PDA

View Full Version : Calgarians, Deal With It!

A790
08-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Alright, this is a bit of a rant, so bear with me.

Every time something tragic happens in Calgary there are always a slough of posts from beyonders to the effect of "Oh noes, what is this city coming to?" Alright, time for a realtiy check.

Calgary is a big city. Over a million people call Calgary home, and geographically it is one of the largest cities in Canada. Hundreds of millions of dollars of business go on every single day, and though the economy experienced a period of super-inflated growth, it is starting to level off into something that is sustainable. That's all good.

But along with the good comes the bad. There will always be poor, uneducated, unfortunate people. There will always be crime, hate, and animosity. That's what happens in large cities. The fact is that Calgary is a safe place to live, but the attitude of Calgarians needs to change. I'm sorry to say it, but you can't go beaking off to everyone anymore, because times have changed and so has the city.

Calgary has a lot to offer you, but shit does and will continue to happen. If you can't deal with it, move to Red Deer. All of the major cities in Canada are starting to experience the same kind of tragedies and crime that Calgary is experiencing.

So, that's it. Deal with it. Shit will happen. It's unfortunate, but let's get real here: Calgary experiences less than 30 gun-related murders a year, and we're talking a city and surrounding area with a population exceeding 1.1 million people. Seems like good odds to me.

/rant

Fcuk
08-18-2007, 11:25 PM
I couldn't agree more, well said sir.

ca18det240sx
08-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Agreed.

Mr_ET
08-18-2007, 11:35 PM
I usually compare this to Montreal where I spent 10 years of my life and we are doing pretty decent here.

I guess I've just become somewhat immune to it over time.

If you don't hang out in bad spots, are not a shady person and don't run after trouble you'll be fine:thumbsup:

unless you're REALLY unlucky;)

spikerS
08-18-2007, 11:38 PM
that's right, we will deal with it, in efforts to stop the crime in the city so that we can all be safe.

it has been proven many times over that posting on here can solve crimes.

I am not going to DEAL WITH IT and let it slide just because of the excuse oh we are a big city now, like it makes it all better.

the tone of this post seems to me that, oh well, it is gonna happen anyways, might as well look the other way.

A790
08-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by spikers
that's right, we will deal with it, in efforts to stop the crime in the city so that we can all be safe.

it has been proven many times over that posting on here can solve crimes.

I am not going to DEAL WITH IT and let it slide just because of the excuse oh we are a big city now, like it makes it all better.

the tone of this post seems to me that, oh well, it is gonna happen anyways, might as well look the other way.

Yea bud, that's what was said :rolleyes:

I'm not saying to stop posting on beyond. I'm saying to quit claiming that the sky is falling every time something happens. It's as if your safety is so uncertain that people are afraid to walk down the street, and you seem to be one of those people that would run for the hills if something happened in your neighborhood.

The reality is that Calgary IS A BIG CITY WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT. Don't complain about how bad the city is getting every time something happens- maybe instead of complaining you should take proactive steps in DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

msommers
08-19-2007, 01:13 AM
I agree with you for the most part here. The things that are happening in our city are inevitable and from here on in will never decline.

I have however, lived here my entire life. The whole attitude of Calgary has changed drastically. Maybe it's just me, but the generic persona of a Calgarians seem selfish, needy, complaining about everything and don't bother help each other in the fact that they need to better themselves over someone else. Obviously, and I'd like to repeat this, obviously this ISN'T everyone so don't bitch to me, this is entirely my perspective. A city can grow large but that doesn't mean people have to turn into dicks. Maybe some can't cope with change...who knows.

kvanderlaag
08-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Hear hear, OP.

old&slow
08-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Well I guess if we can't stop it and it's happening everywhere then we must lose hope and give up...

A790
08-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by old&slow
Well I guess if we can't stop it and it's happening everywhere then we must lose hope and give up...

Read the thread and then reply, kay?

finboy
08-19-2007, 08:29 AM
can we make you stop posting on beyond too? :thumbsup:

A790
08-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by finboy
can we make you stop posting on beyond too? :thumbsup:

Nope. I'm here to stay :)

reno97637
08-19-2007, 09:41 AM
I come from Winnipeg and I'm used to hearing news like this. I think it was 2003 or 2004 where there was a murder every other weekend for the entire year. Winnipeg's people didn't go crazy and start hiding in their homes, instead, the Government stiffened up their laws and crime went down.

A790
08-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by reno97637
I come from Winnipeg and I'm used to hearing news like this. I think it was 2003 or 2004 where there was a murder every other weekend for the entire year. Winnipeg's people didn't go crazy and start hiding in their homes, instead, the Government stiffened up their laws and crime went down.

Exactly. Instead of complaining about what the city is coming to, take proactive steps within your community to make a difference. Complaining that the city has gone to hell will do nothing to change it.

Jayson
08-19-2007, 12:29 PM
good post i agree with ya there... i've lived here all my life as well, and although the city has changed, and there are more and more violent crimes, it does not make it a bad city... nor does it mean that calgary is going to shit...

This is what happens in a growing city... we do not have it as bad as TO, or Montreal, or even Vancouver...

A790 is simply trying to say that even if and when bad things happen, it doesn't make calgary a bad or dangerous city to live in. and a lot of the posts that are made are a little over board... MOST the violent crimes that happen here, are for the most part are targeted crimes and happen to people that are involved in bad stuff... So when people post, "OMG what has our city come to??? I'm moving to a smaller town!!" It seems kind of ridiculous at times to read posts like that because most of the violent crimes will probably never effect the people posting stuff like that, unless you are directly involved in that shit... that's just my 2 cents...

A790
08-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Jayson
good post i agree with ya there... i've lived here all my life as well, and although the city has changed, and there are more and more violent crimes, it does not make it a bad city... nor does it mean that calgary is going to shit...

This is what happens in a growing city... we do not have it as bad as TO, or Montreal, or even Vancouver...

A790 is simply trying to say that even if and when bad things happen, it doesn't make calgary a bad or dangerous city to live in. and a lot of the posts that are made are a little over board... MOST the violent crimes that happen here, are for the most part are targeted crimes and happen to people that are involved in bad stuff... So when people post, "OMG what has our city come to??? I'm moving to a smaller town!!" It seems kind of ridiculous at times to read posts like that because most of the violent crimes will probably never effect the people posting stuff like that, unless you are directly involved in that shit... that's just my 2 cents...

Exactly. :)

max_boost
08-19-2007, 04:17 PM
:werd:

gatorade
08-19-2007, 07:04 PM
word, the people who whine the most about crime usually the ones least affected and have the least to worry about.

All the stabbings, shootings, gang violence incidents have been going on for years, and I know that some of the guys here have been in the game and grown up in it, but the people who haven't experienced shit seem to do all the whining.

SoSlowDx
08-19-2007, 07:08 PM
It's the media that's trying to scare people. If you look at the stats we're a pretty safe city.

Nissanaddict
08-20-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by reno97637

That's why I'm rather de-sensitized myself. I moved from North End Winnipeg in 98 (right on the border with West Kildonan area). Brutal brutal brutal. Calgary has less total murders than Winnipeg yearly I believe. Per capita, Winnipeg is much, MUCH worse. Winnipeg isn't the bottom of the barrel either. That said, don't hesitate to post useful info about crimes.

A790
08-20-2007, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
That said, don't hesitate to post useful info about crimes.

Of course not. Information is important, so share it!

soupey
08-20-2007, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by msommers
I agree with you for the most part here. The things that are happening in our city are inevitable and from here on in will never decline.

I have however, lived here my entire life. The whole attitude of Calgary has changed drastically. Maybe it's just me, but the generic persona of a Calgarians seem selfish, needy, complaining about everything and don't bother help each other in the fact that they need to better themselves over someone else. blah blah blah

move to new york like me and say that anyone in calgary is generally "selfish and greedy",

its not til u move to america that u realize that canadians have a much more helpful attitude towards others, u'll never hear anyone say "sorry" automatically when they run into you on the road/bus/subway here. and out of the bigger cities in canada, i'd say that Calgary is prettymuch the overall nicest city ive been to, nowhere else do you see randoms that help out strangers when its cold out and their cars have broken down.

sure calgary has changed over the last few years but its still a safe city to live in, the crime seems relatively limited compared to where the population sits at...

Trini
08-20-2007, 10:09 AM
well said man

msommers
08-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by soupey
move to new york like me and say that anyone in calgary is generally "selfish and greedy",

its not til u move to america that u realize that canadians have a much more helpful attitude towards others, u'll never hear anyone say "sorry" automatically when they run into you on the road/bus/subway here. and out of the bigger cities in canada, i'd say that Calgary is pretty much the overall nicest city ive been to, nowhere else do you see randoms that help out strangers when its cold out and their cars have broken down.

sure calgary has changed over the last few years but its still a safe city to live in, the crime seems relatively limited compared to where the population sits at...

If by "few years" you mean 15 years-ish. I've never said Calgary is an unsafe city to live in. Moreover, what you explain is the exact reason why I will never live in the States, although I can't exactly paint the entire American population attitude with one brush based on New Yorkers, who already have a tough, upfront attitude which is widely known.

It's actually quite funny how some people are bitching about people bitching. What do you propose as ideas that will rectify the situation? I'm all ears.

Eleanor
08-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict

That's why I'm rather de-sensitized myself. I moved from North End Winnipeg in 98 (right on the border with West Kildonan area). Brutal brutal brutal. Calgary has less total murders than Winnipeg yearly I believe. Per capita, Winnipeg is much, MUCH worse. Winnipeg isn't the bottom of the barrel either. That said, don't hesitate to post useful info about crimes.

I'm from Winnipeg as well and I thought we had the most murders per capita in the country?

For this city, if you aren't involved in gangs or drugs or w/e, you're pretty much fine. Innocent people are rarely the ones getting killed. If you look at the number of non-gang related killings, i don't think they've changed much.

tirebob
08-20-2007, 02:53 PM
I grew up in a really nice little small town in the mountains of B.C.

When we moved there, there was only around 800 people in the town and maybe 1600 in the entire surrounding area encompassing 3 other unincorporated settlements. Today there is maybe 1200 people in the town and 2500 in the area. Since 1975 there have probably been a total of 8 or 10 murders in the area, and that is in like 32 years...

Now this may not sound like a lot, but if you break it down per capita, you stand a way bigger chance of being murdered in the beatiful, quiet little small town than you stand getting murdered in ANY Major city in North America...

My point being that the newspapers sell sensationalism... They make everything seems more crazy than it really is, so in turn people get all worked up thinking that the life is coming to an end in their city when in reality it isn't really affecting the vast majority of peoples lives in any way whatsoever, other than they feel they need to watch the news more in case their neighbor is one of these murderers...

Absolutely we shouldn't just turn and look the other way and not give a fuck, but jeebuz... we are not living in a warzone or anything... we sure have it a helluva lot better than most! Just be somewhat pro-active and do what you can to positively affect those around you and not get chruned up into a frenzy about what the news mongers want to dish you...

Jayson
08-20-2007, 05:17 PM

its not til u move to america that u realize that canadians have a much more helpful attitude towards others, u'll never hear anyone say "sorry" automatically when they run into you on the road/bus/subway here. and out of the bigger cities in canada, i'd say that Calgary is prettymuch the overall nicest city ive been to, nowhere else do you see randoms that help out strangers when its cold out and their cars have broken down.

When i was in seoul, i went to a mall and made the mistake of holding a door open for an old lady.... there was a truck load of people behind me, and I ended up standing there holding the door for 5 min without anyone saying thank you or nothing... haha

D. Dub
08-20-2007, 06:36 PM

When i was in seoul, i went to a mall and made the mistake of holding a door open for an old lady.... there was a truck load of people behind me, and I ended up standing there holding the door for 5 min without anyone saying thank you or nothing... haha

I'd have starting tripping them :D

dericer
08-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Why do we have to accept it?

How about getting involved, and trying to do something about it?

-Volunteer for the Police, http://ccrwa.com/

-Join Community block watch.

us being complacent is exactly how criminals graduate from 2 bit wannabe's to violent offenders.

TegLover
08-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by A790

Were you born and raised in Calgary?

A790
08-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by TegLover

Were you born and raised in Calgary?

Born and raised. I've seen the city go through economic disaster (can we say mortgage bomb in the 80s?) and fiscal superstardom (today). Just because I spend 8 months of the last 2 years in London, ON doesn't mean that I've lost touch with Calgary.

But trust me, things are very different in other areas of the country, and compared to some areas Calgary is a godsend.

A790
08-20-2007, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by dericer
Why do we have to accept it?

How about getting involved, and trying to do something about it?

-Volunteer for the Police, http://ccrwa.com/

-Join Community block watch.

us being complacent is exactly how criminals graduate from 2 bit wannabe's to violent offenders.

Who's saying to look the other way here? Read the posts that have been made and just about every single one of them talks about getting involved and doing something as opposed to whining and complaining about how Calgary is falling apart.

JAYMEZ
08-20-2007, 07:49 PM
:werd: , people here think we live in paradise and nothing bad happens... wakkeee up. This is ALWAYS going to happen in our city.

A790
08-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
:werd: , people here think we live in paradise and nothing bad happens... wakkeee up. This is ALWAYS going to happen in our city.

No matter where you live, things will happen. It's a fact of life that we need to learn how to handle.

TegLover
08-20-2007, 08:10 PM

Born and raised. I've seen the city go through economic disaster (can we say mortgage bomb in the 80s?) and fiscal superstardom (today). Just because I spend 8 months of the last 2 years in London, ON doesn't mean that I've lost touch with Calgary.

But trust me, things are very different in other areas of the country, and compared to some areas Calgary is a godsend.

Maybe i appreciate Calgary more then.

I don't go "beaking" off but when fellow Calgarians are doing it i don't have a problem with it. Its our city and seeing shit like that going on is not going to go down smooth on me.

You basically criticized yourself in your original post; "If you can't deal with it, move to Red Deer."
Well look who needs to get the fuck out!

Call us old school but thats the way it is do deal with it, hypocrite!

iceburns288
08-20-2007, 09:44 PM

Hey hey now, I 'strongly dislike' them Yanks :p. You should come down here and test our southern hospitality: it's unmatched:thumbsup: .

A790
08-20-2007, 09:59 PM

Maybe i appreciate Calgary more then.

I don't go "beaking" off but when fellow Calgarians are doing it i don't have a problem with it. Its our city and seeing shit like that going on is not going to go down smooth on me.

You basically criticized yourself in your original post; "If you can't deal with it, move to Red Deer."
Well look who needs to get the fuck out!

Call us old school but thats the way it is do deal with it, hypocrite!

Alright dude, without resorting to calling you an idiot and telling you to get your head out of your ass, I'm going to clearly and concisely outline for you exactly the point that I'm trying to get across is (even though most people seem to get it).

Calgary is a big city, and things are going to happen- that part of life grows just like the rest of it. As Calgary grows, so will the number of incidents that happen. It's not because the city is unsafe or because it's "going to hell" (as is a rather popular expression), but because with more people come more problems, tensions, etc.

Essentially, I'm sick and tired of hearing people complain about how bad Calgary has apparantly gotten, yet when you look at the numbers it's actually one of the safest cities anywhere to live. If someone is going to constantly whine and complain about moving to INSERTTOWNNAME because of how bad Calgary is getting, rather than bitch about it, just DO IT. I'm content to live in a city that is safe, secure, and satisfies me in every way.

Stop complaining, stop whining, and either do something about it, or leave. Yea, I said it. Leave if you can't handle it- you'll discover that it doesn't matter where you live, bad things happen.

Now, I thought that I had made this clear throughout the various posts I had made in this thread, but I hope this establishes it once again for you. Don't preach to me about what you appreciate more than I do or who needs to get the fuck out. I'm damn proud of who I am and where I came from, so maybe learn some basic reading comprehension before opening your trap, kay?

01RedDX
08-20-2007, 10:23 PM

A790
08-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

haha you were born in '86, that's cute

Lol, I never said that I remembered it

civic_stylez
08-20-2007, 10:56 PM
I have to agree, i love this city, it irks me when people say its a shit hole and is going down the drain. Our family comes from Northern Ireland where you can be beaten to death just for being a catholic or prodistant.... i truly believe that if you go looking for trouble, you will find it. But there is still no part of this city that i am "scared" to go to. I dont stray away from downtown nor do i fear walking at night. i just believe in being aware or your surroundings and doing what you can to make this city a better place. if you see a crime, report it. if everyone does a little to help, the city will continue to grow for the better. Crime will always exist but if criminals know that calgary citizens are not tolerant of it, it will make it more difficult for them.

TegLover
08-20-2007, 11:12 PM

If someone is going to constantly whine and complain about moving to INSERTTOWNNAME because of how bad Calgary is getting, rather than bitch about it, just DO IT. I'm content to live in a city that is safe, secure, and satisfies me in every way.

Stop complaining, stop whining, and either do something about it, or leave. Yea, I said it. Leave if you can't handle it- you'll discover that it doesn't matter where you live, bad things happen.

I'm damn proud of who I am and where I came from, so maybe learn some basic reading comprehension before opening your trap, kay?

calling me an idiot? stfu you whiny bitch. You just can't accept the fact that YOU should probably get the fuck out if you can't handle it so take your head out of your ass and accept thats nothings going to change by you making this stupid thread. So what the fuck are you doing about it? oh right you made this thread, great job. So leave if you can't handle it you hypocrite.

Stop trying to introduce new arguments here just to save yourself from looking like a whiny douche bag. You told people to leave because of how sick you are of hearing them "beaking", now you are saying people should leave because you are sick of hearing them wanting to move away from Calgary. So which is it? or do you just love to argue over the internet? is that some kind of fetish you get off from you fag.

don't come here to try to assure me how GREAT, and SAFE Calgary is, save it and tell me something i didn't know.

"I'm damn proud of who I am and where I came from"

Thats good, i'm proud of who i am and where i came from as well but i'm also proud of where i live (Calgary). You don't sound like you like it here too much, i can guarantee you it wouldn't hurt us if you fuck off somewhere else.:thumbsup:

Jayson
08-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by D. Dub

I'd have starting tripping them :D

haha believe me i wanted to.... but i learned my lesson... i still held door's open for hot girls and elderly people... i just made sure there wasn't a fucken train load of people behind me... I just find that in a big city like seoul people are so busy that they just don't pay attention and mannerisms go out the door...

But you just realize after going to a big city like that, that Calgary is a good city to live in and there are still a lot of good people in this city...

TegLover
08-21-2007, 02:02 AM

But you just realize after going to a big city like that, that Calgary is a good city to live in and there are still a lot of good people in this city...

EXACTLY, telling Calgarians to "deal with it" or simply just "leave" is not exactly the attitude i agree with in our growing city. Thats what makes Calgary different than these big cities. I don't give a flying fuck how people are in big cities, i already know how they are and they sucks. The OP coming on here trying to get us to change our attitudes to being more like the people who live in these shit hole cities, all i have to say to that is FUCK THAT. Some of us actually have values towards Calgary believe it or not, doubt the OP was even born here, probably just trying to pig off our wealth.:zzz:

JRSC00LUDE
08-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by iceburns288

Hey hey now, I 'strongly dislike' them Yanks :p. You should come down here and test our southern hospitality: it's unmatched:thumbsup: .

I'll have to agree with this guy. Most of the friendliest people I've met/experiences I've had in different cities have been in the U.S.

And Calgary is nowhere close to dangerous yet.

A790
08-21-2007, 03:06 PM

calling me an idiot? stfu you whiny bitch. You just can't accept the fact that YOU should probably get the fuck out if you can't handle it so take your head out of your ass and accept thats nothings going to change by you making this stupid thread. So what the fuck are you doing about it? oh right you made this thread, great job. So leave if you can't handle it you hypocrite.

Stop trying to introduce new arguments here just to save yourself from looking like a whiny douche bag. You told people to leave because of how sick you are of hearing them "beaking", now you are saying people should leave because you are sick of hearing them wanting to move away from Calgary. So which is it? or do you just love to argue over the internet? is that some kind of fetish you get off from you fag.

don't come here to try to assure me how GREAT, and SAFE Calgary is, save it and tell me something i didn't know.

"I'm damn proud of who I am and where I came from"

Thats good, i'm proud of who i am and where i came from as well but i'm also proud of where i live (Calgary). You don't sound like you like it here too much, i can guarantee you it wouldn't hurt us if you fuck off somewhere else.:thumbsup:

LOL look at you. Did I ruffle your hair or something?

How about you just quit wasting your time, because yea, I'll fuckin argue with you all day. You want to start acting like your the man, go for it. I could give a fuck what some little cunt who starts beaking off thinks.

And I love how I apparently don't like it here too much... when did I say that? Oh, right, I didn't, you're just foaming at the mouth again. Sheesh, down boy.

A790
08-21-2007, 03:08 PM

EXACTLY, telling Calgarians to "deal with it" or simply just "leave" is not exactly the attitude i agree with in our growing city. Thats what makes Calgary different than these big cities. I don't give a flying fuck how people are in big cities, i already know how they are and they sucks. The OP coming on here trying to get us to change our attitudes to being more like the people who live in these shit hole cities, all i have to say to that is FUCK THAT. Some of us actually have values towards Calgary believe it or not, doubt the OP was even born here, probably just trying to pig off our wealth.:zzz:

LOL again with the making shit up. I have more of a right to be in my hometown than you do, so shut the fuck up. Pig off Calgary's wealth? Please.

Read and reread what I said dumbass. It's clear to me that reading comprehension > you.

TegLover
08-21-2007, 05:30 PM
do you know of or remember that special Olympics picture? well i can totally picture you being that kid...here why don't i show you.

http://www.brainfuel.tv/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/argue.jpg

You and your arguments are weak sauce, i'm done with you. Get a life, not in Calgary somewhere else please.
:clap:

A790
08-21-2007, 06:28 PM
do you know of or remember that special Olympics picture? well i can totally picture you being that kid...here why don't i show you.
http://www.brainfuel.tv/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/argue.jpg

You and your arguments are weak sauce, i'm done with you. Get a life, not in Calgary somewhere else please.
:clap:

Nice one bud. You should totally be a lawyer or something :) :thumbsup:

TomcoPDR
09-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Come on everybody, the WORLD is always changing at different places, different paces, it is what it is; people move/leave a situation (whether it's home, work, relationship, etc..) because we all try to find something better for ourselves/family.

I grew up (NOT born) in Calgary. So no, I don't have as much "seniority" as some of the people who's grandpa properly stole, I mean "bought" the land from Native Americans back when Alberta became a province back in Sept 5, 1905. <---- (in case some didn't catch the sarcastism; just cuz someone's born here doesn't mean they have more rights than others, there're always people who has deeper roots)

With that said, it's all about enjoying yourself, doing your own thing within the changing environment. Be good to your friends, be good to your family.

Try staying out in some of these small towns I work in, this one town offers lots for $200, that's right TWO HUNDRED (as in Rage2's 1 hour's wage), for as long as you build a house within 1 year; that's how small/slow this town is. For that I'm always happy to be back home, even paying big city prices/growing-pains.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/100_0957.jpg http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/100_0956.jpg