PDA

View Full Version : Warning: 32ave NE Mr.Lube

BrknFngrs
08-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Just thought I would warn everyone about the Mr.Lube on 32nd ave NE (same parking lot as A&W, by Sobeys, etc)

I had issues with them in the past regarding a stripped oil pan and I was able to come to a satisfactory resolution with the previous management. So I go in today to get my last free oil change and their is new managment. I tell the tech's that my file with them notes my scenario and how I am entitled to one last free oil change, they look at, call the management over, he looks at it and walks away, saying nothing to me.

I assume it all makes sense to them and they continue doing my engine flush, oil change, etc etc and at the end they attempt to bill me for the oil change. I point out that this is a mistake, the manager comes back over, seems agitated and asks me if I have a hardcopy showing that I am owed this, I say No but point out that I read it off THEIR screen (along with him, and 3 other techs). After he goes off without saying anything to his office he comes back, clearly pissed off, and begins to tell me how he doesn't have to honor anything because the agreement was made with old managment, after a brief discussion my bill is corrected.

They clearly tried to "sneak" the charges past me, which is shady, the new manager was unprofessional and I was in awe when he claimed he did not have to honor the company's commitment since it was agreed to by old management. He also goes on to claim that the tech could just be a friend of mine who added that to my file today, which is a stretch considering the file in the computer was dated.

Anyway, not here to trash anybody, just wanted to tell everyone about the experience and let them make their own calls about what was right/wrong with the way it was handled.

On the off chance any of the tech's that work there are on beyond, you guys have for the most part always done a great job for me and are always friendly to deal with so my issue is not with you guys, just the new management.

TheCheff
08-17-2007, 02:10 PM
pfft thats what u get for not doing your own fluids, how long does it take 20mins if that

JRSC00LUDE
08-17-2007, 02:15 PM
^

Really, you get a shithead manager trying to screw you out of something you are entitled too by not doing your own oil change? S.T.F.U.

edit - he can't do it himself anyways, his fingers are broken.

modded46
08-17-2007, 02:16 PM
You must not care about your car very much if you take it to Mr. Lube. IMO

GQBalla
08-17-2007, 02:21 PM
did you end up havin to pay for it?

Mr_ET
08-17-2007, 02:38 PM
OP sounds like a difficult customer if he got a bunch of free oil changes because of a stripped pan.

I would have just had them rethread it.

Or no wait I would have done everything myself in my garage:rofl:

BokCh0y
08-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

SilverBoost
08-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Personally, I'd never go back to a place for more "FREE OF" what they fucked up to begin with.

The manager should have said something before the oil change. He probably could have gotten away with not honouring it under new management, but why would he... it cost's like $50 dollars and then you don't have to worry about someone bad mouthing you. But I guess in the end it didn't work out that way for him.

Life's harsh.

ricosuave
08-17-2007, 02:59 PM
you better hope that they used new fluids for you...

ga16i
08-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by ricosuave
you better hope that they used new fluids for you...

or that there is actually fluids hahaha, don't piss off people working on your car if you don't know how to do it yourself! :) no way you'd know they're messing around w/ you

thrasher22
08-17-2007, 03:10 PM
^

Really, you get a shithead manager trying to screw you out of something you are entitled too by not doing your own oil change? S.T.F.U.

Not everyone has somewhere to do their own oil changes. :dunno:

This reminds me I need to change my oil today... or take it somewhere and pay for a knucklehead to do it...sigh

Ekliptix
08-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Where do people go for oil changes, for those who don't do it themselves?

JRSC00LUDE
08-17-2007, 03:14 PM
^

Thankfully I know three acura/2volkswagon/1 subaru mechanic so I always have someone trustworthy and meticulous to do whatever I need! :D

teknical
08-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
OP sounds like a difficult customer if he got a bunch of free oil changes because of a stripped pan.

I would have just had them rethread it.

Or no wait I would have done everything myself in my garage:rofl:

+1

ga16i
08-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
Where do people go for oil changes, for those who don't do it themselves?

If I had to, probably take it to a dealership or licensed mechanic's shop. Avoid fast lube places and crappy tire at all cost :D but... it's an oil change, no matter where you go, you'll probably end up with some dumbass changing it for you. As I understand it, the bottom of the totem pole starts with doing oil changes :)

JRSC00LUDE
08-17-2007, 03:25 PM
^

Or washing cars first haha.

I did have to go to a "great canadian oil change" once when I forgot to get it changed and wouldn't drive out to red deer without it. I was really nice to the kid doing it and he really liked my car and I couldn't have been more careful and considerate about that oil change if I would have done it myself and he slid me an extra litre of oil. I said thanks and he just said "thanks for talking to me about your car, most people with nice cars are just assholes."

Moral is, even a "dumbass" kid at a rip-off joint like that will likely do a good job if you treat him nice. :thumbsup:

modded46
08-17-2007, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by ga16i

If I had to, probably take it to a dealership or licensed mechanic's shop. Avoid fast lube places and crappy tire at all cost :D but... it's an oil change, no matter where you go, you'll probably end up with some dumbass changing it for you. As I understand it, the bottom of the totem pole starts with doing oil changes :)

+1 I would trust a dealership a lot more than Minute Lube places..

bignerd
08-17-2007, 05:15 PM
I don't think OP came on here looking to get flamed for not changing his own oil, probably thought he was doing some people a favor and he just gets burned. Perhaps this is a work vehicle or something or like someone else posted, maybe they live in a condo or apartment.

I find some of these places less shady as you are IN the vehicle when they change the oil, not like when you leave it at the dealership and your car comes back with a scratch on it somewhere or something.

BrknFngrs
08-17-2007, 05:18 PM
In regards to comments about me not changing oil on my own, its not that I don't know how, I use to do it myself when I had free access to a lift, now that I don't its not worth it for me. And the techs themselves were not the issue, as far as I'm concerned they were good today.

As for being a difficult customer and talk of how you would have just re-threaded my oil pan Mr_ET, I would have been all for that. When I talked to the original management I offered that as a solution, along with subsidizing the cost of another oil pan, but he said it was not possible to re-thread my car's pan and the only solution he could do was a few oil changes at no cost for me.

Like I said in my original post, take it as a warning of shady business practices. I know I don't agree with having to fight for something that you are entitled to through a previous negotiation, as JRSC00LUDE mentioned.

4doorj
08-17-2007, 09:28 PM
^

Originally posted by BokCh0y

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ca18det240sx
08-17-2007, 09:37 PM
I just would like to know how you strip a drainplug......thats rediculous. Not as bad as that guy on here who had the bmw dealership plug his drain with a "tree branch" LOL

thanks for the post man, i hope it sends a warning out to the ppl who dont change their own oil. To those giving him a hard time, how about YOU change YOUR oil by YOURSELF, and leave HIM to do what he wishes.

dr_jared88
08-17-2007, 09:56 PM
the reason i get somewhere to change my oil over me doing it by myself is to keep my stupid lubrico warranty honored. they require you to take it somewhere to get your oil changed and have them sign it and crap.

even though i do a way better job and trust my work so much more, i have to get these dumb asses to do it for me

l8braker
08-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by modded46
You must not care about your car very much if you take it to Mr. Lube. IMO

cocoabrova
08-17-2007, 10:19 PM
1) Due to warranty restrictions, owners would HAVE to take the car in for oil changes @ a shop-doing your own oil changes @ home would be grounds for the dealer/manufacturer to void your warranty.

2) Although Mr. Lube wouldn't have been my first choice, consumers *should* be able to take their vehicles to place like that and hope that they would do the job properly and incident-free.

3) Offering to re-tap the oilpan would be a) too labor-intensive for the shop if done properly by r & r'ing the oilpan and installing with a new gasket, therefore offering free oilchanges would be cheaper/safer for everyone in the long run and b) engine murder if the shop was to just re-tap the threads without pulling the oilpan, and letting the metal shavings stay in the oilpan.......

4doorj
08-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
1) Due to warranty restrictions, owners would HAVE to take the car in for oil changes @ a shop-doing your own oil changes @ home would be grounds for the dealer/manufacturer to void your warranty.

really????
so if you do your own oil changes, u have no warranty with the manufactuer???
if so that sucks

TomcoPDR
08-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj

really????
so if you do your own oil changes, u have no warranty with the manufactuer???
if so that sucks

I was told that as long as you docuement it and use factory approved parts (oil filter), you should be fine. The manufactuer can't stop you from where you get your oil changed, as long as it's changed.

So receipt date of oil purchased, oil filter (go get a dealer filter, or Fram), take photos of oil change and mileage.

cocoabrova
08-17-2007, 11:28 PM
I know for a fact that for aftermarket powertrain warranties, you HAVE to get your oil changed @ a shop (I had to read the fine print on my certificates to find that out)

88CRXGUY
08-18-2007, 12:14 AM
I don't know why people are flaming the op because he is coming to tell us a problem with a certain business, who gives a shit if he can't do his own oil changes. Everyone has differnet abilities in something and oil changes isn't his, who cares. The only thing that I don't get if they fucked up your oil pan why would take your car back there again? The person that is doing your car for 8 bucks an hour doesn't give a shit, it ain't there car. That's too bad to what happened to you car, but if they fucked you once there was nothing stopping them from trying again. Taking your car to Mr.Lube is like taking it to Canadian Tire, everyone knows not to take their car to Canadian Tire.

BigMass
08-18-2007, 09:55 AM
I take my S2000 to Mr Lube on 16th. Those guys are just awesome. They seem like they enjoy their work, take time doing it, are careful and look out for anything they think might be a problem. They comment if you're driving a nice car and are very friendly. I'm in an out in 10 min with zero hassle and great service. Maybe it's just that location.

max_boost
08-18-2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah I go to Mr.Lube all the time and haven't had a problem before. The oil change is more expensive than the dealers but they are pretty efficient for the most part and I like how you are usually finished in 20 minutes or less. Time=Money

Impreza
08-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
I take my S2000 to Mr Lube on 16th. Those guys are just awesome. They seem like they enjoy their work, take time doing it, are careful and look out for anything they think might be a problem. They comment if you're driving a nice car and are very friendly. I'm in an out in 10 min with zero hassle and great service. Maybe it's just that location.

Is that the one by Peter's drive-in?

BigMass
08-18-2007, 03:58 PM
yeah by peters

khtm
08-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
Doesn't Canada have something similar to the Magnuson-Moss Act?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

With my last "nice" car I did all my maintenance myself, was told to just keep a log of dates/mileage and receipts and there was no way that my warranty could be voided.

tomt64
08-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Come on guys, not everyone has space, tools or time to do an oil change. An oil change is just that.... an oil change. As long as the guy is not a complete retard you are ok, as long as the customer does his job and check for leaks now and again and the level of his/her oil is fine.

Me on the other hand I will never let anyone work on my car, thats my profession. Lets remember though we all at one point didnt know jack shit about cars.

That new manager sounds like a right bell end. :thumbsdow