PDA

View Full Version : Best Winter Tires for 2007 BMW 3 Series??

Kona9
08-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Looking into this for a friend.

What would the best winter tires be for a new 3 series BMW?

I have not driven it or a BMW for some time and never in the snow. Therefore I have no clue as to where to start. I hear stories of traction issues (winter) now and again from BMW drivers here and there.

Nokian Hakkapolitas?

Blizzaks?

Information and knowledge from the experienced would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Anton
08-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Hakkas are amazing tires. I love my Nokians :thumbsup:

E46..sTyLez
08-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Any winter tire will work...Bmw's are awesome to drive in the winter. No traction issues what so ever. I can't even remember what kind of winters i have, but they hook up on ice/snow no problem with traction/stability control on.

Hakkola
08-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Kona9

Nokian Hakkapolitas?

Hakkapeliittas. I use 'em, there is nothing out there as good as these tires, they kind of take the fun out winter driving though, I don't know what it is like to slide out the rear end anymore.

Safety first! :thumbsup:

blinkme_210
08-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Blizzak LM-25 on my 530xi in the winter!

Kona9
08-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Hakkapeliittas. I use 'em, there is nothing out there as good as these tires, they kind of take the fun out winter driving though, I don't know what it is like to slide out the rear end anymore.

Safety first! :thumbsup:

Thanks man! (especially on the spelling lol) The tires are to go on a saucy little Minx's Beemer. The main use of the car is commuting herself to work and her daughter to school. So as far as fun winter driving goes, it wouldn't be happening anyways. Just a pretty little thing in her pretty little car.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Hakkola
08-16-2007, 12:40 PM

Thanks man! (especially on the spelling lol)

I'm Finnish, the Hakkapeliittas were the Finnish soldiers that did the ass kicking for the Swedish empire after the 1500's. I like to think it is the word my last name comes from. :D I might get a tattoo of it so I had better spell it right. :rofl:

You won't find a better winter tire for your car.

Kona9
08-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

I'm Finnish, the Hakkapeliittas were the Finnish soldiers that did the ass kicking for the Swedish empire after the 1500's. I like to think it is the word my last name comes from. :D I might get a tattoo of it so I had better spell it right. :rofl:

You won't find a better winter tire for your car.

Excellent! A history buff to boot!

I used to run Nokians on my first Downhill Bike. Gazzaloddi Jr's I believe!

gpomp
08-16-2007, 01:25 PM
LM-22 runflats.

lint
08-16-2007, 01:25 PM
The tires are to go on a saucy little Minx's Beemer.

I thought this said Minx's Beaver... :(

max_boost
08-16-2007, 02:58 PM
You have to match the winter tires to the car/driver.

Ask her if she prefers a softer Q/R/S/T rated tire which grips better in the snow but compromises some of the dry road handling and tread life or a H/V rated tire which is excellent on dry roads, longer tread life but offers less grip in the deep snow.

If she wants a really sticky winter tire, Michelin X-Ice. Because of the chinook and plenty of dry days during the winter months, I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Alpin 2!

Kona9
08-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
You have to match the winter tires to the car/driver.

Ask her if she prefers a softer Q/R/S/T rated tire which grips better in the snow but compromises some of the dry road handling and tread life or a H/V rated tire which is excellent on dry roads, longer tread life but offers less grip in the deep snow.

If she wants a really sticky winter tire, Michelin X-Ice. Because of the chinook and plenty of dry days during the winter months, I would recommend the Michelin Pilot Alpin 2!

Very intuitive! Thanks alot! Shit even I'm learning something. :thumbsup: :rofl:

As I mentioned (partially) She is a city girl. Doesn't do winter road trips outside of the city. (Atleast not with her car) Last year she had most issues with ice and packed snow. Again...good info to know!

Apologies to the title mistake as well. It is an 06 rather than 07. (not that it matters)

Tuner1
08-16-2007, 04:10 PM
17" or 18"? Do you care if they are run-flats or not? Are you looking for a good all-around winter tires or something with good high speed performance or something that excells when the roads are nasty?

Rob

BokCh0y
08-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Toyo Garit H/T's

Ultra high performance tire.

Had them on my IS.....plowed through snow and gripped the ice like a hooker with cum on her eyes.

A2VR6
08-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
Toyo Garit H/T's

Ultra high performance tire.

Had them on my IS.....plowed through snow and gripped the ice like a hooker with cum on her eyes.

:werd: they're pretty decent tires... good price too! I've had nothing but grip with mine in the winter.