PDA

View Full Version : How much do Graphic Designers Make?

MintRacer
08-21-2007, 04:21 PM
I tried to google it, but it didn't really give me a local avg here in Calgary.

So what's the average wages someone can expect to be paid with a 2year diploma in graphic design?

wildkarrde
08-21-2007, 04:31 PM
Starting, you're looking at 35-40k depending on your skillset. Are you looking for print or web work?

SpoonEK9@STRD
08-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Beware, when choosing the course from SAIT. Digital Graphics Communications is not what it sounds like, its more of getting the graphics to paper and not making the graphics. If your looking at designing web/ads/banners and so forth, its New Media Production and design at SAIT.

Starting is usually 35,000 a year from a New media production and design student.

mac_82
08-23-2007, 10:39 AM
40-50 as a motion graphics designer (AFX+ps+ill) in the TV biz. You can make a lot more than that freelance, or a lot less depending on how much work/clients you have.

Fivewayradio
08-28-2007, 09:35 AM
A 2 year diploma won't give you much of a foot in the door. If you're really serious about graphic design get a degree from ACAD. Even then you'll only make 35k to start.

likwid
08-30-2007, 08:23 AM
The key to getting jobs in this field, especially web work, is having a great portfolio.

van
08-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by likwid
The key to getting jobs in this field, especially web work, is having a great portfolio.

A great portfolio is everything. You can learn a load in school but without a great looking and functional portfolio it's about worth nothing.

On average you probably start at 15/hr depending where you go and what you do (print or web), what company it is and how large they are. With about 2-3 years of working experience you can easily make upwards to 20/hr.

Most importantly you have to realize that you are not a doctor nor a engineer. People go in this field because they are artists and love to do what they do not for the money but for the passion.

If you want to get into Critical Mass (you should know who they are) you probably want to goto ACAD as they do favour ACAD graduates over anyone else.

Lastly, freelancing blows away any kind of normal income/salary. On the same note you have to really market yourself and get clients every single month. Small websites can generate a couple thousand dollars easily. In 40 hours you can make what most people make in 80. The only problem is... finding the work!

mac_gurl
08-30-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9@STRD
Beware, when choosing the course from SAIT. Digital Graphics Communications is not what it sounds like, its more of getting the graphics to paper and not making the graphics. If your looking at designing web/ads/banners and so forth, its New Media Production and design at SAIT.

Starting is usually 35,000 a year from a New media production and design student.

I took Digital Graphics at SAIT, and it was what I was after. You learn Indesign, Photoshop, and the printing process.
It took me awhile to get a job, but I finally got a job at a big printing company in the prepress department.
I started at approx. $40,000 but there is also a HUGE demand for overtime.

thrasher22
09-02-2007, 08:20 PM
If you're looking to do digital design I've heard good things about the New Media program at SAIT. Alot of the people I work with, took it. Its a mix of web development and graphic design, you do some animation and such too.

The Cosworth
09-02-2007, 08:37 PM
This is not directed solely at you but am seeing/hearing a lot about what would I make if I did this job, worked here, yada yada.

I can speak from experience that there are two certainties in your career/life.

1.) The day will come when the ol' mighty dollar is not the most important thing (for most people, there are exceptions, but I am not one) When looking for a job/career look at quality of life as well.
2.) The same people with the same background can make huge differences in salary depending on how lucky they go in their life, how smart they are (not always relevent), and how hard they work.

In no way was this meant to be just for you, but definatly something to think about. I am a SAIT grad (from the energy department) and love my job and decision I made to go there.

Good Luck

reiRei
09-02-2007, 08:49 PM

You couldn't be more wrong about that course. I am a graduate from that course, and it is a great overview of what's needed to get the design from concept to completion. As far as money-wise, it's all about your portfolio and what kind of company you get into..

I graduated from DGC, got a job at the sun.. I've been there for 2 years now, and am a production manager... the freelance stuff is great, do it on the side, and get a real job that'll pay the bills...

jdm_eg6
09-02-2007, 09:02 PM
with design schools the key is to not cheep out on schooling, finind a great school will give you a well rounded and professional approach to the feild and possible possisions.

Fivewayradio
09-06-2007, 09:30 AM
I guess a consideration that runs through most of these posts is how competitive the business is--it's really competitive. When you come out of 2 years of school with little or no real world experience and a portfolio full of student projects, you're going to wish you had an advantage over all your classmates, as well as all the guys from the 2 years before you who are still working at Starbucks and doing everything they can to get their foot in the door. And then you've got to think that there's also a whole bunch of guys who just graduated across the tracks who have 2 more years training than you do. With all those people looking for work, some of them will be willing to take a cut in pay to get a foot in the door.

I don't know what it's like now, but ten years ago when there were several schools offering 1 year new media programs I managed to get $15/hr at my first job. Those schools all closed so maybe things aren't as tight now.

Once you're in and have some experience and really start to build your portfolio you can make alright money. $60k isn't unreasonable for a designer. And I'm sure you could get more if you worked at the right place and you were good.

But as someone said, as a freelancer you can make quite a bit more. Average is somewhere around $60/hr. If you can work steadily, making a $100k is easy. But it's really hard to work steadily. You have to have great connections to do that.

Anyway, that's what I figure one can make as a designer. But as someone else said, you don't go into design to make money. You go into it because it's an immensely rewarding career. There really are very few jobs that will allow you to be as creative or are as diverse or as challenging as design. If you can get in, it's really one of the coolest jobs around.

khtm
09-06-2007, 09:52 AM
From the Alberta Salary Survey site, Graphic Designers in Calgary make an average of $43k.

http://www.alis.gov.ab.ca/wageinfo/Content/RequestAction.asp?format=html&aspAction=GetWageSalarySearch&Page=SearchSalary

Ouch.

SpoonEK9@STRD
09-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by reiRei

You couldn't be more wrong about that course. I am a graduate from that course, and it is a great overview of what's needed to get the design from concept to completion. As far as money-wise, it's all about your portfolio and what kind of company you get into..

I graduated from DGC, got a job at the sun.. I've been there for 2 years now, and am a production manager... the freelance stuff is great, do it on the side, and get a real job that'll pay the bills...

I graduated from both, and new media covers all of DGC where graphics is concerned anyways. But was referring to the name, digital graphics. You hardly learn anything about creating the graphics, their illustrator photoshop and web classes are so useless. :thumbsup: to print design....yay

reiRei
09-06-2007, 02:45 PM

I graduated from both, and new media covers all of DGC where graphics is concerned anyways. But was referring to the name, digital graphics. You hardly learn anything about creating the graphics, their illustrator photoshop and web classes are so useless. :thumbsup: to print design....yay

When did you graduate from DGC?

Most of my classes were design classes, sure there were a few classes on how to set things up for output, but as a designer, you need to know how to set up your work so it looks great, and prints as best as possible.

You could create a great flyer for an import show, but if you send a low res jpg (*cough*DTP flyer designer*cough*), your flyer is going to look like crap.

Splooge
09-11-2007, 02:50 PM
I just recently graduated from the 4 year Electronic Publishing program from MRC. From reading this forum it seems similar to the DGC program at SAIT (PS, AI, ID, QE), though I also learned some HTML, CSS, Flash, VB...IMO it wasn't too heavy with the web side of things though.

Yeah what people said earlier, I got into this field because I love the creative side of things (yeah I wish I could make more right now) but its pretty fun compared to most other jobs.

And I'm pretty sure experieced designers, like Art Directors are able to make more depending on which company they work for.

Portfolio's are key to finding a job! Your entire skill set and experience is pretty much expressed in your portfolio...so invest in a good one (I got mine from Mona Lisa).

And :werd: freelancing is a good way to make some extra cash on top of your existing job too.