PDA

View Full Version : PayPal question

e36bmw///
08-20-2007, 11:07 PM
nm

vietdood
08-20-2007, 11:19 PM
it has alot to do with people doing chargebacks on their credit cards so paypal goes after the seller for the money even if the buyer received their item.

e36bmw///
08-20-2007, 11:24 PM
nm

SteveyBoy
08-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by vietdood
it has alot to do with people doing chargebacks on their credit cards so paypal goes after the seller for the money even if the buyer received their item.

Sorry not thread jacking but i'd like to know a little more about this charge back issue i've heard people talk about it but never had a clue what it is?

e36bmw///
08-20-2007, 11:51 PM
nm

vietdood
08-21-2007, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
yea, but he accepts payment from US residents

as for this charge back thing, dont they ask you why u are doing it?

i think there's a few reasons. one reason i know of for sure is alot of international orders would be delivered by the courier but it's not updated as shipped on the tracking number so buyers open a paypal dispute saying they never received the item. Paypal would be in favour of the buyer so they would get the item and money would be reimbursed. i THINK another would be the chargeback issues. I remember a seller who had a buyer do a chargeback on their credit card after 1 year and paypal went after the seller to get the money back. it's hard to pursue someone in another country to get your money back then someone that resides in your same country.

vietdood
08-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by e36bmw///
id like to know too
any special procedures to take?

call your credit card company and say you ordered something over the net and it didn't arrive or it wasn't the same item described. after filling out a bit of paperwork over the phone the creditcard company reverses the transaction and paypal has to prove otherwise to reverse the reversed tranaction. if they can't prove it they go after the seller to get the money back by taking it out of their account or collection's agency.

oilerfan4lyfe
08-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Most US sellers will accept paypal payments from international buyers but only if the buyer is a verified paypal member - the reason for this is that if you are a seller and you accept payment for an item, just as long as you can prove with some sort of tracking that you sent an item to a verified buyer paypal protects you against chargebacks.

If the seller ships regular USPS parcel (or even airmail I think?) they don't get a tracking number though, so there's no way to prove that they shipped the item to you even if you are a verified member.

I know some US sellers don't sell to Canadian buyers just because they seem to have problems with lost items - which to me sounds like bullshit, unless the buyer lies about receiving the item or the seller doesn't send it. Maybe people will have differing opinions on this, but I've bought well over 50 things from the States/overseas and I've never had something lost in the mail (knock on wood).

I also think eBay is working on some sort of Chargeback insurance like thing for powersellers so that might help solve some of these problems too.

TomcoPDR
08-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by oilerfan4lyfe
Most US sellers will accept paypal payments from international buyers but only if the buyer is a verified paypal member - the reason for this is that if you are a seller and you accept payment for an item, just as long as you can prove with some sort of tracking that you sent an item to a verified buyer paypal protects you against chargebacks.

If the seller ships regular USPS parcel (or even airmail I think?) they don't get a tracking number though, so there's no way to prove that they shipped the item to you even if you are a verified member.

I know some US sellers don't sell to Canadian buyers just because they seem to have problems with lost items - which to me sounds like bullshit, unless the buyer lies about receiving the item or the seller doesn't send it. Maybe people will have differing opinions on this, but I've bought well over 50 things from the States/overseas and I've never had something lost in the mail (knock on wood).

I also think eBay is working on some sort of Chargeback insurance like thing for powersellers so that might help solve some of these problems too.

That pretty much sums it up :thumbsup:

But also realize that sometime for the odd reason, it does take over 4-5 weeks to ship something from the US to Canada. (remember all those double-bubble free beach balls, it said like expect 4 - 8 weeks :eek: )

USPS or just the United States has such a shear volume of population that shipping an entire parcle/package only takes a matter of 3-5 days, and that's "cheap" mail.

So if I was a US seller, and had a huge US client base, I probably wouldn't want to deal with the misunderstanding with the 4+ weeks when the international buyer isn't willing to pay for FedEx or something; but yet expects something right away. (now if that happens to you year after year selling on Ebay, wouldn't you change your shipping detination too?)