PDA

View Full Version : How to sell a car?

eblend
08-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Hello,

I may have a buyer for my vehicle soon and I need to know what all is needed to transfer ownership to the buyer and all that.

Can anyone fill me in?

Thank You

2006lancer
08-25-2007, 11:32 AM
sign your registration on the back of it and maybe make a bill of sale so there are no problems later.

Doozer
08-25-2007, 11:53 AM
It's a good idea to have slightly more than signing the back of your registration, but it's true, that's really all you need to do.

Make sure you insurance company is notified of the cancellation/change, and make sure you cancel the registration.

When I sold my car last year, I downloaded a bill of sale off the internet, printed out two copies which we each both signed, and that was it. I can't attach .pdf files to this message, but PM if you want and I'll send it to you.

r0g3r
08-25-2007, 12:32 PM
we have to cancel registration? i just thot when the buyer registers the car it will override yours? damn i didn't know. what happens if you don't cancel the registration but changed your insurance and also completed the bill of sale.

G-ZUS
08-25-2007, 12:55 PM
^^ WHen you register your new car, it'll take your old one off

Doozer
08-25-2007, 02:52 PM
The reason I say you should cancel your own registration is because personally, I don't like the "grey" area between the time you sell the car, and the time someone else registers it.

If you sold it on Monday, and they don't register it immediately (I think the buyer has 2 weeks?) and it's involved in an accident or something on Wednesday, I want to make sure I'm completely in the clear. The bill of sale is all you need to prove it, but the cops will still knock on your door, ask you about the car, and you'll have to show the papers, etc.

Personally, I just don't want the hassle that goes along with someone else's problem. When the car leaves my house, I just go the extra distance to make sure my name is completely removed from it.

r0g3r
08-26-2007, 01:30 PM
oh ok i got ya. thanks for the heads up.