PDA

View Full Version : SAIT Info Tech 2007

Vagabond142
08-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Well, the AST guys have their own thread, so why can't we? :D :poosie:

Let's see if any of us are in the same classes. I'm in Network Systems, the E-schedule of classes.

brabus190e
08-25-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm also in network systems....but I think im in schedule D

Vagabond142
08-27-2007, 07:55 AM
Sitting here in the Crandell building waiting for my first class o_O First day jitters kicking in :P I'm, for once, excited to be here and ready to learn :D

Mibz
08-27-2007, 09:37 AM
I'm sitting somewhere in the same room as you are Vagabond.
I'm Matt, the guy with the Dallas Stars hat.

You are?

Vagabond142
08-27-2007, 09:38 AM
One seat behind and to the right.... white shirt with blue flames. Already falling asleep a bit with this rote reading of the course outline :P

Mibz
08-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Phenomenal. First time in post secondary?

Vagabond142
08-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Nope... did MRC 2001-2003, U of C 2003-2006 (Bachelor of Arts degree) and now SAIT

Toms-SC
08-27-2007, 11:10 AM
The BAI schedule is slack. I'm in school 2-4 today. :D

Mibz
08-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Well Simon, so far you haven't missed a whole lot. Just make sure you have your textbooks for World of IT and go over the course outline for it. We spent most of the class ice breaking and whatnot. The following was learned:
Some people are not from Calgary
I play tennis
A couple people like to cook

On lunch right now and lemme tell ya, being the only smoker in the class SUCKS. 4 years ago over half the class smoked, now I'm forced to talk to Business and Marketing people outside.

Vagabond142
08-29-2007, 11:30 AM
So just two beyonders in IT? :\

Ah well, learning binary <-> hexadecimal <-> decimal was fun in networking lab today. Also, started in on the CCNA level 1 lab book... fairly mundane but necessary stuff... can't wait to get into the level 2 stuff (you know you're a geek when a networking course makes ya excited :P)

cityhunter2501
08-29-2007, 12:14 PM
2nd year NNT here.

we're the most loved group:rofl:

LilDrunkenSmurf
08-29-2007, 02:13 PM
2nd year, final semester CNT here

Falling asleep in my class... I hate watching powerpoints... and I think i'm getting sick at the same time... ahhh what a day

vtec
08-29-2007, 05:53 PM
how do you guys like this course?
I was planning on taking this year next year
What are your future plans after graduation?

Vagabond142
08-31-2007, 04:40 PM
vtec: so far, after 1 week, it's been a bit hectic but pretty fun. My networking theory teacher is a total nutter, which is a good thing :D But you gotta be there or you miss out on a lot of stuff, as I found out from being sick on Monday o_O

cityhunter2501
08-31-2007, 06:03 PM
who's your CCNA instructor vaga?

so far its been pretty slack for us 2nd year NNT, just reviewing stuff, good thing is we only have 5 courses this sem.
I sure hope I get the lab monitor job.

vtec, my plan after graduating is to get a job as network admin in a company, server is ok too as I find it fun aswell.
but I'm also planning to get a CCSP certificate

Vagabond142
08-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Cityhunter: My lab instructor is Alex Schmidt and my theory instructor is Wes Jamieson (the nutter)

USHER
08-31-2007, 06:38 PM
haha alex is just as wierd

Vagabond142
09-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Alex likes to giggle every 5 seconds or so. They're both weird, but I think that adds character to the class, instead of the monotone lecturers I had at the U of C. I'm actually much more awake and paying attention at SAIT, all the teachers seem to want to really be there and really want to teach, which is a huge difference over University. I enjoy it at SAIT much more, also because SAIT is a ***LOT*** more hands on.

Hell, in the first week, I've a) written two programs, b) tested the voltage outputs of a power supply, c) learned binary <-> decimal <-> hexadecimal conversions and d) done two personality tests in comms class. Plus having a school provided laptop REALLY rocks.

Vagabond142
09-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Oh, and to answer VTEC's question about what i wanna do afterwards: I honestly hope to get into network and/or server administration, much along the same line as Cityhunter. I will also be doing hte CCNA 1-2 exam this winter and the CCNA 3-4 (the certification exam) in spring. At the end of the second year I hope to challenge for my CCNP exam and graduate with my CCNP credentials. With my tech knowledge, I also want to challenge for my A+ technical certification. I know it's a lot of certifications, but being able to run a network AND fix computers and be certified for both is a big plus on the resume.

Toms-SC
09-06-2007, 08:37 AM
FYI: For any of the second year NNT students that end up with Richard Fischer for CCNP 4 prepare to self teach yourself the course. He is possibly the worst teacher I've had in my life.

Just an update from the BAIS program - very worth it. The work load is super duty heavy. 6 classes with 4 team term projects. Class size is small at 15 students. I can get into more detail if anybody is super interested.

LilDrunkenSmurf
09-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Cityhunter: My lab instructor is Alex Schmidt and my theory instructor is Wes Jamieson (the nutter)

I'm in Alex's class right now... He's my PROJ 350 teacher... haha

He's talking about ipods

Edit: Dylan Saunders is a great guy, but I hate his operating systems class. All we do is watch powerpoints... Nyquil makes me less sleepy.

cityhunter2501
09-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
FYI: For any of the second year NNT students that end up with Richard Fischer for CCNP 4 prepare to self teach yourself the course. He is possibly the worst teacher I've had in my life.

Just an update from the BAIS program - very worth it. The work load is super duty heavy. 6 classes with 4 team term projects. Class size is small at 15 students. I can get into more detail if anybody is super interested.

does the 1st year IT NS have Richard Fischer for CCNA 1? we had him and yeah he is terrible. hope we dont get him no more and get Steve Hosier instead.

hey Tom-SC I'm interested on the BAIS, do you still work while taking it? how many courses?
I was planning to take it mainly for CCSP

Toms-SC
09-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501

hey Tom-SC I'm interested on the BAIS, do you still work while taking it? how many courses?
I was planning to take it mainly for CCSP

I don't work while doing it, other people do but I really do think it is going to effect their marks. It is 6 courses with 4 of them having team-term projects. It is very different from your normal SAIT programs. You are expected to be a self learner and mature. There is 0 hand holding. Classes are longer with the normal being 4 hours. They have combined the lab and theory classes.

Here are the courses and descriptions for my first semester:

Business Management for IST Pro's - A really useful business course geared for IT people. It is really damn good course packed with good things you'll use in day to day IT life. It is gearing you up to think more like a manager and less like a peon. Term project is finding a company and doing a business profile.

Network Management Research Project - Make/program your own SNMP tool using PERL/SNMP/Linux/Apache/php. Term project is making the tool work. Really useful again.

Network Databases - I am on the fence about this class. It appears to be part of a business course. You have to build a network database using Oracle and Access. I wish I could get in more detail but it does not make full sense to me right now. Term project is making the database.

Windows Security - Amazing. It is dubbed the 'hack' course for a reason. There is a set up outside line not associated with SAIT due to the things we do in this class. We use Windows 2003 and learn intrusion detection, hack methods, windows hardening. My favorite class right now.

Unix Security - Same as above. We are using Ubuntu server. Command line only, no GUI allowed.

Requirements Engineering - Another business class geared towards IT. Term project is to get a company to sponsor you and you create a project for them and come up with a proposal. It is pretty different.... Term project is the proposal.

I spoke to Connie's 2nd year OS class last week. Were you in it?

Mibz
09-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501

does the 1st year IT NS have Richard Fischer for CCNA 1? we had him and yeah he is terrible. hope we dont get him no more and get Steve Hosier instead.

I was planning to take it mainly for CCSP We've got Jason Fisher but not Richard Fischer.

cityhunter2501
09-06-2007, 12:59 PM

I don't work while doing it, other people do but I really do think it is going to effect their marks. It is 6 courses with 4 of them having team-term projects. It is very different from your normal SAIT programs. You are expected to be a self learner and mature. There is 0 hand holding. Classes are longer with the normal being 4 hours. They have combined the lab and theory classes.

Here are the courses and descriptions for my first semester:

Business Management for IST Pro's - A really useful business course geared for IT people. It is really damn good course packed with good things you'll use in day to day IT life. It is gearing you up to think more like a manager and less like a peon. Term project is finding a company and doing a business profile.

Network Management Research Project - Make/program your own SNMP tool using PERL/SNMP/Linux/Apache/php. Term project is making the tool work. Really useful again.

Network Databases - I am on the fence about this class. It appears to be part of a business course. You have to build a network database using Oracle and Access. I wish I could get in more detail but it does not make full sense to me right now. Term project is making the database.

Windows Security - Amazing. It is dubbed the 'hack' course for a reason. There is a set up outside line not associated with SAIT due to the things we do in this class. We use Windows 2003 and learn intrusion detection, hack methods, windows hardening. My favorite class right now.

Unix Security - Same as above. We are using Ubuntu server. Command line only, no GUI allowed.

Requirements Engineering - Another business class geared towards IT. Term project is to get a company to sponsor you and you create a project for them and come up with a proposal. It is pretty different.... Term project is the proposal.

I spoke to Connie's 2nd year OS class last week. Were you in it?

if the class was composed mainly of white ppl then no. as my group is multi race ahah

Vagabond142
09-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Just as a question: what kind of career does BAIS lead you towards vs just the regular ITNS program? I want a good career and working with computers and networks and all, but are those extra two years worth it?

Toms-SC
09-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Just as a question: what kind of career does BAIS lead you towards vs just the regular ITNS program? I want a good career and working with computers and networks and all, but are those extra two years worth it?

It is not a full two years. You have one year of regular school (8 months) and a one year work practicum. SAIT attempts to help set you up at a pretty big company. The BAIS gets more technical and more management skills. SAIT is hoping to set you up to become a leader with this course.

Competition is harsh to get into this course. Don't fuck up. :thumbsup:

cityhunter: What day/time do you have Connies class? I can attempt to take a spin by during her lab class.

cityhunter2501
09-07-2007, 10:05 AM
our Connie lab is thursday afternoon 3-5 and friday 1-3
theres 2 of us beyonders in my group

btw anyone interested on buying the Cisco CCNA/NP equipments I bought from pacman couple of months ago?
got the job as lab monitor at sait so I can practice anytime at school.
500$ which is how much I paid for.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/183595/fs-cisco-ccna-ccnp-equipment-routers-and-switch-complete-lab/

Vagabond142
09-07-2007, 01:06 PM
So I'll still get a good job and education with ITNS? I really want to get into server/network administration with a decent company (ie decent pay, good company, etc).

I'll be challenging for my A+ tech certification in the summer 2008 and CCNA is within the school curriculum so I will automatically have my CCNA by the end of this school year

ryder_23
09-07-2007, 02:39 PM

ditto

Vagabond142
09-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Ryder: are you in my class o_O? I'm first year, first semester, section E

Vagabond142
09-12-2007, 12:39 PM
bump for great justice :thumbsup:

cityhunter2501
09-12-2007, 01:28 PM
well lab monitors are up, and I'm lab monitor monday-tuesday and sometimes on the weekend in MD111.
we got the upgraded hardwares over MD024 :D

so how you liking INT vaga?

Vagabond142
09-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Well, so far we haven't really done much apart from bin <-> hex <-> dec, basic network logic, logical symbols and today we did cable termination wooo! :zzz: Programming is kicking me in the ass, might try to find a tutor for it (Java = t3h suck). Pro Comms is going well, and harware is my :zzz: :zzz: class, so far 100/100 on everything.

As to how I like it? I like it lots... it's much more fun that university or even MRC, because I really have a vested interest and genuine enjoyment from the material, plus SAIT is so much more hands on than MRC or UofC. I'm a very tactile learner so the hands on stuff really helps me out :D

cityhunter2501
09-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Well, so far we haven't really done much apart from bin &lt;-&gt; hex &lt;-&gt; dec, basic network logic, logical symbols and today we did cable termination wooo! :zzz: Programming is kicking me in the ass, might try to find a tutor for it (Java = t3h suck). Pro Comms is going well, and harware is my :zzz: :zzz: class, so far 100/100 on everything.

As to how I like it? I like it lots... it's much more fun that university or even MRC, because I really have a vested interest and genuine enjoyment from the material, plus SAIT is so much more hands on than MRC or UofC. I'm a very tactile learner so the hands on stuff really helps me out :D
wow you guys get to program in java?
1st sem we had to program #!/bin/bash
2nd sem we had perl

Vagabond142
09-12-2007, 03:44 PM
my second sem will = perl :eek:

ryder_23
09-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Ryder: are you in my class o_O? I'm first year, first semester, section E

Think i'm in D or something, i really have no idea, but i know ur not in my class

Vagabond142
09-18-2007, 08:44 AM
Info tech BUMPAGE ftw:thumbsup: :hitit:

Vagabond142
09-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Don't forget to come to the Info Tech Gaming Takeover of the Crandell building tomorrow afternoon. As soon as classes are over (4 or 5 pm) we're setting up a Wii and some X360's in the classrooms :D

Vagabond142
10-04-2007, 11:41 AM
le bumpity bump bump as midterms week creeps closer :O

Toms-SC
10-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Hey NNT tards,

Disable your network admin accounts or change the default passwords. A couple of your classmates almost lost their World of War craft .dll's if it was not for me feeling generous. You've been warned. :devil:

cityhunter2501
10-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Hey NNT tards,

Disable your network admin accounts or change the default passwords. A couple of your classmates almost lost their World of War craft .dll's if it was not for me feeling generous. You've been warned. :devil:

haha :werd: :werd:
thats a warning for any sait students with laptops.

it was the first thing our win server instructor told us to do.

should hang on the study hall Toms and check out other people hard drive :bigpimp: