PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning intercooler

CRXguy
06-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Just wondering if there's any tips I should follow?

During my drive down to the U.S., I killed a lot of bugs, and most of it is still there. Should I use the water hose at home, or use a high pressure washer?

Lastly, there's a couple of bent fins. I was thinking of using needle nose pliers to bend 'em back, but just wanted to make sure with you turbo guys here first.

It's for my WRX.

Thanks!

rage2
06-27-2003, 10:32 AM
I'd check with the dealer to see if that bent fins damage is covered because it's normal wear and tear before I try anything myself. Intercoolers aren't cheap if they get broken :).

Redlyne_mr2
06-27-2003, 10:34 AM
I use a a cleaning product called super green (may be a different name, havent done it in a while). I remove both charge pipes from the intercooler adn fill the intercooler with the green. Let it sit for 30 minutes then take a hose to it to rinse it out, works like a charm

CRXguy
06-27-2003, 10:35 AM
hmmm..... didn't think of that. but they'll probably turn it around and blame it on me for driving fast and following too close or whatever. :confused: :(

D'z Nutz
06-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I use a a cleaning product called super green (may be a different name, havent done it in a while).

Do you mean simple green? That stuff works great and does an excellent job of loosening up grease and shit.

Redlyne_mr2
06-27-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Do you mean simple green? That stuff works great and does an excellent job of loosening up grease and shit.
Yah thats the one, couldnt remember the name..thanks

D'z Nutz
06-27-2003, 10:41 AM
There's a picture of it in this thread:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18299

I use that stuff on loosening up brake dust on my rims. Just spray that shit on, let it sit for a few minutes, then blast it off with a high pressure hose! Hahaha! The bottle recommends you mix it with water, but I've never done that.

DSM Power
06-27-2003, 07:41 PM
If you're talking about cleaning it out then use gasoline. If you're just talking external washing, well, these tips sound good enough. ;)

4wheeldrift
06-27-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
There's a picture of it in this thread:
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18299

I use that stuff on loosening up brake dust on my rims. Just spray that shit on, let it sit for a few minutes, then blast it off with a high pressure hose! Hahaha! The bottle recommends you mix it with water, but I've never done that. Make sure you use the automotive stuff, regular simple green will attack aluminum very rapidly.

Dr. Lightspeed
06-27-2003, 10:12 PM
Find an old comb cut the teeth you don't need off and comb yourcooler that will straighten the fins.