PDA

View Full Version : higher horsepower in the winter

asp integra
08-22-2007, 12:27 AM
just wondering if you guys drive your higher horsepower cars in the winter, im doing a turbo upgrade to my gti and will be running about 300 wheel hp and i was just wondering if you think this would be a problem in the winter, i am getting brand new winter tires this year, and the power doest really kick in till about 3500, so what do you guys do? and i dont have enough cash to buy a beater either, this is my daily driver

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-22-2007, 12:28 AM
It's not how much Hp your car has, it's how you drive it that matters.

toomuchb00st
08-22-2007, 12:34 AM
^^^^:werd: :werd: :werd:

SteveyBoy
08-22-2007, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
It's not how much Hp your car has, it's how you drive it that matters.
Respect the winter man cause if you don't she'll own the shit out of you

Ekliptix
08-22-2007, 01:06 AM
The winter's like the sea, she's a sweet lady that can provide your family with a basket of fish, but turn your back on her and it's the last mistake you'll ever make.

Or don't treat your throttle like an on/off switch and get some real winter tires.

buh_buh
08-22-2007, 01:13 AM
I drove around with 300hp on summers for an entire winter a couple years ago. No problems here.

Team_Mclaren
08-22-2007, 02:41 AM
how is it even related? hell i can be driving the smart car and still break traction in winter. Its not like your high horsepower car only runs on WOT

typhoonslippery
08-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
Or don't treat your throttle like an on/off switch and get some real winter tires.

I was going to write something to that effect ...

Mitsu3000gt
08-22-2007, 09:36 AM
My car has just under 400 lb/ft torque (crank) and it is very easy to drive in the winter. Just don't get on the gas and spool up the turbos, and you will be fine. All you really need is common sense IMO.

teggypimp95
08-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Your gti has traction controll, shouldent be a problem if you drive carful.

eur0
08-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I drove around with 300hp on summers for an entire winter a couple years ago. No problems here.

...and 18's no? :eek:

asp integra
08-22-2007, 12:57 PM
ya thats what i was thinking, just drive like i normally would in the winter and i should be fine

kenny
08-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh

Would not have believed this had I not experienced it first hand! Never got stuck once haha.

SilverBoost
08-22-2007, 11:56 PM
what I try to do is mash the gas pedal every chance I get so that I can spin through all that snow and ice down to the pavement for maximum traction.

asp integra
08-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost
what I try to do is mash the gas pedal every chance I get so that I can spin through all that snow and ice down to the pavement for maximum traction.

haha i have heard thats the best way to drive in the winter:burnout: :eek: :banghead: :rofl:

picmerollin
08-23-2007, 04:25 PM
i winter drove a horribly over boosted rx7 turbo II , just stay off the boost and get some winter tires. the rotary was especially easy to lug around due to the low torque, but its how you drive it.

Daan
08-23-2007, 04:33 PM
haha Ekli... what are you smoking

pass that shit around

The winter's like the sea, she's a sweet lady that can provide your family with a basket of fish

TE4MFaint
08-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by SilverBoost

This is the reason I bought myself a GT-Four :)

KIDDING!

AWD will even get loose in snow, and ice..well..it doesnt matter how much HP you have when you are sliding on ice.

Lay off the boost. Although you may be hyped up that the turbos seem to love the cold a bit more, dont get ancy on the pedal.

Treat it like any car, dont think just because you have 300 whp that you can boot it in front of someone merging into their lane, this is where we will read

FS: Parting Out VW GTI

rage2
08-23-2007, 05:12 PM
The winter's like the sea, she's a sweet lady that can provide your family with a basket of fish

Originally posted by Daan
haha Ekli... what are you smoking

pass that shit around
I think it's cock, cuz that's the gayest shit I've ever heard! :rofl: