... I'll pass :)

cosmok
12-06-2007, 04:05 PM
Lots of coring outfits are gearing up and need guys.

Rockski
12-06-2007, 04:25 PM
anybody on the rigs know if theres one in particular that needs a welder with a rig?

chathamf
12-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Anyone work on a Slant rig before and know anything about it
? I'm being sent to a Slant in Southern Sask, just wondering what I should exspect.

adamc
12-13-2007, 12:29 PM
ahahahahahahaha *breathe* ahahaha ha ha

good luck

chathamf
12-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Actually got moved to a double now.

dub_c
12-13-2007, 03:55 PM
ahahahahahahaha *breathe* ahahaha ha ha

good luck

find any work adam ?

adamc
12-13-2007, 06:45 PM
hey dub, naw, been working in town lately.

might go fill in for a friend so he can have xmas and new years off, but after that I start a sales job in early january.

so long invert soaked covies!

pretty happy about it, it was definitely a good experience that I think all young guys should try, but I'm glad to be moving on.

also for all you wannabe riggers in this thread, please god, SAVE YOUR MONEY. Took me a few years to learn that, it's my only regret.

adamc
12-13-2007, 10:32 PM
Ok, somebody sent me a PM asking what I meant by "Save your money" so here's the advice that I would suggest that anyone thinking about working on the rigs take into consideration.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, you end up making a fucking shitload of money if you're non-camp with invert pay ($165 extra per day).

I don't know, I went in with the idea of paying off my student loans. And 5 years later I didn't _completely_ do that.

You get used to these massive cheques (clearing like 6500 a month), and you want to spend spend spend.

Most guys go buy a new truck, that is one of the biggest mistakes you can make, rig work is not always available, and you don't want to end up with a $800 a month payment that you can't make.

For everyone going in to it that thinks they'll be able to control their spending, make sure you keep that in mind at all times. Set a goal, set a timeframe for yourself leaving that type of work (unless you really like it, some guys do).

And work toward that goal.

I started the rigs at the exact same time with my best friend, we we coming home on the same days, and for a while thought nothing of dropping 1k in a night at the bar.

Coming back to a city from living in the bush for 2 weeks, it feels like christmas, anything you want you can pretty much afford, and you know that you'll be heading back out in a week, so you try to get as much "living" done as possible.

Save the $ for a down payment, pay off some debts, spend some on trips and enjoy it - because you work very hard for it, but just be smart about it :)

accord885
12-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Save Save Save... put 30-50% away for the spring/summer your going to need it!!

My line of work (Wireline) Is starting to pick up quite a bit lately around Cold Lake Bonneyville etc.

Heading to Ft. Mac to follow a couple Rigs around for the winter... Gotta love Day Rates!!

Here's hoping for a REALLLY cold winter in the US to drive up NG prices!! Then I can go back to working around Med Hat. this summer.

Supa Dexta
12-14-2007, 11:27 PM
I've put on close to 4500kms this week, running around to different rigs, it is NUTS right now for us, and it all came at once....:nut:

dub_c
12-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Well my days with PD are on a short #, as in 1 week lol. Took a job in Fort Mac running machines.

The Cosworth
12-15-2007, 03:55 PM
I am glad to hear things are picking back up.

AdamC, really really good post and good luck on the new job!

seadog
12-15-2007, 10:15 PM
What sort of time do you get off in the summer as wireline? In my interview I was told they up the 2/1 rotation to 3/1 in the winter when it's busy, and *try* to even it out come summer, but didn't specify.

Hi-Psi
12-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Ok, somebody sent me a PM asking what I meant by "Save your money" so here's the advice that I would suggest that anyone thinking about working on the rigs take into consideration.

well, you end up making a fucking shitload of money if you're non-camp with invert pay ($165 extra per day).

I don't know, I went in with the idea of paying off my student loans. And 5 years later I didn't _completely_ do that.

You get used to these massive cheques (clearing like 6500 a month), and you want to spend spend spend.

Most guys go buy a new truck, that is one of the biggest mistakes you can make, rig work is not always available, and you don't want to end up with a $800 a month payment that you can't make.

For everyone going in to it that thinks they'll be able to control their spending, make sure you keep that in mind at all times. Set a goal, set a timeframe for yourself leaving that type of work (unless you really like it, some guys do).

I started the rigs at the exact same time with my best friend, we we coming home on the same days, and for a while thought nothing of dropping 1k in a night at the bar.

Coming back to a city from living in the bush for 2 weeks, it feels like christmas, anything you want you can pretty much afford, and you know that you'll be heading back out in a week, so you try to get as much "living" done as possible.

Save the $ for a down payment, pay off some debts, spend some on trips and enjoy it - because you work very hard for it, but just be smart about it :)

He speaks the truth!

That is the biggest mistake most riggers make, I made the same mistake at one point when I first started as a medic up north. Now that I'm back up north, I've learned to save my cheques and am puting the money towards a house and travelling.

PS: Get your EMT and go work up north, WAAAAAAY better then working on the actual rig!

Jay

urban.one
12-15-2007, 11:05 PM
What do guys with a couple of years experience end up making in a year? Forget the take home pay in your best months, what do you earn in gross pay in a year?

Do rig workers collect EI in the offseason? Or do most work in other sectors?

accord885
12-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Summer for wireline is 2/1 most of your time is in the shop working on your truck and shit. Making sure things are ready to go.

Most shop days your done by 2pm.

Hi-Psi
12-17-2007, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by urban.one
What do guys with a couple of years experience end up making in a year? Forget the take home pay in your best months, what do you earn in gross pay in a year?

Do rig workers collect EI in the offseason? Or do most work in other sectors?

I'm not technically a rigger so I don't know about people like adamc but as a medic on the rigs it really depends on how busy you want to be, how long you stay out for, where you stay.

Working mainly out of Alberta, staying for an average of 20 days/month on site most EMT's wll make around $80k a year

Like I said, it all depends cus you can stay out for 40 days at a time, sometimes longer and if you're farther north a lot of the time you get more money. Some companies also pay more, some pay less.

Right now we are steady and I'm making around $3000/week. We stay fairly steady year round just due to the fact that we cover such a wide range of sites, that way we can work year round.

Jay

Graham_A_M
12-17-2007, 12:10 PM
What sort of time do you get off in the summer as wireline? In my interview I was told they up the 2/1 rotation to 3/1 in the winter when it's busy, and *try* to even it out come summer, but didn't specify.

Thats how it is. When it slows down late in the summer as fall approaches, it gets so slow that usually they'll do 1/1 meaning 10 days on 10 days off, just to keep people from quitting, but its so slow there is very little to go around. :dunno:

RXsevenmonk
01-15-2008, 05:34 PM

kmackck
10-02-2008, 04:11 PM
I am scheduled for the Piss test physical and then Training Orientation Next week with PD Anybody know what happens after that? IE wait times and what not? THanks!!

chathamf
10-02-2008, 04:29 PM
I did all of that stuff with PD last year. Soon as I was done the orientation they were trying to send me off to work that night. I had to come home to Calgary and buy some shit so I put them off a few days and I was working soon as I was ready.

And by the way, the physical is pretty shitty, be prepared.

kmackck
10-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Really what does the physical consist of? How long you been working for them now? I will need to put them off for few days too!

chathamf
10-02-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't work for them anymore. I quit 3-4 months after I started.

Umm..I think they start you off with carrying a box with a 25lb weight in it. You do a series of picking it up off a table, putting it on the floor, putting it back. Then also walking a distance with it, putting it down, walking back to where you started, etc. Then they put it up to 50, then 75 and you repeat the steps.

You are timed and must finish under the set time limits. You then get an 88lb sac, and do the same sort of things with it you do with the weights.

Then at the end they make you stand bent over at like a 90 degree angle. You have to hold the position for five minutes, if you straighten your back at all they'll fail you. It's actually pretty hard and gets pretty painful at the end.

kmackck
10-02-2008, 07:51 PM
holy shit ehhh!! So why did you quit with Pd anway man? I have heard alot of good and alot of bad about the company!

chathamf
10-02-2008, 08:25 PM
There a decent company to work for. They are all about safety and always make sure you are informed on how to safely perform new tasks.

I just didn't really enjoy the lifestyle and already had made a decent bit of coin, so I came back to work in Calgary for the summer.

kmackck
10-02-2008, 08:50 PM
o okay. May I ask what the guys were like you worked with? Haha from some Pd hater on this forum they also said the technology was like from the 70's What all did you do in that three months?

kmackck
10-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Work and duties wise*

chathamf
10-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Scrub. steam, carry, lift, find tools, make connections, trip pipe, etc.