PDA

View Full Version : Job hunting is hard!

old&slow
08-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Been on the go all day...my head hurts.
Find A job ain't so hard, finding one that fits is a lot tougher!

Just thought I'd pass that along.

Trini
08-23-2007, 02:39 PM
yup I agree 100%
ppl. say how Calgary is in a boom etc. but it is the kind of jobs that are available.

gatorade
08-23-2007, 03:01 PM
finding a job isn't hard at all, its finding a job you are willing to work that is, you are probably too picky.

5hift
08-23-2007, 03:07 PM
Not really. I was in the same situation as the OP. All you hear about is how their are tons of jobs availible, but the majority of them are the entry level jobs no one wants.

So yeah if your willing to work in fast food, entry level labor, custodial, etc, then there is a lot. If you want an actual job that might lead somewhere, its about the same as its always been.

KappaSigma
08-23-2007, 03:12 PM
I disagree. Tons of entry positions in actual firms where you can move up.

SunniSunShine
08-23-2007, 03:13 PM
has no one looked on monster.com?

theres tons of jobs, if you need to work, just find something for now, and continue looking, no shame in the game playa

Euro_Trash
08-23-2007, 03:14 PM
If you think its bad now, if we have a warm winter in AB and BC then it will be even harder to find a job with the O+G companies

MilanoRedTeg
08-23-2007, 03:21 PM
You can't expect to start at an executive level unless you have some experience and education behind you. You have to start somewhere and its usually entry level positions unless you know someone high up that can help give your career a push.

Amysicle
08-23-2007, 03:25 PM
This guy has pulled his weight, jumped through hoops and has been working for the past few decades.

He's looking for a specific line of work that he's been doing for years now. The reason as to why he needs to look for a new job is outside of his control. Just some background for those who are acting like he's some 18 year old looking for a $50/h job that isn't rigs with no work experience.

Note to the OP: Also, is there any way you can go crawling back to your old old boss and ask for your old job back?

Sasuke_Kensai
08-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Hear hear, when I was looking for a grad job in engg this year I had a reasonably hard time doing so (not the hardest, not the easiest). But from how everyone talked to me, it seemed like I could walk in wherever I wanted, pull my pants down, and demand a job with a signing bonus for pulling my pants down. It wasn't like that at all, response rate was decent but it wasn't great especially from the big O+G companies. Then there was the interview process (not too great at those) so it took even longer after that.

Trini
08-23-2007, 03:44 PM
^well said
and the media also give the impression that it is that easy to get a decent job, it isn't...thats life I guess.

all the best in your search man.

old&slow
08-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Amysicle
This guy has pulled his weight, jumped through hoops and has been working for the past few decades.

He's looking for a specific line of work that he's been doing for years now. The reason as to why he needs to look for a new job is outside of his control. Just some background for those who are acting like he's some 18 year old looking for a $50/h job that isn't rigs with no work experience.

Note to the OP: Also, is there any way you can go crawling back to your old old boss and ask for your old job back?

You either know me or your psychic.
I have actually got a couple opportunities. Nothing to be excited about. I think I will take one and just wait to see how the O&G sector plays out. Maybe a year from now things will swing back around and there'll be plenty of small vessels again.( that's my forte)

Nada on the old boss...too much stress!

Amysicle
08-24-2007, 07:14 AM
No, I just remembered a post of yours on here a few weeks back. Sorry I don't have any suggestions or know of any opportunities. Good luck on the job hunt!

Supa Dexta
08-24-2007, 07:40 AM
as much as it sucks be thankful your in the richest job market in the country.. And hold out for what you want.. I was in the same boat the end of last yr, and was 2 months waiting on what I wanted...

DUBBED
08-24-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by old&slow

You either know me or your psychic.
I have actually got a couple opportunities. Nothing to be excited about. I think I will take one and just wait to see how the O&G sector plays out. Maybe a year from now things will swing back around and there'll be plenty of small vessels again.( that's my forte)

Nada on the old boss...too much stress!

What is your background? The company I work for at the moment has a variety of opportunities. PM me and I will forward you some info.

Lex350
08-24-2007, 08:47 AM
the problem I've seen with candidates for jobs is that there expectations do not mean their qualifications. There are too many people out there that have never had to look for a job in a tough job market. They don't have the skills to find the job they want. Most people rely on ads and internet postings instead of finding a way to get face time with the company and postion they would like.

tentacles
08-24-2007, 11:15 AM
Hear hear, when I was looking for a grad job in engg this year I had a reasonably hard time doing so (not the hardest, not the easiest). But from how everyone talked to me, it seemed like I could walk in wherever I wanted, pull my pants down, and demand a job with a signing bonus for pulling my pants down. It wasn't like that at all, response rate was decent but it wasn't great especially from the big O+G companies. Then there was the interview process (not too great at those) so it took even longer after that.Report this post to a moderato

Well, maybe if you didn't do the part with your pants down. I mean, that's kind of weird, isn't it? Do people usually do that?

GTS Jeff
08-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Guys, the reason there are so many service jobs available is because all the people that used to work those jobs moved up to fill all the higher level jobs (due to shortages) and the reason there were shortages there is because those former workers moved up as well. It's not like there's suddenly double the amount of A&W's in Calgary, there really are more jobs across the board. It's just that there's nothing really below working fast food, so that gap isn't being filled like the other higher level jobs.

For you people that think finding a good job is tough right now...Pfft, it'd be a LOT tougher if the economy weren't doing so well.

V6-BoI
08-24-2007, 12:12 PM
Yeah I'm having a hell of a time finding a job as well. This "hot Calgary job market" seems kinda like BS in my opinion. I finished school in May in computer engineering, and been looking for a job till now and still haven't found anything. I probably applied to like 40+ different positions, and only had like 3 interviews. Got turned down for 2 of the 3 places, and still waiting for a reply with my last one.

I looked at a majority of the job postings on the unversity career website, jobbank.gc.ca, monster.ca, calgaryjobshop.ca, workoplois.com, and the apegga website, and seems like most places looking for engineers want like at least 3 years of experience, no one wants an entry level/new grad person. Can anyone else in engg relate to this?

boredengineer
08-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI
Yeah I'm having a hell of a time finding a job as well. This "hot Calgary job market" seems kinda like BS in my opinion. I finished school in May in computer engineering, and been looking for a job till now and still haven't found anything.

Can anyone else in engg relate to this?

What was your GPA like? I graduated in May as well except I was hired in February(Not the company I did my internship with)... I applied for ~10 jobs and got 7 interviews. I was employed before I even had proof of graduating or my iron ring. A lot of the people whom I know that didn't get a job in engg right off the bat missed the hiring frenzy during the end of winter/start of spring. Most of them wanted to take the summer off or go traveling. I will agree with you though the market is not nearly as hot as people like to say for new engg grads. It still does take time and patience to find a decent job. Of the people that I know in engg all but one is now hired. Most of them recently got a job this last month.

V6-BoI
08-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by boredengineer

What was your GPA like? I graduated in May as well except I was hired in February(Not the company I did my internship with)... I applied for ~10 jobs and got 7 interviews. I was employed before I even had proof of graduating or my iron ring. A lot of the people whom I know that didn't get a job in engg right off the bat missed the hiring frenzy during the end of winter/start of spring. Most of them wanted to take the summer off or go traveling. I will agree with you though the market is not nearly as hot as people like to say for new engg grads. It still does take time and patience to find a decent job. Of the people that I know in engg all but one is now hired. Most of them recently got a job this last month.

Yeah my GPA isn't the greatest like around 2.5-2.6 ish, I think that's what screwed me on second interview. The interview went good I thought and just went all down hill once I sent them my transcript. I think it kinda depends on the department as well, there weren't that many electrical/computer jobs compared to like chemical/oil&gas/mech, civil, gemoatics jobs. I think all my friends that are in chem all have jobs before they even finished school. What department did you graduate from?

boredengineer
08-24-2007, 01:02 PM

Yeah my GPA isn't the greatest like around 2.5-2.6 ish, I think that's what screwed me on second interview. The interview went good I thought and just went all down hill once I sent them my transcript. I think it kinda depends on the department as well, there weren't that many electrical/computer jobs compared to like chemical/oil&gas/mech, civil, gemoatics jobs. I think all my friends that are in chem all have jobs before they even finished school. What department did you graduate from?

Try writting down only your 4th year GPA? I donno but 2.5 is sorta low especially if that is what you got in 4th year. I graduated from EE/ENSF and I do work on embedded devices so pretty much a ENCM job. Most of the ENSF class is employed last I checked though.

DUBBED
08-24-2007, 01:07 PM

If your GPA is lower, and you have little to no experience, it will be very hard for you to crack into the market.

Someone else mentioned and internship and had 10 interviews etc etc.

It's all about experience, or a solid GPA, otherwise, be patient.

V6-BoI
08-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Oh I guess I forgot to mention that I had internship as well. I would go back to my old internship company, but they closed down their calgary office and relocated the R&D department back to Boston, so I got the screw job on that part.

Yeah 2.5 ish is pretty shitty, I did better in fourth year, got like a 3.1 or so. I don't even put my GPA on my resume though unless the company asks.

Xaroxantu Zero
08-24-2007, 02:13 PM
You might wanna consider applying at Marks Staffing. They could usually find work for you in 2-3 days.

~Leah~
08-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Lots of jobs at my work as well... and they'd rather hire externally. They pretty much refuse to hire internally. It's nice to be able to get in, but don't expect to go anywhere.... they enjoy effing people over. :)

ca18det240sx
08-24-2007, 03:52 PM
Old&slow: are you a welder?

l8braker
08-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Why waste your time searching for a job when you can get on with a placement agency and let them find you work. Diversified has an industial/trades division as well an office division. 237-5577

5hift
08-24-2007, 04:03 PM
divsersified only offers $12/hr for 95% of their labour jobs. I needed a temp job for only 2 weeks and I looked around, not many staffing agencies pay well.

boredengineer
08-24-2007, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by l8braker
Why waste your time searching for a job when you can get on with a placement agency and let them find you work.

:rolleyes: For some reason I doubt they are going to be able to place someone from engineering who is looking to work in a specific field... Staffing agencies are fine if you want a run of the mill trades/office monkey job. You are *NOT* going to be placed if you are looking to do FPGA/PLC/PCB work.

old&slow
08-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by ca18det240sx

Affirmative!

TomcoPDR
08-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by ca18det240sx

Originally posted by old&slow

Affirmative!

what's wrong with rig type of welding jobs??? I see tons of portable welders driving F350, 3500, fully loaded, lifted, turbo diesel kits, 36" tires, etc... looks like there're plenty of jobs in that field? :dunno:

ca18det240sx
08-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

what's wrong with rig type of welding jobs??? I see tons of portable welders driving F350, 3500, fully loaded, lifted, turbo diesel kits, 36" tires, etc... looks like there're plenty of jobs in that field? :dunno:

There are plenty of jobs like that IF you have your own truck and want to go down to fort mac. There is work in calgary tho, but again, big money is if you have your own truck.

Old&slow: What kind of money are you looking for? Are you a journeyman? I know of a few shops that are hiring in airdrie, and my shop is hiring, but it aint exactly top notch wages...but its not a bad deal either. If you want to reply in PM go for it.

l8braker
08-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by boredengineer

:rolleyes: For some reason I doubt they are going to be able to place someone from engineering who is looking to work in a specific field... Staffing agencies are fine if you want a run of the mill trades/office monkey job. You are *NOT* going to be placed if you are looking to do FPGA/PLC/PCB work.

My post was for the OP as he is in welding (trades) and not engineering.