PDA

View Full Version : Rollin back the odometer????

2.2vtec
06-27-2003, 11:20 AM
If you find a car for sale and the kms seem too low how can you tell if it's been rolled back??? Is there anyway to find out?

rage2
06-27-2003, 11:23 AM
Carfax would give you some info on history. I would find out what dealer the guy used for service, get a service history and look for anything suspicious.

GTS Jeff
06-27-2003, 11:34 AM
shaky speedo, how the car feels...

i also like to look at the wear on the drivers seat...

dj_honda
06-27-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
shaky speedo, how the car feels...

i also like to look at the wear on the drivers seat...

also look for wear on the pedals and steering wheel.

BlaCkPlaGUE
06-27-2003, 02:45 PM
If anything, I'd try and see if there are any service records for that car. I have no idea how you would find them, maybe the registry or even call up a few service depots where the guy has been and see if they are on file. I would assume that they usually keep a record of when the car was serviced, as in how many clicks.
Other than that, I don't think that there is any way to really tell.

Weapon_R
06-27-2003, 03:43 PM
The easiest way to tell is that most numbers don't line up - but thats not the only indicator. Sometimes, a speedometer will shake as it moves up, indicating your speed. This, in turn with the unaligned numbers, is a dead giveaway that the km's have been rolled back. Another way is to check with carfax and your local registries to see whether the vehicle was ever registered with a higher km reading.

EstoMax
06-27-2003, 08:12 PM
hey how would a speedo's shaking have to do with numbers being rolled back? i dont quite understand the connection here..

max

GTS Jeff
06-28-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by EstoMax
hey how would a speedo's shaking have to do with numbers being rolled back? i dont quite understand the connection here..

max when u fuck around with the dash(ie disconnecting it), then shit goes wrong (ie needle getting fucked).

also, if u notice that the speedo needle and the rpm needle dont sync up the same way everytime u drive the car, theres another clue that the dash was tampered with.

lammer
06-28-2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
when u fuck around with the dash(ie disconnecting it), then shit goes wrong (ie needle getting fucked).

also, if u notice that the speedo needle and the rpm needle dont sync up the same way everytime u drive the car, theres another clue that the dash was tampered with.

what if your installing indiglo gagues or some shit? does it still wreck your needles moving in sync and thus being called for the "rolled odometer"?

ZorroAMG
06-28-2003, 02:25 AM
I think newer odo's (obviously non-digital) would produce a red line across the numbers if they are rolled back....not positive on manufaturers or year they started though. Check all the dealerships of the make to find out thru the VIN # if it was ever serviced, compare dates and numbers

Weapon_R
06-28-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I think newer odo's (obviously non-digital) would produce a red line across the numbers if they are rolled back....not positive on manufaturers or year they started though. Check all the dealerships of the make to find out thru the VIN # if it was ever serviced, compare dates and numbers

You'd be surprised. Many manufacturers don't do this. Everytime I go to the wreckers, I take out a gauge cluster and play with the km's. They are surprisingly easy to roll back.

HTN SWCHS
06-28-2003, 08:58 AM
the numbers would not line up perfectly,

5.9 R/T
06-28-2003, 12:00 PM
Sometimes there is a seal that you would have to break to get at the numbers as well. But unless you knew the seal was there in the first place...

StrokeD z
06-28-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
The easiest way to tell is that most numbers don't line up - but thats not the only indicator. Sometimes, a speedometer will shake as it moves up, indicating your speed. This, in turn with the unaligned numbers, is a dead giveaway that the km's have been rolled back. Another way is to check with carfax and your local registries to see whether the vehicle was ever registered with a higher km reading.

my car does that all the time and i know it hasnt been rolled back

330 000km

and i have a golf that the numbers dont match up because it is on the verge of switching numbers

based on this i dont think you can find out if it has or not :bullshit:

shelbix2020
06-30-2003, 01:47 AM
I think my truck they rolled it forward lol ... well that would explain 43k miles in 1 year

Abom
06-30-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by StrokeD z
my car does that all the time and i know it hasnt been rolled back

330 000km

and i have a golf that the numbers dont match up because it is on the verge of switching numbers

based on this i dont think you can find out if it has or not :bullshit:

:werd: Most newer cars have the red line through the numbers if you try and fuck with them. Weapon_R says everytime he is at the junkers, he grabs a gauge cluster and plays with the kms, but how many newer cars have you done this with? In fact, I'm not 100% sure for Canada, but there are laws around that require manufacturers to install "anti-cheat" devices, such as the red line, to combat this fraud, which is what it is, criminal fraud.

dj_honda
06-30-2003, 12:38 PM
just a few months ago there was a special on that consumer reports that calgary 7 has at lunch time, and a guy was showing how easy it was to roll back the kms on a truck that was mainly used for driving back and forth from calgary to edmonton. it was like a 99 ford pickup, and the guy said by rolling down the kms with this pickup he could increase the value anywhere from 10-20 grand. so i am sure its possible on newer cars. also, when my dad was looking for a minivan, we went to some fob dealership and we were going to test drive a odyssey, until we noticed the kms were exactly at 100 000.

Abom
06-30-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda
also, when my dad was looking for a minivan, we went to some fob dealership and we were going to test drive a odyssey, until we noticed the kms were exactly at 100 000.

Doesn't mean that they were tampered with tho, could simply be crazy coincidence :dunno:

teg_star
02-09-2004, 02:23 PM
jus wonderin...........what are the fines, if someone does find out that u rolled back the odometer?!?.........or is there even a fine?

so if u bought a car that later on u found out that it has been rolled back...........what do u do?.....jus gotta put up with it or what?

thx

angierideswitme
02-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Shaky speedo means thats theres a problem in the line to the tranny or the tranny it self, it never has anything to do with the cluste itself:thumbsup:

EK 2.0
02-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by teg_star
jus wonderin...........what are the fines, if someone does find out that u rolled back the odometer?!?.........or is there even a fine?

so if u bought a car that later on u found out that it has been rolled back...........what do u do?.....jus gotta put up with it or what?

thx

Mechanics lose their license, there is a fine i forget how much even some jail time if I remember correctly...and if you purchase one with a rolled od you basically have to live with it...

teg_star
02-09-2004, 04:17 PM
so what if u sold a car that has been rolled back???......would it be their problem??....or can u still get fined?

BigShow
02-09-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by teg_star
so what if u sold a car that has been rolled back???......would it be their problem??....or can u still get fined?

They come after you and beat your ass...

haha..

I imagine you would be in trouble somehow.

MM99lude
02-09-2004, 06:51 PM
I know a guy who baught a 2000 Maxima with 90k Km and then found out that the odometer had been rolled back, and he went to the police and they are currently investigating the situation.

But first he went to the guy who he baught it from offered to sell it back to him at the price he paid and forget the whole thing, the guy refused, and claimed it haden't been touched. So he went found the old service records ( had to go all the way back to Ontario) and found the car actually had 130 000 km a year ago. I believe that now the guy he baught it from is looking at some sort of criminal charges.

xkon
02-09-2004, 06:56 PM
there are definately fines for this, and a car dealer can lose their licence. Not cool at all, and jail time is also not out of the question!

Ajay
02-09-2004, 07:18 PM
I had a shaky speedo with my old 90 Cavalier Z24 and it checked out fine when I took the VIN to a registry office.

My shaky speedo was caused by a bad connection with the speedo needle that caused it to click as it went up as well.

Wouldn't say that a shaky speedo is a sure sign of dash tampering...could be but not always.

legendboy
02-09-2004, 08:18 PM
rolling back a speedo has nothing to do with the spedo needle shaking. in 1/2 the cases the numbers don't line up, the other half there is no way to tell except for service records at dealers. all places like canadian tire and midas keep service records by plate number not vin number so your shit out of luck.

Golf IV
02-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
I had a shaky speedo with my old 90 Cavalier Z24 and it checked out fine when I took the VIN to a registry office.

The registries can tell you?? How do they know how many kms the car should have? I never have to state the kms when registering/renewing my liscence. I thought they could only tell you stuff like leins and salvage status and stuff.

By making it mandatory to state/prove kms on a car at registration/renewal this could probably help. I wonder why they havn't implemented something like that.
:dunno:

Xtrema
02-09-2004, 08:33 PM
My 8yr old Civic's speedo sometimes shakes or not work at all. 1 owner and no tempering with odometer. And I know tons of other people with older car has shaking needle. So this is not an accurate way to determine.

t3rry
02-09-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by MM99lude
I know a guy who baught a 2000 Maxima with 90k Km and then found out that the odometer had been rolled back, and he went to the police and they are currently investigating the situation.

But first he went to the guy who he baught it from offered to sell it back to him at the price he paid and forget the whole thing, the guy refused, and claimed it haden't been touched. So he went found the old service records ( had to go all the way back to Ontario) and found the car actually had 130 000 km a year ago. I believe that now the guy he baught it from is looking at some sort of criminal charges.

well they gotta prove it was him that rolled it. he could make up some BS bill of sale saying he bought it from joe blow and they cant prove he didn't and they cant prove that "joe blow" didn't turn it back. since you dont have to get any contact info from the seller... he could make up a name that they could never find

Mike09
02-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Check the screw's behind the dash fo rthe cluster to see if there is any visable damage like stipped screw's or marks on the wiring harness's from being forced apart. Not the best way but it might work.

Zero102
02-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Golf IV
On the registration renewal notices. They mention the voluntary odometer program. However it is not law yet.
I reported my km's when I registered. They asked me if I wanted to, so I said 'sure' hoping the PO's did as well, nope.
But now mine are on file =)
But yes, it should be law. In many places in the US it is.

xkon
02-11-2004, 12:37 AM
the registration slips now have a voluntary space to write the mileage on the car when it was sold, and they asked me the last time i renewed as well if they wanted me to report my current odo reading on the car

teg_star
02-11-2004, 01:11 AM
^^ im kinda lost....so is ZERO sayin that its not illegal or somethin to rollback ur odometer?

Ben
02-11-2004, 02:01 AM
Yeah, def. dont assume that because the Needle shakes, the speedo has been tampered with, thats almost always the WRONG assumption. With older cars, plastics weeken and can break causeing movement in the speedo cable and such, this can result in a shaky needle. My car shakes at speeds under 50km/h because of a tiny broken plastic clip. And same goes with numbers not lining up. Most older cars dont just because of the mechanism that turns them all. It may take a couple KM for all the numbers to align when you roll over 100000k or whatnot.

I would look for any noticable damage or striation on the cluster its self. Checking with registries and shops is a walk in the dark, but MIGHT turn something up :)