PDA

View Full Version : MBA - Some Silly Questions

broken_legs
08-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Well boys n girls I'm considering going back to school but instead of following a technical path as I did in the past I am looking towards business and management.

I'm fairly certain that whatever I do in the future is going to be business oriented, but I don't really know much about what an MBA is or a BCOMM and what kind of careers these credentials qualify you for. Also, I'm not totally certain what the difference between the two degrees are.

I've read some good things about Haskayne, but then i remember reading Mcleans school ranking for Canada and Haskaybe wasn't even in the top 10 (how many universities are there in Canada LOL?)

Does anyone know what kind of experience you are supposed to have before you will be accepted into a decent MBA program?

Thanks for your advices!

broken

kaput
08-23-2007, 06:25 PM

broken_legs
08-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by kaput
What's your technical background and experience?

Electronics Engineering Technologist - I have my C.E.T wooot!

I've worked 2 years in the field for an oil field service company, I've worked in an office in sales / product develpment and manufacturing adjusting engineering drawings, I've also worked at an IT company where I achieved the title of Project Manager.

lint
08-24-2007, 01:11 PM
Is the CET a degree or a diploma?

From the Haskayne MBA how to apply page (http://www.haskayne.ucalgary.ca/programs/graduate/mba/programs/graduate/mba/how%20to%20apply)

Applicants must have a four year undergraduate degree from a recognized institution with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 on our 4.0 scale from your last two years or last twenty courses.

This is for the reg MBA. Executive MBA has different criteria.

Euro///Tuned
08-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Electronics Engineering Technologist - I have my C.E.T wooot!

I've worked 2 years in the field for an oil field service company, I've worked in an office in sales / product develpment and manufacturing adjusting engineering drawings, I've also worked at an IT company where I achieved the title of Project Manager.

Your work experience seem to be on par but you need an actual degree.

cressida_pimpin
08-24-2007, 02:19 PM
A Bachelor of Commerce is an undergraduate degree which then qualifies you as a potential "candidate" for the MBA prgram. Getting into the MBA further takes into consideration your GPA (on the last 20 courses of your undergrad degree) and your score on the GMAT. An MBA is a Master of Business Administration which always follows a University degree and between 3 and 5 years of experience. Select schools consider people with technical diplomas, however few credible schools will consider people unless they have an accredited degree. A BCOMM or MBA will open endless doors and depending on your specialization you can earn a more than comfortable salary.

You can specialize in:

-Finance
-Accounting
-Human Resources
-Marketing
etc...

Hope this helps.

broken_legs
08-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Well for the record I do have an accredited 4 year baccalaureate degree

So with that kind of experience do you fellas thinki I'd be accepted? Of course theres only one real way to find out I guess. LOL

Do any of you guys have an MBA or BCOMM?

Thanks

DUBBED
08-24-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm working on a B.COMM.

From the people I've talked to at work, MBA makes a much less dramatic impact on an employer then a designation like CA, CFA, PEng, etc.

cressida_pimpin
08-24-2007, 07:01 PM

So with that kind of experience do you fellas thinki I'd be accepted? Of course theres only one real way to find out I guess. LOL

Thanks

where is your degree from?

sexualbanana
08-24-2007, 08:10 PM

Thanks

Since you have a technical/non-business background an MBA would be the way to go. From what I've heard, MBA programs teach you to think like you would as an undergraduate business student. So essentially, if you did a B.Comm, followed by an MBA (particularly true if they're both at the same school), you'd be doing the same program over.

The natural path of progression usually goes as follows:
Science/technical (ie. Engineering) backgrounds --> MBA
Business backgrounds --> Law School

broken_legs
08-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by cressida_pimpin

where is your degree from?

DeVry *caugh* .... There has been issues with U of C recognizing the degree but it is a fully accredited degree.

:dunno:

cressida_pimpin
08-26-2007, 11:48 AM

DeVry *caugh* .... There has been issues with U of C recognizing the degree but it is a fully accredited degree.

:dunno:

With a Devry degree, I'm 99% sure you won't get into the MBA program because that school is not a part of AUCC.

http://www.aucc.ca/can_uni/our_universities/index_e.html#Alberta

Not to be rude, but you want to get into an MBA program and you can't even spell cough...?:rofl:

broken_legs
08-26-2007, 11:35 PM
yeah that cough word has been messing me up since Grade 2

lol

Anyways I did a little research and DeVry students have been accepted into Haskayne in the past.

I'd post the link but I'm afraid of opening the DeVry sucks argument that has been beaten to death on these forums.

It does suck.

Anyhoo, I'm going to make a stop by U of C and do a little bit of chit chatting this week and see what comes out of it.

benyl
08-27-2007, 08:50 AM
I know plenty of people without a degree who have gotten into the MBA programs at various universities. And I am not talking about Athabasca either.

Your GMAT and your work experience are important. How you did in school is important, but probably 3rd on the list. You need references too.

broken_legs
08-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Yeah i looked into the GMAT. There a place in Edmonton that I still need to call. The only place that does it in calgary does it only once a year in March. Otherwise I'm looking at a trip to the states. Weeee.

Anyone else taken their GMAT in Canada?
Is it an absolute necessity?

lint
08-27-2007, 09:01 PM

Each school will have it listed as a requirement or not.

benyl
08-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Yeah i looked into the GMAT. There a place in Edmonton that I still need to call. The only place that does it in calgary does it only once a year in March. Otherwise I'm looking at a trip to the states. Weeee.

Um, I am pretty sure that you can take your GMAT at any time. I think silvan learning centers or something does it.

GMAT is a must. I don't know any school that will accept you without a GMAT. I think the minimum score is 550.

Edit:
I think that you need to look harder.

I found the following appointments available for writing the test here in Calgary:

Fri 31 Aug at 9:00 AM
Fri 31 Aug at 9:15 AM
Fri 31 Aug at 9:30 AM
Fri 31 Aug at 9:45 AM

TriCon Technical Services Inc, Calgary, AB, Canada

Goto MBA.com

http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/RegisterfortheGMAT/GMATAppointments/CheckSeatAvailabilityin2006.htm

put in your info and it will show up.

The MBA requires you to do a lot of research. Finding stuff like this should be easy for you.

kaput
08-28-2007, 09:26 AM

Super_Geo
08-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by DUBBED
I'm working on a B.COMM.

From the people I've talked to at work, MBA makes a much less dramatic impact on an employer then a designation like CA, CFA, PEng, etc.

Yeah I've heard the same thing, mostly because MBAs are becoming dime/dozen these days. Any combination of CA, CFA, MBA, LL.B, P.Eng would definately make you stand out though.

broken_legs
08-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Um, I am pretty sure that you can take your GMAT at any time. I think silvan learning centers or something does it.

GMAT is a must. I don't know any school that will accept you without a GMAT. I think the minimum score is 550.

Edit:
I think that you need to look harder.

I found the following appointments available for writing the test here in Calgary:

Fri 31 Aug at 9:00 AM
Fri 31 Aug at 9:15 AM
Fri 31 Aug at 9:30 AM
Fri 31 Aug at 9:45 AM

TriCon Technical Services Inc, Calgary, AB, Canada

Goto MBA.com

http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/RegisterfortheGMAT/GMATAppointments/CheckSeatAvailabilityin2006.htm

put in your info and it will show up.

The MBA requires you to do a lot of research. Finding stuff like this should be easy for you.

Thats really funny because thats the exact same website that I looked at too.

Except I actually did do a little bit of research and found this comment about Tricon:

"GMAT CANDIDATES
Please note that GMAT testing will only occur March 27-29. "

benyl
08-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Well then, I guess you have to wait.

Seems sad that Calgary only has a temporary testing site. MBA.com should be updated.

broken_legs
08-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Well then, I guess you have to wait.

Seems sad that Calgary only has a temporary testing site. MBA.com should be updated.

I found that tidbit about Tricon on MBA.com click on the "?" after each testing center and it gives you contact info etc....

When I get out of this meeting I'll call and check

EDIT:
Cheryl at Tricon said that they have closed their testing center.

EDIT X 2:
http://www.pearsonvue.com/contact/gmat/
Telephone (toll-free): 1-800-717-GMAT (4628), 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CT

^^ $250.00 and they have a bunch of dates in September.

JGerke
08-28-2007, 01:58 PM
It depends on your background and the field you want to be in. The only degree you have mentioned that is not specialized (field specific) is the MBA. If you want to be an accountant, CA...Financial Analist, CFA...P. Eng engineering...LL.B lawyer...MBA is just straight general business and prepares you for a management position. CFA used to be amazing but has gone downhill slightly since its popularity has increased. An MBA is essentially a commerce/BA econ undergrad in a graduate program. Level I CFA is the same deal (all of the 2-4) year concepts of a B. Comm and levels II and III grow on this.

Originally posted by Super_Geo

Yeah I've heard the same thing, mostly because MBAs are becoming dime/dozen these days. Any combination of CA, CFA, MBA, LL.B, P.Eng would definately make you stand out though.

cressida_pimpin
08-28-2007, 06:02 PM
When I was at Chapters picking up my LSAT study guide I saw a bunch of GMAT study guides there and currently they are 30% off so you should pick one up.

TimG
08-29-2007, 03:23 PM
Proof M.B.A.s Are Overrated, by 20 People Who Are Smarter and Richer than Your Professors
Business luminaries share their thoughts on why M.B.A.s aren't all they're cracked up to be.

http://www.insidecrm.com/features/mbas-are-overrated-081307/

three.eighteen.
08-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by TimG

http://www.insidecrm.com/features/mbas-are-overrated-081307/

uhh, that's just proof that a bunch of successful people don't have mbas...

TimG
08-29-2007, 03:41 PM
you obviously didn't read the article.

three.eighteen.
08-29-2007, 03:53 PM
no,you're right, just skimmed, but still, i think overrated is a strong word for a decent piece of education, and it would be an over generalization of mba holders as some kind of fish-eyed, degree holding morons

JGerke
08-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Thats great, so you have a bunch of successful people who managed to get by without professional cedentials. They say it at the end of the article, your drive has more to do with it than your education. This is the same with any field. You pretty much always learn more on the job and your degree is a starting point. I completely agree an MBA does not guarantee success, just like an engineering degree does not prevent you from being unemployed. Its a base, you always need experience to complement a degree. I would reccommend having work experience so your MBA can be better applied through your previous job experience.

TimG
08-29-2007, 04:04 PM
touched a sensitive nerve, did i? ;)

cressida_pimpin
08-29-2007, 06:29 PM
touched a sensitive nerve, did i? ;)

haha you sound like a high school dropout

JGerke
08-29-2007, 07:32 PM
nope, not a touch of sensitive nerve here, just reaffirming what the article was actually saying. High-school drop-out? not a chance, far beyond high-school here. Although you may have had some good copy and paste skills at the beginning of this thread, your contributions after that are the kind that are ruining beyond.ca. If you wish to attempt to start drama or be useless some more, I suggest PMing me your concerns.

Back on topic, what it comes down to is an MBA would be an excellent addition to your current education. The other options do not complement your existing degree but rather start you in a new field. A B Comm is another good option but a masters degree is clearly going to be better on your resume. I have taken the B Comm path if anyone is interested in questioning my education some more.

broken_legs
08-29-2007, 08:58 PM
I just bought one of the MBA test prep books at Indigo for 30% off. It has 12 complete practice tests 6 on CD and 6 in the book and it was only 33 dollars. woot!

I'm not sure if this is really for me or if I'll actually make it in to write the GMAT, but i really do appreciate all the great advice you guys had for me.

Thanks!

:)

TimG
08-30-2007, 08:11 AM
In my experience working in the high tech industry, MBAs have been nothing but a pain in the ass who make things 1000x more difficult than they should be.

For example, a previous manager was an engineer who was in the midst of his eMBA program. He was so affraid to make a decision (isn't that what they're supposed to do?) that he would wait until one of his peons was with him in front of the CTO/president and put them on the spot to make his decision for him and added "if this fails, it's on your shoulders." Add to that the incredible amount of micromanaging (he had 2 of us working on the exact same thing but physically separated us so we couldn't talk to each other) endless amounts of BS paperwork to justify buying a $20 item.

I realize that this is just one person, but I've had extremely poor experiences will ALL MBAs that i've dealt with in my career.

Common sense will always prevail. If you need to go to school to learn common sense, then you probably have other issues that you need to address before you get an MBA.

And to the people who can't seem to grasp thesis of the article I posted. It's not wealthy and successful people saying why MBAs are useless nor is it showing that they were successful without an MBA. Here are the Coles Notes:

"Business schools reward difficult, complex behavior more than simple behavior, but simple behavior is more effective." - Warren Buffett

"When I go to the Harvard Business School, I talk to them about the real world. At business schools they live and think in terms of organizational charts. But life is a spiderweb; everything crosses at odd angles." - Ross Perot

"You manage things, you lead people. We went overboard on management and forgot about leadership." - Grace Murray Hopper

I never said that MBAs are a waste of time. I'm just giving the other opinion (which seems to be unpopular, or are people just overly sensitive when I give the cons to getting an MBA?).

JGerke: congratulations on your B.Comm. I'm sure you'll find success in your future endeavors.

PaleRider
08-30-2007, 02:04 PM
I just bought one of the MBA test prep books at Indigo for 30% off. It has 12 complete practice tests 6 on CD and 6 in the book and it was only 33 dollars. woot!

I'm not sure if this is really for me or if I'll actually make it in to write the GMAT, but i really do appreciate all the great advice you guys had for me.

Thanks!

:)

Not sure what you got, according to a friend of mine who got 760 on GMAT, GMAT Official Guide is what you want, course = useless.

CLiVE
08-30-2007, 02:33 PM

I realize that this is just one person, but I've had extremely poor experiences will ALL MBAs that i've dealt with in my career.

Common sense will always prevail. If you need to go to school to learn common sense, then you probably have other issues that you need to address before you get an MBA.

[/B]

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, and like yourself I have also had some bad experiences working with some individuals with MBA's in the past (regardless of the school, U of C, Harvard, etc). In terms of decision-making I believe the example you gave would come down to the individual. MBA programs will teach decision-making methods, (KT analysis, 7 step, ) etc. and what measures to base decisions on, NPV, IRR, payback, etc. However I feel that as to how effectively these techniques are applied has nothing to do with the MBA itself, only the individuals own lack of decision-making capabilities.

Bottom line is, IMO it is a valuable program that provides the basic language necessary to properly manage a business (small or large). It will not make you an expert in every topic (Finance, HR, Project Mgmt, Marketing, etc.) but will provide you with the basics necessary to understand and facilitate decisions in these areas. Also you will find that many organizations will require an MBA (or recommend) for management positions. If it is a management position you are looking for I feel it will get you a lot further than a CFA, CA, LLB, etc. which may get you stuck in analytical, accounting, and legal career paths.