PDA

View Full Version : Getting into a Manual

Trate
08-16-2007, 10:40 PM
I am in the process of buying a new car, but I've never been in a standard and I'd like to try it out before committing to an auto.

None of my friends own standards, AMA discontinued their manual course, two other driving schools that list manual in the yellow pages have their websites taken down, I'd rather not put down a couple grand + insurance just to see if I like something, and rentals don't do standard.

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could get a feel for which would be better for me, manual or auto?

I tried a few searches, best I came up with was Learning Manual (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/136786/best-way-to-learn-manual-/) and I didn't find my answer in there unfortunately.

schurchill39
08-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Have some one who knows how to drive a manual take a car on a test drive then let them let you drive it. You probably wont like it at first as it will take a day or so to get used to and a few days to get the idea down pretty good, but I can almost garuntee that once you learn your not going to want to go back to auto.

Driving a standard is alot funner then auto IMO. It gives you something to do while driving as opposed to talking on a cell phone etc. I believe it helps with keeping people more aware because your more involved and you need to time your shifts according to whats happening around you.

But ultimately the best way to learn is to just go out and do it... if you like the car and think you may like manual... buy the car.

dimi
08-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Hmmmm, I don't know if its a plausible idea but you could get a cheap car in rough shape for around $200-500. IMO that is the best course money can buy you, and you could even sell it after. :burnout:

lilmira
08-16-2007, 11:11 PM
It isn't that difficult. I learned to drive standard driving my own car. Think about it, there was a time when there was no such thing as auto transmission. That being said, some people just can't drive standard or not.

If you think you are a decent driver, I'll say go for it. Calgary is getting busier but it is still fun driving a standard unlike Vancouver. You'll probably stall quite a few times at first but it shouldn't take you more than a week to be comfortable. Take the car out for practice when the roads are not busy. Your body will pick up in no time.

Once a while when I drive an auto, my foot will reach for the clutch before starting the car.

mo_money2supe
08-16-2007, 11:18 PM
I've been driving a standard since I picked up my learner's licence on my 14th birthday. I'm now 24, and not once, have I considered buying an auto. Just bought myself a 2nd vehicle too, and guess what, it was a 5-spd.

As someone mentioned, the moment you drive a standard, you'll never go back (well, assuming you liked driving a standard to begin with).

As for learning how to drive the standard, get your standard driving friend to go with you to a dealership for a test drive, ask if they'll allow just the both of you to go on the test drive, take it to an empty parking lot, and just practice starting several times. After that, shifting just comes naturally.

Good luck on learning and just remember, let go of your clutch foot very slowly to begin with. Never take it off quickly and you'll be fine.

Xamim
08-16-2007, 11:27 PM
I was also going to say buy a beater and learn and then sell it. Thats if you dont have any friends that have a manual. And as others have mensioned, its 100 times more fun than auto. My car is manual, but about once a month I get to drive auto, and its so boring hahha.

I learned on my dads car. Took some time, but its worth it. He taught me the basics. After that he would drop off the car at my work, and I would practise in the empty parking lot when I would get off from work and then drive home.

Funny story. I was driving home from work one night and stopped at a red light, witch is on a hill. And this lancer pulls up. The light turns green, and since Im on a hill I gave her a bit more gas then usual, being a noob that I was. So my tires did a little spin and made a bit of noise:burnout: I guess the guy in the lancer thought that I was racing him and he just floors it, while I'm laughing my ass off.

But seriously, just buy a beater :rofl: And good luck:thumbsup:

403Gemini
08-16-2007, 11:35 PM
my buddy bought a car without knowing manual... i tought him how to drive manual the night before he picked up his new car, he stalled it 4 times on the way home but i followed him the entire way lol also he kept it in too high of a gear going up a hill and was going like 20 km/h up the hill lol

honestly you'll learn pretty quick, just drive late at night around your area for a bit when you get the car

Trate
08-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks all for the quick replies!

Originally posted by schurchill39
Have some one who knows how to drive a manual take a car on a test drive then let them let you drive it.

I'd feel pretty shitty about bagging someones future ride, I'm not sure how well dealers work their demo vehicles? If they totally restored them, then that would be an option, especially helpful since I could try out the car I've been eyeing (Nissan Sentra 2.0S 6-speed)

Originally posted by Xamim
I was also going to say buy a beater and learn and then sell it.....

But seriously, just buy a beater :rofl: And good luck:thumbsup:

Would I be best off doing a WTB on Beyond or hitting up the shady used car lots? I'd love to get a beater for ~$500 that is in working order that I could insure and just take around (at night and other non-peak hours as suggested)

Xamim
08-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Trate
Would I be best off doing a WTB on Beyond or hitting up the shady used car lots? I'd love to get a beater for ~$500 that is in working order that I could insure and just take around (at night and other non-peak hours as suggested)

I would say go through private sales rather than the car lots, cuz those guys can screw you over even on a beater. Try beyond, I've seen a few thread where someone was looking for a cheap beater. A friend of mine bought a Mazda 626 for ~$700, drove it for 2 years with out any problems at all and then sold it for like $800.

Annoyingrob
08-17-2007, 02:19 AM
I know 3 friends who never dove stndard until the day they bought a car. First time all 3 of them drove standard was driving it off the lot. You'd be surprised how quickly you figure it out wen you need to :)

eur0
08-17-2007, 03:01 AM
My first 3 hours of learning 5spd was in an MG roadster, what an awful experience. It did not deter me though and my dad bought me a 91 Civic 5psd shortly after. It took me about a week before I was not stalling at the lights and could pull away from hill-starts (probably the hardest part).

It is a tough call because in the end it's your opinion. For me I just wanted to learn 5spd and that was that. Of the 7 cars I have owned 1 of them was auto.

If you consider yourself lazy and just want a vehicle to get from point A to point B, go with auto. If you want to feel the car, have greater control and don't mind clutching then look at a 5spd.

Reasons you may like driving manual:
- More control over your vehicle (winter time esp).
- You choose when to shift.
- They can have better gas mileage.
- They are faster.

Reasons why you may not like manual:
- You drive downtown everyday in rush hour: clutch, gas, clutch, brake, clutch, gas, clutch, brake...
- Tougher to drink and eat.
- Constantly paying attention to your rev's.
- Not sure what else?

Best thing to do is to find someone with a manual beater in good condition and try that for a while. Ask around, I am sure someone you know can help. That or take driver's ed.

cityhunter2501
08-17-2007, 10:30 AM
I remember Zephyr's post on a thread like this months ago and agree 100% with him.

2nd to 5/6 is no problem.
its from neutral to 1st gear the hardest and the one you should spend the most time on.
mainly get your left foot used on controlling the clutch, how much pressure to release or give to not stall on first gear.

heres some video if you want to check them out
http://www.standardshift.com/videos.html

MilanoRedTeg
08-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by eur0

Reasons why you may not like manual:
- You drive downtown everyday in rush hour: clutch, gas, clutch, brake, clutch, gas, clutch, brake...

Definitely if you work downtown, and drive in rush hour, it is a huge pain in the asssssss. Traffic:cry:

rc2002
08-17-2007, 11:05 AM
+1. Driving to and from downtown in rush hour sucks in a manual. I'd gladly take a SMG or DSG over a manual for a daily commuter any day.

JRSC00LUDE
08-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Trate
I'd feel pretty shitty about bagging someones future ride

That may very well be the quote of the month, good for you for not being a douchebag. :thumbsup:

And it won't take you long to learn stick at all, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

woovic
08-17-2007, 11:22 AM
I think this place still has stick training:
http://www.fleetsafetyinternational.com/

Trini
08-17-2007, 11:29 AM
sound advice in this thread.

Trate
08-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

That may very well be the quote of the month, good for you for not being a douchebag. :thumbsup:

And it won't take you long to learn stick at all, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Cheers, I emailed them and got this back.

HI,

Every two hours in the Standard car is $164.00, meeting the instructor at Bay 119 4999-43 Street S.E.

To book, or if you have any more questions please call me at the number below.

Carol Goebel

Sales

Fleet Safety International Inc.

[email protected]

403-283-0077 866-432-5076

I think when AMA used to offer it, it was $148/2 hours. So it's doable I think. It may be my best best rather then buying a beater and dealing with insurance and disposal, I could do this and then, if it pans out, get the new (or used) car, and work on that.

I transit downtown, so for it would be to stations for driving and misc other driving for groceries and the such. The buses are just too unreliable these days.

Originally posted by cityhunter2501
I remember Zephyr's post on a thread like this months ago and agree 100% with him.

Not exactly Zephyr's, but this thread got me interested.

Learning Standard (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/131016/teaching-standard-manual/)

topmade
08-17-2007, 08:52 PM
Very easy to learn and way way more fun to drive.
I've taught a few friends and I tell them it's like riding a bike, you have to keep changing gears so it's not so hard on your body(engine). If you keep it in high gear(1st or 2nd) no matter how fast you peddle, you can only go so fast because the gear is only meant for certain speeds, so then you have to change gears.

Where do you live? If you're in the N.W. area, I can let you boot around a few evenings in my 94 civic if you want.

avishal26
08-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Apparently there is a rental company around in calgary that will rent a manual. My buddy was buyin a new car and he wanted to see if standard was his thing, and in the end... he bought a 350z 6-speed :drool: lol. that thing is nice...I had to drive it home for him on the first night (I didn't mind at all lol) but he learned really quick. Especially since I let him try it out in my car before...and then he went and rented a manual sunfire I think it was...:dunno:

Once you start driving a manual, you'll love it. more control! :burnout:

So call a few more rental companies and see if they have manuals...I can't remember where my buddy got his from...I'll post it here if I find out. Good luck. (ps...you should consider the altima coupe as well if you're thinkin sentra...cus I think they're close in price...not absolutely sure tho)

Supa Dexta
08-18-2007, 12:31 AM
someone just take the guy out and show him.. Hell I'd let ya play with my car if I were around.... I know not everyone here is driving an amazing car... take him for a rip an show him the basics, explain how your shifting when your doing it,..

inspektor
08-18-2007, 01:18 AM
standardshift.com (http://www.standardshift.com/index.html) is an excellent resource for driving stick. hit the forums there and read, lots of info to be had.

as for practice... well if you have a good head on your shoulders and a good understanding of how everything works, just research as much as you can and it shouldnt be a problem. i never drove a stick before i picked up my car and from research alone had no problems at all getting the hang of it. there is one keyword that all newcomers should know: revmatch :thumbsup:

Trate
08-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Hey topmade, I've left you a pm, thank you for the offer.

I'll read more up on standardshift and call around the rental companies as well.

Hmmm, for Sentra msrp would be 19.5k, and Altima Coupe is running at 27.8k. At that range I'd think I'd lean toward an Eclipse. Haha, that's me dreaming though, I'll have to stick with an econobox for a while yet.

Edit: I have a lesson set up (just to try it out and see if I like that over a CVT) and found neighbour close by that will take me around and explain what he is doing!

Thank you one and all for the advice and comments

Second Edit: Should the six-speed in a sentra be a deciding factor over a five-speed in another car? Would the extra gear be worth it?

4wheeldrift
08-18-2007, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the number of gears as the deciding factor when buying a car. Some engines just work a lot better tied to a 6 speed than a 5, but most econoboxes you won't really notice a difference generally. The extra gears are very advantageous on a car with a very narrow power band because it helps you keep the revs up a lot more, but every car is different. The usual advice when buying a car applies, drive a bunch of different cars and see what you like. You may really like the feel of the sentra with the 6 speed, you may not.

A790
08-19-2007, 08:41 AM
Dude, you don't need lessons. I taught my girlfriend how to drive a stick in like 20 minutes.

Go to an empty parking lot and practice getting into first and getting it moving.

The best way that I've learned to do this is:

1) Put in clutch and put car into 1st (top left usually).
2) Take foot off brake and slowly release clutch. DO NOT TOUCH GAS.
3) As the car begins to slowly lurch forward, apply a bit of gas and release clutch.
4) HOORAY, You're moving! :P

SCHIDER23
08-20-2007, 11:23 AM
look at me my uncle he took me out on his truck one afternoon and learned that same day, since the next day I had to drive standard vehicles all day because of the company I was working at, My brother learned how to drive stick using a semi , I'm not kidding he actually learned how to drive that way cause where he worked at the time.:eek:

bspot
08-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by MilanoRedTeg

Definitely if you work downtown, and drive in rush hour, it is a huge pain in the asssssss. Traffic:cry:

I actually like it better. I have really long legs, and they don't fit under the steering wheel in anything but a truck. I'd rather use the clutch and gas than the brake, way more comfortable. Plus I hate having to sit on the brake the whole time when stuck in traffic, I'd rather not have to touch any pedals at all.