PDA

View Full Version : 49cc Scooters?

SunniSunShine
08-22-2007, 06:20 PM
My girlfriend was just about to buy a 49 cc scooter, but she said she was advised that she would need a class 6 motorcycle license to operate, i have read elsewhere that you would only need a class 7 because the top speed is 60 and under. i was just hoping someone else would be able to clarify what the procedure was on registering and insuring and the guidelines within alberta.

Also if anyone has one for sale that they have used with juse a class 7 we are interested in purchasing!

Thanks

88CRXGUY
08-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Anything that is under 50cc's all that you need is a class 5, anything over 50cc's you need a class 6.

SunniSunShine
08-23-2007, 07:26 AM
thats strange, i recall reading that all you would need was a class 7... i guess i'll have to keep researching

MikeHL
08-23-2007, 08:25 AM
yep class 7 learners on a moped (under 50cc with weight restrictions), more powerful scooters need a class 6.

also consider asking your g/f to take a scooter course, I know its just a scooter and it only goes 60km/hr but wither on a motorbike or scooter when you fall the road rash is the same.
Calgary safety council offers a course in scooters i think its $175.

SunniSunShine
08-23-2007, 09:33 AM
i was just reading that it depends on the weight of the actual unit

it has to be under 120lbs i think for class 7.. thats pretty dumb! oh well

http://moped2.org/laws/Alberta.htm

MikeHL
08-23-2007, 02:19 PM
And they are limited to like 50-60km/hr. only practical for the small back roads in the city. Not bad for the odd milk run but quite unpractical if you want to go from one side of the city to the next.

but after all that I hear they are quite fun and cheap to run to boot, but as the saying goes, they are like fat chicks...

88CRXGUY
08-23-2007, 06:46 PM
^^I've never heard that saying before. I thought the saying for fat chicks was warms in the winter, shade in the summer. You can't get that from a scooter.

MikeHL
08-23-2007, 08:26 PM
scooters are like fat chicks, their only fun to ride until someone sees you on one...

viff3r
08-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Call a registry perhaps??? :banghead:

SunniSunShine
08-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by viff3r
Call a registry perhaps??? :banghead:

i did bro, but i got the effin run around from 3 different registries, they told me to call the insurance agency, and they told me to call the registry lol....

its for her to go get groceries when im too lazy to drive DUH haha

viff3r
08-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Tell her to take the bus. And to respect your authoriTAY

SunniSunShine
08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
lol - then there will be no sexy time

harv91
08-24-2007, 11:03 AM
tell you what pm her # to ek 2.0, and he'll give her a ride ;)

SunniSunShine
08-24-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by harv91
tell you what pm her # to ek 2.0, and he'll give her a ride ;)

done

schurchill39
08-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Wow there is alot of miss information here expecially for such an easy subject.

To operate anything under 50cc's (aka your 49cc scooter) you only need a class 7 licence, a class 5 will work as well. If its 50cc's or greater then you will need a valid class 6.

They are usually governed at about 60km depending on the make and model but they wont go much faster even if they weren't governed. The new yamaha's can do 70ish on a good day but dont expect much for acceleration.

Also insurance and registration is really cheep. When I was 14 and 15 it was only 85 a year I think, one friend was paying 110 a year. Then its like 40$ to register and your good to go. 4$ to fill up and you have a weeks worth of driving out of it.

Most of the time you see 14 and 15 year olds on them because they are aloud to drive a scooter before a car but with the way gas prices have been going I have seen more and more adults driving them around town.

We have a scooter for sale if your interested. It needs minor work and its not the prettiest (teal and black and stickered) but if you want it I only want $450 for it. shoot me a PM if your interested

The Cosworth
08-24-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by viff3r
Tell her to take the bus. And to respect your authoriTAY

I agree, they are cool in Paris/Barcelona but not Calgary. Unless you live in Kensington

frozenrice
08-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
Most of the time you see 14 and 15 year olds on them because they are aloud to drive a scooter before a car but with the way gas prices have been going I have seen more and more adults driving them around town.

Growing up in the Hat, a ton of my friends were riding around on those things. Only recently have I been seeing more scooters on the roads here in Calgary. I don't think we'll see many of the sub 50cc ones though in Calgary since Calgary's roads are too big and fast for them. On that note, with the rising popularity of scooters, I expect to see more of this (I know it's an old picture, but I laugh everytime I think of it) :

http://www.bikernewsonline.com/uploaded_images/wearing-helmet-backwards-769774.jpg

SunniSunShine
08-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by schurchill39
Wow there is alot of miss information here expecially for such an easy subject.

To operate anything under 50cc's (aka your 49cc scooter) you only need a class 7 licence, a class 5 will work as well. If its 50cc's or greater then you will need a valid class 6.

They are usually governed at about 60km depending on the make and model but they wont go much faster even if they weren't governed. The new yamaha's can do 70ish on a good day but dont expect much for acceleration.

Also insurance and registration is really cheep. When I was 14 and 15 it was only 85 a year I think, one friend was paying 110 a year. Then its like 40$ to register and your good to go. 4$ to fill up and you have a weeks worth of driving out of it.

We have a scooter for sale if your interested. It needs minor work and its not the prettiest (teal and black and stickered) but if you want it I only want $450 for it. shoot me a PM if your interested

Most of the information you provided was correct although there are a few things you missed out on.

Yes you can drive a under 49cc scooter with a class 7 license, as long as it cannot go over 50km/h and as long as it is not over 120lbs, this doesn't leave very much out there for you.

But from what i was told, many retailers sell the scooters to younger people with only a class 7 license, and some have had no problem registering and insuring with their class 7.

So although there are mixed opinions and rules, there are still ways around it

Proboscis
09-09-2007, 10:23 PM
http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFTRA_Content/docType45/Production/small_vehicle_booklet_final.pdf