Palmiros
08-23-2007, 09:07 PM
http://www.gmcanada.com/gm/english/services/gmac/appraise-trade-in

ricosuave
08-23-2007, 09:14 PM
awesome thanks, didnt check the gm site

rc2002
08-23-2007, 10:32 PM
There's one on the toyota site as well if the gm one is down.

me&you
08-24-2007, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
There's one on the toyota site as well if the gm one is down.

But neither will give you more than a VERY BASIC start-point. The dealer didn't use that when taking whatever car in on trade and won't care if you can quote it when negotiating. They are there as a business and if they aren't making (enough) money on you, they'll take their chances and wait for the next guy.

rc2002
08-24-2007, 09:05 AM
They're both links to the exact same valuation system for Canadian cars. It's actually a really good starting point because you can see what the dealership would offer you if you were to trade in or sell a particular vehicle to them. Most used cars sell for more than black book value, but the black book lets you know how much of a premium you're paying for a car and how much you can expect back if you want to unload it quickly.

Mangina
08-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by me&you

The dealer didn't use that when taking whatever car in on trade and won't care if you can quote it when negotiating.

That's exactly what they use when they take a car in on trade.

RUQUIKR
08-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Mangina

That's exactly what they use when they take a car in on trade.

No actually, it isn't. If your are part of CMDA they mail you a suv/truck/van book once a month and a car book every 2 weeks. They are published by Canadianblackbook.com.

Mangina
08-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by RUQUIKR

No actually, it isn't. If your are part of CMDA they mail you a suv/truck/van book once a month and a car book every 2 weeks. They are published by Canadianblackbook.com.

Isn't that what I said? The Black book website and the actual black book are the same thing.

Orbie
08-24-2007, 03:12 PM

Isn't that what I said? The Black book website and the actual black book are the same thing.

Exactly, you go to most dealerships and ask for a quick and dirty quote on a trade in and the salesman will open the Canadian Black book site listed above and use that as a range for you.

I know Country Hills Toyota, Hyatt Infiniti and Brasso Nissan are a few of many that work this way. Of course selling privately will always get you a lot more than black book. The valuation is a good estimate for trade in at dealers (as they still need to recoup re-conditioning expenses as well as make a profit), but tells you nothing about how much the car is worth on the private market.

RUQUIKR
08-24-2007, 03:19 PM

Thats not true either, if you go to canadian black book you will find no qoutes, just links to manufacturers sites. Simply put we have books sent us from cbb for a reason. The toyota and gm bb are usually close but are not always accurate. I've seen a couple that were thousands off.

r0g3r
08-24-2007, 03:41 PM
whats a blue book? or a red book?

doublepostwhore
08-25-2007, 03:30 AM
black book = the value a consumer can get if he/she were to sell his car (considering depreciation) in a private sale.

Blue book = what the dealership will give you on a trade in/ selling it to the dealer.

Mangina
08-25-2007, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by RUQUIKR

Thats not true either, if you go to canadian black book you will find no qoutes, just links to manufacturers sites. Simply put we have books sent us from cbb for a reason. The toyota and gm bb are usually close but are not always accurate. I've seen a couple that were thousands off.

Are you saying you don't get prices on the website, because you do. It tells you whether your car is poor, average, clean, or extra clean and gives you a trade in value.

RUQUIKR
09-06-2007, 11:24 AM

Are you saying you don't get prices on the website, because you do. It tells you whether your car is poor, average, clean, or extra clean and gives you a trade in value.

I disagree heres the link.
http://www.canadianblackbook.com/
Nowhere on Canadain blackbook, the official publishers that supply almost all dealerships/auctions is there a way to get a qoute. You can go to a manufacturers site but not Canadian Blackbook as a stated in my post.