PDA

View Full Version : Sprinkler systems

GoChris
08-22-2007, 01:15 PM
I have (I think) a big enough yard that I would have to move a sprinkler at least once in order to water it properly. That's at least once more than I want to move it without annoying me.

So, can anyone recommend a company (or individual, I could help) to install a backyard sprinkler system for me?

Also for those that have had this done, what was the approximate cost?

HillBilly
08-22-2007, 02:53 PM
can't recommend ayone, but cost will be as such.

Control system - $200
valves - $35/each

Pop-ups - $8/each
gearheads - $25/each

So, depending on the size of your yard, it can be a lot.

FYI only get Hunter components.

hedge
08-22-2007, 04:40 PM
I did it myself, just bought the orbitz stuff from home depot. It's still working great 6 years later. I installed a hookup to my air compressor so I can blow it out really easy from my basement.

It cost me about $400 for a standard 40x120 city lot, with 3 zones.

A neighbour I know had hers installed after the sod was layed. It's clearly a fancier system with special zones for watering flower beds etc. It cost her $2500

tylere
08-22-2007, 04:43 PM
I used to work with Alpha-better in high school and the irrigation guys were pretty good, I have also heard good things about Rainmakers. Check out Regency Irrigation if you want to do it yourself. Stick with Hunter, Rainbird or Toro, they make good stuff that will last in our harsh climate. Don't foget to have them blown out before winter or else you could be in for a hefty repair bill

http://www.regencyirrigation.com/

civicHB
08-22-2007, 06:13 PM
http://www.cte.ca/irrigation.html

RainBird FTW :bigpimp:

2EFNFAST
08-26-2007, 01:42 AM
Rain-tech did mine.

I have 30 zones......that adds up to a lot :(
(and what's funny is about 30% of my property is still not covered by anything, lol!)

SneakyNeek
08-26-2007, 02:40 AM
i work for a irragation company

Solid Sprinklers.

619-0289
we do really good work
5 man operation

give the number a call for a estimate

msouther
09-18-2007, 10:19 PM
I am getting mine done. Front and back, pimpin set up with control box plumbed to basement. No hoses anywhere which I like. Paying $2,900 cash deal and they are using Rainbird stuff. I started this job myself and did the front. It is a pretty good set up but I don't like the hoses coming out of the ground to my hose bib. He is going to change out the heads that I used (Orbit from Home Depot) and tie it all in to the control box. I also had trouble digging down the appropriate depth in the back and said screw it. Lastly, I like that everything is underground. I have realized that some things are just better to pay the pros to do it. My neighbour did it first, I saw his work and knew what I was getting. Good luck with it whatever you decide to do!

Fred
09-19-2007, 08:05 AM
I went with Solid Sprinklers at the beginning of the summer. They were in and out in two days. All the guys I dealt with were great and the system works amazing. The only problem is that the grass grows like crazy. It was a lot easier when it was a yellow waist land of death.

dr_jared88
07-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Bumping an old thread because I don't want to make a new one. Anyway, I am installing sprinklers in my front yard and have a question regarding the piping.

My house only has 1/2" service so I was planning on running 1/2" pipe for the system which to me makes logical sense. However when I used Orbits online system builder, even after selecting I have 1/2" service their plans show to run 1" pipe as my main feed and have 3/4" pipe coming off to feed sprinklers. I can't see how this makes any sense at all since my bottle neck is the 1/2" line exiting my house. Is there actually any benefit to this, or is their software just trying to upsell me on piping?

Thanks!

sk8r3124
07-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by tylere
I used to work with Alpha-better in high school and the irrigation guys were pretty good, I have also heard good things about Rainmakers. Check out Regency Irrigation if you want to do it yourself. Stick with Hunter, Rainbird or Toro, they make good stuff that will last in our harsh climate. Don't foget to have them blown out before winter or else you could be in for a hefty repair bill

I ran an installation crew last summer for Regency. So of course I would recommend them. They install with either Poly, or Blu-loc (i believe they are the only company in Calgary that stocks it).

If you can go Blu-loc, there is much less maintenance, so it saves you money in the long run with system servicing.

It can be pretty pricey to get one of their crews to do it. They get it done in a day though, where as a do-it yourself could take the weekend.

I installed a 4 zone Blu-loc system by myself last summer, took maybe 4 hours total with lines being pulled for me.

If you have to trench yourself, its a pain in the keester.

Originally posted by dr_jared88
Bumping an old thread because I don't want to make a new one. Anyway, I am installing sprinklers in my front yard and have a question regarding the piping.

My house only has 1/2" service so I was planning on running 1/2" pipe for the system which to me makes logical sense. However when I used Orbits online system builder, even after selecting I have 1/2" service their plans show to run 1" pipe as my main feed and have 3/4" pipe coming off to feed sprinklers. I can't see how this makes any sense at all since my bottle neck is the 1/2" line exiting my house. Is there actually any benefit to this, or is their software just trying to upsell me on piping?

Thanks!

I think they recommend to run 1 inch to the manifold as to accumulate enough sustained pressure for the system. you will run into problems running 1/2 inch too long. Might want to look at running all three diameters. 1 inch main to manifold, and 3/4 out from manifold for each line. you can tap out a 1/2 inch line from the 3/4 if its 5 feet long or less.

dr_jared88
07-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by sk8r3124

I think they recommend to run 1 inch to the manifold as to accumulate enough sustained pressure for the system. you will run into problems running 1/2 inch too long. Might want to look at running all three diameters. 1 inch main to manifold, and 3/4 out from manifold for each line. you can tap out a 1/2 inch line from the 3/4 if its 5 feet long or less.

I just don't get how that helps though. If my main feed is 1/2", then how would running 1" to the manifold help? There wouldn't be enough water to fill the line...

GoChris
07-12-2011, 02:09 PM
Funny that you bump this, I am in need of sprinklers for my new house. I was supposed to on the weekend due up a sketch and try to figure it out.

sk8r3124
07-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by dr_jared88

I just don't get how that helps though. If my main feed is 1/2", then how would running 1" to the manifold help? There wouldn't be enough water to fill the line...

It could just be that they don't make 1/2 inch manifolds. I am not completely positive, but when I was installing anything 8 zones or less was done with 3/4 to the manifold, and anything over was done with 1 inch to the manifold. I never came across 1/2 inch running to the manifold. Could just pick up the phone and call Regency.

GoChris
07-17-2011, 11:16 PM
I'm looking for someone to assist me in setting up/finishing my sprinkler system. I'm just too busy. I have the lines ran so far that's all.

Please PM if someone can come tell me what other hardware I need and perhaps provide some labor. I'll pay of course for your time and expertise.

InRich
07-17-2011, 11:45 PM
I just did mine with RainPro. Cost me 2500, and I have 4 zones, in the Hunter gear. I have ALOT of sprinklers.

funkytuqe
04-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Is there a good online resource somewhere that can learn and plan out a sprinkler system? I would like to install my own this spring but i don't know where to start...

blitz
04-21-2014, 10:56 PM
The Home Depot website has an online tool where you draw your yard and it spits out a plan and component list. It's pretty slick for being free.

ExtraSlow
04-22-2014, 07:27 AM
Lee Valley also has planning tools, and al the stuff if you want to install it yourself.

Amysicle
04-22-2014, 07:37 AM

Wrath
04-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by funkytuqe
Is there a good online resource somewhere that can learn and plan out a sprinkler system? I would like to install my own this spring but i don't know where to start...

Go to regency Irrigation - they will help you plan your system for free (As long as you buy you components from them)

they have a pretty good site for the DIY

funkytuqe
04-29-2014, 01:27 PM
I might just do that, thanks guys!