PDA

View Full Version : Allergies...

Davetronz
06-27-2003, 12:56 AM
Ok so I have never had allergies in my life up until the last two years... Someone wanna explain how that can happen.
Before I was able to do anything outside and I would be fine, and I had no food allergies at all.

In the last two years:
Being outside (grass, those white fluff bastards from the trees that fly in the air, dust) cause me to sneeze like a motherfucker and get major congestion.
Eating guacamole or anything avacado based gives me hives.
Dust inside makes me sneeze and wheeze.

The guacamole thing is not a big deal, I dont really like it anyways.
But the outside allergies really bug me.

I am leaving for vacation tomorow and I think I should pick up some allergy stuff. I tried reactine extra strength last year and it sorta worked but it gave me bad nosebleeds every day.

Anyone wanna recommend allergy stuff that works but yet wont kill me!

K271
06-27-2003, 01:01 AM
I was the same way, never had allergies, but once I moved out East and came back to Calgary all was messed. Cause I got use to the humidity out east and coming back to the dryness, my body couldn't deal with all the allergens. I would recommend Benadryl. It has the highest level of antihistamine in any over the counter allergy medicines.

Davetronz
06-27-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by K271
I was the same way, never had allergies, but once I moved out East and came back to Calgary all was messed. Cause I got use to the humidity out east and coming back to the dryness, my body couldn't deal with all the allergens. I would recommend Benadryl. It has the highest level of antihistamine in any over the counter allergy medicines.
As long as it doesnt have codiene. Cus that might cause some problems with the driving!
I will look it up and see if there is anything sleep inducing in it ;)

FiveFreshFish
06-27-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by TurboDSM
Ok so I have never had allergies in my life up until the last two years... Someone wanna explain how that can happen.

Sucks getting OLD! j/k :D

Keep the allergy medicine in their original packages so you won't get hassled by the local authorities.

Davetronz
06-27-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Sucks getting OLD! j/k :D

Keep the allergy medicine in their original packages so you won't get hassled by the local authorities.
LOL I dont think I have to worry about the authorities up north. LOL
:rofl:

And I know I am an old fart. Dammit most of my friends are either getting married or are moved out... It scares me sometimes!

szw
06-27-2003, 01:20 AM
I have bad allergies and claratin and reactine don't cut it for me.

I have these nasal spray things that work good, but I hardly use it cuz it feels gross haha.

It works well though, i'll find the name if you like, I get them for free so I don't know how much they cost.

K271
06-27-2003, 01:23 AM
pretty sure it doesn't have codeine, but probably better if you do check it out. I know it works well as my symptoms were relieved very quickly. Good luck

Davetronz
06-27-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by szw
I have bad allergies and claratin and reactine don't cut it for me.

I have these nasal spray things that work good, but I hardly use it cuz it feels gross haha.

It works well though, i'll find the name if you like, I get them for free so I don't know how much they cost.
LOL I cant stand nasal sprays, I had to use one for about 2 years. Ugggh I think I will try the benadryl!

Hash_man
06-27-2003, 01:38 AM
Ya, i have the same situation, but no food allergies.

I used benedryl at first cuz my science class had rabbits, and I was all of a sudden allergic to them... and the stuff worked great until I passed out for almost 24 hours... and didnt realize till after the second time that the stuff had been expired for 2 years. :thumbsup:

But now I just use Flonase, its a nasal spray and works great for me, but takes about a week to kick in when u start using it in the spring. And then if I need it, I just get some eye drops off the shelf at Shoppers.

Davetronz
06-27-2003, 01:42 AM
Yea I was using prescription flonase when I was playing hockey because the cold air would induce a nasal flow that would make me hack till I yacked...

FiveFreshFish
06-27-2003, 01:46 AM
It's a good thing that you're not allergic to peanuts. That would suck having to paranoid about peanut traces in anything you eat because it might kill you.

Blue Devil 2
06-27-2003, 02:54 AM
I've done the needle program, where they inject small doses of your allergies into you every week (increasing amounts each time) and that worked perfect!

Melinda
06-27-2003, 08:48 AM
My mom and brother use benadryl...works well for them :thumbsup:

CRXguy
06-27-2003, 09:44 AM
i think i gotta pick up some benadryl then. me and my g/f have been sneezing like crazy, and i used up all the kleenex in just a day! :D :eek:

preludegrl
06-27-2003, 01:45 PM
TurboDSM: If you're going to be driving and taking Benadryl you should be careful. Different people react to it in different ways, but one of its main side effects is drowsiness (Benadryl is marketed as an over the counter sleeping aid, too). If you want, there's a new allergy med on the market. It's called Aerius. No prescription needed. It's supposed to work as well as other allergy meds but without any of the drowsiness side effects.

rage2
06-27-2003, 01:56 PM
I've been trying to stay drug free this year, but the last 2 weeks have been horrid... especially driving with the top down.

I'm doing 2 reactine's a day before work, works 1/2 decent. I dont take any before I go to sleep, and the congestion wakes me up at 6 in the morning without needing an alarm clock :).

B17a
06-27-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
i think i gotta pick up some benadryl then. me and my g/f have been sneezing like crazy, and i used up all the kleenex in just a day! :D :eek:

Good, I'm not alone! I've never had allergies but I've been sneezing like a mofo the last two weeks plus this constant runny nose! I hate that poplar tree fuzz, always makes a beeline right up my nose!

JohnnyBlaze
06-27-2003, 03:12 PM
might not be allergies, just hay fever

CRXguy
06-27-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by B17a

Good, I'm not alone! I've never had allergies but I've been sneezing like a mofo the last two weeks plus this constant runny nose! I hate that poplar tree fuzz, always makes a beeline right up my nose!

Yeah man! It sucks, so I can't drive with the windows or sunroof open either, or else the fuzz gets in the car and then I go :nut:

:rofl:

ninspeed
06-27-2003, 04:21 PM
i am the same man.. untill this spring, nothing buged me... i have been taking reactin since mid may, and been some what fine.. if i forget to take it, i cant stop sneezing all day

Hipermax_d
06-27-2003, 06:11 PM
i have hay fever
every year around this time of month i always get runny/stuffy nose with itchy eyes

OPGForce
06-28-2003, 11:40 AM
Once a day I take:

1 Reactine Extra Strength (Keeps allergies away for 24 hours + it's non-drowsy)
2 Drops of Opticrom (Relieves itchy watery burning eyes)
2 Sprays of Flonase (Relieves sneezing and runny noses)

HRD2PLZ
06-28-2003, 12:32 PM
minus the food allergies I have the same problem. I used to be so embarassed when I was taking clients out and I couldn't stop sneezing...Especially in the older areas with the huge poplar trees :banghead: I take reactine now, and it seems to work fine so far. I also stopped using the windows and sunroof in my car and use the a/c. I guess were all getting old...:rofl:

[GaGe]
06-28-2003, 01:40 PM
I had no allergies a few years ago either. Now, i start sneezing and my eyes get really itchy if i go anywhere near a horse. It's weird cause my dad owned a horse when i was 6, and I used to see almost every month.

three.eighteen.
06-28-2003, 08:47 PM
i work outside for like 10 hours a day and some days im fine without any medication at all, others i wake up stuffed and take reactine or claritin (i switch between them to keep my body from getting used to one or another)...then the other day my body totally flipped out, eyes watering like i was crying, sneezing, feeling faint and cold...took a day off work after that...no medication the next day and went thru the day without a sneeze or sniffle...

lammer
06-28-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Hipermax_d
i have hay fever
every year around this time of month i always get runny/stuffy nose with itchy eyes

same here. this year seems to be the wrost, i've been sneezing every minute almost. runny nose and everything!

Originally posted by OPGForce
Once a day I take:

1 Reactine Extra Strength (Keeps allergies away for 24 hours + it's non-drowsy)
2 Drops of Opticrom (Relieves itchy watery burning eyes)
2 Sprays of Flonase (Relieves sneezing and runny noses)

maybe i should start taking up what you do.haha