PDA

View Full Version : The people who run Calgary are douchebags... any ever make a claim with them?

Redlyne_mr2
08-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Fucking city decides it will be a good idea to put large 4x8 foot, 4 inch deep holes in the middle of the road with no goddamn signs, no paint, nothing. In an attempt to slow down speeders these cocksuckers managed to tear off my front lip, splitter etc while doing 22 goddamn km per hour... if that!!! Has anyone made a claim with this city? Do they pay or do they jerk you around... the alderman of my area is in for a nice chat on monday.. cocksuckers:thumbsdow

JRSC00LUDE
08-17-2007, 11:47 PM
That sucks ass, especially that it happened to your car, that thing wrote the book on nice. Tough break man.

civicluva
08-17-2007, 11:48 PM
tell us where this hole is so that i don't end up damaging another set of 19 inch rims.

Redlyne_mr2
08-18-2007, 12:00 AM
Theyre all over the goddamn place in Killarney... Ive been literally crawling throuh my area because theyre everywhere.. a safe speed for me to take them was 5kmhr if that... I should have been going slower but christ, I was already lower than half the posted speed limit.. anyone have an answer for me yet.. I know benyl had issues with the city and potholes but I think those are treated differently. This is just plain dangerous, especially for people on motorcycles.

88CRXGUY
08-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Yeah I have noticed today when I was down by Mount Royal. Some of the holes were marked and others weren't. Thats shitty that they damaged your car, and as far as I am concerned the city should have to pay because there is no proper signage.

JRSC00LUDE
08-18-2007, 12:08 AM
make sure you have dated photo's of location/lack of signage/etc. before it changes. There is no way you should be made to pay for that. Similar situations in our city have resulted in the city paying for vehicle damage so hopefully you will get the same treatment. But photo, photo, and more photo will help your case immensely I'm sure.

96GrandAMGT
08-18-2007, 08:41 AM
dude good luck trying to make a claim i work for the city and they wouldnt fix my rims and alignment...it seems like the claims guy is never there.... deffinetly call the ur alderman

ricosuave
08-18-2007, 09:32 AM
yeah, its fair to paint all 15,000 city of calgary workers with one brush and call them names :rolleyes:

BigMass
08-18-2007, 09:40 AM
you're a Calgarian. It's your fault for not driving a Ram 3500 dually with a 30" lift and mudders.

Hash_man
08-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Give the city a call... get some estimates for repairs and be sure to document the whole thing.

About a year or so ago, my dad was driving down macleod when they were doing street cleaning... there was a guy cleaning gravel off the median just past cemetary hill, so my dad got in the furthest away lane... the guy saw him looked right at him and sprayed gravel right at his car.... which was like 6 months old at the time.

The car was completely covered in rock chips all over the one side like it had been sandblasted so the city ended up paying for a repaint of most of the car.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
you're a Calgarian. It's your fault for not driving a Ram 3500 dually with a 30" lift and mudders.

Yeah, what the hell were you thinking? :nut:

Toms-SC
08-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Call 311 and see whats up

max_boost
08-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Post pictures!! That's BS! Can you get compensated by the City?

Redlyne_mr2
08-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by ricosuave
yeah, its fair to paint all 15,000 city of calgary workers with one brush and call them names :rolleyes:
You must be one of the douchebags who works for the city. thanks for your contribution.

Thanks for the info guys, I talked to a guy I work with and he says he hit a hole years ago that wasnt marked by the city, blew out his shocks and they city replaced it. ill have pics up shortly

Redlyne_mr2
08-18-2007, 06:27 PM
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/Redlyne_mr2/000_0388.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/Redlyne_mr2/000_0395.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/Redlyne_mr2/000_0396.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/Redlyne_mr2/000_0397.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/Redlyne_mr2/000_0386.jpg

toomuchb00st
08-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Hey i damaged one of my rims on a pothole in the city. let me know how it turns out, maybe ill attempt to make a claim.

DC2
08-18-2007, 06:44 PM
i used to have that phone, that thing is about 2 inches deep than. thats CRAZY.

Good luck

lilmira
08-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Shit, they look like bus trap. What the heck are they doing?

doublepostwhore
08-18-2007, 07:14 PM
... owned

stevo 27
08-18-2007, 07:18 PM
reflyne dont tell me you ripped the lip off your deuce???:whipped:

Redlyne_mr2
08-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Shit, they look like bus trap. What the heck are they doing?
Our alderman thought it would be a great idea to put these in to slow people down... I guess that old hag didnt think about the people with ferraris, lambos, motorcycles and mr2s in the neighborhood.

Hash_man
08-18-2007, 07:23 PM
Damn ya thats bad...d efinately make a claim with the city... I'd say they should cover any repair costs for you

stevo 27
08-18-2007, 07:29 PM
i could see someone on a pedal bike going right over the handle if there not paying attention :rofl:

urban.one
08-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Contact Global news or the local CTV news.

Email them those pictures.

I didnt expect it to be that bad. I thought you were whining about hitting a pothole or something similar.

lilmira
08-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Our alderman thought it would be a great idea to put these in to slow people down... I guess that old hag didnt think about the people with ferraris, lambos, motorcycles and mr2s in the neighborhood.

Sometimes I wonder why we pay money to people who come up with stupid idea like this. Tell him/her that I have another great idea. Why doesn't he/she lie down in the middle of the road from time to time with bright colour clothing? I'll pay for that.

tictactoe2004
08-18-2007, 08:21 PM

Are you serious about those being there to slow people down? Where did you hear that? If you were driving down that street at night and didnt know the area, you could do damage to a stock vehicle going 40-45, never mind the actual speed limit of 50. I fully understand why you're mad as hell, i'm mad as hell just seeing those pictures.

403Gemini
08-18-2007, 08:25 PM
wow just looking at those pics i wouldnt even wanna take my car over those and its not even lowered yet

88CRXGUY
08-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Those are suppose to stop speeders, yeah the cars not the big fucken trucks. I wonder if the city has a plan for when those so called speed stoppers turn into giant pot holes.

Are these temporary? Are they going all over the city?

ricosuave
08-18-2007, 08:42 PM

You must be one of the douchebags who works for the city. thanks for your contribution.

yo man, i understand you're ranting and all, but back down alright?

where did you hear that those were put in 'to slow down speeders'? if anything they would change the speed limit, put in speed bumps... those look like street repairs that arent fixed yet.

and yes, i do agree that they should be marked.

88CRXGUY
08-18-2007, 08:54 PM
^^some of them are maked with construction signs as speed bumps, but there were alot more that weren't.

We should list the streets of where these are so that we can keep an eye out. I'm sure no one wants damage bodykits, rims etc, they're expensive to fix.

Mckenzie
08-18-2007, 09:11 PM
I went through the same crap with city claims....I hit an exposed manhole cover at about 1-- km'hr on Crowchild....no signs or anything and this lip was huge! [They were paving]

Long story short, I took lots of pics and included a ton of details in my claim and 3 months later I got about $1400 out of them. :thumbsup:

sorry to hear about that man...good luck@!

canuckcarguy
08-18-2007, 09:15 PM
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen to slow down speeders. Notice how the room between them would motorcycles to speed if they notice them... or crash if they don't.

Without signs you must have a case. Hell, if I lived in Calgary and had a vehicle with a broken front valence, I might just head on over and sign up for my free repair before the signs go up... not that I'm actually endorsing this!

Dayclone
08-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeh it happened to my buddy before.. and goodluck! you can't get shit otta the city cause they'll deny it and make excuses but goodluck bro.

spikerS
08-18-2007, 09:39 PM
The city must pay for any damage. I have posted this before.

the 3 c's of responsibility.

1. CARE - The city of calgary is responsible for all repairs of city streets that are not designated highways. in the event it is a designated highway, like stoney trail, deerfoot, 16th ave, the alberta government shares most of the responsibility.

2. CUSTODY - the roads belong to the city of calgary, with the exception of the highways, see above.

3. CONTROL - City of Calgary decides where roads go, when to take a road out, when to widen it, if it should be a 1 way or not ect ect....

For any road construction, or weather related conditions ie: sink holes, pot holes, rough roads, heaves ect, are the responsibility of the city to fix. if they are not marked for construction, or if they are not fixed in a timely manner for anything else, the city is liable for any and all damages caused by the roads. Talk to any insurance company, and this is how they decide claims. Just like in the winter, if you do not shovel your walk, and someone slips on it, they can sue you, however, if it happens during a snowfall, the plaintiff has a much harder time.

take it to the city, explain it to them like this. if they still refuse, threaten them with a lawyer, you can goto legal aid for how easy of a case this will be for you, and they will pay up as they known they can't win and don't want the added costs of having to fight it in court.

any other questions, let me know.

m10-power
08-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Maybe they will start doing this on the higways around High River to slow down the exotics...

arian_ma
08-18-2007, 09:43 PM
:eek:
Going over that shit in ANY car would rape it!

TomcoPDR
08-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
:eek:
Going over that shit in ANY car would rape it!

Those things would swallow an entire SMART car live.

Canmorite
08-18-2007, 10:07 PM
The people who run Calgary

Haha :rofl:

im2fst4u
08-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :eek:

GQBalla
08-19-2007, 05:06 AM
shiettt - i hope the city will pay for the damages - best of luck

old&slow
08-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Any way to straddle that to the left a tad? Can really tell about the width of the wheel base!
One thing for sure people with cars will be driving real slow over those!

Lo)2enz0
08-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

thats an understatement

those thing are fucking dangerous. whats there stupid idea...people can but up there cars and learn not to speed. But those can cause some serious damage probably has bent a couple of sets of wheels by now

Maxt
08-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Its part of the retarded traffic calming measures they are instituting to try and make people not cut through communities, if they put half the effort into make the main thoroughfares flow that they did in making tank traps in communities it wouldnt be a problem...
Drive through Ramsey where they put speed bumps 8" high on a 50 km/hr roadway and meridian that forces you down to 25 km/hr to make the bend. There is no way in Ramsay they will be able to plow the roads with those crazy speed bumps and those opening pits in that picture are gonna trap melt water and be total ice hazards in chinook periods this winter...
All I can say , is I agree, the people in the city road engineering department are morons...
Its funny they call it calming, it makes my blood boil, and puts my blood pressure up..idiots..

/////AMG
08-19-2007, 02:54 PM
WTF! Why dont they put speed bumps instead? Atleast you can see them from a distance.

Strider
08-19-2007, 03:07 PM
I hate to sound like an ass... cuz i'm really not :angel: but does anyone else think that people who drive lowered and kitted cars should suck it up and accept potential damage from potholes/bumps as a part of the risk/consequence of having their car modded?

Do you guys realize that when you cash in and "get $1400 out of them" (to quote someone else in this thread) it's really coming out of your own, and other taxpayers pockets? Although I'm sure more than half the people in this thread don't even pay taxes...

I can appreciate a nice looking car that's tastefully modded as much as the next guy, but I hate the thought of paying for the privilege of seeing it.

Stock FTW!

ZIPPPP... flame away

Maxt
08-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Just go buy some buckets of cold patch asphalt and fill them in, as long as you have a white truck nearby and about 10 guys leaning on shovels smoking while you do it, nobody will blink an eye..

7thgenvic
08-19-2007, 06:02 PM
fucking terrible .that shit would rip my entire bumper off if i didn't ese that at night.

1-Bar
08-19-2007, 06:04 PM
sorry to hear, especially after seeing your gem of a ride last week.

962 kid
08-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Strider
I hate to sound like an ass... cuz i'm really not :angel: but does anyone else think that people who drive lowered and kitted cars should suck it up and accept potential damage from potholes/bumps as a part of the risk/consequence of having their car modded?

Do you guys realize that when you cash in and "get $1400 out of them" (to quote someone else in this thread) it's really coming out of your own, and other taxpayers pockets? Although I'm sure more than half the people in this thread don't even pay taxes...

I can appreciate a nice looking car that's tastefully modded as much as the next guy, but I hate the thought of paying for the privilege of seeing it.

Stock FTW!

ZIPPPP... flame away

Don't like paying for other people's modded cars? Then find out which alderman had those put in and then give her an earful. Do you think it's fair that redlyne pays the government to take care of the roads, only to have them make it so unusable that it destroys his car and has to pay for that as well? Hell no.

Kona9
08-19-2007, 07:49 PM
I could be wrong, but I do believe those will not stay in that form. I believe that is the first part of the process before they actually pave the square pyramid like speed bumps over top. There are a bunch in the Mount Royal area in and around the Sifton Elbow areas.

I live in Killarney and have noticed the speed holes/bumps going in as well. Living right on a corner with a stop sign, it is amazing how many people blow the stop sign and at a good clip too. Traffic definitely needs to slow down around here.

sxtasy
08-20-2007, 10:56 AM
you can't win in Calgary, for most of the year roads are unplowed covered in ice and snow, then it melts and the roads are covered with rocks. Then almost every road has some sort of half finished shitty patch it up construction work in the summer

JRSC00LUDE
08-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Strider

Stock FTW!

ZIPPPP... flame away

Take your stock car through there at 50km/h and tell us how you make out.

E46..sTyLez
08-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Take your stock car through there at 50km/h and tell us how you make out.

:werd: anything but a truck will be in deep shit. I know a stock E46 would probably be fucked from that trap! not to mention the fact that sopme E46 M3's come with 19" rims...stock.

Toms-SC
08-20-2007, 01:18 PM
Ryan can we get an update please?

cloud7
08-20-2007, 01:56 PM
apparently this is the preparation work for the installation of "speed cushions", which allows transit and emergency vehicles to pass without going over the bumps. See Link.

http://trafficlogix.com/speed-cushions.asp

It is quite disturbing that no warning or construction signs were put up to warn drivers of the deep holes...

mr2mike
08-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Ouch, I know my car would not pass that.

Same with the speed bumps in the Crowfoot parking lot by Auto Value. They're mountains. I didn't even try my car on them. I had to back up and find a way without the bumps.

I like the Westhills long speed bumps. if you're driving fast, you'll fly off them but going slow its a gradual rise, all cars can get over them.

Redlyne_mr2
08-20-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Ryan can we get an update please?
Talked to Rod Jones @ the city of Calgary, decent enough guy. Told me to get pics, appraisals etc. do a write up on the situation. If anyone else lives in that area call 311 and make a complaint with roadsways , theyre all over the place.. the more people the better. Much thanks to Speedtech and Screamin for getting everything ordered up and on the way.

ninjak84
08-21-2007, 10:17 AM

You must be an 18 year old bitch with no hair on your balls.

No? Then quit fucking acting like it :thumbsup:

Or accuse me of working for "The City" :rolleyes:

JRSC00LUDE
08-21-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by ninjak84

And you must be incapable of reading a thread before posting like a jackass as he was talking to ricosuave, who has confirmed by his reply that he does indeed work for the city but not in that dept.

Reading comprehension>you. :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :barf:

In fact, have you even posted in this thread yet till now? I'm confused.....

teggypimp95
08-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Last year i bent 2 rims and poped 2 tires on a city unmarked pot hole. Took pics and called them and they bought me 2 new rims and tires. I was pretty happy how they delt with with.

msommers
08-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I find it entertaining how the city has proposed to slow down community speeders. Like in Rosedale, where they put up giant speed bumps everywhere and damn traffic circles:banghead: Although, I think I'd rather take those than the giant pits you have on your street there:rofl: Best of luck with making a claim.

ninjak84
08-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
In fact, have you even posted in this thread yet till now?

Oh no ... Some random loser has stripped me of my credibility!

JRSC00LUDE
08-21-2007, 11:11 AM

Oh no ... Some random loser has stripped me of my credibility!

What? You've stripped yourself of your credibility? That wasn't very nice of you.

Oz-
08-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Just called in and lodged a "complaint" with the roads division. Ran into one on my way home yesterday, right in front of Killarney Elementary Schoool on 33rd street.

Zero102
08-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Time for a sidetrack, what car is that in the pics? Looks kinda neat with the wrap-around glass and all.

Oh, and when are you coming out to vernon? At least here they don't gouge huge holes in the road for no good reason :D

4wheeldrift
08-21-2007, 05:01 PM
It's a Toyota Sera I'm pretty sure.

sneek
08-21-2007, 05:12 PM
LOL I was given a pleasant surprise this afternoon by the city. There the a road closed sign in front of my house and they are digging something up :S There that construction vehicles everywhere and I can't go anywhere. I think that they are replacing/repairing the water line because I found some notice on my door saying that I would not have water tomorrow morning :confused:

Canmorite
08-21-2007, 06:31 PM
I drove through those today in my work truck. Even for a 1/2 ton it was rough.

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2007, 08:45 PM

Jesus man whats your problem.. I never said I had anything against you. Lets see how happy youd be if it was your car.

Toms-SC
08-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Lets take bets on how long until he sees money

I think 2 at the least

CivicTunr
08-21-2007, 10:07 PM
its the city, i say 1 month

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Lets take bets on how long until he sees money

I think 2 at the least
Just sent an email detailing the event to the city along with pics and an estimate... so we will see what happens.

barmanjay
08-22-2007, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by cloud7
apparently this is the preparation work for the installation of "speed cushions", which allows transit and emergency vehicles to pass without going over the bumps. See Link.

http://trafficlogix.com/speed-cushions.asp

It is quite disturbing that no warning or construction signs were put up to warn drivers of the deep holes...

I just went through that site,.. the installation section,.. cause I think these are a great idea for school/playground zones than anything else.

those can't be speed cushions,.. the speed cushion do not need a hole to be installed,.. so what the city decided to do here is wierding me out

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2007, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
Time for a sidetrack, what car is that in the pics? Looks kinda neat with the wrap-around glass and all.

Oh, and when are you coming out to vernon? At least here they don't gouge huge holes in the road for no good reason :D Hey buddy, Its a toyota sera, has gullwing doors from the factory.. not sure when the vernon thing is happening since I have a new job.. pm me so we can figure things out.

ZorroAMG
08-22-2007, 04:32 AM
5 bags of premixed cement plus a shovel all from home depot.....

Daan
08-22-2007, 04:41 AM
document
submit claim

the bureaucracy in Canada works great, but in 6 months you should have either a resolution or a decline

kenny
08-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Those pits are speed humps under construction. They're all over inglewood too. I hit one going about 25 - 30 or so at night and it sent a nice jolt thru my spine haha.

Luckily I wasn't driving anything of value :D

Redlyne_mr2
08-23-2007, 10:10 PM
So they put signs up now lol good thing I took pics earlier ... took them long enough.