PDA

View Full Version : best resturant to take girl to?

colt22
08-15-2007, 01:04 AM
hey, im looking to take my girlfriend out for dinner, but I want it to be somewhere special.

If you guys have had any a nice place please give me some details! Here is the critera

Not too expensive\ ritzy, just something with a nice atmosphere\mood, a place that is not mainstream\generic (i.e moxies ect..) not too busy, and good food!

thanks

SteveyBoy
08-15-2007, 01:09 AM
well it has it's good and it's bad but cactus club is a really awesome place, good because it's uber nice and not as expensive as some places (still pricy tho) and she should be impressed if you can keep your attention focused on her. bad because all the waitresses are extremely gorgeous and very attention catching haha but that's my suggestion!

max_boost
08-15-2007, 01:14 AM
I really like Ric's Grill. Kind of like a Joey's/Moxie's but the service and food has been great every time.

My most recent experience was at Brava Bistro. Oh I love that restaurant.

Raven_R1
08-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Centini or stay home j/j My first choice is CENTINI
2/ La Chaumiere
3/ Teatro
4/ Gnocchi's
5/ Da Guido

JNeil
08-15-2007, 01:21 AM
i've heard open sesame has a good date atmosphere from quite a few people and I don't think they are too expensive.. I've never actually been there though so I'm just going off of what ive been told

ielle
08-15-2007, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by JNeil
i've heard open sesame has a good date atmosphere from quite a few people and I don't think they are too expensive.. I've never actually been there though so I'm just going off of what ive been told

Mmm. Open Sesame. Chocolate spring rolls... Bernard Callebaut chocolate wrapped in a spring roll paper then fried until the chocolate melts.. Sounds nasty.. But SO tasty... A bit expensive... I think $5-6 for 4 smallish rolls.. But... *drool*
Oooh. An banana won tons.. Mmmm.
It's nice inside.. And you can do a "make your own rice/noodle bowl".. where you pick your rice or noodles, buy your chicken/steak/shrimp/whatever... Then you add as many veggies as your bowl can fit.. you can make a really big bowl if you plan your vegetables out right... And it's mediocre-ly priced.

spyce
08-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by SteveyBoy
well it has it's good and it's bad but cactus club is a really awesome place, good because it's uber nice and not as expensive as some places (still pricy tho) and she should be impressed if you can keep your attention focused on her. bad because all the waitresses are extremely gorgeous and very attention catching haha but that's my suggestion!

:werd:
i love going there
cajun creole steak.... :drool:

Ice712
08-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Raven_R1
2/ La Chaumiere
3/ Teatro
4/ Gnocchi's
5/ Da Guido

One of his criteria was NOT TOO EXPENSIVE...well that pretty well eliminates all the places that Raven suggested...although they are all very nice places. Teatro is probably the most expensive restaurant in Calgary.

My suggestions for the poster for mid-priced restaurants are Wildwood, Murrieta's. Nice atmosphere and not super pricey.

wintonyk
08-15-2007, 08:09 AM
Pasquales on Macleod

Its like 20-30 per plate. Which is on par maybe a little more then your Moxies or Earls.

CLiVE
08-15-2007, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
I really like Ric's Grill. Kind of like a Joey's/Moxie's but the service and food has been great every time.

My most recent experience was at Brava Bistro. Oh I love that restaurant.

Ric's Grill. Great suggestion, not too expensive and a very nice atmosphere. Bonterra might be another good choice.

Check out the menus online to see if they suit your price range.
http://www.bonterra.ca/

http://www.ricsgrill.com/dinner.htm

teggypimp95
08-15-2007, 08:18 AM
My gf love to go to caesars for dinner when its something special. Food is amaxing if you like steak and beef. Good soup and bread as well. Expect to pay around 80 bucks for the 2 of you if you dont have wine or something, but its very nice there.

adam c
08-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Tirbune on stephen ave
or raw bar at the hotel arts are really nice places to go

Konj
08-15-2007, 09:24 AM
Don't be cheap and take her to 'The Living Room' on 17th Ave and 4th street right next to Lucky's Lounge. I took a girl there on a first date spent 80$ on a bottle of wine but god damn best wine I ever tasted and best date I ever had. Of course we had a course meal too and the bill came out to 120-140$ cant remember.;)

colt22
08-15-2007, 01:32 PM
thanks alot guys.. lots of options to consider!

89coupe
08-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Tribune
http://www.thetribunerestaurant.ca/
Blink
http://www.blinkcalgary.com/
Divino Wine & Cheese Bistro
http://www.crmr.com/divino/

89coupe
08-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Konj
Don't be cheap and take her to 'The Living Room' on 17th Ave and 4th street right next to Lucky's Lounge. I took a girl there on a first date spent 80$ on a bottle of wine but god damn best wine I ever tasted and best date I ever had. Of course we had a course meal too and the bill came out to 120-140$ cant remember.;)

LOL, an $80 bottle of wine in a restaurant is roughly a $25 bottle in a liquor store ;)

natejj
08-15-2007, 02:00 PM
Hooters.

Seriously, Chianti's on 17th. 5.99 pasta night Sun-Tues!!! And the bread is amazing....

urban.one
08-15-2007, 02:11 PM
lol. you beat me to it. this was my first thought when the guy was raving that it was the best bottle of wine hes ever had.

you can find a great bottle for $25 (or less) but $80 in a restaurant is meh.

Originally posted by 89coupe

LOL, an $80 bottle of wine in a restaurant is roughly a $25 bottle in a liquor store ;)

urban.one
08-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Rics has a summer special on now.

They have $29 and $35 meals. You get your choice of an starter, main course, and dessert for $29 or $35 depending on your main course. Great prices.

Its a steakhouse but theyve got decent options if you dont want a steak. Check out the menu online. I dont see the summer special online but it still is going on.

Originally posted by CLiVE

Ric's Grill. Great suggestion, not too expensive and a very nice atmosphere.

Check out the menus online to see if they suit your price range.

http://www.ricsgrill.com/dinner.htm

4wslude
08-15-2007, 02:16 PM
La Brezza in bridgeland

89coupe
08-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
lol. you beat me to it. this was my first thought when the guy was raving that it was the best bottle of wine hes ever had.

If you like wine, I suggest getting a bottle of this.

1986 Chateau Mouton Rothschild

adam c
08-15-2007, 02:49 PM
chianti's?
i went there for valentines dinner once.. it was horrible.. the tables we're all cramed together.. u couldn't move without hitting somebodies chair or table..

the food wasn't cooked properly.. ended up with a stomach ache all night.. plus it took an hour to come out

not gonna go back there:thumbsdow

Gondi Stylez
08-15-2007, 03:00 PM
My house :thumbsup:

You both can have dinner but I get dessert :poosie:

Mitsu3000gt
08-15-2007, 03:33 PM
HALO is the best restraunt I've ever been to hands down. Their Calamari is some of the best ive ever had, their Rib eye steak (14oz) is the best steak I've ever had, IMO better than the chop house, etc. etc. and their seafood casserola (sp?) is off the hook as well. It's where the old bull and finch used to be in the same parking lot as canyon meadows theatres in the south. I go there frequently and it's always the same. Everyone I've brought there has also told me its their new favourite restraunt.

Otherwise I reccomend:

Centini's
Saltlik
Wellingtons

98type_r
08-15-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by 4wslude
La Brezza in bridgeland

+1 for La Brezza

anybody else remember their old school commercials with the Flames in them?

Euro838
08-15-2007, 03:52 PM
What can you expect? It's valentine's, probably the busiest day of the year next to Mother's day. Great opportunity if you are a restaurant but as a customer, I'd recommend staying clear of any restaurants. Even the small ones are busy. Best bet if you really need to go on this day is to go really early or really late.

To the OP, there's a place by the Sunterra on the west side there just off 17th ave and sarcee, think it's called Sizzler's or something like that. Good food and reasonably priced.

Originally posted by adam c
chianti's?
i went there for valentines dinner once.. it was horrible.. the tables we're all cramed together.. u couldn't move without hitting somebodies chair or table..

the food wasn't cooked properly.. ended up with a stomach ache all night.. plus it took an hour to come out

not gonna go back there:thumbsdow

ashee
08-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Go somewhere for fondu!
Fondu's good date food.

adidas
08-15-2007, 04:27 PM

And your 30 dollar steak dinner is roughly 10 dollars all together prepared at home.

Konj
08-15-2007, 05:02 PM
LOL, an $80 bottle of wine in a restaurant is roughly a $25 bottle in a liquor store

Whats your point?

And yours?

The fact that I am getting ripped off on the bottle of wine? If you see it that way your just too cheap to spend money on a girl like that or on your self.

You may call it raving but I don't drink wine I tasted a few wines here and there but this one was fucking good. Or maybe your trying to imply that you got class cause you know something about wines. Let me tell you something, when you where sucking on your mama's titties I was helping my grandpa crush grapes in Europe to filter for wine.

bluetek
08-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Let me tell you something, when you where sucking on your mama's titties I was helping my grandpa crush grapes in Europe to filter for wine.

:rofl: That's pretty good...

urban.one
08-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Relax dude.

Your original post seemed like you had an attitude about buying an $80 of wine. The post seemed like you thought you were a big spender and that spending $80 on wine was something big.

If the wine was great, why not post what wine you had and not that you spent $80.

As for the $30 steak costing $10. Whats your point? Throw in a side of vegetables, a salad, a potato. Add in the chefs salary, the waiter, the dishwasher, etc. Rent for the building, utilities, etc.

Margins for restaurants are very thin. Booze is one area where a restaurant can make larger margins. The worst ripoff is probably on the low end of wines. That $6 glass of house wine can be found for $7 or $8 per bottle at the saq. On the higher end, at least you are getting the expertise of a sommelier and you may get a wine you cant find elsewhere so the extra cost has some value added.

And yours?

The fact that I am getting ripped off on the bottle of wine? If you see it that way your just too cheap to spend money on a girl like that or on your self.

You may call it raving but I don't drink wine I tasted a few wines here and there but this one was fucking good. Or maybe your trying to imply that you got class cause you know something about wines. Let me tell you something, when you where sucking on your mama's titties I was helping my grandpa crush grapes in Europe to filter for wine.

lewdvig
08-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Raven_R1
2/ La Chaumiere
3/ Teatro
4/ Gnocchi's
5/ Da Guido

+1

BTW why spend $120 on a meal/drinks/tips at Earl's when $200 will get you a better experience at Teatro?

lewdvig
08-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Oh yeah, Chicago Chop house and Vntage are great for Steak and the River Cafe and Ranche are wicked for indigenous food.

Konj
08-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by urban.one
Relax dude.

Your original post seemed like you had an attitude about buying an $80 of wine. The post seemed like you thought you were a big spender and that spending $80 on wine was something big.

If the wine was great, why not post what wine you had and not that you spent $80.

As for the $30 steak costing $10. Whats your point? Throw in a side of vegetables, a salad, a potato. Add in the chefs salary, the waiter, the dishwasher, etc. Rent for the building, utilities, etc.

Margins for restaurants are very thin. Booze is one area where a restaurant can make larger margins. The worst ripoff is probably on the low end of wines. That $6 glass of house wine can be found for $7 or $8 per bottle at the saq. On the higher end, at least you are getting the expertise of a sommelier and you may get a wine you cant find elsewhere so the extra cost has some value added.

Seemed like you guys where bashing me. I should had collaborated more about 'The Living Room' The 80 dollar bottle of wine I had was one of the cheaper one's since there prices go up to 650$ for a bottle and actually average around 150-200$. I am no baller' and I was't trying to brag on how much money I spent on a date but he said not too expensive and I just thought he would like to know what kinda price's are at the living room if he is considering it.

modded46
08-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Burger King!!!

Girls are trouble they don't need good food. :eek:

bamboo403
08-15-2007, 10:45 PM
wine is for girls?

Daxin
08-16-2007, 05:08 PM
If you like Greek, can I suggest the "Broken Plate" on Macleod trail and southport rd. Been their twice and the food was delicious.

l/l/rX
08-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by bamboo403
wine is for girls?

hell no dood. although i would say its for a more mature crowd.

i personally love wine and im 20.

how about opus on 8th?

Teggy
08-16-2007, 07:14 PM
hands down Murrietta's, or if your interested Vintage chophouse is a goodder. ummm other then that, Melrose is a fun chill atmosphere, if you can get out on the patio.

superboss
08-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
My house :thumbsup:

You both can have dinner but I get dessert :poosie:

hahahaha, thats two for dessert!!!!

scboss
09-14-2007, 06:00 AM
+1 for Broken Plate, the ambience at the Kensington location is great. Try the mussels :thumbsup:

I also recommend the Muse in Kensington. The food and ambience is excellent. Expect to pay about $120-$150 if you get appetizers, drinks, mains and dessert. Check it out.
www.muserestaurant.ca

LadyTurbo
09-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Definitely Open Sesame.. I'm a total sucker for that place

abyss
09-14-2007, 10:57 AM
The Living room fondues will win over any girl. So yummy. Plus the atmosphere is really cozy there.

jdmakkord
09-14-2007, 11:11 AM

If you like wine, I suggest getting a bottle of this.

1986 Chateau Mouton Rothschild

Brad why would you recommend a bottle of high end future wine here? I'd bet there isn't more than maybe 5 people on this entire forum that have either tried 86 roth or could even tell it from a $40 bottle of wine. Ballers talk about crystal but how many actually drink it lol!!!