PDA

View Full Version : math 249 as a spring course?

al-ti2d
08-22-2007, 11:09 PM
so i'm debating whether or not to take math 249 as a spring course at the UofC. my friend tells me that it would be harder for me to take it in the spring compared to normally in the fall semester. he said that spring courses are shorter than fall/winter courses are so normally classes have to cut out some stuff that they'd regularly teach to accommodate for the time constraints, but for math 249 all the material is kept the same and they expect you to learn everything in the shorter period of time. has anyone here ever taken math 249 in the spring? i want to know if i'm making the right decision here to drop math 249 in the fall and take it in the spring.

boxer23
08-22-2007, 11:11 PM
how well did you do in math 31 in high school??
are you also looking to take more than one spring course??
are you also working during that time??
did you check the professors ratings??

XylathaneGTR
08-22-2007, 11:27 PM
boxer23 pretty much outlined the key points.

Spring/Summer classes move much faster, and are often condensed anyways. 3 Hour lectures while trying to learn a more technical topic that requires practice is not much fun, and not an ideal learning situation for most people.
If you did alright in Math31, it shouldn't be too big of a problem, but if not...It may be, especially if you have other things to do (such as work or multiple classes.)

Don't drop it in the fall and take it in the summer just to slack off a little bit more in the fall, it's not worth it.
If there is a class that you MUST have during the fall and they interfere, then you can consider it.

infected
08-22-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm assuming you did not take M31 or dropped out of it last minute which is why you are in 249 and not 251? I'm taking it in fall just because almost EVERY councilor advised me to which isn't a bad idea I guess, get it over with now you know?

al-ti2d
08-22-2007, 11:40 PM
i took math 31 in highschool... but i stopped trying halfway through the term and i ended up getting a 57 as a final mark.. lol. amazing that i even passed it actually =P
i'm looking to take 2 spring courses so that i can have a 4 course semester in the fall and in the winter. i was originally planning on taking math 249 and bsen 231(?) in the spring/summer... but now i'm debating on math 249 in the spring. i might just change it to english and bsen in the spring/summer

infected
08-22-2007, 11:45 PM
English and BSEN in the Spring and Summer sounds good. I wanted to do that too because the lab times for BSEN sucks but I want to stay with friends so I'm taking it in the winter and I want to take english now for practice because I need to write that proficiency exam.

al-ti2d
08-22-2007, 11:52 PM
hey thanks for your input guys! much appreciated :D

boxer23
08-23-2007, 03:20 PM
WHOA WHOA: just to WARN YOU BSEN IS FREAKING HARD IN SPRING, SO MUCH WORK, and just be careful and take the group project seriously, because my group screwed me over.

XylathaneGTR
08-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by boxer23
WHOA WHOA: just to WARN YOU BSEN IS FREAKING HARD IN SPRING, SO MUCH WORK, and just be careful and take the group project seriously, because my group screwed me over.
That's kind of the luck of the draw, isn't it?
When i was doing Engg251, One of the groups in my lab had a member that droppd out of Engg half way into the first semester (JUST after the AAL project started.) It kind of fucked that group over and left them with a shitload of extra work to do.