PDA

View Full Version : Can't Open Excel File

sl888
08-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Can't open my file. When I try my laptop freezes for a bit and/or everything lags. After a while a pop up with the message:
'File Name' cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only, or you may be trying to access a read-only location. Or, the server the document is stored on may not be responding.
I have the option of Retry or Cancel. When I click either my laptop does that freeze thing again and the only way I can close excel is using the windows task manager.
When I just open excel there's a data/file recovery message and tells me to click on the file I choose to save but when I click on any it freezes or whatever.
Any ideas how I can get to my file?? Thanks in advance.

eblend
08-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Is this file local on your computer or over the network? This could be an issue with the template used to create a file, which could be on a server which is not accessible from the computer you are trying to open the files with. Had this same problem on friday at work. If you let it sit long enough it will time out and open the document. Then if you go to template and addins you will see where the template points to.