PDA

View Full Version : Help from the Bicycle Enthusiasts

5hift
08-16-2007, 01:16 PM
I've always had a mountain bike, but just recently I have started riding it as a mode of transportation/getting around/leaving it unattended in public areas. I need a good bike lock/way to lock it up if I ride to school etc, and was looking for suggestions from people who do this regularily.

My front tire and seat have really easy quick release levers as do a lot of bikes, and I've seen people either run cables through everything, or take it off first then lock it up. The last thing I would want would be to return to my bike to find it there, but hte front wheel and seat gone.

My bike isnt crazy expensive, but defenetely would get stolen if I left it unattended or with a shitty lock. Any suggestions would be appricaited for a lock, or specific way of locking it up.

I also need new replacement tires for my bike (nothing fancy or high end, but not what they have at Canadian tire), so if anyone can recomend a good store for prices and install that would be great.

doublepostwhore
08-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Calgary cycle. VERY good store + awesome guys.

I usually lock my bike with a u-lock and a cable lock.

Ulock around the frame (down tube) and the cable through my rear tire, chainstay and front tire.

Its alot of shit to carry, but if you care about your bike then it wont be that big of a deal.

98brg2d
08-16-2007, 01:20 PM
MEC has good tires at awesome prices. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to change the tire yourself even if you are mechanically challenged.

I like Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires.

hedge
08-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Buy a beater for around town.

98type_r
08-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by hedge
Buy a beater for around town.

:werd:

I never leave any of my bikes locked up in public places, if someone wants to steal your bike they will get it.

lint
08-16-2007, 01:44 PM
I second MEC for cheap tires. I swapped out my knobbies for a couple of continental country ride (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442498785&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302693841&bmUID=1187292942943) slicks for my commute into work. $21 each and they've been great so far.

98type_r
08-16-2007, 01:47 PM
You can replace the quick release on your seatpost with a regular clamp also, any bike shop should carry a range of sized that will fit your bike.

As for your tires, MEC does have some quality tires at decent prices. It depends on what type of riding you do in order to determine what would be a good tire for you. A lot of people here seem to love the Panaracer Fire XC pro. I personally don't care too much for how it corners under speed. My best experience has been with the IRC Mibro for an all around trail tire. Fast rolling and great cornering.

If you buy cheap tires, be prepared to spend a good half an hour fighting with the wire bead to get it mounted. Any quality foldable tire is much easier to mount IMO.

teggypimp95
08-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Go to bow cycle in bowness, they have all kinds of lock there. Get one where u can run it through both tires and frame then to the bike racks or something.

Like said about change ur seat to no longer have quick release or do what alot of guys do and just take it with you.

civic_stylez
08-18-2007, 09:25 AM
anything but this...

http://www.myspacecomedy.com/images/funny/bike-lock.jpg

prae
08-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
anything but this...

[im g]http://www.myspacecomedy.com/images/funny/bike-lock.jpg[/img]

lol as ineffective as that may be, it would still be hard to just ride off with the bike, since the lock is in the way!

Kritafo
08-20-2007, 11:29 AM
MEC for cheap tires +1

but if your worried about your bike being stolen I highly recommend a beater.

My husband did this after a bunch of crap bikes were stolen at his workplace in a secured area downtown. He had taken all the decals off his bike, they didn't know the brand. If they did they would have left all the other crap alone.

He however did buy a junk bike to ride to work never had an issue, but lots of guys at work have, even with their expensive locks and what not. If they want your bike they will get it.

Mitsu3000gt
08-20-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm pretty sure a car jack breaks open the U-Locks with ease, and obviously a big pair of snips makes short work of any cable/chain. As people have already said, if they want it they will get it - easily. The best deterrant is having something nobody wants haha.

Hello123
08-20-2007, 12:45 PM
You can try the kryptonite faggedaboutit ulock...

There were some good reviews on it as well as people who tested it out with using all kinds of tools to see if they can break it.... From what i've read i think it took them about 45minutes to break it... but thats without worrying about other people catching you while doing it. so based on that the lock sounds really good!!

Hello123
08-20-2007, 12:46 PM
^^very expensive tho

MrSector9
08-20-2007, 12:50 PM
they had kryptonite 5 foot cable locks at princess auto for $10, i bought 2 and put them together.

as stated above, try to leave it in a public area so people question big snips, keep it locked up tight and get a standard seat post clamp.

depending on the price also look into insurance for it. I beleive ti will fall under house insurance.

98type_r
08-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Hello123
You can try the kryptonite faggedaboutit ulock...

There were some good reviews on it as well as people who tested it out with using all kinds of tools to see if they can break it.... From what i've read i think it took them about 45minutes to break it... but thats without worrying about other people catching you while doing it. so based on that the lock sounds really good!!

i have that lock, its too heavy to be practical unless you're leaving it somewhere.

i use it to lock up my bike at work, i just leave it chained up to the rack all year long.