PDA

View Full Version : Poor Bass response

oaktree5
06-27-2003, 05:54 PM
I need the opinions of the group in regards to the sound system in my 2003 S55AMG. The car has a fully intregrated "Command System" including a Bose 10 speaker speaker system. The electronics suit works beautifully except there is virtually no bass response.

I had an S500 with the same problem and at least partially correctly it by installing a 10 inch free air subwoofer (Xtant) powered by a 120 watt Alpine subwoofer power amp. This dramatically improved the bass response, however it was by no means satisfactory. Bass response was still on the weak side and at higher volumes, there was distortion. An additional problem was the subwoofer frame projecting down into the trunk and thus reduced luggage space (not overly large to begin with). I purposely chose the specific subwoofer because it was only 5 3/4 inches deep. The stock Bose sub fits completely within the rear package tray and fires downward. Thus it does not compromise luggage space and , at least in my opinion, sounds like shit.

I am considering using the same power amp/sub combination in the S55 but would like to improve the sound quality even more. I have been reading this message board for quite a while specifically because you guys know more about this sort of thing than most people. Anyone have a better idea?

dogstar
06-27-2003, 06:41 PM
you could get a smaller sub, perhaps an 8" kicker solobaric.

they pound out the bass disproportionate to their size

bol
06-27-2003, 06:53 PM
if trunk space is a serious issue you'll have to go into a more custom install route (like an infinite baffle application with the subs mounted on the rear deck) or make a couple of custom fiberglass enclosures mounted at the top of the trunk on the rear deck, like the JL Stealth Box enclosures(but they don't make any for MBs afaik) That way you could probably manage dual 8's)

i think one of the bigger issues surrounding the poor bass response is the amount of insulation between the trunk and cabin of the car, mounting the subs infinite baffle on the rear deck would solve that, but in my opinion would be pretty tasteless in a S-class.

Your best bet... take it to the pros!

oaktree5
06-27-2003, 07:21 PM
I completely agree, I will have a pro do the job. I have heard that "twin eights'" produce thundering bass, but do not understand the audio principles behind the thought. In yesterdays parlance, size equaled power. Today that does not seem neccesarily true.

I am afraid to let an audio shop "sell me something" without having some knowledge about what works best. I don't mind spending money IF I get something of value for that money. If I get less bass response that what I am looking for, then everytime I get into the car I will be pissed. Not good.

I had a series of Chevy Surburbans (please don't laugh) that were tricked out. I paid in the $5000 to $6000 range for the sound systems and they sounded good. The big difference between the Suburban and the S55 is of course interior space. I could have put an entire recording studio inside the Chevy. My wife bitches horribly when she sees potential suitcase space taken up by "that ole SPEAKER!~). Thats why we used a "free air subwoofer". It did not require extra space for the enclosure, the trunk itself was the enclosure. Is that what you are saying when you use the term "infinite baffle application "?

That.Guy.S30
06-27-2003, 10:42 PM
maybe you should try and buy a infinity basslink. or somethin like that.. its a single 8 in its own inclosure, powered with an internal amp so you dont have to go buy one. or some type of sub that has its own small enclosure and is powered. like a bazooka basstube(looks like a nos bottle) its just a suggestion if room is tight

tctdmx
06-30-2003, 01:49 AM
JL Audio has got stealth install products with their infinite baffle and enclosure designs,

you can also check that out if you want to bro.

SplineZ
06-30-2003, 09:59 AM
Does it come stock with a factory sub? What size is that? 10"? 8"?

5 3/4" is pretty deep for a 10" sub.. my boston is only 4 1/2" deep for a 10" sub. Seeing as you have an inch and some to play with Check out a high end rockford or MTX sub, even a alpine type-r would fit nicely in there I believe...

Infinite Baffle systems dont really sound all that great, and will distort fairly quickly.. If it has to fit on the rear deck, you could get 2 8" subs, adn they'll have more sound than a 10"... reason why? More surface area on the cone... I am thinkin about going this way myself... I have very limited space aswell :)

Power it accordingly and you'll have a system with a little "kick"

James Z

oaktree5
06-30-2003, 03:37 PM
Hiya

It comes with a 10 speaker Bose sound system that is coordinated with the Mercedes Benz Command system. This "Command System" is the AM/FM/W-CD-GPS/Nav-Telephone (there are three phone lines in the car). All of the systems are voice controlled and and intregrated to work together. That means I can not change out the tuner/preamp/poweramp.

The speaker system is okay with highs and midrange sounds, but there is literally no bass response. In fact, with my last S series car, I had the stock Bose Subwoofer removed and put in the Xtant/Alpine poweramp/subwoofer combination alluded to in the above messages. When I got ready to trade in the S500 for the S55, I sent my wife down to the dealership and they put the stock system back in. When I next drove the car, it was with the stock system. The way it sounded I thought the dealership had not put anything back in the car and I was WITHOUT any subwoofer. I even put up the Bass gain all the way, and it did not make any difference. It ain't worth a shit!

The stock sub is a 12 inch unit that is only about 2" deep. It fits entirely within the rear package tray. It looks like a typical funky Bose self ported wierdo speaker.

The Xtant sub/Alpine poweramp did not sound all that great either. It would distort very easily. It was unable to "fill up" the interior with sound. You know what I mean?

Don't get me wrong, I love the car. The S55 is an unbelievable car to drive. There is enough available horsepower and torgue to amaze just about any driver at any speed. The engine works in a perfectly balanced chassis in conjunction with an ACTIVE suspension. The acceleration will literally wrinkle your cheeks when the accelerator is slammed. The only thing I do not like about the car is the sound system. I think the right combination of poweramp/subs will make it right. I just do not know the right combination.

rage2
06-30-2003, 04:06 PM
The most important thing with bass response is with enclosure designs. Pre-designed enclosures are usually designed with maximizing the output of the sub(s), so stuffing them in and wiring in the signal from the Command system is a good enough setup.

If you are opting for a custom designed box to fit the car nicely, make sure they know what they are doing. Just building a box that fits and stuffing 2 subs in there won't give you much bass, it's the tuning of the acoustics/venting of the subs that gives the big bass.

)v(ortal
06-30-2003, 06:31 PM
ok, ok, ok.... go to soundsaround.. get "dynamat" installed into ur trunk (or were ever ur puttin ur subs) its a installation.... then go and get either 1-2 type-s 10" subs.... get a custom box (fiberglass) and get a new amp Phoenix Gold Tantrum 300.2 amp.... bot the amps and the sub are small!!! and with the cuztom fiberglass box u will have a effient trunk space!!

-danny

p.s - ask for Drew, tell him Danny recommended him for u!! (hes the manajor of car audio for soundsaround inc.)

oaktree5
06-30-2003, 06:42 PM
:clap: Thanks! Now I got somethin' I can work with!! I appreciate it.

dj_honda
06-30-2003, 09:34 PM
since you seem to be into high end cars...:D, i would reccomend you go to audio concepts mobile or another specialized installer....because i wouldn't want 16 y/o's working on my s55...

oaktree5
06-30-2003, 10:07 PM
I sincerely appreciate your reply. I specifically started reading this forum some time ago because these guys think about cars all the time. Their rides and everything about them occupy a major part of their thinking. They were bought up watching the Discovery Channel and playing computer games whereas I cut my teeth on "The Little Rascals" and Bugs Bunny. They are much more intuitively knowledgeable about technology than I am, because that is the nature of their world.

I asked a Mercedes Benz forum the same question I asked here and received no answers or suggestions. These guys did not butt me around or make me feel bad because I was older. They approached my problem and have tried to help me find an answer. Man, I am sure not trying to give you a bad time, but hey, these guys are alright.