PDA

View Full Version : Oil & Gas, Engineering & Technology Career Fair!

msouther
08-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Hey Everybody,

I just thought that I would let you all know that the Calgary Herald is holding an Oil & Gas, Engineering & Technology Career Fair once again at the Telus Convention Centre on October 2nd, 2007. If you are a job seeker please come on down to meet with the top employers around. If you work for a company who fits in these various sectors and you want info on having a booth at the event, feel free to contact me. The space is limited and secured on a first come, first serve basis. Please don't email me directly if you are a job seeker, but feel free to post on this forum and I will answer when I can. Here is a link to an ad I have on our employment website Working.com which lists info about the event and also the companies who participated last time:

http://workingcalgaryjobs.canada.com/texis/jobsearch/details.html?id=46a8d26749b250&q=Career%20Fair&qMiles=100&qCity=Calgary&qState=AB&pp=25&view=1&page=1&ccsj=1

Take care and happy job hunting!

Majestic12
08-15-2007, 06:20 PM
Went to the last one, and it was a gong show, with pretty much everyone saying the same thing..
"Here's a pamphlet, go check out the website printed on there, and it'll tell you more about what we offer".

I was not impressed at all.

kaput
08-15-2007, 06:52 PM

msouther
08-15-2007, 09:50 PM
"You need to have at least twice as much space per employer as well so it doesn't get congested."

Funny you should mention that, we booked 4 halls instead of the 2 this time and we won't be having double the exhibitors present. This is the first time I have organized this event and that was my first concern. The space for each exhibitor booth will be the same as last time, but the space in between will be larger which will ease congestion.

We only printed out 1,500 brochures for attendees with the last event and they were gone in the first hour. The last event blew away our expectations because it was the first ever. I am pretty sure though that the companies will still direct a lot of people to their website. One reason for this is so that they can track their return on investment which makes sense. They will probably have a question on there referring to how the job seeker heard about the job and then they can see what sort of traffic they got from our event.

kaishen
08-21-2007, 12:34 PM
hows the work market in calgary? are engineers in demand?

ChokeEmOut
08-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by kaishen
hows the work market in calgary? are engineers in demand?

:rofl:

Trini
08-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Majestic12
Went to the last one, and it was a gong show, with pretty much everyone saying the same thing..
"Here's a pamphlet, go check out the website printed on there, and it'll tell you more about what we offer".

:werd: everyone would say 'go to our website and apply there'
waste of time IMHO and fustrating

nagooro
08-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Majestic12

+1
I went to the last one, and definatley was disappointed.

adamc
08-21-2007, 02:57 PM
I'm pretty sure they're all what you make them..

if you show up like a faceless fucking jobseeking droid, shuffling between booths to see which one has the best candy, you're not going to get much out of the experience.

if you go determined to try to make yourself memorable to the people you're speaking with (often people in HR that are the gatekeepers to the jobs you're seeking), then you're going to have a little more luck.

msouther
08-23-2007, 10:01 AM
"I'm pretty sure they're all what you make them..

if you show up like a faceless fucking jobseeking droid, shuffling between booths to see which one has the best candy, you're not going to get much out of the experience.

if you go determined to try to make yourself memorable to the people you're speaking with (often people in HR that are the gatekeepers to the jobs you're seeking), then you're going to have a little more luck."

I have to agree with this 100%. If you weren't happy with the last event then I recommend don't come to the next one because it will be the exact same scenario. How do you possibly expect companies to interview and hire on the spot for these types of positions at a one day event with 5,000+ plus job seekers walking through the door? (That is a rhetorical question by the way). You aren't going to be flipping burgers or something like that. You have to come down there and identify who you really want to work for. Instead of casting out your net and trying to reel in everything, maybe just use a hook and bait and concentrate on a few in particular. Spend more time with them and make them remember your name.

The employment market of Calgary is hot, but don't expect to walk in and have employers begging you to work for them. These types of jobs still do have competition. As I said before, how else does a company track their return on investment other than having the job seeker go through their Applicant Tracking System on their website and calculate it from there.

For those optimistic people out there, please come on down, bring lots of resumes and sell yourself to the company that you want to work for. Good luck!

PINOY-X
08-23-2007, 10:32 AM
applying on there site for job is pretty much a 50/50 chance... the best way imo to get an office job at an oil and gas place is to knwo someone in the inside ... as for me i actually got lucky and met someone who knew someone inside and that is how i got my job .. haha

but this job fairs are always worth the try in some ways all depends how you are and how badly you want the job

msouther
09-15-2007, 10:37 AM
I just wanted to revise this thread once again. I have 30 companies confirmed to participate in the October 2nd, 2007 Career Fair. I should have one or more come through before the registration deadline. I hope to see some of you optimistic job seekers down there. Even if you are directed to go to websites to apply, you can get some free swag from the big companies in attendance. Take care and let me know if any of you have any questions.

Majestic12
09-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by PINOY-X
applying on there site for job is pretty much a 50/50 chance... the best way imo to get an office job at an oil and gas place is to knwo someone in the inside ... as for me i actually got lucky and met someone who knew someone inside and that is how i got my job .. haha

but this job fairs are always worth the try in some ways all depends how you are and how badly you want the job

Very true...
I just got in at EnCana, and it wasn't through applications. I tried the application route... out of about 9 or 10 apps, I got a grand total of zero callbacks. However, I had the number of someone there, and from there, it snowballed into a few different contacts, and boom, I got in.

Don't mean to slag the job fair route... I'm sure it works for some people, and it's a lot better than sitting on your ass at home, but IMO, there's nothing better than contacts in the industry.

adamc
09-15-2007, 12:44 PM
which department, majestic?

Majestic12
09-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Clearwater BU, land