PDA

View Full Version : New used car scam?

Crymson
08-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Hey, so I'm pretty savvy when it comes to internet scams, and I have a good nose when anything is fishy. I mean, in this day and age, if there is anything weird, i generally walk away from a deal.

So, anyway, I've got a 2006 Lancer in the autotrader (base model, 53k, 5 sp - 14,900 If anyone is interested :) ), and i come home to an interesting voice mail.

The voice mail claims they from "buy great autos" or something like that - i really couldn't hear the name, and to call them back because they have a buyer for my car.

So I call them back and they give me this spiel about about how they're a financing/credit agency for people with bad credit, and they finance AND find vehicles that fit what their client's needs.

So the lady on the phone tells me that her "buyer" is approved for 16,000 and that if i would be willing to pay a $299 fee if she could GARAUNTEE me a sale at or slightly above my asking price.

"Of course", i say, "that sounds like a good deal. So does your commission come off the cheque that the buyer will bring"

"No" she says " It will take a few minutes to set you up an account and the 299$ fee is paid then"

So of course i'm like "Ah, yah, GFYS, good bye"

What do you guys think? I think it's fishy.

GQBalla
08-22-2007, 05:13 PM
im probably stupid but i still dont get it?

Tik-Tok
08-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Smells like Paris Hiltons crotch to me too.

ca18det240sx
08-22-2007, 05:15 PM
That sounds pretty fishy to me. I had a lady call from Greatcarsandtrucks.com or some bullshit like that, checked out the site...most of the veichles were on there for like a year, but they claim xxxxxxxx hits a day or something....

But yah, that one stinks like bullshit.

Crymson
08-22-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
im probably stupid but i still dont get it?

They're asking me to pay 299$ so that they can "garauntee" me a sale.

GQBalla
08-22-2007, 05:19 PM
OHHHHH

i see -
hrmmm that is pretty fishy.....

Hakkola
08-22-2007, 05:34 PM
Don't do it!!! These companies are all shady. On the news a few months ago I saw something about a company that guaranteed a sale or your money back. Turns out it was next to impossible to get your money back, I think the company argued there was no time frame for the guaranteed sale or something like that.

In short, IMO, I would never trust a company like this.

canuckcarguy
08-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Last time I got a call like this, it was the same thing. roughly $300 for a guaranteed sale. I agreed to pay them the $300, but only if they paid me $600, in return for which I'd guarantee them a $1000 commission once they sold the car at or above my asking price.

Strange, they never called me back.

Cypresskilla
08-22-2007, 06:34 PM
I decided to go with those guys today when they phoned. They said they have to qualified buyers ready to go and they will be contacting me in the next day or so. I will keep you all posted as to what happens.

Hakkola
08-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Cypresskilla
I I will keep you all posted as to what happens.

Hopefully you don't end up like the guy in your avatar.

Good luck with the sale dude. I think they tell everybody they have "a buyer lined up."

JGerke
08-22-2007, 06:58 PM
i've got a buyer lined up for $100,000 above your asking price...all you have to do is wire a mere half your asking price by western union to my bank account in Nigeria. I bank in Nigeria cuz they give me a great interest rate...really.

Cypresskilla
08-22-2007, 07:09 PM
If it works out, great. If not then i WILL get my money back one way or another, so i'm not that worried

The Cosworth
08-22-2007, 07:13 PM
If it works out, great. If not then i WILL get my money back one way or another, so i'm not that worried

how?

I dont think your going to be the only one who thought of that

TrailBlazerSS
08-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Be careful with these companies that call you!!

We have an SUV listed on autotrader and received a call from AutoRegistries.ca with the exact same story about a guaranteed buyer. In this case they told us they would have the buyer by Monday (of last week) IF we paid them around $200.

Well Monday came and went and my husband tried calling them countless times and they never returned our calls or e-mails. I ended up checking into this company on the Better Business Bureau website and found out they have several complaints brought against them: :thumbsdow
http://reports.betterbusinessbureau.ca/commonreport.html?bid=47195

We called our bank and told them how we can't get in touch with this company and they didn't come through with their promise; they thankfully reversed the charges on our credit card.

If you sell your vehicle this way, I would be very surprised. Good luck.

topmade
08-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Tell them you only deal with cash, get their address, then go and burn that fucking place down.

haha j/k but that would feel great. I got conned by greatcarsandtrucks.com a few years back when they first started, and never did get any money back when it wasn't sold within 90 days.

97'Scort
08-22-2007, 10:30 PM
They're all scams, but they've found legal loopholes to keep your money. To the dude who fell for that, you really do have your head up your ass. A simple search on here would have turned up some previous discussion.

TomcoPDR
08-22-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
Last time I got a call like this, it was the same thing. roughly $300 for a guaranteed sale. I agreed to pay them the $300, but only if they paid me $600, in return for which I'd guarantee them a $1000 commission once they sold the car at or above my asking price.

Strange, they never called me back.

:rofl: haha nice one

Cypresskilla
08-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
They're all scams, but they've found legal loopholes to keep your money. To the dude who fell for that, you really do have your head up your ass. A simple search on here would have turned up some previous discussion.

Hey man, it's not your money so mind your own business. Oh and all these legal loopholes..... please enlighten since your an expert on it.

Cypresskilla
08-22-2007, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris

how?

I dont think your going to be the only one who thought of that

I have a couple of friends that work at Global news and one that works for Revenue Canada.:thumbsup:

Schwa
08-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Dude, its clear you've been had. Try and stop the payment before its too late instead of arguing here.

eblend
08-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Yah got a call from greatcarsandtrucks on tuesday, 3 prequalified buyers for my car. Sounded too good to be true, so i told em I am busy and call me back tomorrow. Did a quick search and found out about the whole scam thing (found a beyond post about it via google) and today they called abck and i just ignore the call. Schwa, you may have friends and all that, but you have been had, and have created extra worries for yourself that would not have happend had u search a bit before giving 300 bucks away.

Ohh by the way, i had 40% off haha, 160 or something like that they told me :D

Eken9
08-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

LOL:angel: :rofl:

brucebanner
08-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Hopefully you don't end up like the guy in your avatar.

Good luck with the sale dude. I think they tell everybody they have "a buyer lined up."

Could be 'www.canadianautofinder.ca' as well, I worked for these guys for like 2 days haha.

When you start working, they basically give you an auto trader and tell you to call everyone in it.

They give you a few tips and such on how to get the person to list with them. Pretty well anything goes for what you can and can't say (buyers lined up, high % of vehicles sold by a certain number of days etc etc).

They can finance however. Its just like listing anywhere I guess, but it does not have a high success rate of sale..

You can get your money back, but only after a certain number of days (with CAF it was after 60 days).

Personally I say stay away, far far away of these kind of things..

TomcoPDR
08-22-2007, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by bruceod

Could be 'www.canadianautofinder.ca' as well, I worked for these guys for like 2 days haha.

When you start working, they basically give you an auto trader and tell you to call everyone in it.

They give you a few tips and such on how to get the person to list with them. Pretty well anything goes for what you can and can't say (buyers lined up, high % of vehicles sold by a certain number of days etc etc).

They can finance however. Its just like listing anywhere I guess, but it does not have a high success rate of sale..

You can get your money back, but only after a certain number of days (with CAF it was after 60 days).

Personally I say stay away, far far away of these kind of things..

Did you had to pay THEM to guarantee you a job? haha just jokes

97'Scort
08-23-2007, 12:13 AM

Hey man, it's not your money so mind your own business. Oh and all these legal loopholes..... please enlighten since your an expert on it.

No it's not my money, but every time somebody falls for something like this it just means they stay in business. Which means eventually, it's going to affect more people.

Never said I was any expert at that either, but you're paying for a service, not a tangible item. You can't take it back. You can sue if they won't return it, but they're banking on you thinking that $300 isn't worth your time and effort. When it doesn't sell, don't be surprised that your intern buddies at Global can't help you much, unless you want to wait for them with a bat or something.

SilverGS
08-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Be careful. Even real estate agents don't get paid until the sale is done, not before.

Toms-SC
08-23-2007, 08:16 AM
LOL! Cypress just got ripped off.

4WARNED
08-23-2007, 08:22 AM
I got the same phone call yesterday on my Shelby for sale......went on and on about having a buyer, this was a second chance financing for people who can't get financing through a dealer or bank.....

Scam......

Crymson
08-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Brutal.

I had no idea this was so proflific. I just hate the way things are today, you can't trust ANYONE.

teggypimp95
08-23-2007, 08:47 AM
There at tons of these places now.

I delt with great cars and trucks which sounds like the same sort of deal but dont do it.

They said to me, if they could find me a buyer for a 100 bucks would i do it. So i said ya.

So basically you pay them 100 bucks, and they advertise your car on their site, and they provide financing to people who would usually have a hard time getting it. So the deal was, so if they sell my car with in 3 months they keep my hundred bucks. Or if they dont i get it back.

So i sold my car on my own and had nothing to do with them. And they claim that if i sell it i will also get my money back. I had to go through the biggest fuss to get my money back. Luckly i had a laywer friend who noterized the document for me so they had to give me my money. They were going on how that was illigal to get a lawer and shit but i ask them what they were going to do about it? They gave back the money and i have been advising people since not to deal with these companies. When ever they call now (when im selling a car) i like to rip them a new one.

JRSC00LUDE
08-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

What, it smells like weed and fried spam? wierd.......

Kona9
08-23-2007, 10:03 AM
I had one of the original threads about this.

DO NOT DO IT!!!

I was called by more than one of these scammers when I had my 05 Frontier up for sale. I looked into one of them and learned that it was not a good idea to use their service, as per many reasons stated above.

I have a couple of friends that work at Global news and one that works for Revenue Canada.:thumbsup:

Ok Garth Brooks with friends in low places!! Let us know how your posse digs you outta this one.

Lex350
08-23-2007, 11:24 AM

what do you mean mind your own business? You made a thread about it and asked:

"What do you guys think? I think it's fishy."

WTF? Don't be a crybaby just because you didn't like the response.

Crymson
08-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by rotten42

what do you mean mind your own business? You made a thread about it and asked:

"What do you guys think? I think it's fishy."

WTF? Don't be a crybaby just because you didn't like the response.

I MADE the thread, saying it was fishy.

Cypress admitted to falling for it.

97'Scort
08-23-2007, 11:26 AM
^ I don't think he was the OP, just a hijacker. Crybaby is appropriate though :D

JRSC00LUDE
08-23-2007, 11:30 AM
^

Actually, douche there didn't make the thread. He just jacked it.

Edit - in case the two replies above me didn't make that clear... lol

Lex350
08-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Crymson

I MADE the thread, saying it was fishy.

Cypress admitted to falling for it.

my bad.......probably should pay more attention.

Crymson..are you showing up for MITM?

Crymson
08-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Yup, i'll be at MITM. The weather looks like it's goign to cooperate. I'll decide at COP wether or not i'm goign to make the cruise though.

Cody D
08-23-2007, 02:15 PM
You can get your money back from them, but you have to have a notary signed paper saying that it didn't sell, the way they make their money is that most people don't go through the hassle and expense of getting the notary signed paper. It's not cheap to get the notary to sign it.

They will absolutely not help you sell your car, it is definately a Scam, I also have started a thread about it a while ago.

Cypresskilla
08-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
^

Actually, douche there didn't make the thread. He just jacked it.

Edit - in case the two replies above me didn't make that clear... lol

So why would i be a douche? i didn't start the thread i just replied to it and all you nut stains decided to throw in your only 2 cents and that makes me a douche:dunno:

Second how have i been a cry baby about it i told you what i was doing and you all started talking shit. I didn't whine about anything and some how you take that as me being a cry baby??
This site has just gotten fuckin retarded with asshats. grow the fuck up, wipe off your vaginas stop chirping like a bunch of highschool girls and stop being so fuckin negative about things that don't concern you.

97'Scort
08-23-2007, 02:25 PM
http://dogtoe.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/arguing_on_the_internet.jpg

I've always wanted to use that one.

Cypresskilla
08-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Wow first time i ever seen that. Do you come up with this stuff yourself:thumbsup: cause it gold man

Toms-SC
08-23-2007, 02:28 PM
Wow first time i ever seen that. Do you come up with this stuff yourself:thumbsup: cause it gold man

Got your money back yet?

JRSC00LUDE
08-23-2007, 02:29 PM
I didn't whine about anything and some how you take that as me being a cry baby??

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I don't like your opinion....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

But I do apologize for the douche comment, I meant dupe.

;)

Lex350
08-23-2007, 02:32 PM

So why would i be a douche? i didn't start the thread i just replied to it and all you nut stains decided to throw in your only 2 cents and that makes me a douche:dunno:

Second how have i been a cry baby about it i told you what i was doing and you all started talking shit. I didn't whine about anything and some how you take that as me being a cry baby??
This site has just gotten fuckin retarded with asshats. grow the fuck up, wipe off your vaginas stop chirping like a bunch of highschool girls and stop being so fuckin negative about things that don't concern you.

hahahahaha....and he is telling us to grow up?:drama: :D